T.O. Greenspiration Events: What on Earth!

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 13 21:28:22 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend! -a

---------------------------------------

Vote 2014: Invest for the Future
October 27, 2014 is election day for a new Toronto Council. Our city needs councillors and a mayor who are willing to prepare for the future by investing in the environment.  TEA’s Green Action Agenda focuses on five crucial issues that must be addressed by the next Council, and the investments we need to make.
http://torontoenvironment.org/vote2014/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Invest in solar bonds, right here in Ontario
For my $1000 investment, I get a guaranteed rate of return of 5% for 20 years and beyond that it's profit. But it's not about money - it's about ushering in the green energy revolution. SolarShare is Canada’s leading renewable energy co-op.
http://www.solarbonds.ca/about/about-us

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Helsinki's ambitious plan to make car ownership pointless in 10 years
Finland's capital hopes a 'mobility on demand' system that integrates all forms of shared and public transport in a single payment network could essentially render private cars obsolete
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/jul/10/helsinki-shared-public-transport-plan-car-ownership-pointless

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Proactive Search for Mental Illnesses in Children
A new government-funded mental health training program for British Columbia family physicians and school staff promotes screening for mental disorders in all children and youth. Critics say the program omits key scientific evidence, seems more like drug promotion than medical education, and downplays serious potential harms. Nevertheless, programs like it are rolling out across Canada and the US. Part one of a two-part Mad In America investigation into the expansion of psychological screening and electronic surveillance of children and youth.
http://www.madinamerica.com/2014/07/proactive-pursuit/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Thanks to Your Support, 35 City Councillors Supported the Low-Income Pass
Thanks to your emails, calls, letters, and tweets, 35 city councillors voted on Tuesday, July 8th to support the planning of a low-income pass.This is a great victory! Council recognizes that many Torontonians need some fare relief. Included in Tuesday’s motion was a slight change that staff not only look at a low-income pass but explore deeper fare reductions for seniors, especially during off-peak hours. City staff now has 18 months to report back on a plan for the low-income pass: how much of a fare reduction it would be, who would qualify for such a pass, and how to fund it.
http://www.ttcriders.ca/thanks-to-your-support-35-city-councillors-supported-the-low-income-pass/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the biggest tar sands pipeline ever proposed
Next month, TransCanada is expected to offially submit its monster Energy East tar sands pipeline to the National Energy Board. This giant project would stretch 4,000 km from Alberta to the Atlantic, and carry climate-wrecking amounts of tar sands oil to be exported and burned. Prime Minister Harper has been doing everything he can to fast track tar sands development -- including cutting out communities and climate science from the pipeline review process. Stopping Energy East starts with a review that includes everyone, and is grounded in science. Can you add your name to our people's intervention calling for a fair, open and scientific review of Energy East?
http://act.350.org/letter/energy_east/?akid=4734.592488.Y76y41&rd=1&t=2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Grassy Narrows fight for rights and against clearcut logging continues despite Supreme Court setback
http://freegrassy.net/2014/07/11/grassy-narrows-fight-for-rights-and-against-clearcut-logging-continues-despite-supreme-court-setback/#sthash.Cz7lxJxk.dpuf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What on Earth!
A classic, 10 min. 1966 NFB animated film about cars being the dominant species on Planet Earth, according to space beings from Mars.
https://www.nfb.ca/film/what_on_earth

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peoples' Social Forum
August 21 – 24, University of Ottawa
The Peoples' Social Forum will open on August 21 with a traditional Algonquin ceremony at sunrise and a celebratory peoples' march in the afternoon. August 21 and 22 will see hundreds of participant-led workshops happen simultaneously at the University of Ottawa.  Saturday, August 23 will be a day of movement assemblies.  The last day there will be a final all-movements assembly and closing ceremony. The Peoples' Social Forum is also a joyous gathering with special exhibitions, work and peoples history tours, film screenings, critical mass rally, a pow-wow, street performances, concerts, games, and building new relationships. The Peoples Social Forum is a means of  stimulating debate, discussion and furthering our sense of community and collective action.
More info: www.peoplessocialforum.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sign the Open letter to three party leaders
Calling for electoral cooperation in the next federal election, to defeat Harper and implement proportional representation
 http://electoralalliance.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike lanes
A city-by-city comparison of on-street bike lanes vs. city size
Toronto: 114 kilometres (630 sq. kilometres)
Chicago: 320 kilometres (606 sq. kilometres)
Copenhagen: 443 kilometres (86 sq. kilometres)
Montreal: 730 kilometres (365 sq. kilometres)
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/06/09/torontos_cycling_plan_one_pedal_forward_one_back.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Our #ward18 Cycling Needs Survey closes on July 15
We need 13 more to get to 400!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KWT3CDF

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride4RealFood is about raising money for better food security
Money raised supports better access to real food for low-income people living in your city.
Sunday Sept 14, 2014. Donate or sign up to ride here
http://parc.donorpages.com/Ride4Real

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Farm Lot – summer market party
Tues. July 15, 6 – 9 p.m.
369 King St. W.
Local food, beer, music and good times. The Farm Lot has transformed an otherwise empty piece of land into a welcoming green space downtown. By planting a garden in the heart of Toronto, our goal is to remind people about the myriad possibilities that exist to grow food in the city. Free.
http://www.freshcityfarms.com/get-involved/the-farm-lot-2/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Train Rally
Tuesday, July 15, 9:30 a.m.
Union Station, 65 Front St. W
Elizabeth May will be travelling on the Green Train from coast to coast, from Vancouver all the way to our 2014 Convention in Fredericton, in support of a stronger passenger rail system in Canada and to raise awareness of the crisis facing our democracy. Bring your Green shirt, signs, banners, and noisemakers – Make your voice heard!
http://www.greenparty.ca/greentrain/toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Master of the Universe
Wed. July 16, 6 p.m.
Bloor Hot Doc, Bloor and Bathurst
Rainer Voss was one of the leading investment bankers in Germany, raking in millions each day. Now, in this unsettling insider’s look at the banking industry, Voss wanders through an abandoned Frankfurt bank, ruminating on the current economic situation. He reveals a world of extreme income and merciless pressure, sharing disturbing and overwhelmingly valuable information. Join renowned Globe and Mail journalists for a screening and discussion. Hear from award-winning journalists as we bring you up-close-and-personal to issues and events that shape our world.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=27009~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Overseas Volunteering Info Session
Wed. July 16, 6 p.m.
CSI Spadina, 215 Spadina
Learn about opportunities to share your skills around the world. Spanish speakers especially needed. Free.
647-478-4089, cusointernational.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts. This week's guests are Jared Kolb - executive director of Cycle Toronto, and Angela Bischoff of OCAA talking nukes.
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Turtle House Arts Market
Friday, July 18 @ 6-9 pm (Live Performances 7-8 pm)
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bloor)
Saturday, July 19 - Noon to 5 pm
A showcase and celebration of newcomer artists and artisans from regions of conflict featuring paintings carving jewelery and more.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/turtle-house-arts-market/?mc_cid=e5210df2d1&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lotions, Potions & Creams I
Friday, July 18, 10am to 4pm
at Anarres, Dovercourt and Bloor
More info & to register: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/content/lotions-i-0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Natural Hair Care I: Make Custom Shampoos and Conditioners
Friday, July 18, 2014 7 - 9 pm
at Anarres, Dovercourt and Bloor
More info & to register: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/content/intro-natural-hair-care-i-0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NDP’s National Day of Action on Climate Change
Sat. July 19th
7 events happening around the GTA for you to join in
https://action.ndp.ca/page/event/search_results?orderby=zip_radius&zip_radius[0]=m5v%202e5&zip_radius[1]=100&country=CA&radius_unit=km

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Revisiting The Nicaraguan Revolution
Sat. July 19 - 29, 7 - 10 p.m.
Vtape, 401 Richmond W, suite 452
Liberation Day event includes exhibition of original Sandinista posters distributed in Nicaragua during the 80s. Pwyc.
facebook.com/events/677626115620213

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

LiveGreen Toronto Festival
Saturday, July 19, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Yonge-Dundas Square
The Live Green Toronto Festival is a free event celebrating living an environmentally friendly lifestyle, with food, performances, “green” products, and more. It features live performances in the Yonge-Dundas Square, a TD Kids’ Zone, green activities and demonstrations, as well as delicious local and organically grown foods. Even a bicycle powered community stage!
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=f75b073fd17c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Anarchist Bookfair
July 19-20
Steelworkers’ Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Join us for a weekend full of anarchist-inspired activities, workshops, books, zines, food, friends, and good conversations.
http://torontoanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Permaculture 101
Sun. July 20, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
The 10, 75 Kootenay Cres, Scarborough
Workshop lead by organic farmer Travis Philp. $25.
Pre-register: eventbrite.ca/e/11985247197.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Watershed Wonders: The Forks Of The Don
Sun. July 20, 10 a.m.
Marc Garneau Collegiate, 135 Overlea
Heritage Toronto walk. Free/pwyc.
heritagetoronto.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Iraq's Present Crisis In Context
Sun. July 20, 2 p.m.
GCDO Hall, 290 Danforth
A discussion led by a leading member of the Iraqi Communist Party. Free.
416-469-2481

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Marketing for Hippies
Tad Hargrave is coming back to Toronto in late August to lead a couple pay what you can daylong workshops (the same workshop twice) where you can learn the marketing secrets of North America's most successful green, holistic, community-minded entrepreneurs, how to attract more of the clients you want (without ever sacrificing your integrity or spending a fortune).

Workshop #1
August 26th, 10am- 5pm
$25 deposit + PWYC at the end
http://torontomarketingforhippiesaugust.eventbrite.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/253820798152827/

Workshop #2
August 28th, 10am- 5pm
$25 deposit + PWYC at the end
http://marketingforhippiestoronto2.eventbrite.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/729522477093722/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in