T.O. Greenspiration Events: Passion for the Planet

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 8 22:30:07 EST 2015

T.O. Greenspiration Events
Thanks Glenn!

---------------------------------------

No Secret Nuclear Deals - Let’s Leaflet Blitz Wynne’s Riding
The ON gov’t is negotiating a secret deal to rebuild 4 nuclear reactors at Bruce B (on Lake Huron). This massive deal would be the largest private-sector contract ever signed by the Gov’t of ON, running anywhere from $60 - $111 billion.  The deal could be signed any day with no public oversight. We’re blitzing ALL of Wynne’s riding with this leaflet hot off the press: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/bruce-pamphlet.pdf  We’re just popping them in mailboxes, not knocking.
Can you contribute a couple hours to help? We’ll be doing weekly blitzes. Please contact me to find out dates/times. Thanks! angela at cleanairalliance.org
Alternatively, you could blitz your own neighbourhood. AND please send an email to Wynne here: http://cleanairalliance.org/bruce-oeb-letter

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Did you watch the Carbon Pricing Forum last week?
Well worth watching. I especially appreciated Nicholas Rivers’ presentation at 34:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jIyF0zVqXw

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Weak-kneed opposition lets Conservative terror bill sail through
The Liberals and NDP are afraid to criticize the substance of Bill C-51. Too bad. There is a lot they could say.
So far, the only opposition MP with enough guts to critique the content of the Conservative government’s new anti-terror bill is Green Party Leader Elizabeth May. She said Monday in the Commons that it would turn CSIS into a “secret police force.” She also asked if the bill’s remarkably broad definition of crimes against the security of Canada included anti-pipeline protests (and got no answer).
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/02/03/weak-kneed-opposition-lets-conservative-terror-bill-sail-through-walkom.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Host (or Attend) an Energy East Application Party!
Speak out against the Energy East pipeline. Join Toronto350.Org to participate in the National Energy Board hearing process. We need as many people as possible apply to speak to the NEB about Energy East's climate change impacts. Our strategy is designed to delegitimize the NEB's phony public participation process, as well as build pressure to put climate at the top of the agenda of proposed pipeline projects. To get these applications written, we're hosting several "Application Parties", over the course of Feb. and encouraging others to attend or host their own parties. If you would like to attend or host a party, find out more here:
http://www.toronto350.org/host_or_attend_an_energy_east_application_party

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Studies in Propaganda
Mon., February  9, 6 - 8 pm
15 Kings College Circle, Room 140, University College, U of T
Free lecture with Sydney White, Investigative Journalist.
New York "9/11", Paris Charlie Hebdo: False Flag and the Police State.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy: Where the Canadian Political Parties Stand on Animal Rights Issues
With Camille Labchuck, animal rights lawyer
Tues. Feb. 10. 7 pm
University College, 15 Kings College Circle, room 67 (basement level)
https://www.facebook.com/events/423898957767508/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Easy Like Water
With special guest speaker: Dewan Afzal
Tuesday, Feb. 10, 6:15 pm
Annette Street Public LIbrary, 145 Annette St
Easy Like Water is an eye-opening and inspiring look at one man's quest to fight the effects of climate change. In rural Bangladesh, a visionary architect is building floating schools to turn the front lines of climate change into a community of learning. The boat schools — outfitted with solar-powered Internet — are bringing education to kids, especially girls, who might otherwise never get a chance to go to school. Now, architect Mohammed Rezwan is trying to expand the model to create floating clinics, cinemas, and climate shelters. In a nation where 20 million people may be washed away by mid-century, Rezwan is creating a blueprint for his people’s survival. But can “Bangladesh’s Noah” overcome both high waters and the high-pressure competition for resources to sustain his dream? Filmmaker Glenn Baker presents a new perspective on the developing world — recognizing it as a source of solutions to this century’s most pressing problems — and ultimately, a place where hope floats. Presented by Green 13 & Annette Library
http://green13toronto.org/event/easy-water-free-screening-and-discussion
http://www.easylikewater.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hashtags, Selfies and Ice-Buckets: The Myth of Slacktivism
Tues., Feb. 10, 7 pm
Hart House Theatre, U of T
Social media activism encompasses a range of online engagement including hashtags, Facebook campaigns, and user-generated content pertaining to social issues and causes, and is often labelled and furthermore dismissed as slacktivism. This is often through a puritan, if not romantic lens of what is considered traditional activism. What would happen if we reject the notion of slacktivism, or better yet embrace it, to build engagement with some of the most pressing issues of our time? Join us as digital strategist Jennifer Hollett defines and dissects slacktivism in the 2015 Hancock Lecture. Free.
http://harthouse.ca/events/2015-hart-house-hancock-lecture/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Nexus between Political and Economic Power in the Digital Age
Tuesday Feb 10, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St. (near College and Spadina)
The interconnectedness between economic and political power has always been a significant aspect of capitalism. In recent years, a rising surge of economic transactions intermediated over cyber markets has created a new face of modern capitalism; the age of cyber markets. An Occupy Economics Workshop.
Free and open to all. Contact: info at occupyeconomics.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Emerging Revolution in the Global Response to Climate Change?
Wednesday, February 11, 4 - 6 pm
Room ES 149 (basement), 5 Bancroft Avenue, Earth Sciences Building, U of T
With Jacob Hirsh, Assistant Professor, Institute for Management & Innovation, U of T.
http://tcan.ca/event/emerging-revolution-global-response-climate-change

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Radiation's Health Effects – Webinar
Wed. February 11, 10 am
Presenter Dr. Cathy Vakil, M.D., Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment and Physicians for Global Survival, will discuss the negative health effects of ionizing radiation that is generated at each stage of the nuclear chain - from uranium mining through to the tens of thousands of years that nuclear fuel waste remains hazardous.
https://www.facebook.com/events/816109288449549/
http://www.anymeeting.com/Northwatch

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Proliferation and control issues
With Cesar Jaramillo of Project Ploughshares
Wed. Feb. 11, 4 – 6 p.m.
University College, U of T, Room 179
Free weekly public lectures on public health in a nuclear age.
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=65bd52daac4a78ce50293dec4&id=a0aa6cbe60&e=7d6e129e1a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Valentine’s: Love Yourself, Love Your Planet Workshop
With Tracey TieF of Anarres Natural Health
Wed. Feb. 11, 7 - 8:30 pm
Karma Coop, 739 Palmerston Avenue (in the alley)
Suggested $10 to cover material costs
Learn to make the most delicious, edible, warming massage oil ever! Made with foodie familiar essential oils and all-natural Certified Organically Grown vegan ingredients, it's tasty and sexy for everywhere all over! You won't be able to keep your lips off each other. With Tynan Rhea of Rhea Moon Health, Apprentice of Tracey TieF of Anarres Apothecary.
Sign up in the store or to manager at karmacoop.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Day of Fossil Fuel Divestment Kick-Off Rally
Thursday Feb. 12, 9 - 10 a.m.
TD Square (Bay and Wellington)
This is the beginning of the end of the Fossil Fuel age and he time to divest from dirty energy is now. We can’t get dragged down by Stephen Harper’s failed push to make Canada a dirty energy super power, we need to divest from all fossil fuels, starting with the tar sands and invest in building clean and just energy.  It's time to say it loud and clear: banking on the tarsands is both morally and financially bankrupt. The Climate has enemies.  And we can divest from them.  Stand up for Energy Democracy.
RSVP or for more information:  katie at toronto350.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making the Case for Divestment - Webinar
Thursday, February 12, 9 a.m.
Ahead of Global Divestment Day, the Tree would like to invite you to a panel discussion on making the case for divestment. Whether it is your university, your city, your employer or your pension, this call will provide you with messaging and narrative advice for engaging those you work with, drawing on our panel's past experiences and successes in the area.
To dial in from Canada, use this number: 877 724 3611
The passcode is: 230358
http://tcan.ca/event/tree-call-making-case-divestment

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make Every Vote Count 2015 Town Hall Webinar
Thur. Feb 12, 7 - 8:30 p.m. EST
We have an historic opportunity to achieve proportional representation in Canada. The 2015 election is the crucial next step to making it happen.Where do the parties stand on making every vote count? Join us for a live and interactive town hall conversation about how we can Make 2015 the Last Unfair Election! With Craig Scott, NDP MP, Scott Simms, Liberal MP, and Bruce Hyer, Green MP
Register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8767669911077535234
https://www.facebook.com/events/751905518251017/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

'More than just a Valentine' Chocolate Workshop: Forest Gardens and Spiritual Ecology
Thur. Feb. 12, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m.
1131 St. Clair Ave W.
Join ChocoSol’s Founder, Michael Sacco, for a special ‘More than just a Valentine’ workshop focusing on forest gardens and spiritual ecology. The trinity of the sacred forest garden of the Maya are cacao, vanilla, and achiote. Achiote provides the shade for the cacao seedlings as they grow. Cacao provides the delicious fruit and golden seeds that are the durable medicinal wealth of the forest gardens. Vanilla vines tenderly climb the cacao wrapping around the trees. Their orchids attract pollinators, as do the blood red flowers of the achiote trees and the innumerable flowers of the sacred cacao trees. This hospitality of plants that supports ecology, provides habitat for insects and animals, and simultaneously creates a holistic overlap between the human spirit and nature giving rise to spiritual ecology. Get spoiled with this 2½ hour chocolate workshop which provides interactive bean-to-bar chocolate education, a tour of the kitchen, and hands-on ingredient and chocolate engagement. Have the opportunity for an intimate conversation with knowledgeable ChocoSolistas while enjoying chocolate treats to your heart's content. $40 per person
https://www.uniiverse.com/events/more-than-just-a-valentine-chocolate-workshop-tickets-toronto-Q015Q

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Streets of Paris: Backdrop to Charlie Hebdo
Thursday, February 12, 7 - 10 pm
Beit Zatoun offers two seminal films that address the backdrop of Paris and back story of Charlie Hebdo.  La haine (1995) takes place in the streets of Paris showing the state of its disenfranchised youth and sick relations between the state and its people.  The Battle of Algiers(1966), one of the single greatest political films, shows the seeds of France’s festering present in its racist and colonial past. The crime committed at Charlie Hebdo is real as are the conditions which created it.  These films help us understand the context and backstory so that this tragic event cannot be abused to further abuse freedoms. $5
http://beitzatoun.org/event/streets-of-paris-backdrop-to-charlie-hebdo/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy East, the Biggest Baddest Tarsands Pipeline
Thur. Feb. 12, Anytime between 7 - 10 p.m.
Harvest Noon, 16 Bancroft, U of T
Pizza, drinks, rounds of our new card game "Pipelines Against Humanity". We need you! Join the People's Climate Intervention (http://bit.ly/1Co74eK) and demand your voice be heard on Energy East This February, thousands of Canadians will apply to the National Energy Board to participate in Energy East hearings. We are applying to address the climate impacts of this tarsands-expanding pipeline project, which would affect us all.  The NEB has made it clear that they do not consider climate impacts of energy projects and they do not want to talk (or hear) about climate issues. Our aim is to de-legitimize the NEB process and demand a full climate review for Energy East.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1527466537513071/
Better yet, Host your own application party for friends, family, neighbours or a specific group!  We will provide you with all you need to fill out the application.  Go to toronto350.org to sign up to host an application party.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Can Green Space Support Cooler Cleaner, More Equitable Urban Communities?
Thur. Feb. 12, 4:10 p.m.
Room 179, University College, 15 King’s College Circle
With Tara Zupancic, MPH, Director, Habitus Research. A Report of the David Suzuki Foundation. No registration or fee required; all are welcome.
www.environment.utoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Divestment Day - Valentines for the President
Friday, Feb. 13, noon
Sidney Smith (exact location to be sent to attendees)
Suddenly fossil fuels are on the defensive. Suddenly fracking and tar sands don’t look like such hot investments anymore. Respectable, prudent fund managers are seriously considering taking their money out of fossil fuels, and many of them have already done so. Will you help us seize the moment? Fossil fuel divestment supporters from around the world are coming together with a single message: Fossil fuels are history, and renewable energy is our future. Join us to call for divestment at the U of T.
http://act.350.org/event/gdd_attend/10046/signup/?t=1&akid=6002.1793187.gTk-Fw

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Teachers' Pension to Divest Fossil Fuel Holdings
Fri. February 13, 1 - 2 pm
Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, 8 Finch Ave W
Join teachers and concerned citizens to urge the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan to divest its fossil fuel holdings. This will signal the extreme importance of going fossil free to minimize the drastic effects of climate change. Friday, Febrary 13th, is Global Divestment Day. It's a time to ask funds around the world to stop supporting and investing in fossil fuel projects that are contributing to the degradation of life on Planet Earth.
http://www.toronto350.org/rally_for_teachers_pension_to_divest

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Citizen Four
Feb. 13 - 25
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, Bloor and Bathurst
The story of Edward Snowden who blew the whistle on the massive covert surveillance programs run by the National Security Administration (NSA).
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=32690~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

10th Annual Strawberry Ceremony for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
Sat. Feb. 14, 12:30 pm
Toronto Police Headquarters, 40 College Street (at Yonge)
We stand in defense of our lives and to demonstrate against the complicity of the state in the ongoing genocide of Indigenous women and the impunity of state institutions and actors (police, RCMP, coroners' offices, the courts, and an indifferent federal government) that prevents justice for all Indigenous peoples.
https://www.facebook.com/events/703866506400035/?fref=ts

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Passion for the Planet
Sat. Feb. 14, noon - 3 p.m.
3030 Dundas St. West
Join us for a fun and free family event. Enjoy childrens entertainment, creative activities, and informative speakers. We want to motivate and mobilize families and communities to bring about positive change around climate change. Snacks are provided and people are also welcome to order from 30/30's delicious brunch and drink menu (at their own cost).
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/passion-for-the-planet-tickets-15538785927?aff=es2&rank=0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Togetherness - Family Nature Walk
Sat. Feb. 14, 1:30 - 3 pm.
High Park Nature Centre, 440 Parkside
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a hike that explores symbiotic relationships, mutualism and, of course, mating and reproduction. $2.
http://highparknaturecentre.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stopping the Cycle of Endless Ward - a Teach-in
Sun. Feb. 1, 1 - 5pm
United Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Panellists include David Jacobs, Andrew Cash, Yusur Al-Bahrani. Free. Organized by Toronto Coalition to Stop the War.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/?mc_cid=d87720c94f&mc_eid=98329828f0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at: greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.