T.O. Greenspiration Events: Occupy Enbridge

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jul 21 00:00:07 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Pass this onto a friend! -a

---------------------------------------

People are Occupying the Enbridge Line 9 Site
Come stand with individuals from Six Nations & their allies who have shut down work on Enbridge’s line 9 near Cambridge. Folks will host an action camp on site using this direct action as an opportunity to do teach-ins and skill shares centred around indigenous nationhood and direct action. Line 9 is an avenue to expand the tarsands which threaten the water & land it must be stopped. Come sleep with us under the stars & learn some skills! Shuttles: text 647-636-3838.
https://www.facebook.com/RisingTideToronto
Follow #shutitdown & #noline9 for updates!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Cycle’s latest newsletter
http://cycleto.ca/sites/default/files/July_2014.html
Love this 3 min. video of motor vehicles in T.O. bike lanes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx-WhGcNK6Y

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peoples Social Forum
Aug. 21 – 24, Ottawa. Buses going from Toronto. Register now.
A grassroots, historical gathering of progressives from Québec, Canada and First Nations.
www.peoplessocialforum.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Add your name to the Great Lakes Commons Charter
Out of love for these waters and our responsibilities to future generations, we are committed to bring forward the foundation for a renewed relationship and mode of governance for the Great Lakes Commons.
http://www.greatlakescommons.org/invite/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chomsky: The System We Have Now Is Radically Anti-Democratic
A fantastic, wide-ranging interview of Noam Chomsky by Chris Hedges. Watch the 3 part video or read the transcript.
http://bit.ly/1wOfvIR

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

To register your phone number on the National Do Not Call List
https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care About Canada's New Prostitution Laws?
Monday, July 21, 7 - 9 pm
Duke of York, 36 Prince Arthur (near Bloor and Avenue Rd.)
Discussion with Sonya JF Barnett, a board member of Maggie's Toronto Sex Workers' Action Project about the impacts of Bill C-36 on sex workers. Free.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/wsic-about-canadas-new-prostitution-laws-tickets-12072520233

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

#Yes All Women! Changing Laws & Unchanging Statistics: Rape And Rape Laws In India with Reflections from Canada
Tues. July 22, 7 p.m.
Centre for Women’s Studies in Education, OISE/UT
George Ignatieff Theatre, 5 Devonshire Place, U of T
In the wake of massive protests in India following the gruesome gang rape of a young woman in December 2012 the government of India made significant changes to anti-rape laws. In the context of these events and continuing violence and mobilization in India and Canada, Poonam Kathuria will open a transnational dialogue on the challenges of
feminist organizing  against violence against women and the real impact on women’s lives of the legal and policy changes achieved. 17th Annual Dame Nita Barrow Lecture.
oise.utoronto.ca/cwse

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Let's Grow Food: Abundant Harvest – Growing Vegetables Organically Workshop
Tues. July 22, 5:30-8:30 pm.
FoodShare, 90 Croatia
$75 (sliding scale avail).
Pre-register 416-363-6441 ext 247, angela at foodshare.net

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Footage From G20 Detention Centre
Wednesday July 23, 6-9 pm
Sanctuary, 25 Charles E.
Screening of footage from T.O.'s G20 detention facility by and for those who were incarcerated.
Discussion and evaluation of footage to follow. Pre-register 416-922-0628 ext 225, info at whatworldproductions.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Akelius Real Estate: Toronto's First Class Gentrifier?
Wed. July 23, 6 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John, rm 308
Public meeting about the "upscaling" of apartment buildings and jacking up rents, presented by Parkdale Community Legal Services.
416-531-2411 ext 248.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Silent Partners: Aboriginal Storytelling
Wed. July 23, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina
Maya-Waasige will speak about our relation to our Mother Earth. Free.
Pre-register 416-533-1635, info at weconserve.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urban Wood Utilization Tree Tour
Thur. July 24, 7 - 9 p.m.
Trinity Bellwoods Park, 155 Crawford (meet behind Rec Centre)
Learn how to reuse urban wood and about pests from local arborists and woodworkers. $5 sugg donation.
Pre-register yourleaf.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Citizen Koch
Toronto Premiere
Fri. July 25 – Thur. July 31
Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)
In this searing exposé on the state of democracy in America and the fracturing of the Republican Party, Academy Award-nominated directors Carl Deal and Tia Lessin (directors of Trouble the Water; co-producers of Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine) follow the money behind the rise of the Tea Party. Citizen Koch investigates the impact on the electoral process of the unlimited and anonymous spending by corporations and billionaires. Alternately terrifying and funny, this eye-opening film is an essential and powerful portrait of our political times.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=26646~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts. This week's show will feature Cycle Toronto and Toronto 350.
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrate birthdays of Hugo Chavez and Simon Bolivar
Friday, July 25, 6 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Marlham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Celebrate and honour the revolutionary legacy of two of the most influential leaders of Nuestramerica, who fought against colonialism and imperialism in order to achieve real independence with social justice, equal rights and opportunity for all. Support the Bolivarian Revolution and President Nicolas Maduro. Free.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/celebrate-birthdays-of-hugo-chavez-and-simon-bolivar/?mc_cid=7170d6e265&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Paddle the Rouge
Sat. July 26, all day
A collaborative event between MEC and CPAWS chapters across Canada. Register and find out more here:
http://action.cpaws.org/site/TR?fr_id=1080&pg=entry&s_locale=en_CA

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sundays In Kensington Market
Sun. July 27, noon - 7 p.m.
Kensington Market, Augusta and College
Celebrate summer with music, street theatre and more on streets closed to traffic. Free.
pskensington.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vintage Bicycle Show
Sunday July 27, 10 am - 5 pm
Trinity Bellwoods Park (Queen and Strachan)
This is a shine and show event so if you have a vintage classic that's been sitting in your garage or basement for the last little while, this is your chance to shine it up and show it off to the world! Free.
http://www.communitybicyclenetwork.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Old East York Tree Tour
Sun. July 27, 2-3:30 pm.
Northeast corner of Broadview and Torrens
Explore old oaks and Dutch elms and learn about work to augment the tree canopy in the area. $5 sugg donation.
Pre-register yourleaf.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Starting A Community Art Garden
Sun. July 27, 1 p.m.
Evergreen Brick Works 550 Bayview
Urban gardening workshop.
Pre-register 416-596-1495, evergreen.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stephen Lewis speaks with Grassy Narrows
Tues. July 29, 6:30 pm
Ted Rogers School of Management (TRS1-067), 55 Dundas East. Ryerson University
Public Forum with: Grassy Narrows Chief Roger Fobister and Judy Da Silva - Grassy Narrows Clan Mother Leanne Betasamosake Simpson - Writer, educator and activist Stephen Lewis
Tickets https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/public-forum-stephen-lewis-speaks-with-grassy-narrows-tickets-12256095311
www.facebook.com/groups/RiverRunToronto/
http://freegrassy.net/2014/05/25/river-run-2014-water-is-sacred/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A marketing workshop for hippies?
If you're a holistic practitioner, life coach or permaculture type check out Tad Hargrave's Marketing for Hippies 101 workshops at the end of August. It's a day long, pay-what-you-want (at the very end) workshop). It's focused on how to get more of the kinds of clients you're looking for in a way that feels good to all involved. He's doing one on August 26th and another on August 28th (same workshop, done twice) and it runs from 10am - 5pm. For more info and to get tickets:
http://marketingforhippies.com/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in