T.O. Greenspiration Events: Movers and Shakers

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun May 25 22:57:59 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
- Pass this onto a friend!

---------------------------------------

“To deny this is to deny reality. But regardless of odds or potential outcomes (our choices / strength of character / what we stand for / our legacies should be based on principles of common sense, compassion, fairness / equity / equality / justice, wellness, survival, NOT the likelihood of success or failure), we ALL -- especially those of us with greater privilege, opportunity, voice than so many others -- have the power and moral responsibility to ACT, get informed, step up AND out, volunteer, participate, contribute, advocate / spread the word, protest, entertain / embrace considered risk at times, try to help however possible and, in doing so, INSPIRE others to do the same. Because if we take the decision / path to see AND face the true -- indeed, the existential -- wickedness of our now-shared, undeniable, inescapable predicament, there will at least be possibilities. Perhaps even some we haven't imagined -- yet.”  - Glenn MacIntosh, EcoSanity

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Month: May 26 – June 26
A celebration of cycling in the Greater Toronto Area with hundreds of community events including rides, races, tours, festivals, and more.
http://bikemonth.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Need road repairs? Call 311
Potholes, faded bike lane markings, and other problems create hazards for cyclists and other road users. If you spot something that needs repair, make sure the city knows about it by calling 311, and reporting it online at: www.toronto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Majority TV is now launched
Our weekly radio show on CIUT 89.5 has been launched on YouTube with a full video show and special video interviews. Check out the new show including last weeks show about 'eco-terrorism' and extreme movements here: http://greenmajority.nationbuilder.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Forbidden Voices
Their voices are suppressed, prohibited and censored. But world-famous bloggers Yoani Sánchez, Zeng Jinyan and Farnaz Seifi are not frightened of their dictatorial regimes. These fearless women stand for a new, networked generation of modern rebels. In Cuba, China and Iran their blogs shake the foundations of the state information monopoly - putting their lives at great risk. CBC documentary.
http://www.cbc.ca/documentarychannel/feature-programs/forbidden_voices/?cid=The+Norse%3A++An+Arctic+Mystery+-+Tonight+on+The+Nature+of+Things

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Active Communities Pledge is an initiative of Share the Road Cycling Coalition to encourage voters and candidates to be champions for cycling and active transportation in the upcoming June 12 provincial election. Take the pledge!
http://www.activecommunitiespledge.ca/index.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take the Waste Free Challenge
10 simple steps you can take right now to reduce, reuse, recycle and compost more of your waste.
http://www.wastefreeto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2 rooms available
Smaller room offered at $435, plus a larger room at $545.
Shared kitchen, bathroom, garden, bike parking and hydro. Heat and internet are included.
Looking for mature non-smokers, not into booze big or loud parties.
Location Dufferin/Davenport - convenient for 24-hour TTC.
E-mail: ourcentre.tocr at yahoo.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leading for Real
Mon. May 26, 6:30 - 9 pm,
The Friends (Quakers) Meeting Room, 60 Lowther Ave
An Inquiry into, “What are you facing in the world that is calling for your leadership? What are we as a human family facing in the world that is calling for our leadership? And how can/will we respond?”
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/embodied-leadership-series-tickets-10573145563?aff=mcivte

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Bonds: Mobilizing Long-term, Climate Change Capital. Real or an Illusion?
Monday, May 26, 10 a.m. - noon
Hyatt Regency Hotel. 370 King Street W, Toronto
$49.00. Includes light refreshments.
Join The University of Toronto’s School of the Environment’s Environmental Finance Advisory Committee for a lively panel discussion on the risks and opportunities for Green Bonds: Mobilizing Long-term Capital to Support Greening the Economy. Nothing says "Environmental Finance" more than "Green Bonds". Developed by early (and continuing) innovator issuers like the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation and the European Investment Bank, Green Bonds are now rapidly evolving into an asset class, tied loosely or tightly to green infrastructure, projects and activities.

Register https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/green-bonds-mobilizing-long-term-climate-change-capital-real-or-an-illusion-registration-11173304655?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

An Evening with Charles Montgomery
Award-winning author of bestselling book HAPPY CITY
Monday May 26, 6:30 - 9 pm
720 Bathurst, CSI (at Bloor). $5
Are you passionate about placemaking? Are you an urban activist, thinker, creator, or lobbyist, passionate about your city? Interested in creating a great neighborhood?
If so, then this is the event for you!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/an-evening-with-charles-montgomery-award-winning-author-of-bestselling-book-happy-city-tickets-11191258355

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mass Mind Control
Disorders are billing codes, MK Ultra, Prozac, Zoloft etc. mass murders and homicides
With Sydney White, investigative journalist - Studies in Propaganda
Mon. May 26, 6 p.m.
Rm. #140 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
A Free-U-of-T event
For more info: 416 787 0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

LACSN (Latin American and Carribbean Solidarity Network) is hosting a new members meeting for Individuals, organizations, and grassroots collectives to join our network
Monday May 26, 7 pm
OISE, Room #5250, 252 Bloor St W (St. George subway)
To work collaboratively on activities and events in solidarity with progressive struggles here, across Turtle Island and Latin American.
http://lacsn.weebly.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care?: Reforming Canada's Senate
Monday, May 26, 7:30 p.m. (doors open 7 p.m.)
Duke of York Pub, 39 Prince Arthur Ave. (near University and Bloor)
Though the debate over Senate’s value continues, the fundamental arguments remain the same: critics contend that the Senate is a thoroughly flawed institution. Advocates see it as playing a necessary role in the operation of Canada’s government. What function does Senate serve in our democratically elected political process and should changes to its framework be made? Leading constitutional expert Peter Russell will discuss the role of the Senate in Canadian politics. He will answer your questions on whether Senate reform is needed, and if so, how change can be made.
RSVP: http://whyshouldicare.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=49814f037bc23c56222deca06&id=29ddbc9b28&e=ae6e1d893c

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Neoliberalism and Politics: Reflections on the recent elections in India
Monday, May 26, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Prabhat Patnaik, Professor Emeritus, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. A highly distinguished and internationally renowned critical scholar.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/neoliberalism-and-politics-reflections-on-the-recent-elections-in-india/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sea Sick: How We're Pushing the Planet Toward Mass Extinction
Tues. May 27, 6:30 - 8 pm
Runnymede Public Library, 2178 Bloor St. W
Journalist and author Alanna Mitchell talks about her travels around the world with scientists who are racing to understand how we're changing the ocaean's chemistry and its ability to support life on the planet.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Breakfast session with award-winning author Charles Montgomery
Tuesday May 27, 7:30 a.m. -10:30 am
One King West Hotel. $40 includes breakfast.
Are you an elected official, city staff member, or an engaged citizen looking for new ideas on how to create a successful and healthy city for all? How to transform neighborhoods into vibrant places to live?Join us!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/happy-city-creating-successful-healthy-cities-for-all-tickets-11201723657

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shab-e She'r (Poetry Night) XVIII  Open Stage of poetry and music
Tuesday, May 27, 7pm (open mic signups 6:30)
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Each month, Shab-e She'r brings voices from a broad range of poetic styles, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, etc.  Vanessa McGowan is a Toronto based Spoken Word Artist and Singer/Songwriter steeped in social justice, advocacy, counselling and workshop facilitation with 13 years experience in social services. Josh Smith is many things.  Host: Bänoo Zan.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/shab-e-sher-poetry-night-xviii/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Housing Co-Op Info Session
Tues. May 27, 7 p.m.
McCormick Community Centre, 66 Sheridan
Get details on Dufferin Grove Housing Co-op. Free.
dufferingrove.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Self Care To Collective Empowerment
Wednesday, May 28, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)
For activists, students, community workers, cultural workers and others. Are you stressed? Do you see people around you burning out? Do you multi-task? Do you struggle with balancing activism and your life commitments? Are you carrying an impossible load? Combining Indigenous knowledge and cutting edge science this workshop will help you make use of the relationship between self and collective empowerment.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/from-self-care-to-collective-empowerment/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nutritional Support for Kids on the Asperger’s and Autism Spectrum
Wed. May 28, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm 5-280
http://bit.ly/1noeiZG

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unist'ot'en Camp and the Showdown With Chevron: How Can Toronto Be in Solidarity?
Thursday, May 29, 6 pm videos, 7 p.m. discussion
Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway)
Since 2010 Unist'ot'en clan members have been maintaining a permanent presence on their traditional territory in so-called Northern British Columbia, to assert sovereignty over lands which were never ceded to the Canadian government and to begin a process of decolonization. The Camp also stands as the enforcement of a clan decision to ban all of the proposed Fracked Gas and Tar Sands pipelines intending to cross over their territory. Hear about the latest developments in the showdown with Chevron, what is being planned in response, and how we can be in solidarity from here in Toronto.
Fundrazr Campaign. http://fnd.us/c/dkgyf/sh/e3I2Yf
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/513634472092146/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Movers & Shakers, Community Makers: Our Activist Neighbourhood
Thur. May 29, 7 p.m.
Ralph Thornton Centre, 765 Queen E.
Presentations and discussion of the Riverdale community's history of social action, with Amy Go and others. Free.
ralphthornton.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Menstravaganza
Thur. May 29, 7 p.m.
The Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles
(Femme Int'l) An evening of menstruation-themed cinema and a panel discussion about periods in global culture mark Menstrual Hygiene Day. $10.
416-531-9959.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Amazing Universe
Thur. May 27, 7 p.m.
Spadina Road Library, 10 Spadina Rd.
Presentation on alien worlds, the life and death of stars, cosmic catastrophes and more. Free.
torontopubliclibrary.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Silent Partners: Sustainable Architecture - Lecture
Thur. May 27, 6 - 9 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina
Conservation Council of Ontario presentation by Green-Deck-City architect Loghman Azar. Free.
pre-register 416-533-1635.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trinity-Spadina Town Hall Event with Elizabeth May and Green Party of Ontario Leader Mike Schreiner
Friday, May 30, 6:30 p.m.
Auditorium (Room 2158), Medical Sciences Building, University of Toronto, 1 King's College Circle, U of T
Let’s talk about how Greens are bringing real change to both Parliament and Queen's Park.
This free event is open to media and the public -- to reserve your seat, send an email to RSVP at greenparty.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/717056285004975/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

stories beyond borders
Friday, May 30, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Bathurst
Presented by Canadian Roots - an evening of short-video screenings created by youth for youth! Exhibiting a body of digital work that is a product of a youth led art-based collective learning process. The youth, ranging from 17 to 28, discuss their personal experiences and thoughts on community and identity in relation to indigenous history, issues, and justice.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/stories-beyond-borders/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Critical Mass Ride
Fri. May 28, meet at 6 p.m., ride at 6:30 p.m.
Bloor and Spadina.
Ride en masse. Take the streets in joy and safety. Free. Fun.
facebook.com/groups/2246288900.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Common Thread Community Chorus of Toronto presents its annual May concert
A concert of Folk music featuring “Santa Maria de Iquique” and Special guests Proyecto Altiplano
Saturday, May 31, 1:30 pm and 7:30 pm.
The Estonian House, 958 Broadview Ave.
Ticket prices are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Seniors and students, $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Children under 12 are free.
Common Thread is a secular, non-auditioned choir that sings folk music reflecting the languages and cultures of Toronto. Common Thread is for anyone who believes that social justice and community can be built through music. We want to remember the striking workers, their wives, and their children who were massacred on December 21, 1907 by the Chilean army at the Santa Maria de Iquique school in Chile.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Tree Planting in Mississauga
Saturday, May 31, 9 am – 12 noon
Erindale Park, Mississauga
Come join Sierra Club on for community tree planting. Shovels, gloves, and light refreshments will be provided, and high school students are eligible for volunteer hours. A great way to get involved and give back to the environment and your community! Rain or shine, hope to see you there!
RSVP with Lindsey Jennings at ljennings at creditvalleyca.ca or call at 1-800-668-5557 ext  445.
http://ontario.sierraclub.ca/en/challenge-urban-sprawl-grow-greenbelt/tree-planting-mississauga-may-31

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Festival Of Social Innovation
Sat. May 31, 2 - 6 p.m.
CSI Annex, 720 Bathurst (near Bloor)
Celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Centre for Social Innovation and its programs. Free.
socialinnovation.ca/festival.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do the Math - film and discussion on carbon pricing
Sunday June 1, 7 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
Film showing 'Do the Math' followed by discussion on carbon pricing with Cheryl McNamara of Citizens Climate Lobby.  Do the Math shows the numbers on the climate crisis, the tarsands, and the divestment movement. Free. Organized by ClimateFast and Toronto350.
www.climatefast.ca, toronto350.org, www.citizensclimatelobby.ca  416-731-6605.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bruce Trail Conservancy - Toronto Club and we are hosting our first ever Hike-a-thon in August
Registration starts June 1
http://brucetrail.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in