T.O. Greenspiration Events: March for the climate

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Sep 16 02:29:58 EDT 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend! -angela

---------------------------------------

Bike Lanes for Toronto Now! #MinimumGrid
Please sign the Avaaz petition to T.O.'s mayoral candidates calling for a Minimum Grid of 100 km of protected bike lanes and 100 km of bicycle boulevards by 2018 to get Torontonians moving by bicycle.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Toronto_Mayoral_Candidates_Support_Minimum_Grid_100km_protected_lanes_100_km_bike_blvds_by_2016/?stfNkeb

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Visit www.toronto.ca/elections/myvote and input your address to:
-       View the list of candidates running in your ward
-       Check if you're on the voters' list (available September 2)
-       Find where and when to vote during advance vote and election day (available September 2)
-       Review the accessibility information of your voting place (available September 2)
-       View a map of your ward
-       View a sample ballot (available October 1)
To update your information, eligible electors can download and complete a Voters' List Amendment Application. You may also add your name to the voters' list at the voting place when you go to vote. You will be asked for identification showing your name and qualifying Toronto address.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Grassy Narrows: Why is Japan still studying the mercury poisoning when Canada isn't?
Canadian officials have never admitted to a single case of Minamata disease in northwestern Ontario
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/grassy-narrows-why-is-japan-still-studying-the-mercury-poisoning-when-canada-isn-t-1.2752360

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Idiot Cycle, a 2009 French-Canadian documentary, alleges six major chemical companies are responsible for decades of cancer causing chemicals and pollution, and also develop cancer treatments and drugs. It also argues these companies own the most patents on genetically modified crops that have never been tested for long term health impacts like cancer. Watch it here:
http://nemesistv.info/video/UNMKWNW5U3A1/le-cycle-idiot-du-cancer-vostfr#

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Possible Risks of SSRI Anti-depressants to Newborns - NYTimes
Preterm births are not the only risks linked to these antidepressants. Babies exposed to S.S.R.I.s prenatally are more likely to be born with congenital heart defects, other rare birth defects, clubfoot and a serious lung condition called persistent pulmonary hypertension. Like babies born to drug addicts, newborns may display S.S.R.I. withdrawal symptoms.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/possible-risks-of-s-s-r-i-antidepressants-to-newborns/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do you need help with your non profit, small artisan venture or green business when it comes to setting up and maintaining social media, a website or other marketing content? I charge very reasonably and am looking for new clients. Contact Anna at thenewnarrativecompany at gmail.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Waterfront Mayoral Debate
Tues. Sept. 16, seating at 6:30 p.m.
Harbourfront Community Centre, 627 Queens Quay West
Your chance to influence the mayoral candidates and media on Island Airport Expansion with No Jets T.O.
https://www.facebook.com/events/832108263489563/
http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e81559f1635fc440b69d69887&id=a7a152808f&e=1b5a7802ac

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How Would a Change of Voting System Improve Our Democracy?
Tuesday, September 16, 7 - 9 p.m
18 Wynford Drive, Suite 103 (1 block east of Don Mills Road)
Find out how proportional representation (PR) voting systems used in many other countries differ from Canada's present "First Past the Post" (FPTP) method.  Learn why PR works better for the 99%. What can concerned citizens do to make voting in Canada more fair, more representative and more responsive to the people's needs? Hosted by Fair Vote Toronto East Action Team and Don Heights Unitarian Congregation

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Can We Do Conflict Better?
Tues. Sept. 16, 7-8:30 pm.
Central Eglinton Community Centre, 160 Eglinton E
Mediation workshop to learn strategies and communication skills to restore relationships. Free.
Pre-register 416-392-0511 ext 225, centraleglinton.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urban Bat Walk
Tues. Sept. 16, 8 - 10 p.m.
High Park, meet at Grenadier Cafe
Learn about bats in Toronto including which species are at risk in this hike for adults and youth ages 8 and up. $2-$5/pwyc.
416-392-1748, highparknaturecentre.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Drinks - End of year Sustainability Bash and Meet the Mayoralty Candidates
Wed. Sept. 17, 6 p.m. onward. We have invited the Mayoralty Candidates to attend at 8:30
Grace O'Malleys, 14 Duncan Street (near King and University)
Everyone Welcome - No Admission Charge
We have a lively mixture of people from NGOs, academia, students, government and business . Come along and you'll be made welcome. Just say, "are you green?" and we will look after you and introduce you to whoever is there. It's a great way of catching up with people you know and also for making new contacts. Everyone invites someone else along, so there’s always... a different crowd, making Green Drinks an organic, self-organising network. These events are very simple and unstructured, but many people have found employment, made friends, developed new ideas, done deals and had moments of serendipity. This event will be a combined event with: OSEA - Energy Drinks, Net Impact - U of T, Net Impact - York University

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Inspire and Inform
Wed. Sept. 17, 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., E-Team screening at 2 pm
Hotdocs Cinema, 506 Bloor (at Bathurst)
$50 (includes a box lunch)
Learn about the work of Human Rights Watch. Hear from our on-the-ground researchers and stay for an optional screening of the documentary, the E-Team.
For more information: HRW Canada office at 416.322.8448 or canada at hrw.org - http://www.hrw.org/toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Divide in Concord
Thursday September 18, 6:30 pm
Bloor Cinema, 506 Bloor (at Bathurst)
Divide in Concord is a feature-length documentary that follows the entertaining tale of banning bottled water in small town America.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=28527~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Poor No More
Thur. Sept. 18, 8 - 10 p.m.
Phin Avenue Parkette, 115 Condor (near Donlands station)
Screening followed by a panel discussion with OHC's Natalie Mehra and Linda McQuaig. A Movie Night In The Park with Ontario Health Coalition
Free, donations appreciated.
onatriohealthcoalition.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Exotic Apple Tasting And Book Launch
Thur. Sept. 18, 7 - 9 p.m.
Cho-cosol, 1131 St Clair W.
Taste apple varieties and learn about easy-to-grow trees.  $5 donation.
slowfood.to.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Natural Hair Care I: Make Custom Shampoos and Conditioners
Friday, September 19, 7 - 9 pm
Anarres Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road (at Bloor)
This hands-on workshop will have you discovering the secrets of natural hair care using real soaps, enriching ingredients and essential oils for scalp health and radiant hair, plus some surprising DIY solutions to common hair "problems". You'll learn how to identify your hair's needs, and choose the ingredients that will work best for you. You'll make custom shampoo and conditioner, and come away with two products you've made for yourself, or as a gift, and skills that can serve you for a lifetime.
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/content/intro-natural-hair-care

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unfluoridate Me - End Fluoride Toronto
Sat. Sept. 20, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)
A peaceful assembly and march to end artificial water fluoridation in the city of Toronto.
www.EndFluorideToronto.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/206144699538716/
Sign the petition to end water fluoridation in Toronto:  http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/toronto-city-council-stop-fluoridating-toronto-s-tap-water

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Back the Night
Sat. Sept. 20, 4:30 – 11 p.m. (6:30 rally, 8:30 march)
The 519 Church Street Community Centre (Church and Wellesley)
The Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape is a non-profit, grass roots feminist organization committed to eradicating violence against women and children. Take Back the Night is an evening event and protest. It includes a community fair, rally with community-based performers, speakers and a march. It also includes a community dinner, childcare and media presence.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Go Global Expo
Sat. and Sun. Sept. 20 - 21, 11 - 5 p.m.
Mattamy Athletic Centre, 50 Carlton
Info on opportunities to study, work, volunteer or live overseas. Free.
letsgoglobal.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

People's Climate March - Toronto
Sun. Sept. 21, 1 p.m.
Nathan Phillips Square, T.O. City Hall, Queen and Bay
March for climate justice in solidarity with the People's Climate March happening in New York City.
https://www.facebook.com/torontoclimatemarch
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/event/climate/Peoples_Climate_March_Toronto?source=blast&cl=5790637793&v=44558

People's Climate Forum - Toronto
Sunday, September 21, 9 a.m. onward
Ted Rogers School of Management, 55 Dundas St W (Room TRS1-147), Ryerson. Free.
http://act.350.org/event/peoples_climate/8509?source=avaaz?source=blast&cl=5790637793&v=44558

Pax Christi Peace Walk
Sunday, September 21, noon - 2 p.m.
Garden outside the Paulist Ministry Centre, 830 Bathurst St.
Toronto, Ontario, M5R3G1, Canada
Seeking non-violent responses to climate change, war and poverty.
http://act.350.org/event/peoples_climate/9069?source=avaaz?source=blast&cl=5790637793&v=44558

- If you're going to NYC, join the Nuclear Free, Carbon Free contingent http://www.nirs.org/climatemarch/climatemarchhome.htm

- Fantastic new 52 min. film called Climate Disruption. Well worth the time.
http://watchdisruption.com/

- People's Climate March and Rallies - New York City Sept. 20 and 21- promises to be the largest climate rally in history
Find out more here: http://350.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Interfaith Symposium & Concert
Dedicated to International Peace Day
Sun. Sept. 21, 2 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Metroplitan United Church, 56 Queen St E (at Church)
EmbracePeace.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycling to Asylum – book launch and discussion about urban cycling
With author Su J. Sokol, Social Rights Advocate and Writer of Interstitial Fiction
Tues. Sept. 23, 8 pm
HandleBar, 159 Augusta Avenue
Cycling to Asylum takes place in a New York City of the near future… a New York City that is hostile and authoritarian.
www.sujsokol.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mayoral Debate on the Environment
Thur. Sept. 25, doors 6:30, debate 7 p.m. - 9:30 pm
Trinity St. Paul's United Church, 427 Bloor St W (near Spadina)
Toronto’s next Mayor has a big job ahead of them: investing in our environment to make sure Toronto’s future is green, not mean. The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) is hosting a mayoral debate on the environment. Free, but you need to RSVP.
http://toenviro.nationbuilder.com/tea_mayoral_debate_2014?utm_campaign=cw_aug_26_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Opting Out - Sharing as a Political Act
Thur. Sept. 25, 6pm to 8pm (with conversation and drinks until 11pm)
720 Bathurst St. (one block south of the station) Main floor "Garage" Room
A town hall style event to discuss the possibilities for putting power back in the hands of communities, by asking what happens when sharing models like libraries and zip car scale up and become the norm? Short introductions by an expert panel, followed by extended Q&A with the audience. Free.
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/opting-out-sharing-as-a-political-act-tickets-12924574751

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
CIUT 89.5FM
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

YIMBY (Yes, in My Back Yard)
Sat. Sept. 27, 11 - 4 p.m.
U of T, 371 Bloor W. (near Spadina station)
Join us at YIMBY (Yes In My Back Yard) Festival: a celebration of community-based ideas and action in Toronto. The festival is free and open to all, providing a social space for people and groups involved in locally-driven community development to gather, exchange ideas and strategies to affect change, and imagine the future of our city.
http://www.yimbytoronto.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

High Park - Fall Clean Up - Off-Leash Area
Saturday, Sept 27, 11 am - 3 pm
Dog Hill, Steve and Bernard will meet you at the hill to provide latex gloves and garbage bags. If you use the park and are physically capable to pitch in for a couple of hours, as per the mandate to have two clean up per year, spring and fall. Bring water, light snack, wear long sleeves & good shoes, and pitch in keep our parks clean.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For The Right To Exist, Resist & Overcome
$hile: 130+ Years of Military Occupation in Mapuche Territory. In Memory of the Fallen in the Permanent Uprising…
Sat. Sept. 27
@ 6 p..m.: The Exclusive Film Screening of Newen Mapuche, The Strength of the People of the Land. A documentary Film by Elena Varela [with English Subtitles]
@ 8 p.m.: speaking event
OISE Rm 2212 – 252 Bloor Street W.
Organized by: The Women’s Coordinating Committee for a Free Wallmapu [Toronto]
http://wccctoronto.wordpress.com
http://risingtidetoronto.noblogs.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Palestinian Film Festival
Sept. 27 – Oct. 3
http://tpff.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Harper's Government's Attack on Sex Workers
Sunday September 28, 10:30 am
18 Wynford Drive, Suite 102
Speaker: Antonia Zerbisias. Prostitution is, and always has been, legal in Canada. When three Ontario sex workers launched a challenge against three sections of Canada’s Criminal Code which they claimed made their legal trade unconstitutionally dangerous, they went all the way to the Supreme Court – which last December agreed with them. Retaliation from the Harper Government, in its ongoing effort to maintain its Christian Evangelical base out west, was swift.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1466484243608446
http://donheights.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Autumn Neighbourhood Fence Removal
Sun. Sept. 28, 2 - 4 p.m.
124 Woodfield Road (east end)
Join us! We're the Downtown De-fence Project. We open up neighbourhoods by removing chain link fences. No expertise required - just bring a pair of pliers!!  Fun guaranteed. http://defence.to/
https://www.facebook.com/events/310427945795897/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sundays In Kensington Market
Sun. Sept. 28, noon - 7 p.m.
Kensington Market, Augusta and College
Celebrate summer with music, street theatre and more on streets closed to traffic. Free.
pskensington.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More Than An Island: A Bicycle Tour Of Toronto Island
Sun. Sept. 28, 2 p.m.
Heritage Toronto tour. $25. Location provided on registration
Pre-register heritagetoronto.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join the ClimateFast in Ottawa
ClimateFast returns to Ottawa September 28 - October 2, 2014. To date, 117 MPs have signed the ClimateFast Pledge for Politicians. Please help us reach out to and engage those who have not yet signed. Please consider joining us in Ottawa. Learn more at climatefast.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in