T.O. Greenspiration Events: Celebrate Salads

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 27 23:55:38 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Hi friends. I'm going on a cycling holiday - yay! - so this is 2 weeks worth of local events and news. Mark your calendars...
Happy summer... -a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

It's Salad Season!
The Farmers Markets are exploding with local, lush, flavourful, healthy, mostly organic fruits and veggies.
Find out the nearest market to you: http://tfmn.ca/?page_id=76

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Energy East Resistance Ride
3 min. video – bikes vs. the tarsands – very inspiring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmf3ul29NC0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Walk Toronto
Lots of great info in this Toronto pedestrian advocacy newsletter
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=deedcf2cb9c629abff9c7579f&id=ff8b80da8a&e=c3aae63a37

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peace Leadership Summer Camp for Young Women
August 16 and August 17
Toronto Island
The camp is for young women ages 15-35. This is not an overnight camp but billeting is available for women living outside the Toronto area.
Organized by VOW (Canadian Voice of Women for Peace)
http://vowpeace.org/application-form-for-peace-maker-camp/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peoples' Social Forum
August 21 – 24, University of Ottawa
The Peoples' Social Forum will open on August 21 with a traditional Algonquin ceremony at sunrise and a celebratory peoples' march in the afternoon. August 21 and 22 will see hundreds of participant-led workshops happen simultaneously at the University of Ottawa.  Saturday, August 23 will be a day of movement assemblies.  The last day there will be a final all-movements assembly and closing ceremony. The Peoples' Social Forum is also a joyous gathering with special exhibitions, work and peoples history tours, film screenings, critical mass rally, a pow-wow, street performances, concerts, games, and building new relationships. The Peoples Social Forum is a means of  stimulating debate, discussion and furthering our sense of community and collective action.
More info: www.peoplessocialforum.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

RxISK - Making Medicines Safer for Us All
Great newsletter critical of the drug industry
This issue focusses on PSSD - Post SSRI Sexual Disfunction
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/RxISK-Newsletter--July-2014-.html?soid=1111784861838&aid=BYsA6aeFhsA#fblike

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green 13 offers 2 bursaries to build knowledge and service to safeguard our tree canopy
Green 13 is very supportive of community efforts to safeguard our tree canopy. Our tree canopy has been seriously damaged by the ice storm of December 2013, and by ongoing pests such as the Emerald Ash Borer, Asian Longhorn beetle, and the gypsy moth. In an effort to rebuild and enhance our canopy, Green 13 offers bursaries intended to support building knowledge and capacity. We ask that each recipient of a bursary commit to 15 hours of volunteering on a project to safeguard our urban forest here in our Ward. Two bursaries for students in our ward (high school or graduate; must be 18 years of age +) to take LEAF’s  (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests) Tree Tenders course. http://www.yourleaf.org/tree-tenders-volunteer-training    N.B. We have recently learned that LEAF restricts the course to those 18 years of age +
http://www.yourleaf.org/tree-tenders-volunteer-training or (416) 766 6331

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Interested in living communally and consciously and is looking for a place to share or move in with others?
If you are also looking for a place or have a place to share, please contact Maria Goretti. She is looking for people who are:
- willing to love their whole being
- living eco friendly
- willing to cook mostly vegan
- making their home healthy (especially chemical free)
You can reach her at gocotovio at yahoo.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Roof Gathering
Mon. July 28, 5:30-8 pm.
Carrot Common, 2nd fl, 348 Danforth
Film screening, barbecue and a chance to network with professionals in the green roof and wall industry. $35.
Pre-register greenroofs.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stephen Lewis speaks with Grassy Narrows
Tues. July 29, 6:30 pm
Ted Rogers School of Management (TRS1-067), 55 Dundas East. Ryerson University
Public Forum featuring:
- Grassy Narrows Chief Roger Fobister and
- Judy Da Silva - Grassy Narrows Clan Mother Leanne Betasamosake Simpson - Writer, educator and
- activist Stephen Lewis
In 1970 Grassy Narrows people learned that their daily meal of fish was contaminated with mercury poison. Ontario had allowed a paper mill upstream to dump 9,000 kg of mercury into Grassy Narrows' River. Three generations of Grassy Narrows families are still dealing with the impacts of mercury on their health, culture, and livelihood. Now, Ontario has finalized plans for another decade of clearcut logging on Grassy Narrows Territory - a practice that is known to release dangerous amounts of mercury into lakes and rivers.  This callous plan will deepen the tragedy of mercury poisoning in Grassy Narrows.  Grassy Narrows has said 'no' to clearcut logging and has called for our help to make sure that this dangerous logging plan is never carried out.
Tickets https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/public-forum-stephen-lewis-speaks-with-grassy-narrows-tickets-12256095311
www.facebook.com/groups/RiverRunToronto/
http://freegrassy.net/2014/05/25/river-run-2014-water-is-sacred/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

East End Against Line 9 Planning Meeting
Wednesday, July 30, 6:45-8:45.
Community Centre 55, 97 Main Street.
The meeting will consider the vision and scope of our committee.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Moth Night - Family Nature Walk
Wed. July 30, 8:15-10 pm.
High Park Nature Centre, 440 Parkside
Discover butterflies of the night with exploration of moth habitat including spreading moth broth on tree trunks. Bring flashlight and insect collection containers.  $2-$5 or donate what you can.
highparknaturecentre.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

River Run 2014 Rally & March
Thur. July 31, noon
Walk starts at Grange Park, Toronto
In 1970 Grassy Narrows people learned that their daily meal of fish was contaminated with mercury poison. Ontario had allowed a paper mill upstream to dump 9,000 kg of mercury into Grassy Narrows' River. Three generations of Grassy Narrows families are still dealing with the impacts of mercury on their health, culture, and livelihood. Now, Ontario has finalized plans for another decade of clearcut logging on Grassy Narrows Territory - a practice that is known to release dangerous amounts of mercury into lakes and rivers.  This callous plan will deepen the tragedy of mercury poisoning in Grassy Narrows.  Grassy Narrows has said 'no' to clearcut logging and has called for our help to make sure that this dangerous logging plan is never carried out. Please join the Grassy Narrows Women's Drum group as they demand clean water and respect for their Indigenous rights.
http://freegrassy.net/2012/03/26/take-action-with-grassy-narrows-asubpeeschoseewagong-anishinabek/
FreeGrassy.net #FreeGrassy #RiverRun
www.facebook.com/groups/RiverRunToronto
www.facebook.com/events/740594235961702
Take Action: http://freegrassy.net/mercury-action-alert/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ward's Island Fire Parade
Friday August 1, Commemorative slideshow at the WIA, 8pm. Gather for the parade at 8.30 pm.
Come and celebrate. Shadowland is 30 years old!  All welcome!
Ferry Schedule to Ward’s Island: http://goo.gl/6gXDcP
https://www.facebook.com/events/690133631040226/?notif_t=plan_user_invited
shadowlandtheatre.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Really Really Free Market
Sat. Aug. 2, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Campbell Park, Lansdowne & Wallace
Community space for sharing clothes, toys, music, furniture, artisan goods, services and more. Bring items before 3 pm. Free.
rrfmarket.blogspot.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Clay and Paper Theatre presents:
Animal Nature
Aug. 2 - 17 (Wed. - Sun.), 7:30 p.m.
Dufferin Grove Park (Dufferin S. of Bloor)
Pay-What-You-Can, $10 suggested.
Clay & Paper Theatre’s 2014 summer show is an epic papier-mâché tale of the search for the way home. ANIMAL NATURE is filled with a decidedly Canadian mélange of creature characters and giant puppets on a fateful journey to the very edges of the earth itself. Owl, Caribou, Possum, Grizzly, Orca and Humanimal have been displaced from their homes and must address the deceptively simple question “How did we get pushed here?” Provocative puppetry at its best, ANIMAL NATURE is brimming with original design, music, dance, and signature Clay & Paper Theatre satire and wit gone awry. With its cast of puppet tricksters and merrymakers, Animal Nature rallies audiences to embrace their inner animals, to revel in the beauty of the earth and to find the way home together.
https://www.facebook.com/events/736955183027994/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The ongoing fight to create safer spaces for street involved women in Toronto: Support needed
Wednesday, August 6
For almost a year, OCAP has been fighting for safe space – shelter/24hour/after hour drop-ins for street-involved women in Toronto. This issue came to the forefront after the assault of a woman who was sleeping outside at the corner of Dundas and Sherbourne in September 2013 – she was sexually assaulted twice in one night by two different men. That same night, as is the case on many nights, the emergency shelter system was packed, and few options remain for women on the streets to find a safer place to rest, check-in, or get supplies and support. That lack of space has put the lives and safety of low income, homeless women and street-based sex workers at risk.
After unrelenting activism, speaking out, rallies and marches – City Council voted on June 10th to adopt the recommendation to move forward with establishing 24hour drop-in spaces for women in Toronto. A Request for Expression of Interest has gone out to service providers to see who could run such a program(s) in Toronto. This will then go to Budget Committee on Wednesday, August 6th – this is where we need your support. We need to tell Budget Committee to invest in services for women and to support funding for the 24 hour drop-ins for women in Toronto.
1) Contact members of the Budget Committee: Write a letter, call their office – tell them you support 24 hour drop-ins and safe space for women and that you want to see funding for this passed on August 6th. See who’s on the Budget Committee here.
2) Speak out: You can sign-up to speak to the issue on August 6th by doing a deputation. Sign up as an individual or a representative from your organization. You can sign-up to speak by contacting the clerk, Jennifer Forkes: email: buc at toronto.ca, phone: 416-392-4666
3) Come out on August 6th: Come fill Budget Committee on August 6th – wear your ‘Stop Violence Against Women’ t-shirt if you have one (we will have some available on the day as well)
4) Spread the word: Please pass on the message to show support for 24hour drop-ins for women.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hiroshima Nagasaki Commemoration
Wed. Aug. 6, 6:45 p.m.
Nathan Phillips Square (Queen and Bay)
Join us for Toronto’s commemoration of the 69th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. 69 years since the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, over 17, 000 nuclear weapons remain. Join us for speakers, performances, and lantern ceremony. Performances by the Yakudo Drummers, Toronto Gospel Church Choir, the Raging Grannies and others plus talks by Cesar Jaramillo of Project Ploughshares and Setsuko Thurlow, peace activist and survivor. Poster display runs from August 4 - 10 in Toronto City Hall Rotunda. Free and open to the public.
www.hiroshimadaycoalition.ca or e-mail hiroshimaday at yahoo.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Downtown-East Community Forum – TAVIS in the Neighbourhood
Thursday August 7, 6 pm community meal, 6:30 - 7:30 Forum, 7:30 Social/tea/coffee and desserts
40 Oak St - C.R.C. (This space is accessible and has accessible washrooms)
Toronto's Downtown East Community is currently being targeted by TAVIS (Toronto Anti-Violence Intervention Strategy) from June 18 -September 8. While governments pay to send additional police into the neighbourhood – they refuse to provide the resources for the things that are actually needed. The people most directly affected by this attack include, people of colour, families and youth, people who use drugs, poor people, sex workers, and homeless people. We need to come together in solidarity to challenge and defeat this attack. We need to make demands and organize for what our communities really need. We will not be priced, policed or pushed out of our neighbourhoods. We demand the $5-7.5 million dollars they are paying for cops to harass our community be invested in the things that will actually make this community safe. Stopping, ticketing, carding, arresting people will not fix the social and economic issues facing our communities
For more information contact: 416-551-7673 or stoptavis at gmail.com
http://ocap.ca/node/1183

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sunnyside Beach Cleanup
Thur. August 7, 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Sunnyside Beach, 1755 Lake Shore Blvd. W, Toronto, ON
Register online! blueflag.ca/savethebeach
We will provide: gloves and garbage bags. Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes and bring sunscreen and a water bottle.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Bicycle Opera Project
A touring company that gets around on two wheels, bringing Canadian contemporary opera to communities across Ontario by bicycle.
Thur. Aug. 7 and Fri. Aug. 8, 5 p.m.
Heliconian Hall (near Bloor and Avenue Rd.)
Admission: PWYC
Sat. Aug. 9, 2 p.m.
St Andrews by the Lake Church, Toronto Island
Admission: $20
Tickets available online here https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-bicycle-opera-project-toronto-island-tickets-11969104915
Sun. Aug. 10, 2 p.m.
Evergreen Brickworks
Admission: Pay-what-you-can
Reserve your seat by donation here https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-bicycle-opera-project-toronto-evergreen-brickworks-tickets-11991046543
http://bicycleopera.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Environmental Fair
Fri. Aug. 8, noon - 4 p.m.
Grange Park (behind AGO, near St. George and Dundas)
There will be magicians, a farmers market, games, performances and so much more!!! Meet Pollutia. All suited for kids and families...
https://www.facebook.com/events/258802774313572/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TPFF Outdoor Screening: Laila's Birthday
Friday August 8  (approximate start time 8:30pm but join us earlier for some fun in the park)
under the stars in Christie Pits Park  (Bloor and Christie)
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/TPFF-Outdoor-Screening--And-the-Winner-is---.html?soid=1102956897165&aid=_siLk-CU4Zg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Repair Cafe
Sat. Aug. 9, 10 am-2 pm.
Toronto Reference Library 789 Yonge (at Bloor)
Get broken household items, clothing, furniture and computers repaired and learn how to do it yourself. Free.
repaircafetoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nature & Feminine Wellness Workshop
Sun. Aug. 10, 1 - 4 p.m.
Rouge Valley Nature Reserve
Women gather to supoort each other and learn techniques to create balance in life and experience nature as a form of self-nourishment. $25.
Pre-register 905-626-1773, poramor.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Zero Waste Conference
Orillia, Ontario
Sunday August 10th 5 PM to 9 PM
Monday August 11th 8 AM to 5 PM
http://zerowasteconference.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green 13 presents:
Quietly Into Disaster - Free film screening and discussion
with guest speaker Angela Bischoff
Tuesday, August 12, 7 p.m.
2nd Floor - Council Chamber, Swansea Town Hall, xxx
Angela Bischoff is a long time environmental organizer and Outreach Director for the Ontario Clean Air Alliance. OCAA’s goal is to move ON to a 100% renewable electricity system.
Quietly Into Disaster: This documentary deals with facts and topics concerning nuclear power: damages done to health and environment, nuclear waste and politics, renewable energies, reactor safety, the serious implications of a nuclear accident and public resistance. quietly-into-disaster.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/1441763636095449/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in