T.O. Greenspiration Events: White Poppy for Peace

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 9 23:41:41 EST 2014

T.O. Greenspiration Events
- Pass this onto a friend. -a

---------------------------------------

Honored and humbled to win Best Activist in the NOW Reader's Poll for my anti-nuclear activism. Thanks for all your votes of confidence. – angela
http://bestof.nowtoronto.com/2014/winners.cfm?category=159

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Prozac may be harming bird populations, study suggests
Starlings who were fed same levels of antidepressant drug found in sewage earthworms suffered loss of libido and appetite
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/21/prozac-may-be-harming-bird-populations-study-suggests

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell the Wynne Government and Metrolinx our Union-Pearson train line must have lower fares, more stops, and be electrified now
http://chn.ge/1t6Yvuz

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CAMH calls for legalization of marijuana
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/camh-calls-for-legalization-of-marijuana-1.2793460

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Complete Project Neutral’s Household Carbon Footprint Survey by December 1 to be eligible to win a Power Pipe Drain Water Recovery System (valued at $600).
http://www.projectneutral.org/survey-contest-toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Risky Business - Dr Hayes Talks Toxics
Monday, November 10, Doors Open 6 pm, Speech begins 7 pm
Northrop Frye Building, Room 003, 73 Queen's Park Crescent East, Victoria College, U of T
UC Berkeley biology professor Dr. Tyrone Hayes will share his experience researching endocrine-disrupting chemicals and how they can affect the environment and human health. Learn about the challenges he faced when he tried to share his findings, and how this ties to contemporary debates surrounding the relationship between science and industry. Free, but registration recommended.
http://action.environmentaldefence.ca/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=1759

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Morning TAI CHI – with green guru Brian Milani
Mondays and Wednesday, 9 – 10 am. starting Nov. 3
Cecil St. Community Centre (near Spadina and College)
Looking to combine exercise and meditation?  Need to relax after a stressful election campaign? High quality instruction of the internal/mental dimension as well as the mechanics.  Beginners welcome to start any time.  Whether your interest is relaxation, meditation, fitness, health & healing, or even self-defense, Cecil Tai Chi can meet your needs. And unbeatable bargain rates:  FREE, with community centre membership ($6 or $10 per year, depending on where you live).
www.greeneconomics.net/Cecil_TaiChi.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care? Transit and Urban Planning
Mon. November 10, 7 - 9 pm
St Louis Bar and Grill, upstairs, 5307 Yonge Street (north of North York Centre subway station)
Everybody’s talking about transit. Our current system is overcrowded and ageing, and many commuters are frustrated. Congestion in North York is so bad it’s easy to question if anyone is thinking about transit planning and land-use planning in conjunction. There are many solutions being considered, but which one is the right one? And will any of them have a meaningful impact? With speakers Adam Giambrone and Richard Gilbert.
http://whyshouldicare.ca/event/why-should-i-care-transit-and-urban-planning-in-north-york/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sydney White, Investigative Journalist, Studies in Propaganda, Free U of T
Monday, Nov. 10, 5:30 - 7:30pm
5 Bancroft Ave., Room B142, U of T (Spadina subway to Willcocks walking east, turn right on Huron, turn right on Bancroft, 5 Bancroft on left)
Methods of censorship.  The law of Forfeiture in the U.S. and in Canada, "The Civil Remedies Act".
Promise and its part in Fukushima and 9/11.  The 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not know”.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rendevous With Madness Film Festival
Nov. 10 - 15
TIFF Bell Lighthouse (King and John)
http://www.rendezvouswithmadness.com/2014-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Secret Trial 5
Mon/Wed/Thur. Nov. 10, 12 & 13, 6:30 p.m.
Bloor-Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
Imagine spending years in prison without being charged with a crime or knowing exactly what you’re accused of. A film about the human impact of the “War on Terror,” this is a sobering examination of the Canadian government’s use of security certificates, a tool that allows for indefinite detention without charges, based on evidence not revealed to the accused or their lawyers. Over the last decade, this rare and highly controversial device has been used to detain five men for nearly 30 years combined. To date, none of them have been charged with a crime or have seen the evidence against them. Through the experience of the detainees and their families, the film raises poignant questions about the balance between security and liberty. Filmmakers and special guests will participate in Q&As following all screenings.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=32165~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Citizen Mark
Mon. - Thur. Nov. 10 - 13, 7 pm
Big Picture Cinema, 1035 Gerrard St. E.
A documentary about famed marijuana legalization activist, Marc Emery, the self-styled 'Prince of Pot'. In 2005 Emery was arrested by the U.S. DEA, charged with trafficking pot seeds over the Internet and convicted of international drug trafficking. A Canadian citizen, Emery was extradited to the U.S. to serve five years in federal prison. In Canada at that time, the penalty for selling marijuana seeds was a fine. But Emery's incarceration, this film suggests, does not constitute a simple miscarriage of justice. It rather fulfills Emery's complex, often narcissistic vision of himself as a fierce libertarian and quasi-biblical prophet whose destiny is to defeat government. Citizen Marc wittily questions what it means to be a citizen in a post-identity, post-equality North America.
https://guestlistapp.com/events/295788

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

White Poppy
The white poppy is a symbol of peace, worn as an alternative to, or complement to, the red remembrance poppy for Remembrance Day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_poppy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

National Climate Assessment and Canada in a Changing Climate
Tuesday, November 11, 6:30pm
Runnymede Public Library, 2178 Bloor St.W
On May 6, 2014, the U.S. released its 3rd National Climate Assessment, a report detailing the impacts of climate change on the U.S. and its national economy. Media covered this broadly in the U.S. and the President addressed the nation. The front page of the Toronto Star declared the “real and present danger”.  Join Green 13 to view and discuss the first hour of the 2-hour press conference which launched the report. Following this screening we will discuss the report quietly released in June 2014, and examine the role of this government. Free.
http://tcan.ca/event/national-climate-assessment-and-canada-changing-climate

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Economics
Tues. Nov. 11, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St. (near Spadina and College)
Looking at the Scandinavian economic model.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fossil Fuel Divestment - Discussion Panel
Tues. Nov. 11, 6 p.m.
Ramsay Wright Bldg, Rm 143
Fossil Free U of T hosts a panel discussion on fossil fuel divestment as part of Divestment Action Week at U of T. Come learn more about divestment from our esteemed panellists, question and answer period to follow.
https://www.facebook.com/events/308043979398271/?fref=ts

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fossil Free March
Wednesday, Nov. 12, 12:15-1:30 pm
Meet at St. George Street and College Street.
This will be the biggest rally for fossil fuel divestment in Toronto to date. Our march will go up St. George to Harbord, and down into King's Cross Circle to just outside the Presidents office.
See also Fossil Free UofT on Facebook.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Uranium mining, radiation and aboriginal communities
With Emily Simmonds, Ph.D. Candidate in Science and Technology, York University
Wed. Nov. 12, 4 – 6 p.m.
Room 140, University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
Ms. Simmonds will discuss the impact of radiation on the body and the way aboriginal communities are organizing politically to handle the problems arising from their work in uranium mining.
Hosted by Science for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Buy Out the Boss
How to Transform an Existing Business into a Successful and Sustainable Co-op
Wed. November 12, 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
CSI Annex, 720 Bathurst, 1st floor, The Garage. $10
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/could-shared-ownership-be-the-right-fit-for-you-tickets-13066489221

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anatomy of a Protest: The Art of Infiltration
Wednesday, November 12, 7 – 9 p.m.
Hart House, Debates Room, U of T
Wendy Coburn’s first major solo exhibition in Toronto centres on her recently completed video Slut Nation: Anatomy of a Protest, which revisits the world’s first Slutwalk protest. An interdisciplinary panel discussion featuring Wendy Coburn, Lisa Steele, Gary Kinsman, Lesley Wood, and other guests to be announced.
http://jmbgallery.ca/ExWendyCoburn.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Coffeehouse Speakers Series - Ebola
Wed. Nov. 12, 6 – 8 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation Annex, 720 Bathurst Street
Free - Please RSVP as space is limited
Ebola has become a household name with almost daily media coverage about the outbreak in West Africa, and cases in North America and Europe. Join us to dig behind the Ebola headlines to take a look at the ongoing outbreak, how weakened health care systems may be contributing, and what role health systems could play in preventing future outbreaks. Featuring guest speakers: Dr. David Fisman & Dr. Robert Fowler Dr. David Fisman
http://www.amrefcanada.org/get-involved/attend-events/amref-canada-coffeehouse-speakers-series-on-global-development-/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

And Evening with John Ralston Saul
Wed. Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m.
Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles St W (near Ave. Road and Bloor)
John Ralston Saul and his special guests: writers, thinkers and community representatives Lisa Charleyboy and Hayden King invite Toronto’s richly diverse community to an exciting evening of music and engaging public conversation. They will discuss the necessity of rebuilding relationships central to the creation of Canada. In John Ralston Saul’s impassioned new book, The Comeback, he calls on all of us to embrace and support the comeback of Aboriginal peoples. $10. All ticket proceeds to go to the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto.
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-evening-with-john-ralston-saul-featuring-lisa-charleyboy-hayden-king-christa-couture-and-tickets-14044063171

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue
Nov. 12, 14, 16, 7:30 p.m.
Aiki Studio Theatre, 250 Dundas Street W.
Gloria Miguel’s play premieres and opens Native Earth Performing Arts’s Weesageechak Begins to Dance Festival. The play – produced by Native Women in the Arts (NWIA) as a co-presentation with Native Earth Performing Arts (NEPA) – looks at Miguel’s life story from the point of view of being an 88-year-old Kuna/Rappahonock woman living in Brooklyn. Miguel’s humour abounds as she rediscovers influences that shaped her life as a senior. $20 tickets
www.nativeearth.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Bike Awards
Thur. November 13, 7 – 11 p.m.
918 Bathurst Culture and Arts Centre (north of Bloor)
The Toronto Bike Awards ceremony honours the people and organizations that show leadership in making our city a better place to bike.
http://cycleto.ca/event/2014/10/09/toronto-bike-awards-2014

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dr. Anne Russon on studying orangutans in the wild and the fight to save them
Thur. Nov. 13, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W. room 2281
http://animalrightsacademy.org/lecture-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Conversations Over Dinner – with the Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund
Thursday, November 13 from 6 – 9 pm
17 Phoebe Street (east of Spadina Ave., north of Queen St.)
At a time when capitalism is in crisis, and inequality and exploitation flourish, we are trying to take a practical approach to building a better future. We want to talk about capitalism, income, money and how we can harness our resources to help expand grassroots social justice movements that are independent and resourceful. Some of the questions we are hoping to collectively tackle are: What kind of money do we need to build powerful movements that offer new visions of our society? How do we personally navigate our relationship to capital and income? How much do people in Canada already give and where does it go? Are we giving as much or as intentionally as we could? How do we give money without falling prey to a charity model? How do we talk to friends and family about these issues in a way that is honest and challenging? What is there to learn from other models of social change? While this is a Groundswell event, our ultimate goal is to get more cash flowing for transformative social change in general regardless of whether it goes through us. Please RSVP by November 7th to info at groundswellfund.ca
http://groundswellfund.ca/event/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Genetically Engineered Food and Your Health
Thursday November 13, doors 6, event 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE Auditorium 252 Bloor Street West
Pay it Forward – suggested $5 at the door
Do you have questions or concerns regarding genetically engineered (GE) foods and your health? The 2014 Genetically Engineered Foods and Your Health Cross-Canada Speakers’ Tour seeks to provide the Canadian public with an opportunity to discuss their concerns around GE foods from a scientific perspective. MC - Adria Vasil, Ecoholic author and columnist. Speakers:Thierry Vrain a retired genetic engineer who after a 30-year career with AgricuIture Canada now speaks against GE technology, and Mr. Tony Mitra, an internationally active citizen journalist and food security activist, to discuss your concerns about GE foods, and how you can take action.
Sponsored by The Big Carrot, COG and the Toronto Non-GMO Coalition.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1484127141872932

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Festival of Dangerous Ideas -  Food for Thought
Exploring our relationship to our food system through a convergence of music, art and conversation – with Vandana Shiva and others
Sat. Nov. 15,
Daniels Spectrum, 585 Dundas East
Our day-long festival will examine some 'dangerous ideas' about industrial agriculture, genetically modified organisms and the unsustainable nature of our current food system. Throughout the day, speakers will present new ways of thinking that can support the transition towards earth democracy, a just food system, and a world beyond pesticides.
http://festivalofdangerousideas.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Harnessing the power of sound
Saturday, November 15, 1 - 4 p.m.
This workshop will explore the value of audio in movement-building through a conversation about the politics of sound, and hands-on exercises for recording, interviewing and editing audio on the move. We'll also discuss how to share your stories to reach and engage new listeners.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/harnessing-the-power-of-sound-tickets-13080547269

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycling in Fall and Winter
Sat. Nov. 15, 11 am-1 pm.
Lillian H Smith Library 239 College
Learn how to ride safely in the cold weather and how to maintain your bike. Free.
Pre-register 416-393-7746

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to win change at Toronto City Hall Workshop
Saturday, November 15, 1 - 5 p.m.
How does City Hall work? Can I actually create a campaign at the municipal level? What are all these committees, and deputations? Is there anything to City Hall that's not Rob Ford? Come to find answers to these questions and many more, and learn tips and secrets to running community based campaigns to win change at City Hall.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/how-to-win-change-at-toronto-city-hall-tickets-12525836113?aff=eorg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Visioning our Future - How good do we want it?
Sat. November 15, 1 - 3 pm
Bahen Centre, U of T, room BA1240, 40 St George St
One focus for the Transition Movement is bringing forward narratives of a post-carbon future composed of localized communities that are great places to live. That kind of narrative is exactly what was built at the 2014 New Story Summit in Findhorn. Kaia Nightingale, a summit attendee and Transition Ottawa founder, will join us in Toronto to recap the Summit's findings, talk about her book "Visions - Co-Creating our Future", and focus on how we can develop new, positive, post-carbon stories for our communities in Toronto.
http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/toronto-s-future-environment-how-good-do-you-want-it

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

War Child
Sunday, November 16, 4 pm
Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles
This award-winning documentary chronicles the tumultuous, shocking, inspiring and ultimately hopeful odyssey of Emmanuel Jal.  A former child soldier of Sudan’s brutal civil war, Emmanuel Jal now travels the world sharing his story through hip hop music. His tragic experience has shaped him into a passionate advocate for peace and especially for the education of children.  $15 in advance, $20 at the door. All proceeds will go towards educating children in the Kibera slum community, Kenya.
www.villageoflovecanada.org/warchild/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Bridges, Breaking Barriers: Migrant Worker Speaking Tour
Sunday, Nov. 16, 3 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 712 Markham Street
You’ve heard a lot about Temporary Foreign Workers, now come hear from them! Join 3 migrant workers – a Live-In Caregiver, a Farmworker, and a Restaurant worker – to learn about their struggles, their rights, and the laws that impact them. Join our fight to build strong, healthy communities for all of us.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/building-bridges-breaking-barriers/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facilitating Conference Calls and Online Meetings
Sunday, November 16, 1 - 5 pm
UofT Campus, exact location provided to participants
This training will offer tools and techniques for justice organizers and activists who are facilitating meetings and discussions using online video or audio conferencing software (like Skype and Google Hangout) and telephone conferences.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/o/tools-for-change-1382386439

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What's the Plan for Ontario's Aging Nukes, and the Alternatives?
Mon. Nov. 24, 7 - 9 p.m.
Metro Hall (King and John St.), Rm. 310
Did you know Ontario plans to rebuild 10 of our aging nuclear reactors, locking us into nuclear for another 4 or more decades? This will cost taxpayers upwards of $60 billion, to say nothing of the radioactive waste and risk of catastrophic accident on one of our Great Lakes. Did anyone ever ask you if you'd rather your $$ go to a renewable future? Conservation, water power, wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, biogas - the options are endless, more affordable, and infinitely safer. Join Angela Bischoff and Jack Gibbons of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance to find out more, ask questions, and learn how you can get involved. Free.
www.cleanairalliance.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/858797924139021/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in

------