T.O. Greenspiration Events: Peoples' Social Forum

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 17 20:47:14 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." - Albert Einstein

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Campaign Fairness
From now until the October 27th municipal election we are encouraging everyone to ask their candidates: Will you promise to accept donations for your 2014 municipal election campaign from individuals only, and refuse donations from corporations and unions?
Voters – Find out who accepts corporate donations
Candidates – take the pledge
Factsheet for Voters
Factsheet for Candidates
http://www.campaignfairness.com/what-are-we-doing/
http://www.campaignfairness.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Elizabeth May pitches electoral co-operation for next election
Green Party leader says neither the NDP nor the Liberals have replied to her offer
http://electoralalliance.ca/elizabeth-may-pitches-electoral-co-operation-next-election

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Declaration of Voters’ Rights – Fair Vote Canada
The 2015 federal election is just around the corner, and Fair Vote Canada has set an ambitious goal - to reach 100,000 signers on ourDeclaration of Voters’ Rights! The Declaration of Voters’ Rights is our petition for proportional representation.
https://secure.fairvote.ca/en/declaration

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Albert Koehl, exceptional bicycle advocate and environmental lawyer, is running for City Council in Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina. There are several other great candidates running on pro-bike/transit platforms in this riding and across the city. Please donate to these campaigns and volunteer your time – we need a new green City Council.
http://www.votealbertkoehl.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Require Legal Aid Ontario and GTA Legal Clinic Transformation Project
Petition to the The Attorney General of Ontario to draft a new vision of legal services through genuine consultation with low-income communities, legal clinic clients and staff.
http://chn.ge/1oHu6XG

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Looking for housing in T.O.
Bachelor or 1 bedroom, prepared to share if healthy home. Asap.
Maria 416 763 9959

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Invest in SolarShare Bonds
This 10 min. video will take you through the ins and outs of investing in SolarShare bonds. Earn 5% while making a positive social and environmental impact. Learn more atwww.solarbonds.ca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pok6IFLg4B0&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Emergency Protest: Speak Out Against Racial Profiling and Anti-Immigrant Raids
Monday, August 18, noon
25 Grosvenor Avenue (Yonge and Carlton), Ontario Ministry of Community Safety & Correctional Services (Responsible for OPP)
Under the guise of a "routine traffic stop," Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and Ministry of Transportation officials racially profiled, forcefully IDd, arrested and detained at least 21 immigrants and handed them over to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) last week. In detention, many were forced to sign documents waiving their rights that weren't adequately translated. Now our friends, and family members face indefinite detention, deportation and separation from their families simply for trying to put food on the table.
Join us to demand that Kathleen Wynne stop doing Harper's dirty work. No racial profiling! No anti-immigrant raids!
We are not letting Harper off the hook either. These raids are meant to create fear in undocumented communities and force them in to more precarious and vulnerable jobs. Join us in Jane-Finch on Tuesday, August 19th at 5pm to defend our communities and fight back against fear.
http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/knowyourrights
For more information, please read and sign this petition: http://chn.ge/1lbFvON

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care: Municipal Policies for At-Risk Youth
Mon. Aug. 18, 7 p.m.
Duke of York 39 Prince Arthur (near Bay and bloor)
Discussion on how to best support marginalized youth with Andray Domise, Maura Lawless and Steven Ambrose. Free.
wsicaug2014.eventbrite.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Narrative
Live music and spoken word benefit for the People's Social Forum
Tues. Aug. 19, 6:30 p.m. onward
York U Students Centre (GSA). PWYC
Mahlikah Awe:ri , Walking Woman, is a First Nations (Haudenosaunee Kanien’kéha and Mi’kmaw) drumtalk-poetic-rapologist and founding member of Red Slam Collective Indigenous Hip Hop Movement. She'll be performing on Tuesday at The Narrative: an intimate live music and spoken word event that explores the intricate stories and identities of racialized bodies. Through sharing our experiences on stage, we aim to push boundaries and disrupt oppressive spaces which serve to silence us and dismiss who we are.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Digital Access to Opportunities Action
Thur. Aug 21st, 11am
Bell Trinity Square, 483 Bay St.
Soon it's Back to School and low income kids can’t afford high-speed internet that is needed to do their homework. ACORN members are fighting for affordable access! Harper's plan to invest millions to expand internet access fails many low income urban families who can’t afford to get online. Nearly half of Canada's lowest income earners don't have broadband access, compared with 18% for Canadians as a whole. There's no reason to leave low-income families on the wrong side of the digital divide say ACORN members! ACORN Canada members are calling on the federal government and the CRTC to ensure home broadband prices are affordable for low income families. Specifically, households below the low-income measure should be able to access high-speed internet for $10/month along with measures to ensure families can afford computers at a reasonable price.
www.acorncanada.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Peoples' Social Forum
August 21-24 in Ottawa
It will be the first pan-Canadian/Quebec/Indigenous convergence of movements and communities-in-struggle to draw people from across the northern half of Turtle Island. With more than 500 workshops and thousands of participants this is a not-to-be-missed event.
See the program here. http://goto.rabble.ca/t?r=1530&c=936154&l=36229&ctl=170909C:D091DF809B4264D1764C66E97C504CC060A0614370F1CFFE&
Book your free bus here: http://ontario.psac.com/gta/toronto-course-registration-form-2014-0
Register here – it’s only $25: http://www.peoplessocialforum.org/register
Can't make it to Ottawa? Tune in to rabbletv to watch the Opening Ceremony, Naomi Klein's address, the rally on Parliament Hill ... and more LIVE. http://rabble.ca/rabbletv
www.peoplessocialforum.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Clothing Swap
Sat. Aug. 23, 12:30-4:30 pm.
Harbourfront Community Centre, 627 Queens Quay W
Bring your laundered, gently used women's clothes, belts, hats and bags and swap for new finds (max 30 items). $5.
facebook.com/events/1538074799744722

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Edible Tree Tour
Sat. Aug. 23, 10 am - noon
Artscape Wychwood Barns, meet at SW corner of Wychwood & Benson
Learn about a fruit-picking program and fruit tree workshops and uncover delicious treats hidden in plain view. Pwyc.
Pre-register: yourleaf.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Coconut Festival Marketplace
Sunday, August 24, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Artscape Wychwood Barns (on Christie south of St. Clair)
The Coconut Festival aims to bring the community together to learn about the many health and cosmetic benefits of coconuts as well as its diverse culinary uses with the milk, water, flakes and meat as told and demonstrated by featuring naturopathic doctors, chefs, farmers, authors and local businesses & products. 70 vendors, including 24 food booths, 6 chefs, and specialty vendors will be present. $5 ticket proceeds are going towards coconut farmers in the Philippines to help them attain sustainable livelihood.
www.coconutfestival.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2 marketing workshops for hippies - helping conscious, green and local businesses to grow
- Tues. August 26, 10am- 5pm
$25 deposit + PWYC at the end
For more info and to get tickets: http://torontomarketingforhippiesaugust.eventbrite.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/253820798152827/
- Wed. August 28, 10am- 5pm
$25 deposit + PWYC at the end
For more info and to get tickets: http://marketingforhippiestoronto2.eventbrite.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/729522477093722/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bikestock
Sunday, September 14, Ride from around the city and converge at City Hall (Queen and Bay) for a 2 p.m. rally
1 p.m. High Park
12:15 from Yonge and Hendon
1 p.m. from Danforth and East Lynn Park (near Woodbine)
Or plan your own ride
We’re going to stage the biggest ride for cycling safety in Toronto’s history. Cyclists will ride — noisily ringing their bells — from every corner of the city to City Hall where we’ll meet and celebrate the sheer fun of cycling. There will be live music, speakers, and a chance to dream about a Toronto that takes its cyclists’ safety seriously. It’s going to be the cycling event of the year and the candidates in the 2014 Toronto city election will have to take notice.
http://cycleandsole.com/?p=165
https://www.facebook.com/bikestockto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in