T.O. Greenspiration Events: Emerging Revolution

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 2 21:24:46 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

---------------------------------------

TEA's Residents' Guide to Waste outlines what happens to our waste and how we can reduce, reuse and recycle more.
http://torontoenvironment.org/campaigns/waste/residentsguidetowaste

Join me in supporting TEA's (Toronto Environmental Alliance) next fundraising event - the Polar Bear Plunge.
https://secure.commonground.convio.com/torontoenvironment/polarbearplunge/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

American Addict
New doc film about America's prescription drug epidemic. it's available on Netflix, Itunes and Amazon.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWUrTl7tBk
American Addict 2 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mpUPv0LaI
Interview with the producer and director: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJpzFhWXAd4&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Obama administration's "Pacific Pivot" is wreaking environmental havoc on the pristine ecosystems of the Asia-Pacific region
http://fpif.org/green-challenge-asia-pacific-pivot/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

February is Black History Month
Check out all the events:
http://nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=196484

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join me to Fast for the Climate
People from all walks of life are fasting to stand in solidarity with vulnerable people who are the most affected by dangerous climate impacts. By choosing not to eat on the first day of every month, a growing movement of fasters including many faith communities, youth groups and environmentalist is calling for world leaders to act to confront the climate crisis.
Watch the 1 min. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp7su1gkmVU
If you are fasting in Canada, please send a message to us at climatefast at climatefast.ca
Please ALSO sign up here to join the international list of people around the world who are fasting. http://bit.ly/Js5mjN

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SSRI Stories
A website that identifies media stories (newspapers, TV, scientific journals) in which prescription antidepressants may be linked to a variety of adverse outcomes, including violence.
http://ssristories.org/?utm_source=January+2014+News&utm_campaign=January+News&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 2nd Annual Feminist Art Conference 2014 is looking for volunteer videographers
to help document the great discussions and art taking place March 6 - 8.
If you or someone you know can help, please contact us at torontofac at gmail.com
factoronto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bloor Hot Docs Cinema
506 Bloor W (at Bathurst)
Check out the program:
http://bit.ly/1cvxk9A

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The True Co$t of Oil
With Award winning photojournalist Garth Lenz

Tues. Feb. 4, 7 p.m.
Sydney Smith Hall, 100 St. George, U of T (N. of College)
Come hear award-winning photojournalist Garth Lenz speak about the True Cost of Oil. This free event is co-presented by Environmental Defence Canada and Toronto 350.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/1526944150863076/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Justice and Anti-Oppression Training for the Food Movement

Monday February 3, 6 - 8 pm
Metro Hall, Room 304, 55 John St.
This presentation and workshop will aim to highlight food justice issues that may impact youth. The majority of this meeting will be given in a workshop format to address some of the issues of oppression and exclusion experienced within and surrounding food work. The TYFPC would like to maintain an open conversation about the nature of our organizational structure while trying to address some of the issues and challenges that we all face in trying to do good food work in Toronto.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cinema Politica Presents: My Prairie Home

Tues. Feb. 4, 6:30 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor Street West (at Bathurst)
Featuring a live performance by Rae Spoon and Q&A with the film's director Chelsea McMullan and producer Lea Marin. This screening is a co-presentation with the National Film Board of Canada in collaboration with Toronto's Inside Out LGBT Film Festival, EGALE, Exclaim! & POV Magazine
A true Canadian iconoclast, acclaimed transgender country/electro-pop artist Rae Spoon revisits the stretches of rural Alberta that once constituted “home” and confronts memories of growing up queer in an abusive, evangelical household. Part travelogue, part character study, Chelsea McMullan’s singular film unfolds in coffee shops, bus stations, bars and recreation centres, with her camera finding odd angles from which to examine these communities that have arisen in the middle of nowhere. Lyrical and alluring, McMullan’s documentary-musical hybrid calls into question our traditional definition of “home,” and celebrates the places in between, be they in music, geography or gender.
http://bit.ly/1fe7vhh

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ludicrous Peacemaking

Wed. Feb. 5, 5 - 6 p.m.
OISE, Rm 2211
Imagine enemy insurgents playing together. Playing. Play changes everything, making possible risky moves towards peace and reconciliation, from the battle line to the assembly line, the board room to the classroom, the kitchen to the commons. Come, share and learn with Lee McKenna, a Toronto-based activist and trainer, working for 25 years with communities around the world to discern and discover novel ways of building peace.
Organized by Voice of Women for Peace
http://vowpeace.org/event/ludicrous-peacemaking/
https://www.facebook.com/events/1399662380289748/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Emerging Revolution in the Global Response to Climate Change?

Wednesday, February 5,  4:10 – 6 p.m.
Rm.149(basement), Earth Sciences Building, 5 Bancroft Ave.
With Matthew Hoffman. In 20 years of trying, the international treaty-making process has been fearfully inadequate for producing the rules and institutions necessary to meet the challenge of climate change. Yet, far from lacking a response to climate change as the UN process has floundered, the world is, rather, awash in different approaches. In this seminar I explore the possibilities and pitfalls of this emerging response to climate change and I develop the argument that this emerging, bottom-up approach to dealing with climate change has the potential to upend the global response to climate change and contribute to real progress towards decarbonization.
http://www.environment.utoronto.ca/Events/TheEmergingRevolution.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Social Media Basics

Wed. February 5, 6 pm - 9 pm
Centre for Social Innovation Spadina, 215 Spadina (n. of Queen)
$65
Do you need to learn how to get your business up and running on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook? In this class, learn the basics of social media tools: What is a like? How do I write a tweet? What is a hashtag? How do I market my business online and create leads and sales? Join social media expert Dani Gagnon for this fun class that will cover all the basics. You'll walk away feeling confident and comfortable communicating online.
www.camptech.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's Lost Rivers

Wednesday, February 5, 7 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Committee Room 4 (Queen and Bay)
Toronto's Lost Rivers include Christie Pits, Garrison Creek, Taddle Creek and dozens of other creeks and ravines.  These 'lost rivers' are buried in large pipes and act as combined sewers for sanitary sewage and storm water.  Combined sewer overflows are the single most urgent water problem in Toronto and cause flooding of combined sewage in our streets and basements and overflow in our ravines, parks and waterfront. The discussion will be introduced by Prof. Lino Grima, School of the Environment, University of Toronto and Sierra Club Canada's Special Advisor on Water.  All welcome.
http://o.sierraclub.ca/en/great-lakes-section/torontos-lost-rivers

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Michael Schmidt Challenges Canada for Raw Milk Freedom

Wednesday, February 5, 10:30 a.m.
Ontario Court of Appeal, 130 Queen St. West
Embattled dairy farmer, Michael Schmidt, of Glencolton Farm, returns to court in his decades-long struggle to legitimize his cow-boarding program. Schmidt and his attorneys seek to overturn convictions involving the distribution and sale of raw milk. Please join them in the courtroom to show your support.
http://rawmilkconsumer.ca/press-release/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Solidarity Rally for Dr. Roland Wong

Wednesday, February 5, noon
College of Physicians and Surgeons, 80 College Street, (West of Bay)
On February 5, a six month suspension of Dr. Roland Wong’s licence to practice medicine in Ontario will begin. He is also saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in legal costs and penalties. The College of Physicians and Surgeons has imposed these measures on Dr. Wong because he helped large numbers of his patients, living in poverty on Ontario Works (OW) and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), obtain the Special Diet so that they and their families could have some chance of staying healthy. The ‘poverty reduction’ Liberal Government at Queen’s Park was thrown into a panic and a rage when they saw a doctor actually doing something to reduce poverty. They complained to the College, as the body that regulates doctors in Ontario, and an attack on Dr. Wong was set in motion.
ocap.ca/node/1131

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

I Don't Know What to Say: A Seminar on Providing Support to Someone who is Grieving

Thur. February 6, 6:30 pm - 9 pm
CSI - Spadina, 215 Spadina Ave
$30.00
It can be hard to know what to say or do when a relative, friend, or aquaintence has experienced the death of someone close to them.  Despite having the best intentions some people inadvertantly say things that can create challenges for the person who is grieving.  Other people may say nothing at all out of a fear of saying the wrong thing, which can contribute to a sense of isolation experienced by grievers.  This dynamic evening seminar, presented by Andrea Warnick, will provide concrete tips and strategies on how to best support someone who is grieving a death.
www.andreawarnick.ca/events.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Multitudes in Revolt

Thursday, February 6 - noon to 1:30pm
Library Lecture Theatre, Room LIB-72, Ryerson
Speaker:  Michael Hardt, PhD - Professor of literature, Duke University / Professor of Political Literature, European Graduate School.
How has a cycle of struggles - characterized by occupations and encampments - spread through different parts of the world in the last three years? This lecture aims to grasp the importance of these global struggles and to recognize the primary challenges they face. Of particular interest, Hardt will investigate the role of organization and leadership in these "leaderless" movements.
tonya.davidson at ryerson.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Global Human Rights and Equality ~ on the eve of the Sochi Olympics

Thursday, February 6, 6 p.m.
Russian Consulate, 175 Bloor St. East. (near Church)
https://www.facebook.com/events/1455549741335356/?source=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy - with Mike McIntosh on bear rescue work

Thur. Feb. 6, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room 570 of 100 St. George
The first half is a talk and the second half discussion. All are welcome (including 4 legged friends, provided they are relatively quiet and friendly).
via PaulYork AnimalRights

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Help decide the future of the Gardiner Expressway East

Thursday, February 6, 6:30 Open House, 7 presentations and discussion
The Bram & Bluma Appel Salon, Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge St. (Bloor Street subway station)
Join us at the third public meeting where you can comment on the results of the evaluation of the alternative solutions for the future of the Gardiner Expressway East.
www.gardinereastpublicmeetingfeb6.eventbrite.ca
If you can’t attend in person, you can participate and watch the meeting online at www.gardinereast.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Be Mine?

Thur. Feb. 6, 7 p.m.
Father Madden Hall, 100 St. Joseph Street (near Queens Park)
How have minerals, like diamonds and gold, become both symbols of love for Canadians & sources of conflict for people in the global south? Join Development and Peace and SMCSU for a screening of Defensora, a film about a community’s resistance against Canadian mining companies in Guatemala, followed by a discussion of panelists who have worked with the affected community in the film.
Fair Trade chocolate & coffee will be sold
$5 Suggested donation

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority

Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/
I was on this program last week talking nukes and alternatives http://greenmajority.ca/2013/12/13/tgm-121313/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Quarantine to Criminalization: Public health responses to HIV and our history of activist interventions.

Friday, Feb. 7, 7pm
519 Church Street Community Centre
Presented by the AIDS Activist History Project and AIDS ACTION NOW!  We are going to be talking critically and openly about the successes and failures of Ontario's activism of public health interventions for people living with HIV. If you were involved in early activist interventions and or have stories and insight to share or if you want to come listen to our community activist history then please join us (and bring your friends).
https://www.facebook.com/events/400173626783851/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Weaving Hope for Indigenous Peoples in Colombia
Join Amnesty International for an inspiring evening of music, poetry and creative action for the rights and survival of Indigenous Peoples in Colombia

Friday February 7, 2014. Doors open at 6:30 PM. Program begins at 7PM.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto (one block south of College between Spadina and University)
Free
Chilling new assassinations and forced displacement underscore the ongoing emergency for Indigenous Peoples in Colombia, a still-largely-invisible crisis that demands an international outcry. With that in mind, we’re bringing a delegation of Indigenous leaders from Colombia in February for a meeting with Romeo Dallaire and the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Prevention of Genocide. Our visitors will meet with other important “influence-shapers” as well. On their last night in Canada, join us for a special event to make visible our concern and call for action.
For more information, contact edumitru at amnesty.ca
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/586562031421666/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Avoiding Activist Burnout, Cultivating our Collective Resiliency Workshop

Saturday, February 8, 2014 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM (EST)
Register: http://www.eventbrite.com/myevent?eid=8054827205
Drawing from the collective wisdom of all participants, we will examine what burnout looks like, how it can be prevented, and ways it can be addressed. On the flip side, you will be invited to examine what resiliency looks like for you. Together we will explore various tips and tools to ensure that when things get tough, we can all bounce back a little faster.
Facilitators: Community facilitator, Tammy Neilson, and Greenpeace campaigns organizer, Laura Severinac.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Decolonizing our Minds: Identities, Collectivities and Imagined Communities

Saturday February 8, 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
45 Willcocks Street, U of T
Over the past six years, the Equity Studies Students’ Union has annually hosted the Decolonizing Our Minds conference so as to identify and interrogate the ways in which different groups of people practice resistance. This year we examine how identities are actively negotiated and constructed, ultimately bringing together “non-traditional” communities against colonial domination and structural oppression.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1415342648710470/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Jobs Forward: Growing your career and community

Saturday, February 8, 11:30 am - 5:00 pm
Food Forward Centre: 2 Homewood Avenue, Toronto (just north of Carlton, between Jarvis and Sherbourne)
Looking for opportunities to make a difference through community food security or sustainable food systems? Having trouble finding a job? Want to find non-traditional opportunities in food, community, health, equity and business...while networking and growing your skill set? This mini-conference on good food work will provide opportunities to learn how to build sustainable food systems and community food security ithrough your career; learn important skills such as grant writing; gain ideas and tips for the food job search and career development; and learn from those who've made a go at it...
https://www.facebook.com/events/679426682079883/?ref=4

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tar Sands Dragon Opera (and clown show)

(1) Saturday, February 8, 2 – 4 p.m.
AccessPoint on Danforth
3079 Danforth Avenue (south east corner of Victoria Park and Danforth Avenue), Rooms 4 & 5
Admission: Free -RSVP to eastendnotar at gmail.com as seating is limited.
More info: East End Against Line 9 Facebook

(2) Saturday, February 8, 7 – 9 p.m. (the show itself is 45min + Q&A / letter signing campaign after)
Upfront Theatre Foundation, 1290 Finch Ave West Unit 17 (Finch and Keele area)
Admission: Pay what you can
More info: Facebook

(3) Sunday, February 9, 12:15 p.m.
Toronto First Unitarian Congregation, 175 St Clair Ave West
PWYC

The Tar Sands Dragon Opera (and clown show) is a shadow and marionette puppet show of both absurd and understated proportions which will tour in communities along Line 9. A fairytale of sorts, our show will feature the cardboard clownery of a bewildered puppet population and the operatics of the inky-black shadows that lurk wherever There Be Dragons. It will also feature song and dance to lighten the necessarily inky mood.
http://birdbonetheatre.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/events/602432749824706/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Study Group - Ecology and Socialism - Solutions to Capitalist Ecological Crisis
Real solutions and false solutions - with Angela Bischoff, Greenspiration and Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Sunday, Feb. 9, 4 - 6 pm
8th floor of OISE (252 Bloor St. W. at St. George subway).
Ideas Left Out is organizing a 3-part study group on the capitalist ecological crisis. Over 3 sessions, we will read Chris Williams' book, Ecology and Socialism. Study group members will read the book in sections, meeting to discuss in small and larger groups over 3 Sundays.  Reading for this week:  Chapters 3, 4 and 5 – available here http://bit.ly/1koosYv

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Activism 101 – What Makes for a Great Grassroots Campaign?

Tuesday February 11
7 p.m. – Steve Hall of SINVA on guitar. His original rock reggae songs stand for human rights and mother earth, and plant the seeds of non-violent action.
7:30 p.m. – Saul Chernos, independent journalist who writes about politics, social change and the environment.
The Ossington: 61 Ossington (just north of Queen)
Free
So you want to change the world – good on ya! It’s all the more achievable if you have the needed skills and lots of chutzpah. In this Activism 101 conversation, we’ll look at activist dos and talk about different tools and methods for achieving stellar, successful campaigns. We’ll discuss several different case studies, from international labour and human rights struggles to local environmental and anti-poverty ones, exploring what it takes to turn a challenging campaign into a winning one.
Oss Talks are a community conversation, held the 2nd Tues. of each month at the Ossington, hosted by Angela Bischoff of Greenspiration and Ontario Clean Air Alliance. For more info or to volunteer your talent, angela at cleanairalliance.org
http://on.fb.me/1fwNXAp

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in