T.O. Greenspiration Events: Voice for Justice

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon May 12 00:00:40 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend!

---------------------------------------

John Bennet on creeping Canadian environmental fascism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJphl7NJ4I&index=3&list=PLlIi3H5j8OCniCXMFMCiM9aj2sMsRyKIQ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Purify Your Water in hand made terra cotta crocks
Filter with micropore ceramic, colloidal silver and activated charcoal. Most affordable eco friendly gravity fed system.
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1264

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animating the world’s cars
4 min. animation on the growing impact of cars globally in terms of resources, space and emissions.
http://www.carbonvisuals.com/work/animating-the-worlds-cars

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Environmental Health, Transformative Higher Education and Policy – Education for Social and Ecosystem Healing
Summer Course at OISE, U of T. Half course credit
July/August, Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Coordinator: Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg, PhD, MES.
In this course, environmental health is framed as a field of research, education, policy and advocacy endeavours that links the natural, health and social sciences with the worlds of the academy, community, business, economics, labour, governments and media. It includes physical, social, cultural, spiritual and societal relationships which are multi directional and interlinked with the health and wellbeing of all life. For more information and the full course outline, please see ROSI and/or contact Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg at dgoldinrosenberg at oise.utoronto.ca or 416 960 4944

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Waste Free Toronto challenge
Tired of taking out the trash? Tired of feeling powerless in the face of big environmental problems facing Toronto?  Then, it’s time for you to take the Waste Free Toronto Challenge.The challenge consists of 10 simple actions that any Torontonian can take to help move us toward a waste free future.
http://www.wastefreeto.ca/splash?splash=1&utm_campaign=cw_wastefree&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beacon in the smog
Last week City Council adopted key recommendations to tackle Toronto's air pollution. Strategies include reducing car & truck pollution, funding active transportation, and limiting health risks of living near highways.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.HL30.1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Justin Trudeau, Tom Mulcair, Elizabeth May: Denounce Harper's reign as illegitimate and illegal
Please sign the petition
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Justin_Trudeau_Tom_Mulcair_Elizabeth_May_Denounce_Harpers_reign_as_illegitimate_and_illegal/?kWWFrab

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Last Call at the Oasis - The Passionate Eye, CBC
From the producers of AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH, FOOD, INC. and WAITING FOR “SUPERMAN, LAST CALL AT THE OASIS presents an inspiring wake-up call for why you should be worried, and why the global water crisis will be the central issue facing our world this century.
http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/episodes/last-call-at-the-oasis?cid=Stimulating+Docs+This+Weekend+on+CBC+and+News+Net

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dance Our Way Home: Women Who Change The World
Mondays till June 30, 7:15 to 8:45pm.
Anarres Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road (at Bloor)
Women! Come dance with us!
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1879

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fukushima, Chemtrails, HAARP
How to combat the chemicals of the corporate food and “health” industries
With Sydney White, investigative journalist - Studies in Propaganda
Mon. May 12, 6 p.m.
Rm. #140 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
A Free-U-of-T event
For more info: 416 787 0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Is Toronto Weather Prepared? Weatherproofing Your City
Public Consultation on Weather Emergencies
The City is looking for public input on our response to the July 2013 flood and December 2013 ice storm. Tell us what worked well in your neighbourhood, what needs improving, and how the City can support its residents in future weather emergencies. Toronto has experienced several weather emergencies in the past few years – extreme heat and cold, flooding, and ice storms. The City is asking for your advice on the best ways to weatherproof Toronto in the future.  How to Participate:
• Visit the consultation website with background information, reports, and details on how the public can share their input: www.toronto.ca/weatherprooftoronto
• Attend a public session to learn more, talk with City staff, and share your advice on the best ways to weatherproof Toronto in the future.
• Complete a feedback form online or at the public sessions.
All Torontonians – whether they attend a consultation session or not – are encouraged to fill out the online feedback form starting May 9th and submit their input by Friday May 30th, 2014.

Public Information and Consultation Sessions
All sessions are from 6-9 p.m. Venues are accessible and ASL interpretation will be provided.
- Monday May 12	- Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive
- Tuesday May 13 - City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
- Wednesday May 14 - North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street
- Thursday May 15 - Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall
 6 p.m. Open House starts with displays and emergency preparedness information
 7 p.m.  Formal staff presentation, questions and remarks from the public, followed by group discussions.
www.toronto.ca/weatherprooftoronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Edible City
Free Screening and Discussion
Tue, May 13, 6:15 pm
Annette Street Library, 145 Annette Street
Edible City is about urban farming. Set in the San Francisco Bay area, Edible City shows how everyone can get involved transforming our food system and building local economies to find hopeful solutions to urban problems.
green13toronto.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Justice fo the Watersheds
An Evening with Indigenous Elders and Activists
Tuesday May 13, 7 p.m.
Charbonnel Lounge, St. Michael’s College, 81 St. Mary Street, U of T
Please join KAIROS and the Trinity St. Paul’s/Bathurst/Bloor Street United Churches’ Aboriginal Rights Solidarity Group for an evening with guests from Canada’s most northern and eastern watersheds.  Francois Paulette and Alma Brooks will speak about the resource extraction struggles in their regions, and we’ll screen the short documentary, Cold Amazon.
Come be part of the movement to protect our watersheds.
www.kairoscanada.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

An Environmental History Of Oil Spills In Canada, 1949-2013
Talk by York U prof Sean Kheraj
Tues. May 13, 2 pm. Free.
Deer Park Library, 40 St Clair E
416-393-7657

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fighting Back Against Cuts to Disability Benefits – from U.K to Ontario
Austerity is Global – so is our resistance
Wednesday, May 14, 6 pm
St. Luke's Church, 353 Sherbourne Street (at Carlton)
Accessible space. ASL available. Free meal.
raisetherates.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

DIY Wednesday - Natural Cleaning Party
Wednesday, May 14, 7 to 8:30 PM
Karma Coop, 739 Palmerston Avenue (in the back ally)
Suggested donation: $10 to cover the costs of materials
RSVP at the store or through manager at karmacoop.org
The Do-It-Yourself green cleaning party was developed by Women's Voices for the Earth, an inspiring women's environmental health organization working to educate consumers about chemicals in cleaning products. As a participant, you'll go home with your very own set of easy to make cleaning products (plus recipes) that have been tested for effectiveness and are good for your health and the environment! Bring empty spritzer and squeeze bottles for yourself and to share. New bottles and containers will be available for a small fee.
karmacoop.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Young Worker Obstacle Course
Wed. May 14, noon – 1 pm
College and University (north-west corner), Toronto
On May 14th, test your survival skills in our real-life young worker obstacle course featuring: the tuition-fee high-jump; the race to pay rent; the unpaid bills balancing act; the child-care juggle and more! We are students, caregivers, renters, parents, and neighbours. We are feeling the squeeze of low wage, part-time and contract work, high tuition fees, unpaid internships, rising costs and a minimum wage that leaves us below the poverty line. The fight for $14 is our fight too!  On May 14, join young workers, students, parents, teachers and others to demand a $14 minimum wage and decent jobs for all workers! Organized by: Campaign to Raise the Minimum Wage, Ontario Federation of Labour – Young Workers Committee, Canadian Federation of Students – Ontario
https://www.facebook.com/events/726446474045186/?source=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Voice for Justice Rally on Parliament Hill
Wed. May 14, The bus leaves from York Mills TTC Station at 6:30 am
Join the bus from Toronto to Ottawa as we tell our MPs that Canada needs an ombudsman for responsible mining. Bus transportation is free but donations are accepted!
Since September 2014, Development and Peace has been campaigning for a Voice for Justice.  We have asked Canadians to sign postcards calling for our government to establish an ombudsman for the Canadian Extractive Sector and its overseas operations.  Many communities that Development and Peace works with around the world are negatively affected by Canadian Mining companies.  There currently is no way for these affected communities to obtain justice in their own countries.  An ombudsman in Canada can help to change that.  In many cases, the local church in the affected country is working to intervene on behalf of the poor.  In September, bishops from the DRC, Philippines, and Peru visited Canada to ask for our help.
Sign up at: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-voice-for-justice-rally-on-parliament-hill-tickets-10281390917

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confronting Authority: Film Launch and Discussion
Thur. May 15, 7 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Avenue (St. George subway)
Join us for an evening of building resistance to immigration enforcement as we launch our latest film Migrants: Know Your Rights, a compilation of strategies that migrants can use to defend themselves against detention and deportations. With contributions from many local activist organizers and based on legal materials produced by the Immigration Legal Committee of NOII-TO and the Law Union of Ontario, this 25 minute film is grassroots filmmaking in action. Featuring an introduction by award winning documentary film director and producer, Min Sook Lee (El Contrato, Borderless, Hogtown), and a moderated discussion with community organizers on the front-lines of the struggle for migrant justice, the event will be a space for our communities to gather, learn, and discuss strategies to take the fight to push immigration enforcement out of our lives to the next level.
www.facebook.com/events/550644838389366/ and http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/842

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Restacking the Deck: Streaming by Class, Race and Gender in Ontario Schools
Book launch and public discussion
Thursday, May 15, 6:30 pm
William Doo Auditorium, New College, U of T, 41 Willcocks Street (at the corner of Spadina), two blocks north of College and two blocks south of Harbord
http://restackingthedeck.eventbrite.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making Sense of Transitional Justice - Public Lecture
Thursday, May 15, 3 - 4:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)
Refugees and Forced Migration
http://beitzatoun.org/event/public-lecture-making-sense-of-transitional-justice/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SolarShare Co-op Webinar
Thursday, May 15, noon - 1 p.m.
Please join us for a virtual lunchtime meeting from the comfort of your home or office. We'll go through the ins and outs of investing and participating in SolarShare projects. You'll have a chance to ask questions and participate if you wish. All you need is a computer with working speakers or headphones. Hope to "meet" you there!
www.solarshare.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Give a Hand for the Rand
Thursday, May 15, 7 – 10 pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto
$20 individual | $10 unwaged
Entertainment by Alarm Her Majesty. Guest MCs include Fred Hahn, CUPE Ontario President, and Jan Borowy, Lawyer at Cavalluzzo
The Rand Formula, aka automatic dues check-off, has been the key to fairness in Canadian unionized workplaces since 1946. It is based on the principle that since all workers in a union share the benefits of collective bargaining, we should all also pay dues to support the union’s efforts. The recent ‘Right to Work’ platform of Hudak conservatives shows we can no longer take the Rand for granted.=
mayworks.ca  /  https://www.facebook.com/events/769364629762657

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Healing Anxiety, Panic Attacks And Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Drug Free
Seminar
Thur. May 15, 7 pm. Free.
Big Carrot, 348 Danforth
416-466-2129.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Let's Grow Food: DIY Container Gardens Workshop
Thur. May 15, 5:30 - 8:30 pm.
FoodShare, 90 Croatia
$75 (sliding scale avail)
Pre-register 416-363-6441 ext 247, angela at foodshare.net

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What's Next For The Two-State Solution?
Thur. May 15, 7:30 p.m.
Congregation First Narayever, 187 Brunswick
Canadian Friends of Peace Now presents a talk by Globe And Mail journalist Patrick Martin. Free.
info at peacenowcanada.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make Your Own Healthy Sunscreens and Bug Repellants
Friday, May 16, 10am to 4pm
Anarres Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road (at Bloor)
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/content/sun-bug-protection

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Decolonize Grassroots Collective Community Organizing Workshop
Friday May 16, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Harvest Noon Cafe (upstairs at GSU Building), 16 Bancroft Ave, U of T.
Pay What You Can, sliding scale $5+ No one will be turned away for lack of funds. All proceeds go to support the tour. Vegan food.
Can’t make it & would like to still support the tour? Donate via: http://bit.ly/1slv8ay
- Discussion about colonization from an indigenous context; how we can move forward to support nations and learn protocols to engage in meaningful solidarity building
- Anti-Oppression basics; intersections and interdependences between oppressions and navigating their effects on individuals/communities/societies
- How to engage in Grassroots, horizontal, democratic anti oppressive, collective community organizing and conflict resolution
https://www.facebook.com/events/454335451335962
http://harvestnoon.com/decolonize-grassroots-collective-community-organizing-workshop/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Decolonization & Anti-Oppression workshop
Sat. May 17, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
27 Kings College Circle, U of T
We are traveling from Vancouver / unceded coast salish territory. In solidarity with the grassroots community actions of Idle No More.
- Discussion about colonization from an indigenous context within Canada
- Anti-Oppression terminology investigation & circle discussion
- Community organizing, meaningful solidarity building, conflict resolutions & horizontal group/community structures.
https://www.facebook.com/events/471833429610953/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto International Circus Festival
Saturday, Sunday & Monday, May 17, 18 & 19
Harbourfront
A free family circus festival! Side-splitting comedy. Mind-bending acrobatics. Jaw-dropping daredevil stunts
http://www.tocircusfestival.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Potluck and Discussion
Saturday May 17, 5:30 - 9 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
With PV Rajagopal and Jill Carr Harris. Learn about their organization: Ekta Parishad (nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize)
- Gandhian non-violent tactics workshop
- Looking to build bridges with First Nations community
Bring a dish or snack food if possible
rsvp: lyn.adamson9 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Host a Workshop Training
Sunday May 18, 1 - 5 p.m.
U of T location
This training will cover the principles of workshop design and delivery including how to create a comfortable learning environment, manage workshop logistics, and choose content and tools that caters to different learning styles and levels of participation. This workshop will specifically focus on methods and tools for active participation in trainings. The workshop will explore strategies to deal with common challenges workshop leaders face. Participants will have the opportunity to create a simple workshop design, practice delivering tools and get feedback.
Register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/how-to-host-a-workshop-training-tickets-11391665779

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in