T.O. Greenspiration Events: Race and Justice

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 26 22:04:10 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

---------------------------------------

The Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund is seeking to fund groups/projects that are led by people who are directly affected by discrimination, criminalization, and exploitation, and who work to build the power of their communities to change their conditions. Grants in the $500 - $2500 range. The fund is financed entirely through donations made by individuals who support social justice principles. The collective administering the fund is composed of individuals who have been directly involved in social justice struggles for many years. Applications accepted until February 15. Donations welcome too.
groundswellfund.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Richard Underhill for Mayor
Great platform! Progressive, green, smart. One I’ll get behind. Check it out.
http://blog.underhillformayor.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Silence of the Labs
CBC's Fifth Estate documentary about the politicization of science by the Harper gov't
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2013-2014/the-silence-of-the-labs

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Neil Young's got Big Oil worried
As citizens concerned about the unchecked expansion of the Oil Sands, we call on Harper to reconsider his approval of Shell’s “Jackpine” project based on the significant environmental damage which all admit it will cause, and the fact that the project violates Canada’s treaty with the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation.
Avaaz Petition:  http://www.avaaz.org/en/ /?bLkIjdb&v=34676

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

GoodWork is Canada's environmental job site, connecting environmentally friendly job seekers, organizations and companies since 2001.
http://goodwork.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the TPA Money Grab for Mini-Pearson

Mon. January 27, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
City Hall Council Chambers, 100 Queen St. W.
Now is our time to show City staff and the media where Torontonians stand on the dangerous jet plans. The City will hold what will most likely be the last public consultation on the issue. Don't miss this crucial opportunity to speak out on the request to permit jet airplanes at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (BBTCA).
https://www.facebook.com/events/240418232802301/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Land Over Landings – Rally and Council Mtng.
Because food is a growing concern

Monday, January 27, Rally starts at 6:45 p.m. Council meeting starts at 7 p.m.
Pickering City Hall, One The Esplanade, Pickering
Rallying place: Parking lot on Esplanade Road South
Landoverlandings.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sauerkraut and Kimchi Workshop

Tues. Jan. 28, 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
West End Food Coop's Co-op kitchen, 1229 queen (w. of Dufferin)
$50 WEFC members, $55 non-menbers
Learn to make Sauerkraut and Kimchi with local Cabbages! James Partanen, expert canner with many years of experience, will be leading you through a tested recipe and an in-depth discussion about local food, food security, and preserving. You will learn about the theory and practice of fermentation, gain hands-on experience working with fermenting and canning equipment, and leave with some jars (sauerkraut or kimchi your choice) of fresh fermenting cabbage!
http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=258

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Politics of Work

Tuesday Jan 28 -- 7pm
Debates Room, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, University of Toronto
A moderated panel discussion and audience Q&A with thinkers, activists and political figures focused on contemporary problems faced by the Left in its struggles to construct a politics adequate to the self-emancipation of the working class. Hosted by the Platypus Affiliated Society-Toronto. Sponsored by the Hart House Social Justice Committee.
Panelists:
* L. Susan Brown - Author of Does Work Really Work
* Dave Bush - Rankandfile.ca
* Neil Fischer - Internationalist Perspective
* Sam Gindin - Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly
https://www.facebook.com/events/570984872995023/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally and Rider-Outreach for Better Service and Lower Fares

Wed. Jan. 29
Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)
        . Watch the City Council meeting at 100 Queen Street West with us from 10.00am - 12.00pm
        . Rally for More TTC Funding outside the City Hall entrance at 12.30pm
        . Talk to riders and gather petitions near City Hall from 1.00pm - 2.30pm  (We are leaving from the entrance of City Hall at 1.00pm.)
        . Watch the City Council meeting with us from 3.00pm onwards
It's time to demand the city and the province give more funding to the TTC so we can have better service and lower fares. Join with the Toronto Environmental Alliance and the TTC Riders.
http://on.fb.me/1fTGpMD

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

My Journey - with Olivia Chow

Wednesday January 29, noon - 1:30 p.m.
Sears Atrium, Engineering Building, 245 Church St.
Olivia Chow visits Ryerson to discuss her new book, the memoir My Journey. Ms. Chow will be in conversation with Cathy Crowe (Ryerson Distinguished Visiting Practitioner) and a panel of Ryerson students. All are welcome to attend. Ms. Chow's memoir examines the events, people and ideals that have shaped her journey from childhood immigrant to leading Canadian elected official. A light lunch and refreshments will be served.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More Than Honey

Wed, Jan 29, 6:45 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
Oscar-nominated director Markus Imhoof’s More Than Honey examines why numerous colonies of bees have been decimated throughout the world over the past 15 years, without known cause. Depending on the world region, 50 to 90 per cent of all local bees have disappeared, and this epidemic is still spreading from beehive to beehive – all over the planet. Scientists have found a name for the phenomenon that matches its scale, “colony collapse disorder,” and they have good reason to be worried: 80 per cent of plant species require bees to be pollinated. Without bees, there is no pollination, and fruits and vegetables could disappear from the face of the Earth. The honey bee is as indispensable to the economy as it is to man’s survival. As Einstein said 50 years ago: "If bees were to disappear from the globe, mankind would only have four years left to live."
http://prod5.agileticketing.net/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=18667~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&#.UuLEnvtOm9I

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vegetarianism 101: Easy steps to eating less meat

Wed Jan 29, 7 - 8 pm
Runnymede Library, 2178 Bloor St. W
Interested in making healthier, more sustainable and more compassionate food choices? The Toronto Vegetarian Association will give you some tips and tools for going vegetarian or reducing your consumption of animal products, and answer all those commonly asked questions like: where do I get my protein and what's a quick meal I can pull together on a work night? Free vegan snacks!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Can we afford FORD more years?

Thursday, Jan 30. 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bathurst)
What is the class composition of Ford Nation? What are the tasks of the left in 2014? The Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly looks at the future of municipal politics in Toronto. Expect a broad-ranging discussion that shifts the focus away from Mayor Ford's personal failings and toward an analysis and critique of austerity policies, as well as the class dynamics that underpin Ford's continuing popularity. The discussion will foster ways of coordinating activities in the fight against austerity, regardless of who is the next mayor.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/can-we-afford-ford-more-years/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy - with Michael Sizer on animal rights videography

Thur. Jan. 30, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room 570 of 100 St. George
The first half is a talk and the second half discussion. All are welcome (including 4 legged friends, provided they are relatively quiet and friendly).
via PaulYork AnimalRights

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Catalyst Cafe

Thursday January 30, 8 - 10 pm
The Music Gallery, 197 John Street
$15 Regular // $10 Students/Members/Arts Workers // $5 Seniors
Join us for an intimate evening that will feature arrangements of spoken word with live music from Leanne Simpson's high acclaimed album Islands of Decolonial Love, and songs by Tara Williamson with accompanying musicians Sean Conway and Nick Ferrio. This will be an evening of contemporary Indigenous music you do not want to miss.
www.musicgallery.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public Forum on Race & Justice

Thur. January 30, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Room 103, FitzGerald Building, 150 College St., U of T
The Justice in Toronto Lecture Series, co-sponsored by the University of Toronto Global Cities Institute, begins 2014 with a lecture on Race and Justice in Toronto, featuring Gary Pieters, President of Toronto’s Urban Alliance on Race Relations, and Scot Wortley, a Professor at the Centre for Criminology and Socio-legal Studies at the University of Toronto.
This series of public forums will address some sources of injustice in Toronto and propose ways to make the city more just. In each event, an academic scholar has been paired with a city activist.
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/race-justice-in-toronto-tickets-10147695029?aff=eorg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Research in Action: Building Accountable Community Research

Thursday January 30, 7 p.m.
OISE, room 2211 , 252 Bloor Street West
Free. Wheelchair accessible. With
- Jaggi Singh, Community University Research Exchange (CURE), QPIRG Concordia
- Maria Basualdo, Community Research Project, OPIRG-Ottawa
- More speakers to be announced
What does community based research look like? What would it mean for academic institutions, faculty and students to take leadership from community groups, and facilitate education and research in the interest of social change? How can we ensure that community groups will truly benefit from this research? There are important concerns around the ways in which educational institutions situate themselves in communities, and take up community issues as research interests, without ever consulting with the communities themselves.
https://www.facebook.com/events/282509825230567/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Party For Truth

Thur. Jan. 30, 8 p.m.

Lee's Palace, 529 Bloor W.
$20. With speakers: Hon. Ron Hellyer, Richard Dolan, Dan Hicks and more plus live performances, DJs and more.
A fundraiser for our upcoming cross-Canada speakers tour.
http://www.modernknowledge2014.com/party-for-truth.html
7 min. video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEOU0Kc3T1Q&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Focus on Sustainability Film Festival

Fri. Jan. 31, noon – 9 p.m.
York U, Keele Campus
http://iris.info.yorku.ca/ai1ec_event/oil/?instance_id=345

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Simple ways to create more flavour when preparing and cooking food

Friday, January 31, 6:30 pm - till round abouts 9:30 p.m.
STUDIO 404, 888 Dupont St. in warehouse (cr Ossington)
$45 pp ~ 2 for $80.... (cash preferred) - please inquire about sliding scale, few spots always available
Introduction to using herbs, spices and condiments to enhance your favourite dishes! We will be learning how to recognize, shop for, store and grow your own in order to add more spice to your favourite foods and your life!
If interested in attending please contact me to confirm and I will send you more details, directions and the menu we will be preparing along with answering any questions you may have. I will respond ASAP!
pei 416.732.8965 or permacultured.food.design at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Strong Neighbourhood Strategy 2020

Fri. January 31, 9:30 am – 12:30 p.m.
Metro Hall | Room 310, 55 John Street (at King)
We will share the results of the Toronto Strong Neighbourhoods public consultation process with you. Most importantly, we would like to ask for your advice on the options for selecting Neighbourhood Improvement Areas (NIAs) that are based on the consultations and Urban Heart.  The advice you provide us with will help inform City Council's decision on the criteria used to select NIAs.
Please register by emailing neighbourhoods at toronto.ca Or by calling 416.392.8616
If you require American Sign Language interpreting, translation, child care or any other accommodations please specify in your confirmation.
toronto.ca/neighbourhoods

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Turkish Summer: Insights and Lessons from the Gezi Park Resistance

Friday, Jan 31, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bathurst)
The protests in Turkey from May 2013 began in opposition to development plans for Istanbul's Taksim Square-Gezi Park.  Massive sit-ins, protests, strikes developed and spread across Turkey soon encompassed questions of freedom of speech, social inequalities, women's rights, issues of secularism, and others.  Gezi Park became another moment of the "movements of the squares" opposing neoliberalism and authoritarian governments.  Innovative political tactics of camps, street humour, graffiti and many others symbolized the new protests met with political repression and police violence which followed. A forum of activists, commentators, and social theorists in a wide-ranging discussion of insights and lessons for both the Turkish and International left.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/the-turkish-summer-insights-and-lessons-from-the-gezi-park-resistance/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mid Winter Take the Sun Celebration

Sat. Feb. 1, 7:30 – 10:30 p.m.
Beaches Recreation Centre, 6 Williamson Road
Tickets $15, Students $10
Join The Global Sunrise Project & The Canadian Voice of Women for Peace for an inspiring evening of friendship, music, dance, games, snacks, silent auction & great raffle prizes to be won! Proceeds will go to Canadian Voice of Women for Peace and The Global Sunrise Project.
http://vowpeace.org/event/mid-winter-take-the-sun-celebration/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Coldest Day of the Year Ride

Sat, Feb 1, 12:15 pm
Queen’s Park (at Hoskin ave. See map http://goo.gl/maps/3P3Qr )
Celebrate winter cycling at the Coldest Day of the Year Ride! Ride with us from Queen's Park to Dufferin Grove Park, where we'll have a small campfire set up next to the skating rink! Bring your skates and a reusable mug for our campfire hot chocolate, or bring a thermos with your own hot drink. Dufferin Grove Park's Zamboni Cafe also has hot chocolate, snacks, and $2 skate rentals.
BIXI SPECIAL: Don't have a bike available for the ride? No problem! All BIXI bikes will be given free extra usage time from 12pm to 4pm. There is a BIXI dock at Queen's Park where you can check your BIXI in before the ride. We also have limited reservations to test a BIXI bike for free on this ride. Reserve yours by emailing siva.v at cycleto.ca by Thurs Jan 30!
Check out our winter riding and gear tips at http://cycleto.ca/bike-winter
https://www.facebook.com/events/198207010373082/?ref=notif&notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confronting Injustice: Social Activism in Age of Individualism

Saturday, Feb 1, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bathurst)
Climate Vulnerability Monitor estimates that 400,000 people die every year as a result of the human-made global warming. The UN projects that 3 billion people may be pushed into extreme poverty by 2050 due to environmental devastation. The scale of this problem makes clear that individualist, lifestyle-centric approaches to activism will not suffice. We need to change the structures of our social system, not our light bulbs.  The book, Confronting Injustice: Social Activism in the Age of Individualism seeks to expose the structural roots of the crises we face, and outlines an approach to activism which transcends the hopeless individualism of our time. Presentation by author Umair Muhammad.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/confronting-injustice-social-activism-in-the-age-of-individualism/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Arab Spring
Two afternoons. Two media. Two Generations. One world event

Sat./Sun, Feb 1 - Feb. 2, noon - 4 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bathurst)
How do we cope with the gap between our sphere of awareness ( media saturated information, instant images/videos) and our sphere of influence (what is mine to do? what can I do?) and the resulting mood of grief and helplessness that this creates in each of us?  Through artistic encounters and conversation we discover what this event is communicating outside of the linear/rational framework of the news. This is experiential discovery and learning process through working with painting and clay. No artistic experience necessary.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/two-afternoons-two-media-two-generations-one-world-event-the-arab-spring/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in