T.O. Greenspiration Events: Rising Revolution

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Feb 23 00:07:51 EST 2015

---------------------------------------

Getting Ontarians moving while saving them money - Renewable energy, not rebuilt nuclear reactors
The ON Government is looking for ways to stretch its budget while investing in long overdue infrastructure improvements, like expanded transit and safe bridges. Here’s the idea we have submitted: Refocus our electricity system away from high-cost nuclear and toward low-cost water power imports from Quebec. Please give it the thumbs up here. Thank you!
https://talk.ontario.ca/idea/getting-ontarians-moving-while-saving-them-money

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Troubled times ahead with new anti-terror legislation
By Matthew Behrens. Most comprehensive piece on this issue out there.
http://rabble.ca/columnists/2015/02/troubled-times-ahead-new-anti-terror-legislation

Stop Canada's Big Brother Bill C-51
Petition. https://secure.avaaz.org/en/canada_secret_police/?bvPYIab&v=53768

CTV News with Keith Stewart of Greenpeace on how Bill C-51 could target environmentalists
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/canada_secret_police/?bvPYIab&v=53768

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Proportional Representation in Canada 2015
This is a recording of a 90 minute webinar organized by Fair Vote Canada in February 2015. It includes a PPT presentation on proportional representation (PR), statements by the democratic critics of Canada's three principal opposition parties, expert opinion from Denis Pilon, and general discussion about PR as an issue in Canada's upcoming federal eleciton in 2015 and the need for a multi-partisan consensus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSn8fJTxRKI

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Say NO to Energy East
Click here and follow the step by step instructions to file a climate application with the NEB.
http://350.org/step-by-step-ee/?akid=6252.1793187.kFYkHc&rd=1&t=1
Or click here to find a local application event near you.
http://act.350.org/event/peoplesgatherings/search/?akid=6252.1793187.kFYkHc&rd=1&t=2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make your voice heard: MTO calls for input on lower speed limits
Do you think the Ministry of Transportation should reduce the default speed limit province wide from 50 km/hr? I do! Lower traffic speeds mean fewer crashes and injuries. Have your say here!
5 min. survey  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/speedlimitontario
Find out more here: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5e12dec7cf3f22df0ae13fc69&id=badc451871&e=8c9aaa44a4
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/01/29/queens-park-considering-lower-speed-limits-in-cities-and-towns.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

To Save the Planet, Eat Less Meat, Report Urges
For first time, top nutritional panel says American consumers must cut back on red meat to prevent irreversible climate change
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/02/20/save-planet-eat-less-meat-report-urges

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Cartoons #1 - What is a Carbon Budget?
2 min. video by Toronto’s Green Majority
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5iADT6xdn8

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto: go 100% clean
Please sign the petition. As Canada's largest city, Toronto must lead the way by reducing its greenhouse gas emissions which are fuelling climate change, and make the transition to cleaner sources of renewable energy. Already, over a dozen cities and even whole countries have pledged a 100% clean future, and our hometown should be next.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/campaign/Toronto_go_100_clean_23?buLrXbb

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bought - The Truth Behind Vaccines, Big Pharma, GMOs and Your Food
Watch the 90 min. film online here: https://www.boughtmovie.net/free-viewing/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toward a World with Commons and Without Psychiatry: An Anarchist Vision
Public Lecture By Dr. Bonnie Burstow
Mon. February 23, 2 p.m.
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, floor 7, room 162.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Studies in Propaganda
Mon., February 23, 6 - 8 pm
15 Kings College Circle, Room 140, University College, UofT
Free lecture with Sydney White, Investigative Journalist.
FUK-U-SHIMA: The Great Silence. How many rads 'til extinction?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CitizenFour
Documentary with whistle-blower Edward Snowden
Mon. Feb .25 and Wed. Feb. 25, 9 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=32690~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

People’s Climate Intervention - Energy East Application Party
Tue Feb 24, 5:30 pm - 8:15 pm, Room 2
Annette Library, 145 Annette Street
We need to make Energy East a climate test for Canadian leaders the way Keystone XL has become the climate test for President Obama. We need you to stand up and join us in fixing our broken regulatory process.
http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=68187dfc9ae1f7e087011ab7b&id=bbe64efe8d&e=72d4af74a2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Is there a war on science? With author Michael Riordon
Tues. Feb. 24, 1 - 3 p.m.
Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge Street, Elizabeth Beeton Auditorium
As governments and corporations scramble to pull the plug on research that proves that they are poisoning our planet and rush to muzzle the scientists who dare to share their disturbing data, it seems the powerful have declared a war on science. In his book Bold Scientists: Dispataches from the Battle for Honest Science, Michael Riordon asks deep questions of bold scientists who defy the status quo and asks who controls science and at what cost to the earth and its inhabitants?This is unspun science for dangerous times. Free.
info at btlbooks.com
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT180870&R=EVT180870

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 2040 Climate Imperative: Zero Emissions by 2040 – Webinar with Guy Dauncey
Tue, Feb 24, 3 - 4 p.m. EST
The climate crisis is easy to understand once you have the key numbers. And those numbers lead to some clear and compelling conclusions.
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1102084849606203137

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Diesel Trains are Coming This Spring
Tue. Feb. 24, 7 - 9 pm
Fern Public School, 128 Fern Ave, Toronto
Metrolinx is hosting a public meeting with the Roncesvalles Macdonnell Residents Association to give an update on its progress in electrifying the Union Pearson line and installing sound walls. The 23-km long train from Union Station to Pearson Airport could be a truly affordable public transit line for all. So why is the Wynne Government and transit agency, Metrolinx, turning our new Union Station to Pearson Airport train into a train for the 1%? The 23 km long line has just two stops between the terminals, and it costs up to $27.50 to take the train one way.  And Metrolinx and the Province are moving ahead with running unhealthy diesel trains through our neighbourhoods this SPRING, and not clean electric trains. This is the first time in over a year that Metrolinx has held a public meeting on the Union Pearson issue.  Metrolinx and the Province refused to hold any public meetings before deciding that it is going to cost an outrageous $27.50 to ride the train. Invite MPPs that represent residents along the line to attend the meeting and hear community concerns.  Your MPPs contacts are here along with more info.
http://www.ttcriders.ca/metrolinx-public-meeting-when-we-will-get-clean-electrified-trains-low-fares-and-more-stops/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy Lecture
Tues. Feb. 24, 7 - 9 p.m.
University College 15 King's College Circle, Room 256, U of T
Paul Waldau talks about the relationship between conservation and animal protection movements. Free.
http://animalrightsacademy.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ON Climate change public consultation
Join the conversation on climate change as we work to prepare a new strategy for fighting climate change. Share your feedback on what matters to you or attend an event.
https://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/climate-change-consultation

Tues. Feb. 24, 6 - 8 pm
Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor Street

Wed. Feb. 25, 6 - 8 p.m.
Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor Street

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Emergency Planning in the Nuclear Age - Webinar
Wed. Feb. 25, 2 pm
Presenter Theresa McClenaghan, Executive Director and Senior Counsel with the Canadian Environmental Law Association, will discuss the importance of emergency planning, preparedness and response and how Ontario is unprepared for a major nuclear accident.
https://www.facebook.com/events/644948602276627/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Swansea Horticultural Society - Not Far From the Tree
Wed. February 25, 7:30 p.m.
Swansea Town Hall - 95 Lavinia Ave, Rousseau Room, Main Floor
Laura Reinsborough will talk about Not Far from the Tree, a non-profit group which deals with urban orchards.
http://www.anymeeting.com/Northwatch

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rethinking nuclear weapons - With Martha Goodings
Wed. Feb. 25, 4 – 6 p.m.
University College, U of T, Room 179
Free weekly public lectures on public health in a nuclear age.
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=65bd52daac4a78ce50293dec4&id=a0aa6cbe60&e=7d6e129e1a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Taking Ourselves Seriously: Developing Strategy for Social Transformation
Wed. Feb. 25, 6 - 9:30 pm
St. George Campus exact location provided to participants
The question of strategy – how we might win in the near and long term as we struggle against domination, exploitation, and oppression – is pressing. As anti-authoritarians, however, we frequently face barriers to thinking and acting strategically. These include fixating on principles over plans, fetishizing specific tactics, and organizing in crisis modes. Drawing on interviews with organizers across North America, this presentation will discuss these barriers, and potential ways we can move past them toward developing effective approaches for the long haul of social transformation. Together, we will explore how to build movements in the world as it is – engaging with where and how people are struggling – while cultivating strategies toward the world that we want. This presentation will especially highlight strategic approaches based on fighting for non-reformist reforms and building dual power.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/o/tools-for-change-1382386439

---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Bold Scientists: unspun science for dangerous times
Wednesday, February 25, 7 - 10 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
On January 25, 2015 Greece elected Syriza to form a new government after years of protests and street battles against the extreme policies of austerity imposed by the so-called “Troika” composed of the European Commission, European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Syriza representing a range of radical and left is the first and the strongest democratic response anywhere in the world to deepening neoliberalism after the 2008 crisis. This forum brings together two important commentators to speak to the openings and dilemmas now confronting the Greek, as well as the European and International left.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/bold-scientists-unspun-science-for-dangerous-times/

---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Creating Futures: Threads of Hope for African Grandmothers
Feb. 25 to March 9th
Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre, 750 Spadina, Jacobs Lounge Gallery
Creating Futures is a textile art exhibit to honour the hope and resolve of African grandmas raising orphans from AIDS. Free. In support of Stephen Lewis Fndtn's Grandmothers to Grandmothers campaign.
http://www.grandmotherscampaign.org

---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Climate Vegan Teach-In
Thur. Feb. 26, 7 - 10 pm
Bahen Centre, 40 St. George St., Room B024, U of T
In the first hour, the science of climate change and the "meat and dairy" connection will be reviewed (for those who missed the first teach-in). The second and third hour will be spent on developing taking action as part of a Climate Vegan Action Plan. Angela Bischoff, Greenspiration, will help facilitate this session.
RSVP at: https://www.facebook.com/events/775373219198790/?fref=ts
For more info, please contact Anita Krajnc at TorontoPigSave at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Let the Fire Burn
Thursday Feb. 26, 7 pm
Koffler House, Room 108, U of T (near Spadina and College)
Free Screening with Cinema Politica: free pop corn, and a post-movie discussion. A compelling deployment of archival materials sets the tone for a disturbing and haunting exploration of a dark chapter in US race history.
http://www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making Waves: An Invitation to the Great Lakes Commons in Toronto
Thursday, February 26, 3 p.m.
CSI Annex, Meeting Room #6 (Ground Floor), 720 Bathurst (s. of Bloor)
Moved by a hope that we can yet create a thriving and life sustaining future for these lakes, we invite you to join us in taking up our responsibility to care for and act on behalf of these waters, our Great Lakes Commons. We’ve got plenty of maps, stories, questions, and creative tools ready for your visit. We want to explore Toronto as a water-commons city with you.
http://bit.ly/1z9L4xg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Crank Your Chain - Cycle Toronto Pub Night
Thur. Feb. 26, 7 – 10 p.m.
Handlebar, 159 Augusta (Kensington Market)
What's cranking your chain? Let's have a drink, meet great people, and talk bikes. Learn about our ongoing Cycle Toronto campaigns and how you can get involved by volunteering with Bike Watch, or through local advocacy. Everyone's welcome. No cover if you arrive before 9:45pm. Cycle Toronto members get $5 drinks from 7pm to 10pm. Get a free drink if you join or renew that night.
http://cycleto.ca/event/2015/02/06/crank-your-chain-cycle-toronto-pub-night
https://www.facebook.com/events/1555833811300303/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Battle of Algiers: Backstory to Charlie Hebdo
Thursday, Feb 26. 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
2015 could hardly have had a worse start than the events of January 7 in Paris with the attack at Charlie Hebdo. These two seminal films address the backdrop of Paris and backstory of Charlie Hebdo. La haine (1995) takes place in the streets of Paris showing the state of its disenfranchised youth and sick relations between the state and its people. The Battle of Algiers (1966), one of the greatest political films, shows the seeds of France’s festering present in its racist and colonial past.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/battle-of-algiers-backstory-to-charlie-hebdo/?mc_cid=d7253e1b18&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Another Politics
Thursday, Feb. 26, 7pm
Another Story Bookshop, 315 Roncesvalles Ave
Join author and activist Chris Dixon for a presentation based on his new book Another Politics. Recent decades have seen the exciting convergence of anti-authoritarian radicalism and broader-based movements in the U.S. and Canada. From this convergence, a growing set of activists – from anti-poverty organizers in Toronto to prison abolitionists in Oakland, from occupy activists in New York to migrant justice organizers in Vancouver – are developing shared politics and practices. They are building “another politics,” to use a Zapatista expression. These efforts combine anti-authoritarian, anti-capitalist, anti-oppression politics with grassroots organizing among ordinary, non-activist people. Drawing on interviews with organizers across North America, this presentation will explore another politics and distill lessons for building effective, visionary movements.
https://www.facebook.com/events/333308656877212/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Movements Need Rhythm!  Rhythms Need You!
Thursday nights from 6:30 – 9 pm in Parkdale
Do you want to play samba-inspired percussion and support movements for social change? Want to be part of Toronto's social change soundtrack? Anyone can do it, no experience required ...and we need YOU! Rhythms of Resistance Toronto is a musical activist collective that plays drums to support demonstrations, direct actions and other social movement events. We are looking for people with diverse identities, backgrounds and abilities interested in playing for environmental and social justice actions regularly in Toronto. We need new members to be available to come on a regular basis to our rehearsals. Come to one of our upcoming orientations: http://goo.gl/forms/mE9Ib6No0D
Or email: rortoronto at gmail.com
http://rortoronto.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/rortoronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy East Application Party
Fri. Feb. 27, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Friend's House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
Toronto 350.org is organizing application parties to show to the Energy East that Torontonians demand a full climate review of Energy East. Harper has taken climate out of the environment, and if the NEB does nothing to change this their review will be illegitimate. We need you to stand up and join us in fixing our broken regulatory process.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1029829223700529

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Policies that Build Community
Is current Public Policy effective in helping to create a community where people belong?
Fri. Feb. 27, 9:30 am-3:30 pm
Ryerson University, Jorgenson hall - Room POD250 (380 Victoria Street Toronto)
Community Living Ontario, in collaboration with the Ryerson School of Social Work, the Ryerson School of Disability Studies and the CAW Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice and Democracy is hosting a forum to explore this question. Through our discussions, we hope to help identify some priority issues that could be the focus of Community Living Ontario’s advocacy agenda.
To register and for more info: communitylivingontario.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disruption
When it comes to climate change, why do we do so little when we know so much?
Friday, February 27, 7:30 p.m.
St. John’s Presbyterian Church, 415 Broadview Avenue
Free film screening will be followed by discussion lead by Vanessa Gray, Anishinaabe Kwe land defender; Aamjiwanng and Sarnia Against Pipelines. And Peter Tabuns, NDP MPP for Toronto Danforth  (former director of Greenpeace Canada). Sponsored by Cinema Politica Toronto-Danforth and CUPE Ontario
http://www.cinemapolitica.org/screening/danforth/disruption

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Rising Revolution: Drug Policy Reform Around the Globe
Fri. Feb. 27 - Sun. Mar. 1
Sidney Smith Hall 100 St George
Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy conference provides a platform for youth, students, researchers, service providers, people who use drugs, and allies to share ideas, exchange knowledge and organize for future actions.
http://bit.ly/1II60kq

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Mapuche Solidarity Film Festival
Fri. and Sat, Feb. 27-28
OISE 252 Bloor W, Rm. 5160
Films that pay tribute to indigenous peoples and activists who have been repressed by the state and big business. All foreign films with subtitles.
https://wccctoronto.wordpress.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How Cities Are Saving Bees
Sat. Feb. 28, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Foodshare, 90 Croatia Street
Celebrate Bee-Day with Toronto Beekeepers Co-op. Share bee space with Honey Bee and Wild Bee Experts and enthusiasts as they discuss how cities are saving bees. Registration is open. Cost is $50 and includes a vegan lunch, vendors, info booths and a panel of experts and enthusiasts as well as 6 bee related presentations. Questions and more info: intro at torontobees.ca.
http://torontobees.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Legacy and Future of the Cuban Revolution
Saturday, Feb. 28, 2 - 5 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
On December. 17, 2014 simultaneous announcements were made by the presidents of Cuba and the US, Raúl Castro Ruz and Barak Obama respectively, to establish full diplomatic relations between them.  Understandably it raised many concerns and questions among friends of Cuba and the general public regarding the legacy of the Cuban Revolution.  This surprising development deserves support since it is based on mutual respect which has always been one of Cuba’s requirements. At the same time, the criminal illegal economic, financial and commercial blockade imposed on Cuba by the US is still in place and it continues to hurt Cuba immensely. To understand the new relations, as well as the opportunities for advancing the Cuban Revolution at home and in other counties through Cuba’s  internationalist commitments, we need to continue building the solidarity movement with the socialist project of Cuba.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/a-political-forum-on-cuba-and-the-us/?mc_cid=d7253e1b18&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy East Changes Everything Application Party
Sunday, March 1, 1 p.m.
519 Community Centre, 519 Church Street
https://www.facebook.com/events/597319903737556

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Tory Era & the Challenge of Inner Suburban Transit
Sunday, March 1, 1 – 3:30 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)
The election of John Tory creates new openings and challenges for the public transit movement in Toronto, as does the large vote for Ford in the city’s inner suburban areas. How are we to understand this moment, and how do we move forward as a transit movement? These are some of the questions posed at this forum.  Invited is any one interested in public transit as well as organizations seeking to build, expand and defend the public transit movement.  The forum will include speakers, small group discussions and a summary session. Organized by TTCriders and the Free and Accessible Transit Campaign of the GTWA. Free.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/the-tory-era-and-the-challenge-of-inner-suburban-transit/?mc_cid=de5fd52c66&mc_eid=98329828f0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Federal Pre-Election Town Hall on Climate Change
Mon. March 2, 6 – 8 p.m.
Fitzgerald Building, Room 103, U of T
A coalition of over 38 organizations across Canada including university departments, student organizations and environmental and democracy action groups are calling on the federal parties to state their positions on climate change.  Green Party Leader Elizabeth May, NDP MP Matthew Kellway, and Liberal Party Environment Critic John McKay will attend in person. Minister of Environment, Leona Aglukkaq's attendance is yet to be confirmed.  The new, young voters will be asking how a government by each party would do better at tackling climate change than a government of either of the other parties. It is expected that questions will be fielded on specifics such as carbon pricing, regulations, government procurement policies and other means parties may have explored in their policy discussions. Free.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1543663182548525/
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/federal-pre-election-town-hall-on-climate-change-tickets-15669492875

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Be There: Critical City of Toronto Public Consultation on Climate Change!
Mon. March 2, 7 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Council Chambers, 100 Queen Street West
Join the Toronto Climate Action Network and concerned residents to chart a course for the Parks and Environment Subcommittee on Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation. Let’s pack the room to send a strong message to the Mayor and City Councillors to make climate change a top priority!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1535506390048539/
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/get_the_city_moving_on_climate_change

Please sign the petition asking Toronto to go 100% clean, which will be presented at the meeting:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/campaign/Toronto_go_100_clean_23/?lmOavgb&pv=0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto and the Natural City: Facing Our Ecological Future
Monday, March 2, 4 – 6 pm
Room 200, Centre for Ethics, 15 Devonshire Place, Trinity College, U of T
Since 2005, more people live in cities worldwide than in rural areas – a first in human history. As a result, how we structure our cities, particularly in relationship to the natural world, is a key ecological as well as social, economic, political, and ethical question. This forum will explore the natural city concept through the living lens of the City of Toronto.  The natural city concept tries to re-imagine urban sustainability around a deeper integration of human and non-human life systems. It imagines the human presence not as an aberration but as an organic and “natural” development in the progress of human settlements.  With panelists:
·     David Miller, President & CEO, World Wildlife Fund Canada; Former Mayor, City of Toronto (Moderator)
·     Professor Roger Keil, Faculty of Environmental Studies, York University
·     Professor Pamela Robinson, School of Urban and Regional Planning, Ryerson University
·     Professor Hilary Cunningham, Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto
·     Professor Stephen Bede Scharper, School of the Environment, University of Toronto
Co-Sponsor: School of the Environment, University of Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/?mc_cid=d87720c94f&mc_eid=98329828f0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.