T.O. Greenspiration Events: Spring Awakening

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Apr 27 18:32:33 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
- Pass this onto a friend!

---------------------------------------

GoodWork
Looking for meaningful, eco work? Check out Canada's best green job board. Jobs in environment, conservation & nature
http://GoodWork.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Compilation: Banks, Markets & Business as Usual
Series of videos by EcoSanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrBurlJUNk&list=PLIbt-C7z11l1qEmK3gKEZ8cTFeRADv9Id

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stand up for a stronger CBC and sign the NDP's petition
http://petition.ndp.ca/stand-up-for-the-CBC

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lives 'left in ruin’ by rising tide of depression drugs
More people are being put on the pills but some experts are now warning they do more harm than good.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/10789916/Lives-left-in-ruin-by-rising-tide-of-depression-drugs.html

Medicated to Death: SSRIs and Mass Killings
13 min. video
http://www.corbettreport.com/medicated-to-death-ssris-and-mass-killings/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Murder Machines: Why Cars Will Kill 30,000 Americans This Year
1914: “What evil bastard would drive their speeding car where a kid might be playing?”
A good history of how the private auto became king of the road, to the detriment of other users.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/murder-machines/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Persecuted and Imprisoned for Environmental Activism
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/23320-persecuted-and-imprisoned-for-environmental-activism

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Canadian International Documentary Film Festival
197 docs from 43 countries
April 24 – May 4 at various theatres in central Toronto
Here’s a list of the environmental films: http://bit.ly/1du7tf7
Here’s the main website: http://www.hotdocs.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Deep Listening

Mon. April 28, 6:30 - 9 pm,
The Friends (Quakers) Meeting Room, 60 Lowther Ave
Listening deeply invites us to practise mindfulness and the skill of focusing one’s attention.  In this workshop, Gary Diggins will facilitate experiential interactions that help us to remain present to what we hear through the media of sound, word, music, and even silence
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/embodied-leadership-series-tickets-10573145563?aff=mcivte

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Atmospheric Fund - Annual Meeting and Reception

Monday April 28, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm.
Member’s Lounge, Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)
Please join TAF’s Board, Committee members, staff, and our many colleagues as we profile TAF's achievements, contributions, partners and future projects. Given our priority focus on making Toronto’s biggest buildings more energy efficient, we welcome remarks from Michael Brooks, CEO of REALpac. REALpac is a national industry association representing owners of large real estate portfolios.
www.toronto.ca/taf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop Violence: One Billion Rising Rally & Flash Mob

Mon. April 28, 5:30 - 7 p.m.
Yonge-Dundas Square
One Billion Rising Toronto is part of a global movement to end violence against women founded by author of The Vagina Monologues and activist Eve Ensler. She will be in Toronto to RISE with us.  We will focus on the issue of justice for all survivors of gender violence, and ending the rampant impunity that prevails globally.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1560093307549747/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What are the Opportunities in a Green Economy?

Mon. April 28, 7 – 9 p.m.
Duke of York, 39 Prince Arthur Ave. (near Bloor and Avenue Rd)
As citizens, we must ask: what is the government's role in finding solutions to issues surrounding energy and our quality of life? What role can we as individuals play in this process? And how can businesses contribute to a green economy while sustaining economic growth and job creation? With Gord Miller, Ontario’s Environment Commissioner, and Deborah De Lange, a professor in International Business, will discuss some of the opportunities for companies to help Ontarians reduce energy consumption and their individual carbon footprint, all while generating a profit.  They will address the legislative frameworks that Ontario entrepreneurs need to be aware of before taking substantial risks in this type of new economy.  Who can take advantage of these opportunities and how can policy makers best support them?
http://bit.ly/QsklgL

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Investing Made Easy

Mon, 28 Apr, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
St. Michael & All Angels Church (SE corner of St. Clair and Wychwood, enter from Wychwood through wooden gates, 2nd floor)
Would you like to put your savings to work building a green, low-carbon economy? Are you concerned about the risks, unsure of where to begin?  Come and learn how to get started on safe, low-maintenance, climate-friendly investing.
http://tcan.ca/event/green-investing-made-easy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dance Our Way Home: Women Who Change The World
Women! Come dance with us

Mondays April 7 - June 30, 7 - 8:30 p.m.
Anarres Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1879

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

International Mother Earth Day

Tues. April 29, 7 – 9 p.m.
Ryerson University
$15 regular, $10 with student ID
Our guest speakers include; Jim Harris author of #1 international bestseller Blindsided, Dr. Rob Watters President & CEO of Watters Environmental Group Inc., John van Nostrand Founding Principle at Planning Alliance,  Klaudia Olejnik Sustainability Manager at PwC and James Temple Director, Corporate Responsibility & Office of Inclusion at PwC.  Each of our distinguished speakers bring insight from their experiences and successful careers. All proceeds go towards sending a student to the United Nations Professional Placement Programme (UNPPP).
http://motherearthday.eventbrite.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beyond the Mani-Pedi - What are those chemicals doing to our health?

Tues. April 29, 7 p.m.
Library Auditorium, 239 College (near Spadina)
Time for a talk about how we can make nail salons healthier places to work and visit. Organized by the Canadian Women's Health Network.
http://www.cwhn.ca/en/node/46321

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peter Munk, Barrick Gold and U of T
DinnerTalk: Peter Munk, Barrick Gold and U of T

Tuesday April 29, 6:30 pm – 9 pm
Harvest Noon Cafe, GSU Building 2nd floor, 16 Bancroft Ave, U of T
FREE to attend; reserve an optional $5 locally sourced vegan dinner by RSVPing for dinner (we’re having savoury baked apple stuffed with lentils, veggies and flavour, along with green salad, plus freshly baked bread and hummus)
Join Harvest Noon as we host Munk OUT of UofT for an evening of storytelling, discussion, art-making and dinner. With Sakura Saunders.
https://www.facebook.com/events/295274810631665/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hunger, Human Experimentation And The Legacy Of Residential Schools
Presentation by historian Ian Mosby

Tues. April 29, 6:30 pm.
Anntte Library, 145 Annette
Free. 416-393-7508, torontopubliclibrary.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confront Barrick Gold!

Wed. April 30, 11 a.m.
Metro Convention Centre, 255 Front St.
Barrick destroys communities around the world in their pathological quest for a metal that we no longer need to mine. Join us as we stand in solidarity with communities directly impacted by this gold mining giant! This annual general meeting is taking place while:
• Barrick is facing a court case in the British High Court seeking damages for the death and injury of local villagers in Tanzania.
• Communities in Papua New Guinea are making urgent calls for resettlement away from the mine site and community members are compensation for killings and sexual assault.
• Communities in the Dominican Republic are also seeking urgent relocation away from the contaminated mine site, and to be compensation for their economic losses from dead cattle and contaminated produce.
• Indigenous Diaguita communities in Chile are fighting to stop the Pascua Lama project, which does not have their consent and has been poisoning their scarce water resources.
• Communities on Marinduque Island in the Philippines are seeking damages from a mine tailings disaster, considered the worst mining disaster in the Philippines.
***Musical Performances by Amai Kuda, Test Their Logik, amd more! ***
https://www.facebook.com/events/748797478486105/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
https://www.facebook.com/events/748797478486105/?ref=3&ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Fair Country: Truth Or Tall Tale?
Conversation with John Ralston Saul

Wed. April 30, 7 pm.
Church of the Redeemer, 162 Bloor W.
Free.  www.theredeemer.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Proportional Representation for Action on Climate Change

Thu May 1, 7-9pm
Metro Hall Rm 308/309, 55 John St.
Free admission - all are welcomed
Explore how Proportional Representation is the way to get action on Climate Change. With panel speakers:
- Joyce Murray, MP (Liberal)
- Bruce Hyer, MP (Green)
- Linda McQuaig, Journalist (NDP)
- Moderator: Reg Stackhouse,  PhD, former Conservative MP
http://www.electoralalliance.ca/proportional-representation-action-climate-change
https://m.facebook.com/events/1411209449139336

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Bicycle Network Open House

Thursday May 1 (International Worker's Day), noon - 9 pm a
761 Queen St.
Come by to say Hi and see what events and partnerships we have in store for the 2014 season!
www.communitybicyclenetwork.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May Day 2014
Honour our Communities - Fight Capitalism!

Thursday, May 1, 5:30pm
Allan Gardens Park (at Carlton and Sherbourne)
Meal, Rally and March
On May 1st, International Workers Day, we will march to reclaim May Day for just people's struggles and to Honour Our Communities. We are unified in our fight against poverty and capitalism. We oppose attacks on rights and income of workers, irrespective of status. We demand an end to immigration detention because no one is illegal. We will continue our
support for Indigenous peoples' movements for self-determination. We oppose colonialism. We are in solidarity with struggles against Canadian imperialism. We insist on an end to environmental destruction. We resist patriarchy, racism, ableism, homophobia and transphobia both in our day-to-day work and as larger systems of oppression. Join Us!
Coordinated by a coalition of community groups including No One Is Illegal-Toronto, May 1st Movement and Ontario Coalition Against Poverty.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

OCIC Development Drinks Celebrates Fair Trade

Thursday, May 1, 5:30pm - 7:30pm
Merchants of Green Coffee, 2 Matilda St.
The Ontario Council for International Cooperation hosts free monthly networking events, and May's event will be co-hosted by Fair Trade Toronto! There will be speakers and fair trade goodies.
http://www.ocic.on.ca/news-and-events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NoJetsTO general meeting

Thursday, May 1, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
St. Clement’s Anglican Church (sanctuary), 70 St. Clements Avenue (near Yonge and Eglinton)
We will re-cap what happened at City Council earlier this month. Even more importantly, we will discuss how we can grow this grassroots campaign and what we can do to make sure the next City Council understands and shares our vision for Toronto.
http://www.nojetsto.ca/meeting/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Farmageddon: The True Cost Of Cheap Meat
Book launch with author Philip Lymbery

Thur. May 1, 6 - 8 p.m.
OISE Nexus Lounge, Room #130, 252 Bloor W. (St George subway)
Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

29th Annual Mayworks Festival - May 1 - 15

Beyond the May Day rally, this year's festival includes exciting visual art exhibits, panel discussions, poetry readings, musical performances, and more. We are excited to be featuring three visual art exhibits this year. Coco Guzman's new work, The Demonstration, showcases human-size papier-mâché figures that make participants feel as if they are engaged in protest. Artist Alvis Choi's Before and After is a series of visual images illustrating labour narratives as told by Chinese immigrants and migrant workers. The Justseeds Artists' Cooperative, in collaboration with Culture Strike and community artists and activists, display a political print exhibit titled Uprisings: Images of Labour and Migration. The Justseeds collective will also be leading a free screenprinting workshop. And as part of Jane's Walk, Mayworks Festival will host a free Labour History  Walking Tour dedicated to acknowledging the gains feminist leaders, educators, artists, and union organizers have made in Toronto from the 1850's up to the present.
View the program here: http://mayworks.ca/2014-festival-program/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rosetta Trio - Benefit concert for Raven Trust

Fri. May 2, 8 pm.
80 Gladstone (at Queen)
$15, students $10
RAVEN is a legal defense fund for First Nations who must continuously defend their lands and livelihood from the onslaught of rampant industrial development.
raventrust.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane's Walk

Fri. - Sun. May 2 to 4
Urban walks and storytelling in various neighourhoods pay tribute to urban thinker, writer and activist Jane Jacobs and promote walkable cities. Free.
janeswalk.net.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pegasus Conference - Peace, Global Health and Sustainability

May 2 – 4
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
A conference to find the way forward on issues such as peace through health, ecohealth, advocacy and turning marginalized communities into healthy ones. The conference will engage stakeholders by providing a dynamic, interactive forum to share their expertise in research, education, field experiences, advocacy and policy to reduce disparities, inequities and social injustices across our three major themes: peace, global health and sustainable solutions.
http://www.pegasusconference.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Acupuncture for a Cause

Come try a 1 hour private acupuncture treatment, for whatever donation you can afford.
Saturday May 3, 10 am - 6 pm
1110 Sheppard Ave East, Suite 402 (at Leslie)
Wheelchair-accessible office
Proceeds go to: Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund which supports groups led by people who are directly affected by discrimination, criminalization, and exploitation. Treatments by: Pauline Sok Yin Hwang. Pauline uses Traditional Chinese Medicine and acupuncture to treat anxiety, stress, insomnia, depression, digestion, menstrual health, and pain, and has offices in North York and downtown Toronto.
http://paulinehwang.ca/May3 or 416-890-7770
Limited spots! http://www.eventbrite.com/e/acupuncture-for-a-cause-a-fundraiser-for-community-justice-tickets-11062976661

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Marijuana March

Sat. May 3, gather at noon, march at 2 p.m.
Starts behind the Queen's Park Legislative Bldg
The annual march for medical and recreational cannabis supporters. Free.
globalmarijuanamarch.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spring Awakening – Unravel The Mysteries Of Mulching And Pruning Workshop

Sat. May 3, 1:30-3:30 pm.
Lillian H Smith Library, 239 College. Free.
torontopubliclibrary.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Walls Are Alive With The Sounds of Mad People

Sunday May 4, noon
S.W. corner of Queen and Shaw St.
A lively historical tour of the psychiatric patient built wall presented by Friendly Spike Theatre Band. Part of Jane’s Walk.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Theatre of the Oppressed Introductory Workshop

Sunday May 4, 1 - 4 p.m.
Join us for an intro to Augusto Boal's Theatre of the Oppressed games and techniques. These participatory tools motivate us to deepen our understanding of social injustice and empower us to break the cycle of oppression. These techniques can be used for conflict resolution, motivating positive change, advocacy, community building, self-awareness and personal growth. No previous theatre experience necessary.
Register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/theatre-of-the-oppressed-introductory-workshop-tickets-10802397261

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All Quiet On The Waterfront: Noise Pollution And Urban Development In Toronto

Sun. May 4, 10:30 am - noon
Meet at Toronto Music Garden pavilion stage, 479 Queens Quay W.
Guided discussion on the impact of waterfront projects including the Gardiner Expressway and Toronto Island airport. Free
janeswalk.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in