T.O. Greenspiration Events: Wild Thing

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 6 21:13:34 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend! -a

---------------------------------------

Tell Toronto City Council: Say yes to the TTC low income passes
http://chn.ge/1t8FbTW
http://app.mailerlite.com/s4l8p8/57252059/y7l5/3000981205

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Harper: Defend Online Privacy
https://openmedia.ca/defendprivacy?src=dw

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Ten Commandments of Movement Solidarity
http://www.energyjustice.net/content/ten-commandments-movement-solidarity

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How green cities are better for us physically and psychologically
Every heard of Vitamin G? If the hubbub of cities heightens anxiety – as recent German research suggests – then nature is Valium. There’s a near-universal calm in the rustle of wind in the trees and the steady slosh of an ocean tide. In the Netherlands, researchers call it Vitamin G, as in “green.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/how-green-cities-are-better-for-us-physically-and-psychologically/article19474393/?page=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bikestock
Who – Anyone who owns a bicycle!
What – BIKESTOCK – Toronto’s biggest ride for cycling ending in a rally
Where – One of your favourite Bells rides (Bloor, Danforth or Yonge)!
When – September 14th 2014; Rally at 2:30pm, Nathan Phillips Square
www.bikestock.ca
https://www.facebook.com/bikestockto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Carfree Times
Summer Issue
http://carfree.com/cft/i074.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mad Pride Toronto
Jul 7 to 14
Arts, culture and heritage festival created by psychiatric survivors, consumers, mad people and folks the world has labelled "mentally ill."
madprideto.com
Mad Pride Toronto seeks to bring mentally ill into the mainstream
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/07/01/mad_pride_toronto_seeks_to_bring_mentally_ill_into_the_mainstream.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

the toronto fringe festival
july 2 – 13
Toronto’s indie theatre festival features plays, dance works, sketch comedy, solo shows and more by local and international companies. $10-$12, passes $45-$85. Various venues.
http://fringetoronto.com/
Potosí is a play which tries to explore the fundamental contradictions of free will and moral responsibility in the (so-called) post-colonial world.
http://fringetoronto.com/fringe-festival/shows/potosi/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Hubris Of Elite Economics Occupy Economics workshop
Mon. July 7, 6:30 pm.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil (Spadina and College). Free.
occupyeconomics.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Revenge of the Electric Car
Tues. July 8, 6:15 pm
Runnymede Library - 2178 Bloor St.W.
Whereas Who Killed the Electric Car (2006) ended with the destruction of nearly 5,000 electric cars from California's clean air program, notably the GM EV1, the new film “Revenge” features the birth of a new generation of electric cars including the Chevrolet Volt, the Nissan Leaf and the Tesla Roadster.  Come see the film, engage in a discussion, get to see and test ride a Electric Car, after.
http://www.green13toronto.org/event/revenge-electric-car-free-screening-and-discussion

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transition Pot Luck - Eat and Build Community
Tuesday, July 8, 7 pm
Christie Pits Park (Bloor and Crawford)
Whether you want to pitch some ideas and start some projects with Transition Toronto, or just want to enjoy good food, come on out to Christie Pits with a contribution to the meal. We’ll have the banner flying and we’ll bring food, too! Celebrate summer with your Transition movement.
http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/transition-pot-luck-eat-and-build-community
https://www.facebook.com/events/280343892145074

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Body Care Products: Do They Poison You?
A Lunch and Learn by the Life Transformation Institute with Tracey TieF and author Max Haroon
Tuesday, 8 July, noon - 2 p.m.
Chef of India Restaurant, 1415 Yonge St (near St. Clair)
$20 includes lunch
There's so much that's said to be bad for you, and bad for the environment, so who do you believe, and where do you start? We'll discuss the toxins that commonly plague us in our oral and body care products and explain some healthy, simple solutions; you can even make your own. Please feel free to bring along some of your favourite oral care products and find out what really lies within!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/body-care-products-do-they-poison-you-a-lunch-and-learn-by-the-life-transformation-institute-tickets-11962990627

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Homeless Memorial
Tues. July 8, noon
Church of the Holy Trinity (Near Bay and Dundas, west of Eaton Centre)
Event is outdoors, it is accessible and is followed by a light lunch indoors. 2nd Tues. of every month.
http://www.holytrinitytoronto.org/wp/justice-work/homeless-memorial/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of Action at Queen's Park on the Private Clinics
Deliver Tens of Thousands of Ballots from Our Citizen-Led Referendum to the Ontario Legislature
Tuesday July 8
Queen's Park, Main Legislative Building (College and University Ave.)
	• At 11 a.m. there will be a rally/media event to deliver 100,000 votes to the front doors of Queen's Park.
	• At 11:45 a.m. there will be a quick briefing.
	• From 12 - 2:30 p.m. volunteer lobbyists will attend lobby meetings with MPPs.
Come and help us maximize the pressure on the Premier to stop the private clinics before it is too late!
www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Project Wild Thing - outdoor screening
Wednesday, July 9, 7 pm
Fort York National Historic Site, 250 Fort York Blvd.
On July 9th, 2014 join the David Suzuki Foundation's Homegrown National Park Project for an outdoor screening of this award-winning UK documentary. The event will offer a really big screen, food and drink, a six-piece jazz band and a campfire. Free admission.
http://on.fb.me/1vPpygm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

DIY Natural Sunscreen
With Tracey TieF of Anarres Natural Health
Wednesday, July 9th, 7 to 8:30 PM
Karma Coop, 739 Palmerston Avenue (in the ally)
Suggested donation: $10 to cover material costs
RSVP at the store or through manager at karmacoop.org
In this DIY workshop you'll learn everything you need to know to keep you and your loved ones safe in the sun. We'll make a safe, all natural sun protection lotion or cream using naturally SPF oils, cocoa or shea butter or coconut oil, plus zinc oxide.  You'll go home with 120 ml in a beautiful recycled metal pump bottle or jar. For an extra eco happy bonus, bring your own container.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mad Hatter's Tea Party
Wed. July 9, 4 - 6 p.m.
CAMH Cafeteria, 1001 Queen W.
Mad Pride Toronto festival hosts a debate on coercion in psychiatry.
416-535-8501 ext 33013. madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tesla Science Expo
Thursday July 10. The trade show floor opens at 4p.m., show begins at 7:30 and ends at 10 p.m.
Ontario Science Centre (Eglinton and Don Mills)
The show features a mixed media interactive documentary titled “The Healing Field” that is produced by Robert W. Connolly. The event will include live on stage “Tesla Talk” presentations and hands on demonstrations from health experts such as Trent University’s  Dr. Magda Havas PhD,  author and lecturerDr. William Pawluk MD and co-inventor of the Moog Voyager music synthesizer – August Worley.
http://teslamania.tv/expo-speakers/tesla-science-expo/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

F-You: The Forgiveness Project
Thur. July 10, 6:30 p.m.
Bulwer Space, 37 Bulwer (near Queen and Spadina)
Sex & Hip-Hop speaker series. Free.
thefyouproject.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Plant Medicine in the City
Thur. July 10, 6:30 p.m.
Queen/Saulter Library, 765 Queen E.
Learn to identify locally grown medicinal plants and how to use them safely for food and medicine. Free.
416-393-7723, torontopubliclibrary.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lotions, Potions & Creams I
Friday, July 11, 10 am to 4pm
Anarres Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt (at Bloor)
Come learn to make your own lotions, for yourself, your family, and your clients. We'll use simple, natural, vegan ingredients like vegetable waxes and flower waters. You'll chose enhancing ingredients like essential oils, cocoa butter, shea butter, argan, tamanu, evening primrose, rosehip and calendula oil to meet individual skin needs. http://www.anarreshealth.ca/content/lotions-i

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CAPA's Mad Pride Event: Comedy, Spoken Word, Song
Saturday, July 12, 1 pm – 3 pm
OISE, peace lounge, 7th floor, 252 Bloor St. W.
Come laugh with CAPA (Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault) and supporters, be entertained, hear cutting edging political music, join in the festivities-
https://www.facebook.com/events/509937999132578/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SlutWalk
Sat. July 12, 3 – 5 p.m.
Nathan Phillips Square (Queen and Bay)
We’ll march up University Avenue to Queen’s Park, with speeches from 4-5pm.
The two years since our last Toronto SlutWalk have been full of triumphs, but also stark reminders that there is still much work to be done in ending victim-blaming and holding perpetrators of sexual violence accountable. Originally formed in February 2011, SlutWalk Toronto came together as a response to a Toronto Police Service officer’s victim-blaming and ill-informed remark “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”. The single march spread like wildfire. Over the past 3 years, marches have been organized in over 200 hundred cities on every continent except Antarctica, all organized independently by community members who are tired of victim-blaming and rape culture. We do not require participants to want to reclaim slut or any other slurs that have been used against them, nor do we require any particular dress code. We ask only that you come to support an end to victim-blaming and rape culture. Regardless of the victim’s ability, age, attire, gender, housing situation, immigration status, income, intoxication, job, race, or relationship with the abuser, the only person ever responsible for sexual violence is the perpetrator.
http://www.slutwalktoronto.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SlutWalkToronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save David Dunlop Forest
Sat. July 12, 2 p.m.
Meet at Yonge St. and Weldrick Rd. in Richmond Hill. Take Richmond Hill Viva blue bus from Finch subway station before 1:30pm. Bring water and binoculars.
David Dunlop Observatory - Nature Walk. Approximately half of the 150-acre David Dunlap Forest in Richmond Hill remains threatened by urban development, the worst threat to forests in the greater Toronto region. The Richmond Hill Naturalists are still struggling to rescue it from the bulldozer. Come to witness this important ecosystem in the Don River headwaters.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1465450887028134/?context=create&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&source=49
http://www.rhnaturalists.ca/
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195114

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trees By Two Wheels: A Biking Tour Of The Urban Forest
Sat. July 12, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Meet at NW corner of Queen and Euclid  - ride ends at Rosedale subway station
Pick up simple tree identification tricks and learn about biking in the city.  $5 sugg donation.
Pre-register yourleaf.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop Legal Clinic Mergers: First Organizing Meeting
Sunday, July 13, 1 pm
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Room 5150
17 independent community legal clinics in Toronto (GTA) are under threat of being merged into 3-5 super-clinics with huge catchment areas. Many legal clinics have long relationships with low-income communities - this historic connection will be lost in exchange for larger more bureaucratic institutions. Clinic transformation should only be adopted after widespread, transparent, and open discussion amongst low income people(s) and community members has occurred. Instead, the transformation project is being rapidly pushed through. Clinic boards are being pressured to vote on mergers in the coming weeks.  We should not concede to Legal Aid Ontario’s (LAO) and/or the Government’s demands merely because they hold funding cuts over our heads. We can resist attempts to divide and rule between poverty law clinics, specialty clinics, and private bar lawyers. Given the access to justice issues at stake, we don’t need to accept mergers as inevitable. We should define an alternative agenda. Poverty law clinics exist because of struggle, and have always been maintained through struggle - today as much as ever.
For more info: stopclinicmergers at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tour: Getting Around Downtown in the Automobile Age
Sun. July 13, 10:30 am
Start: SW corner of Queen St and Yonge St
Finish: York St and Bremner Blvd
Approx. 1 1/2 hours
Focus: Historical, architectural, natural
Long walk on flat pavement (3+ km)
Ever wonder how cars transformed the city’s landscape? Or about the origins of the PATH system? Why did Toronto build Canada’s first subway under Yonge Street? Explore these changes and the ways we have traveled to and within the downtown over the past century.
http://heritagetoronto.org/event/7617/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Time For Peace In Toronto
Sun. July 13, 7 p.m.
Sony Centre, 1 Front E.
Talk by international peace ambassador Prem Rawat. Free.
pre-register: wopg.org/en/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Taking Charge of Change
An online activist training course for young workers who want to lead, build, and organize for change.
Taking Charge of Change (TCC) is an intensive six-week activist training program for young workers and youth activists (age 30 and under) who want to lead, build and organize for change. This program takes place in a participatory online learning environment.
The program runs September 16 to October 23, 2014, with two sessions per week on each Tuesday and Thursday.
Applications are open from June 9, 2014 to July 9, 2014.
www.canadianlabour.ca/tcc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in