T.O. Greenspiration Events - Eco Sex

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 5 19:55:16 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Blessings of the New Year! Here's to a nuke-less 2014 and a nuke-free future!
-a
p.s. Need a bicycle wall calendar? I have some from Cyclo Nord Sud. For $10 I'll get you one to you.
http://cyclonordsud.org/fr/calendrier

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

That was the year that was…2013’s highs and lows - Blog by Elizabeth May
http://elizabethmaymp.ca/news/blogs/2013/12/31/that-was-the-year-that-was-2013s-highs-and-lows/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What can “anybody” tell Obama about the Keystone XL?
Fantastic Visual Essay By Franke James
http://bit.ly/1e3cBHS

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fast for the climate
People from all walks of life are fasting to stand in solidarity with vulnerable people who are most affected by dangerous climate impacts. By choosing not to eat on the first day of every month, a growing movement of fasters are calling for world leaders to act to confront the climate crisis.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1n85ZMaTJC4vF9jvOmsSmVJ2ZelGP87pkN_huW9S8X_4/viewform

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Portland made it through 2013 with zero bike fatalities
Good goal for Toronto!
We get on average 4 fatalities. Shame. What's a cyclist's life worth? Surely the cost of some bike infrastructure.
http://grist.org/list/portland-made-it-through-2013-with-zero-bike-fatalities/?utm_source=syndication&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=feed&utm_reader=feedly

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More Than Honey

Tue, Jan 7 6:30 PM
Wed, Jan 8 3:30 PM
Thu, Jan 9 9:30 PM
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 50 Bloor W (at Bathurst)

Oscar-nominated director Markus Imhoof’s More Than Honey examines why numerous colonies of bees have been decimated throughout the world over the past 15 years, without known cause. Depending on the world region, 50 to 90 per cent of all local bees have disappeared, and this epidemic is still spreading from beehive to beehive – all over the planet. Scientists have found a name for the phenomenon that matches its scale, “colony collapse disorder,” and they have good reason to be worried: 80 per cent of plant species require bees to be pollinated. Without bees, there is no pollination, and fruits and vegetables could disappear from the face of the Earth. The honey bee is as indispensable to the economy as it is to man’s survival. As Einstein said 50 years ago: "If bees were to disappear from the globe, mankind would only have four years left to live."
http://prod5.agileticketing.net/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=18667~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&#.UsCSSuBTRfV

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto 350.org - weekly meeting

Every Tuesday, 7 - 9 pm
The meetings are nearly always on U of T campus, though the exact room changes from week to week.
Email: operations at toronto350.org or toronto350 at gmail.com for information on that week's location.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Disaster in Bangladesh

Wed. Jan. 8, 7:45 pm - 8:45 pm
Centre 55 – 97 Main St. (south of Gerrard)

You are invited to a community discussion on the global impact of climate change with:
-  Nasima Akter, PhD, EP, is the Executive Director of the Bangladeshi-Canadian Community Services (BCS)
-  Tanzil Islam, Master’s in Environmental Studies and member of East End Against Line 9.
Many of us are worried about the impact of Canada’s energy policies. Canada relies too much on tar sands oil, which endangers our environment and contributes to climate change around the world. Bangladesh, a dynamic but economically precarious country in South Asia, is suffering greatly from the effects of climate change.
Organized by East End Against Line 9, an independent community committee.
http://tcan.ca/event/discussion-%25E2%2580%2598climate-disaster-bangladesh%25E2%2580%2599

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Factory Farms: Behind The Scenes

Wed. Jan. 8, 6:30 pm.
Brentwood Library, 36 Brentwood N.
Free.
Talk on why we should be concerned about factory farming.
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/listing.cfm?listingid=800075920&subsection=&category=&nav=1

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Happy and Healthy Between The Sheets - 2 Talks 1 Evening
With Anarres Natural Health and Toy Time with Tynan

Friday, Jan. 10, 7 - 10 p.m.
The industrialREALarts room, 688 Richmond Street West
Free in advance online here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/happy-and-healthy-between-the-sheets-tickets-9539377535
or $15 at the door

How to keep toxins out of the bedroom with effective contraception and funky toys that won't ruin your fun. We hear and talk about toxins in our foods and body care products.
When it comes to our sexual play, we don't hear or talk about non toxic alternatives. Anarres Natural Health has teamed up with Toy Time with Tynan to bring non-toxic living into your bedroom! We'll talk about:  Lubes that give you yeast infections? Lotions that grow breast cancer tumours? Sensual massage oils made from petroleum "oil", "colours" and "fragrances"? Toys that leach hormone disrupting chemicals? REALLY???? Really. What are the healthy options for ourselves and our planet?!?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/happy-and-healthy-between-the-sheets-tickets-9539377535
https://www.facebook.com/events/751623068199433/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show

Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anti-Semitism From A Personal Perspective

Sat. Jan. 11, 1:30 p.m.
OISE, rm 3-311, 252 Bloor W.
Free
Humanist Assoc talk by Martin Klein.
humanist.toronto.on.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Honour Thy Neil

Sun. Jan. 12, 3 - 6 p.m.
Cameron House, 408 Queen St. W.

so it seems that mr. Neil Young is using his star power to raise awareness and stand up against the tar sands ! thanks to legal scalping sites, tickets became scarce far too quickly - butttt, rather than lament, why not make a day of it? before the big guy hits the stage at Massey Hall, come on out to the Cameron House front room for a celebration of Neil Young's music and to help spread awareness of tar sands issues, including the dreadful Line 9 proposal that may be approved early in 2014. there will be a focus on the next steps we can take, especially if the Line 9 approval goes through, to help the fight against arguably the most environmentally destructive industry on the planet.
https://www.facebook.com/events/188402034696244/?previousaction=join&source=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eco-Schools And Environmental Stewards, The Next Generation

Sun. Jan. 12, 10:30 a.m.
Howard Park Tennis Club, 430 Parkside
Free
Discussion on environmental initiatives that are changing our schools and their students.
highparknature.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Frolick Winter Fun at Opulence

Sundays, 6 - 10:30 p.m. (Weekly)
Opulence, 238 Christie St.
Time to cavort and be merry with a January/February Frolick Fairy Folklore intensive. I’ve been developing Frolick’s season for 2014, and it’s time for Frolick to scamper, skip and prance it’s way back to its roots in fairy-tales and folklore. With material from the Red, Green and Blue Fairy Books - these Classic Fairytales and folklore from Europe have so much drama and magic in them - they’re bound to bemuse!
https://www.facebook.com/events/136295356556765/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Deadly Dangers of Misusing Medication – an Oss Talk

Tues. Jan. 14
7 p.m. - Sergio Gonzalez Alvarez
7:30 p.m. - Interview with David Carmichael
The Ossington, 61 Ossington (just north of Queen)
Free.

Sergio Gonzalez Alvarez is a Cuban rhythm guitarist.
David Carmichael will speak about the Deadly Dangers of Misusing Medication

The misuse and abuse of prescription drugs and over-the-counter medication is becoming a major public health concern across the country. David Carmichael, media relations officer at RxISK.org, will speak to these growing health concerns. David will also share his own tragic story that was caused by self-medicating with the antidepressant Paxil in 2004. Three weeks after starting Paxil and 2 weeks after increasing his dosage to a therapeutic level, David killed his 11-year-old son Ian. He was charged with first degree murder. David was diagnosed as being in a “major depression” with “psychotic episodes” when he took the life of Ian and was judged to be Not Criminally Responsible. He received an absolute discharge from the Ontario Review Board in 2009 and now educates the public about medication safety.

Oss Talks are a community conversation, held the 2nd Tues. of each month at The Ossington, hosted by Angela Bischoff of Greenspiration and Ontario Clean Air Alliance. For more info or to volunteer your talent, angela at cleanairalliance.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/175519245989262/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in