T.O. Greenspiration Events: O Canada! We Stand on Guard For A Safe Climate

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jun 29 23:30:08 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend! -a

---------------------------------------

Supreme Court of Canada recognizes Aboriginal title for Tsilhqot’in Nation
The Supreme Court of Canada declared that the Tsilhqot’in Nation has Aboriginal title to part of their traditional territory. This is a landmark decision, though not a revolution.
http://www.oktlaw.com/blog/in-a-first-for-a-canadian-court-scc-recognizes-aboriginal-title-for-tsilhqotin-nation/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Council graded in Enviro Report Card
TEA's Enviro Report Card was released yesterday. The report card grades Toronto City Councillors and the Mayor on their environmental performance over the past 4 years based on how they voted on 31 key environmental votes. What grade did the Mayor and your Councillor get? Click here to find out! http://bit.ly/1mE2r7D
Read more about the votes, how we determined the grades and see a detailed vote spreadsheet on our website at www.torontoenvironment.org/vote2014.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Enbridge Northern Gateway Crimeline
11 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZf5fC9v2qE&list=PLIbt-C7z11l3LAW1BhUiwfLI942UGHKzY

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The TPP is coming to Canada (not that it's easy to tell)
Canada is about to play host to the latest round of high-level talks aimed at concluding the sweeping 12-nation trade and corporate rights pact known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), but the Harper government seems to be doing as much as it can to ensure nobody even knows it’s happening.
http://canadians.org/blog/tpp-coming-canada-not-its-easy-tell

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop PM/Premier Power Abuses
Send a letter compliments of Democracy Watch.
http://democracywatch.ca/campaigns/stop-the-supremos/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Biz O Madness.  The Antipsychiatry Page
Dr. Bonnie Burstow, a Toronto=based scholar and activist has a new blog devoted to the Antipsychiatry Project, the Madness Project, and related projects and publications.
http://bizomadness.blogspot.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto G20, 4 years later: 18 disturbing facts all Canadians should know
http://cdnpoli.tumblr.com/post/89764060652/toronto-g20-4-years-later-18-disturbing-facts-all

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Help Defend Unceded Unist'ot'en Territory
Chevron is threatening to begin construction on the Pacific Trails Pipeline after June 15 (which has already passed). In the event of an attack on unceded Unist'ot'en territory, we will be holding an emergency rally (details TBD) as soon as possible. To get on the text tree for Toronto, please email Nate your phone number at nathan.prier at gmail.com, or text him directly at 416.993.1813.
http://unistotencamp.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz
Fri. June 27 – July 7
Bloor Hot Docs, Bloor and Bathurst
As a teenager, Aaron Swartz took the Internet community by storm with capabilities, intellect and understanding that matched its most seasoned members. He helped found or develop countless household-name technologies and companies in the time it takes most people finish college. Aaron was a pioneer in Internet activism, and stood at the forefront of the SOPA and PIPA victories. He looked towards a limitless future—but his life took a dramatic turn. In 2011 and 2012, he was indicted by prosecutors who charged him with a staggering number of felonies. Aaron found himself facing 35 years in prison, and at the age of 26 was found dead in his apartment, from an apparent suicide. As we hear from those closest to Aaron, this incredibly inspirational and moving story shows how one of the most promising minds of a generation found himself staring down a government prosecuting him under the very laws he was fighting against
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=26010~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Election day: Monday, June 30
	• Scarborough–Agincourt
	• Trinity–Spadina
http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=ele&dir=2014&document=index&lang=e

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

O Canada! We Stand on Guard For A Safe Climate
Tues. July 1, 4 p.m.
Taddle Creek Park, at Bedford and Prince Arthur [St. George Station] or Friends House if raining - 60 Lowther Ave
It’s a good time to reflect on what it means to be a Canadian – especially in times of great change; and especially at this time when we face global dilemmas like the dire crisis of climate disruption. ClimateFast.ca are inviting people to join together to share on the question: how can we help to ensure a safe climate future for Canada? We will share our concerns and ideas. Then we will share a light supper.
Climatefast.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Here's to a radical Canada Day
What kind of Canada do you want? Do you treasure our spectacular natural landscapes, clean water and air and abundant natural resources? Do you value our commitment to fairness, enlightened social programs, education and public health? Do you believe we should do all we can to protect the things that make this country great? By Dr. David Suzuki.
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/science-matters/2014/06/heres-to-a-radical-canada-day/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Forest Foodie-Family Nature Walk
Wed. July 1, 1:30 - 3 pm.
High Park Nature Centre, 440 Parkside
Find out who eats what in the wild, make a squirrel salad and munch on some human edibles.  $2-$5 or donate what you can.
highparknaturecentre.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

the toronto fringe festival
july 2 – 13
Toronto’s indie theatre festival features plays, dance works, sketch comedy, solo shows and more by local and international companies. $10-$12, passes $45-$85. Various venues.
http://fringetoronto.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canvass for Olivia
Sat. July 5, 1 pm – 4 pm
Neighbourhoods across the city. Sign up with your address and we will be in touch with the canvass closest to you
Neighbour by neighbour, together we will build a better city. Saturday, July 5 is your chance to help out as we knock on doors for Olivia. Before heading out, you will be trained and paired with other volunteers. Sign up below and we will be in touch with more information about the canvass closest to where you live.
http://www.oliviachow.ca/canvass?utm_campaign=626_lasch_supb&utm_medium=email&utm_source=oliviachow

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Afrofest
Sat. Sun. July 5 -6, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Woodbine Park,  1695 Queen E.
AFROFEST is a free celebration of the richness and diversity of African culture. It is set to take place at Woodbine Park - Toronto on Saturday July 5th and Sunday July 6th, 2014. Featuring world-renowned African musicians and top African groups based in Canada, an African marketplace, food and craft vendors, artistic displays, music workshops, and organized activities for youth and children. AFROFEST is THE cultural event of the summer.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1431307633776131/?unit_ref=suggested_events
http://afrofest.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Plant Buy And Bike Fix Benefit (Ste-Emilie Skillshare)
Sun. July 6, 10 am - 6 pm.
662 Gladstone
A pay-what-you-can bike repair and market. Free.
facebook.com/events/1513782702178684

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Oil by Rail Week of Action - Keep the Oil Off the Rails and In the Ground
On the 1 year anniversary of Lac Magantic - solidarity vigil to remember each of the 47 lives lost. We're reminded that the same train travelled through the heart of Toronto before heading east.
Sunday July 6, 1 pm
Bartlett Ave Rail railway crossing, north of DuPont
Lac-Megantic’s struggle is a grim reminder to us all: Big oil will stop at nothing to extract, transport, and burn every drop of oil in the ground. No matter the risk, no matter the cost to public health, safety, and the climate, the oil industry will jump at every opportunity to profit. But now is the time when we say NO MORE. No more exploding trains. No more tar sands. No more reckless endangerment of our communities and our climate! No tar sands in Toronto.
https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaigns/oil-by-rail-week-of-action
stopoiltrains.org
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/24534-revealed-what-happened-the-night-of-the-oil-train-disaster-in-lac-megantic-quebec

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peoples Social Forum: Ottawa, August 21-24
There will be buses going from T.O. and billeting, so it’ll be cheap, inspiring and fun! Register now.
Host a workshop – deadline July 1.
http://www.peoplessocialforum.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in