T.O. Greenspiration Events: Words are not enough

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 19 20:03:33 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

“I hope that we can make a difference for our grandchildren. That’s why we’re here. That’s why I’m here. I want my grandchildren to grow up and look up and see a blue sky and have dreams that their grandchildren are going to do great things. And I don’t see that today in Canada.” Neil Young. http://www.drawtheline.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Please sign my petition to Ontario's party leaders
to oppose OPG's request for a 30% price increase for new nuclear projects.
We have lower cost and greener options to meeting our electricity needs. Thanks! -a
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/government-of-ontario-stop-opg-s-30-price-increase

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Homelessness – Words Are Not Enough
Please sign the petition to send a message to your City Councillor to reject cuts to crucial homeless prevention services so that our most vulnerable residents are not left out in the cold.
http://togethertoronto.ca/campaigns/housing-stabilization-fund#sthash.FGLvJtDf.dpuf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Update on BIXI

In December 2013, the City finalized purchase of BIXI, taking ownership of the program, and vesting it with the Toronto Parking Authority (Green P). This move puts the bike sharing program on a solid financial footing. Plans are already in place to expand to at least 22 new stations. Thanks to all of Toronto's cycling advocates, particularly CycleTO for helping to make this happen.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Petropolis - Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands
42 min. film
http://vimeo.com/71726600

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Active Transport News

Plan to allow scooters in bike lanes blocked http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196177
City way behind on bike lane target http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196065
The Dramatic Makeover of New York's Streets http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2014/01/dramatic-makeover-new-york-citys-streets/7996/#.UsWyAitxTfE.email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Power of Nonviolence, a Martin Luther King Day Forum

Mon. Jan. 20, 7 pm - 9:30 pm
Friends Meetinghouse, 60 Lowther Ave
Pwyc. With:
- Jill Carr-Harris, nonviolent action in India
- Lee McKenna, nonviolence in South Sudan.
- Vanessa Gray, nonviolent action for environmental justice in Aamjiwnaang and on Line 9
http://vowpeace.org/event/the-power-of-nonviolence-a-martin-luther-king-day-forum/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care? CETA

Monday, January 20, 7:30 p.m. (doors open 7 p.m.)
Duke of York, 39 Prince Arthur Ave.
Free!
Our next Why Should I Care? event will take place on Monday, January 20, where experts will be discussing the Canada/E.U. Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA). Catherine Swift, Chair of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business and Stuart Trew, a trade campaigner from the Council of Canadians, will discuss the pros and cons of such a sweeping agreement with our European neighbors. How will CETA affect local jobs? What does it mean for the environment? Will there be cost consequences on our goods and services?
www.whyshouldicare.ca / https://www.facebook.com/wsic.canada / www.twitter.com/WSIC_Canada
RSVP: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/wsic-about-the-canadaeu-comprehensive-economic-and-trade-agreement-tickets-10025888703

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Race and Work

Monday January 20, 6:30 – 9 pm
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street (near Spadina and College)
First in a series of forums on Good Jobs for All from an Equity perspective. Join us in this very important discussion as we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. With speakers:
* Grace-Edward Galabuzi -- Colour of Poverty - Colour of Change
* Tam Goossen, Moderator -- Good Jobs For All Coalition
* Deena Ladd -- Workers Action Centre
* Andria Babbington -- Toronto & York Region Labour Council
* Gilary Massa -- Ryerson Students Union
* Gary Pieters -- Urban Alliance on Race Relations
https://www.facebook.com/events/1437196789830538/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Veg 101: Sustainable Healthy Eating Made Easy

Tues. Jan. 21, 7 p.m.
Barbara Frum Library, 20 Covington
Free
Talk by Toronto Vegetarian Assoc director David Alexander.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Weathering the Storms
a Lake Ontario Evening

Tuesday January 21, doors open at 6 pm, presentations start at 6:30 pm
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen Street West
Free
Do you remember the massive flood this summer that left parts of Toronto underwater?
Interested in finding out more about climate change, future flooding risks and Toronto's plans to lessen the damage of extreme weather events?
If so, please join us for the next edition ofLake Ontario Evenings - "Weathering the Storms" which will feature the following presentations:
· "Water: The New Fire" - Glenn McGillivray, Institute of Catastrophic Loss Reduction
· "Extreme Storms, Urban Flooding and Toronto's Response" - Ted Bowering, Toronto Water
· "The Impacts of Watershed Urbanization on Flood Risk" - Ryan Ness, Toronto and Region Conservation
http://tcan.ca/event/lake-ontario-evenings-weathering-storms

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

"3 Women" on CiUT 89.5 FM
with NDP MPP for Parkdale Cheri DiNovo

Every Tuesday morning between 9 and 10 a.m.
A platform for women's perspectives on a variety of topics and issues.  From the Premier and MPs to activists and academics, we have had the privilege of having numerous women of power and influence as guests on our show. Please tune in, and don't forget to call into the show if you have a question or comment you'd like to share.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Arctic Defenders

Tue, Jan 21, 6:30 p.m.
Wed, Jan 22, 8:45 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W (at Bathurst)

Award-winning director John Walker has a long history of documenting the Canadian experience, and in Arctic Defendershe charts the remarkable story of how Canada’s newest territory, Nunavut, was created. It’s an amazing story that reveals many discoveries and developments that have never been discussed in the media. The battle began in 1968 with a young Inuit man who had a grand dream to reclaim land so the Inuit could have governance of their own territory. Along with a small group of Inuit radicals, a long and difficult confrontation ensued with a government that was reluctant to relax their sovereignty in the North. Thirty-one years later however, their dream finally came true with the creation and recognition of Nunavut—the largest territorial land re-visioning to ever take place. It’s an amazing testament of how perseverance and unwavering tenacity by even a small group of individuals can help re-build a country’s modern day identity.
http://prod5.agileticketing.net/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=18627~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&#.UsCTg-BTRfU

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Through their eyes - Fundraiser for MarineLand whistleblowers

Wed. Jan. 22, 7 p.m.
Wrongbar, 1279 Queen St. W.
$20 donation at the door and all proceeds go to their legal fund.
What if Politicians could see through the eyes of animals? Join us for a silent art auction (politicians looking through animal eyes) and fundraiser for Phil Demers and the whistleblower trainers who were fired from MarineLand and then sued. Music by: DJ Adam Khan
https://www.facebook.com/events/659037714134895/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toxin Toxout: book launch

Wed. January 22, 6 – 7 p.m.
CSI-Spadina, 215 Spadina Ave.
Free
From the authors of the bestselling Slow Death by Rubber Duck comes Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World. After showing us all the ways that toxins get in our bodies, now they give us a guide for scrubbing those toxins out. Following the runaway success of their first book, Bruce Lourie and Rick Smith give practical and often surprising advice for removing toxic chemicals from our bodies and homes. There are over 80,000 synthetic chemicals in commerce today, including hormone-disrupting phthalates and parabens, cancer-causing pesticides, heavy metals and air pollutants.
Please rsvp with your name and affiliation to rsvp at sustainabilitynetwork.ca
For More Information: sustainabilitynetwork.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Olivia Chow Launching her memoir, My Journey
with performances by Shukri Dualeh and Jaydahmann.

Wed. Jan. 22, 7 pm.
Trinity-St Paul's United Church, 427 Bloor W
Free.
oliviachowbooklaunch at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Your Park, Your Ideas
Share your ideas for the proposed urban park and waterfront trail at Ontario Place.
Wed. Jan. 22, 6 pm.
Metro Convention Centre North Bldg, rm 104, 255 Front W
Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spadina Lunch n' Learn: Keeping Healthy With Common Kitchen Herbs

Wed. January 22, noon - 1 p.m.
CSI Spadina, 215 Spadina Ave., 4th floor lounge
Free
Stay healthy this winter! Learn how common kitchen herbs can help you to get and stay well. Herbalist Danette Steele will be preparing some hot herbal teas for you to enjoy with your lunch while she teaches you about the medicinal uses of common plants and how to prepare effective remedies for health and wellness.
For More Information:  heather at socialinnovation.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Solidarity Protest With African Migrants in Israel! End Immigration Detention!

Wed. January 22, 4 pm
Israeli Consulate, 180 Bloor West
Join No One Is Illegal outside the Israeli Consulate in Toronto in solidarity with African migrants in Israel fighting for justice and freedom. As thousands of African migrants take to the streets, and strike actions escalate in Israel, we are being called to take on solidarity actions around the world. Join us in condemning Israel's apartheid policies that deny African migrants and Palestinian refugees the freedom to stay, and the the right to return.
www.facebook.com/events/526000577514567/
https://twitter.com/Freedom4Refugee

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food & Mood

Wed. Jan. 23, 7 p.m.
OISE, rm 4422, 252 Bloor W.
$10-$15 (pwyc available)
Holistic nutritionist Joy McCarthy talks about beating the winter blues.
orthomolecularhealth.com

 ---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Long Term Care Services Public Meeting
With NDP MPP Peter Tabuns and Judith Wahl E.D. Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)

Thur. Jan. 23, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Woodgreen Health and Wellness centre, 721 Broadview Ave.(s. of Danforth Ave.)
Health Care Consent; Advance Care Planning; Hospital Discharge and Transfers; Retirement Homes and LongTerm care facility advocacy
https://www.facebook.com/events/648905428489537/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy - with Barry Kent MacKay on wild bird advocacy in ON
Thur. Jan. 23, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room 507 of 100 St. George
The first half is a talk and the second half discussion. All are welcome (including 4 legged friends, provided they are relatively quiet and friendly).
via PaulYork AnimalRights

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Activist Workshop: How to lobby on Proportional Representation

Thursday January 23, 7 - 9 pm
Metro Hall, Room 308/309, 55 John St (at King)
Proportional Representation 101 - with Kelly Carmichael, Executive Dir. of Fair Vote Canada
Lobby 101 - with Lynn McDonald, former MP and environment critic
Chair: John Deverell, Journalist and co-founder of Fair Vote Canada
Followed by groups discussions on both subjects
https://m.facebook.com/events/657686790936226
http://www.electoralalliance.ca/activist-workshop-how-lobby-proportional-representation

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Healthy Public Policy through an Environmental Justice Lens: Stories from the Trenches
with Sarah Wakefield, Associate Professor, Department of Geography and Program in Planning, University of Toronto

Thur. Jan. 23, 4:10 p.m.
Room 257, University College, 15 King’s College Circle
Free
www.environment.utoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public Transit as an Instrument of Freedom

Thur. Jan. 23, 7 p.m.
St. Paul's Church, Great Hall, 227 Bloor St. E. (Bloor and Church)
How can public transit facilitate prosperity? City Planning, in partnership with Metrolinx, invite you to a keynote address by transit planner, author and blogger Jarrett Walker, followed by a discussion with Cheif Planner Jennifer Keesmaat.
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/5e12dec7cf3f22df0ae13fc69/images/feelingcongestedjan23.jpg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Campus Democracy unConference

Fri. Jan. 24, 1 - 5 p.m.
Hart House,U of T
Hosted by Unlock Democracy, the purpose of the unConference is to bring together students to discuss the purpose and place of student democracy in building a greater culture of democracy in Canada. At an unConference, YOU get to set the agenda! Some topics may include:
• Alternative voting systems for campus democracy.
• The role of student democracy in building good citizenship practices.
• The powers and purpose of student government.
• How do we measure democracy on campus, and compare universities to each other?
As Canadians continue to lose faith in our elected governments and voter turnout continues to decline at all levels – how can we transform student government into a role model, leading by example and providing a positive alternative to democratic decline?
https://www.facebook.com/events/198357583686516/?source=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority

Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/
I was on this program last week talking nukes and alternatives http://greenmajority.ca/2013/12/13/tgm-121313/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fight for Fair Wages! Public forum

Friday January 24, 6:30 pm
William Doo Auditorum, 25 Willcocks St. (Corner of Willcocks St. and Spadina, 2 blocks south of Harbord St.)
* Leaders from Fight for 15, on retail worker strikes in Chicago and across the US
* Sterling Harders, Working Washington, on winning a $15 minimum wage at Seattle-Tacoma airport
* Speakers from the Campaign to Raise the Minimum wage
* Spoken Word by Ritalin, music by DJ No Capitalista
Join the fight for a $14 minimum wage!
Find out more and get updates at
https://www.facebook.com/events/608238165909898/
http://raisetheminimumwage.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The New Normal: Canada-Israel Links, Palestinian Rights & the Academic Boycott

Friday, Jan 24, 7 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bloor)
A "Faculty 4 Palestine" public forum explore the relationship between the intensification of Canada-Israel links and the expanding movement for academic boycott. And to learn more about Faculty 4 Palestine new campaign!  In May 2013, renowned scientist Stephen Hawking made front-page news around the world when, in support of the academic boycott. Since then a number of other victories continue in the US and elsewhere. Despite this, Canadian institutions are signing agreements seeking intensification of normalizing ties with Israel. Speakers Linda Tabar, (UofT), Sue Ferguson (WLU-Brantford) and Blair Kuntz (UofT).
http://beitzatoun.org/event/the-new-normal-canada-israel-links-palestinian-rights-and-the-academic-boycott/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

After Bedford Vs. Canada: What Next For Regulating Sex Work In Canada?
Forum with six experts including Chreyl Auger, Christa Big Canoe and Jamie Cameron.

Fri. Jan. 24, 3:30 pm.
University College, rm 179, 15 King's College Circle, U of T
Free.
adriel.weaver at mail.utoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to make your online petition campaign successful

Sat. Jan. 25, 1.30 - 4:30 p.m.
This workshop will outline basic best practices for setting up an online petition, how to build support and get your signature counts climbing, and finally how to use your petition to escalate your campaign for victory!   Please bring your fully charged lap top or smart phone.  This event is co-sponsored by Change.org and Tools for Change.
Facilitator: Lauryn Drainie is a campaigner with Change.org.
Register now https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/how-to-make-your-online-petition-campaign-successful-tickets-9463518639

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

East End Sustainability Network (EESN)

Sat. Jan. 25, 9:45 a.m. - noon
East End Community Health Centre - 1619 Queen Street East (at Coxwell)
MPs Matthew Kellway (Beaches-East York) and Craig Scott (Toronto-Danforth) are calling on all citizens and community groups concerned about the sustainability of our urban environment to join together to form an East End Sustainability Network (EESN). This is a time when working to create sustainable communities can be isolating and demoralizing – and yet so very necessary. More than ever, groups and individuals who are passionate about and invigorated by working towards a healthy, participatory community need to listen to, connect with and support each other.
https://www.facebook.com/events/263755483775735/?fref=tck
matthew.kellway.c1a at parl.gc.ca or by calling 416.467.0860

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSoil Workshop

Saturday, January 25, 4 - 6 p.m.
1131 St. Clair West
Join ChocoSol’s Byron Koss for a 2 hour interactive workshop exploring our ChocoSoil project. Learn about how ChocoSol creates a closed-loop cradle-to-cradle culture within our production systems, and how we up-cycle cacao shells, cacao char, paper towels, and food scraps into our worm composters to create value add products and solutions to urban soil amendment and food production. Attendees will participate in demonstrations on our roasting, winnowing, and grow light operations, as well as hands-on activities such as sifting cacao shells, mixing ChocoSoil blends, and feeding the worm composters. Eating and drinking chocolate samples will be provided!
$25 per person (cash please).
A minimum of 10 people are needed. Maximum 15.
Attendees also have the opportunity to purchase ChocoSoil products at a reduced price.
To reserve your spot, please email info at chocosoltraders.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/274910265992619

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Iran in (Re)View: Towards Solidarity Beyond Borders

Saturday January 25th, 2014
12:30 Registration
1-7 PM Conference
Multi-faith Centre main activity hall, 569 Spadina Avenue
Iran’s politics and society continue to be the focus of public discussions across the world. Yet rarely does the complexity deserving of these subjects receive adequate consideration. Iran in (Re)View aims to make this complexity legible. Rather than reproducing conventional narratives and convenient clichés, perpetuated by the mainstream media and the ruling classes, the organizers of this conference intend to foster an open atmosphere for the exchange of critical and alternative perspectives. This dialogue will address a range of key issues pertaining to social, economic and political realities of Iran today. These include: the workings of class in the Islamic Republic, movements for social and economic justice - particularly those of the working class, women, students, and LGBTQ - the effects of economic sanctions, and the threats of war by the US and its allies, including the Canadian government.
https://www.facebook.com/events/260393117449112/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Egypt, Three Years Later: Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Saturday, Jan 25, 7 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bathurst)
The world remembers January 25, 2011 as the beginning of the Egyptian Revolution and a key date in the "Arab Spring."  It inspired the world with its grassroots and ad hoc activism as well as its principles: prosperity, freedom, and human dignity. Three years later, we find a movement stalled and even in reverse especially after July 3, 2013.  On the third anniversary, we examine the status, legacy and future of this revolution, Egypt, and the Arab Spring.  Our speaker is Prof. Mohammad Fadel, Canada Research Chair for the Law and Economics of Islamic Law, University of Toronto.  The talk is followed by Q&A period.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/egypt-three-years-later-is-there-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Organize a Great Direct Action

Sunday Jan. 26, 1 - 6 p.m.
Direct action is a crucial tool used by many social movements. Learn the skills necessary for organizing and participating in a direct action. The workshop will cover basic action strategy and planning, group decision-making, roles and responsibilities, execution, and post-action follow up.  Facilitators: David Sone is a campaigner at Earthroots and partners with indigenous communities to protect their territory.  Natalie Caine is the interim Arctic campaigns coordinator at Greenpeace.
Register now https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/how-to-organize-a-great-direct-action-tickets-9536543057

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Study Group - Ecology and Socialism - Solutions to Capitalist Ecological Crisis
The environmental crisis - Outlining the problem

Sunday, January 26, 4-6pm
8th floor of OISE (252 Bloor St. W. at St. George subway).
Ideas Left Out is organizing a 3-part study group on the capitalist ecological crisis. Over 3 sessions, we will read Chris Williams' book, Ecology and Socialism. Study group members will read the book in sections, meeting to discuss in small and larger groups over 3 Sundays.  Reading for this week: Introduction and first two chapters – available here http://bit.ly/1faZCcr

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in