T.O. Greenspiration Events: Voices of Power

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Mar 1 21:21:39 EST 2015

Greenspiration Friends: Many of you knew Tooker Gomberg, co-founder of Greenspiration and my partner who passed away Mar. 3, 2004. He contributed so much to Toronto and the world through his passion for a green and just planet. May he rest in peace, and may all who suffer find peace. If you haven’t already seen the newspaper I produced following his passing, you can find it here: Depression Expression. http://greenspiration.org/images/DEweb.pdf
-angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Crude Awakening: How the Keystone Veto Dashes Canada's 'Superpower' Dreams
Oil prices are crashing and Obama has vetoed Keystone XL. Will Canada double down on its dirty tar sands? Great piece by Rolling Stone.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/crude-awakening-how-the-keystone-veto-dashes-canadas-superpower-dreams-20150224

Why Is the Keystone XL So Crucial to the GOP's Vision for the Future?
Republicans running in 2016 see the pipeline as the first step towards building a North American energy fortress. It's nothing less than a plan to convert Canada and Mexico into energy colonies of the United States, while creating a North American power bloc capable of aggressively taking on Russia, China, and other foreign challengers.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/gop-keystone-xl-north-american-energy-fortress-election-2016

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Livable Streets For All
30 kmh / 20mph Speed Limits in Urban Neighbourhoods - an 8-80 Cities Report
http://8-80cities.org/images/res-walking-cycling-articles/livable-streets-30k.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

City of Toronto: Cash this $1.6 Million cheque
Companies that break our laws and pollute our water should pay their fair share of the clean up costs. A TEA (Toronto Environmental Alliance) petition.
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/polluter_paysutm_campaign=polluters_pay&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vanessa’s Law Reinforces Need for Integrative Medicine
http://vitalitymagazine.com/article/vanessas-law-reinforces-need-for-integrative-medicine/

Celebrating Vanessa's Law: Video
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm2SDOOLMXnbW-7gDtKZCVASOPEi3SRU8

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Say No to Energy East
The National Energy Board is refusing to consider the climate impacts of the proposed Energy East pipeline. We can have our say. This pipeline is critical for expanding the tar sands, and we can't let that happen! Please fill out an application today - it will take you 15 - 30 min. Tues. Mar. 3 is the deadline to apply. Toronto350.org makes it real easy here:
http://www.toronto350.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

We'll see SNC Lavalin Nuclear in court
Mon. March 2, 10 a.m. (come at any time during the day)
Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen St. W (NE corner of Queen/University), in Courtroom # 3 (on 2nd floor), entrance off Queen St.
In March 2011, the Ontario Clean Air Alliance (OCAA) filed a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to obtain details of the contract between Aecon Construction, SNC Lavalin Nuclear and Ontario Power Generation (OPG) for the re-building of four reactors at the Darlington Nuclear Station on Lake Ontario. They refused to provide the information. The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) ruled that the companies should provide relevant details, a decision Aecon and SNC then appealed to the Superior Court. Please join us to observe the proceedings as well as to show your support for greater transparency in government decision making.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/IPCO

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally Against Police Violence in Toronto
Mon. Mar. 2, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
40 College Street (1 block west of Yonge Street), Police Headquarters
Stand with those organizing against police violence and speak out against the racial profiling and brutality that continues to plague our neighborhoods and communities. Our struggles to be free from racist police harassment and violence has caused many studies to be discussed and press conferences to be held, but in the neighbourhoods, nothing has changed – police still harass, intimidate, illegally search, arrest, brutalize and murder our people. Organized by Jane Finch Action Against Poverty and the Network for the Elimination of Police Violence
For information: eliminatepoliceviolence at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Federal Pre-Election Town Hall on Climate Change
Mon. March 2, 6 – 8 p.m.
Fitzgerald Building, Room 103, U of T
A coalition of over 38 organizations across Canada including university departments, student organizations and environmental and democracy action groups are calling on the federal parties to state their positions on climate change.  Green Party Leader Elizabeth May, NDP MP Matthew Kellway, and Liberal Party Environment Critic John McKay will attend in person. Minister of Environment, Leona Aglukkaq's attendance is yet to be confirmed.  The new, young voters will be asking how a government by each party would do better at tackling climate change than a government of either of the other parties. It is expected that questions will be fielded on specifics such as carbon pricing, regulations, government procurement policies and other means parties may have explored in their policy discussions. Free.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1543663182548525/
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/federal-pre-election-town-hall-on-climate-change-tickets-15669492875

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Be There: Critical City of Toronto Public Consultation on Climate Change
Mon. March 2, 7 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Council Chambers, 100 Queen Street West
Join the Toronto Climate Action Network and concerned residents to chart a course for the Parks and Environment Subcommittee on Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation. Let’s pack the room to send a strong message to the Mayor and City Councillors to make climate change a top priority!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1535506390048539/
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/get_the_city_moving_on_climate_change

And please sign the petition asking Toronto to go 100% clean, which will be presented at the meeting:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/campaign/Toronto_go_100_clean_23/?lmOavgb&pv=0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto and the Natural City: Facing Our Ecological Future
Monday, March 2, 4 – 6 pm
George Ignatieff Theatre, Larkin Building, 15 Devonshire Place, U of T
Since 2005, more people live in cities worldwide than in rural areas – a first in human history. As a result, how we structure our cities, particularly in relationship to the natural world, is a key ecological as well as social, economic, political, and ethical question. This forum will explore the natural city concept through the living lens of the City of Toronto.  The natural city concept tries to re-imagine urban sustainability around a deeper integration of human and non-human life systems. It imagines the human presence not as an aberration but as an organic and “natural” development in the progress of human settlements.  Co-Sponsor: School of the Environment, University of Toronto
http://ethics.utoronto.ca/events/207/natural-city-colloquy/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario’s Environmental Bill of Rights: A Toolkit for Change
Session offered twice
- Monday, March 2, 1 - 4 pm
- Friday, March 6, 1 - 4 pm.
Sustainability Network, 215 Spadina
This interactive workshop will introduce you to Ontario’s Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR), a powerful toolkit for environmental change. Whether your issues are wildlife or water taking permits, alvars or air quality, greenhouse gases or gravel pits, you want to ensure you have the full range of tools at your disposal. The EBR is designed to boost public engagement with Ontario’s environmental laws and policies.
http://sustainabilitynetwork.ca/ontarios-environmental-bill-of-rights-a-toolkit-for-change-2/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change: Carbon-Free Energy, Food (In)Security, and Local Activism
With Danny Harvey, Sarah Archibald and Clayton Thomas-Muller
Tues. March 3, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Innis College Town Hall, 2 Sussex Avenue, U of T
Climate change is arguably the most pressing social and environmental issue of our time, and this event aims to educate students about its indisputable science, projected impacts, and possible ways to engage with the issues.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1546392528949194

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Born in Gaza - a documentary on war and its consequences
with guest speaker Tarek Loubani - Toronto Premier
Tuesday, March 3, 6 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor Street West
An intimate, deep look at how violence transforms the lives of ten children. Born in Gaza ends three months after the end of the Israeli offensive. We see what has become of these children, as well as how they are struggling to overcome the horror suffered and regain some normalcy in their lives. The film also provides space for dialogue and healing. We're honoured to be screening this poetic, visually stunning tribute to the children who work, play, dream and survive in the world's largest open air prison. Co-presented by Cinema Politica, the Toronto Palestine Film Festival and Israeli Apartheid Week, and POV Magazine. Suggested donation $5-10
cinemapolitica.org/bloor

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Economics: Greece, a people against the gnomes of Frankfurt
Tuesday March 3, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
We will discuss the debt crisis in Europe, and in particular the situation in Greece. A new left leaning government are trying to steer the country out of the debt trap that previous inept and corrupt governments have landed the country in. The central organs of the European union with the European Central Bank in Frankfurt in the lead have forced the country to adopt unsustainable austerity policies, whose main results have been to depress the country’s output by 25%, and created massive unemployment. This has only deepened the debt trap and created massive social deprivation among the country’s growing number of poor. The new Syriza government of Greece’s repudiating austerity has thus become the frontline of the global fight against the debt slavery of modern neoliberal capitalism. It is therefore important that we mobilize a global movement to support this fight, so that we can push the debt vigilantes back. The fact remains that debts that can be repaid, won’t. But the capital owners won’t accept that before they are forced to do so by a rising political will to confront them. Free and open to all. Contact: info at occupyeconomics.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Academy - Climate Vegan Movement
Tues. March 3, 7 - 9 pm.
University College 15 King's College Circle, Room 256
Paul York, PhD. candidate in the Department for the Study of Religion at the University of Toronto, one of the Slaughterhouse Seven, and animal rights and environmental justice activist talks about the emerging Climate Vegan Movement. Free.
http://animalrightsacademy.org/lecture-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the mass deportation of thousands of immigrants on April 1st
Wed. March 4, 1 pm
MP Joe Oliver's office (Lawrence & Bathurst)
In a few short weeks, new regulations will come in to place that will effectively force thousands of migrant workers to leave the country or become undocumented. All low-waged migrant workers will have a 4 year limit on their stay in Canada starting April 1st. This is one of the final steps in concretizing a revolving door immigration system. Join us to deliver a Stop Deportations notice to MP Oliver.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1585616321651081

And please take 1 minute to sign this petition https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-mass-deportation-of-thousands-of-immigrants-on-april-1st

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mandatory fluoridation? Not in My Democracy!
Wednesday, Mar. 4, 7 – 9 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, committee room #4 (on the 2nd floor)
The Council of Canadians has taken a strong national position against fluoridation on the basis of evidence of health harm to young children and the downstream environment. Meet the people who are working to end fluoridation in Toronto. Learn why fluoride overdose from drinking municipal tap water is a health concern. Take action to let the leaders and legislators know that our municipal drinking water must be a protected public trust.
Hosted by the Council of Canadians (Toronto) Co-hosts: Citizens for a Safe Environment and End Fluoride Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Speak Up! Speak out! Feminist Voices for Change
Wed. March 4, noon - 2 p.m.
Ryerson University, Rm TRS 2119 (Ted Rogers School of Management)
International Women's Day (IWD) originated with the protest of women against exploitation in the factories. Celebrate IWD 2015 by joining feminist voices for change on justice for Indigenous + racialized + migrant women - to speak out- speak up - to resist, defend, organize.
For more info: policyevents at ocasi.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto International Bicycle Show
Fri. - Sun, March 6 - 8
Better Living Centre, Exhibition Place.
The largest bicycle consumer show in the world - The Toronto International Bicycle Show - has added three new exclusive events to its already popular line-up of activities. The show will feature the most up-to-date displays of new bicycles, accessories and apparel from over 150 manufacturers, distributors, retailers and other exhibitors. It's also the best place to discover the latest emerging trends for 2015 and beyond and enter special draws for great prizes. As well, the show gives back to the community by sponsoring BAM (Bicycle Assembly and Maintenance Program) and giving free space to over 20 Ontario cycling clubs and associates. By promoting cycling as a healthy lifestyle, the show helps the environment. Cycling conserves air, water and other natural resources while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and noise.
http://www.bicycleshowtoronto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

International Women’s Day
Rally, March and Community Fair
Saturday March 7
Rally 11 am - OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor Street W.
March 1 p.m. - from OISE to Ryerson
Community Fair 2 - 5 pm - Ryerson Student Centre, 55 Gould St. (near Dundas and Church)
http://bit.ly/1kzqUe7

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Get to Know Pan Am: The Displacement Behind the Spectacle
Saturday, March 7, 2 – 4 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W.  Rm 2211
Not sure what the Pan Am games are? Not sure why you might organize around them? Not sure what Pan Am has to do with mining injustice, migrant justice, poverty or privatization of public funds? Want to know more about how mega-sporting events cause displacement? The Pan American Games are coming to Toronto in July this year. We don't want to be spoilsports but we need to talk about what is happening beyond the spectacle. Mega-sporting events, like Pan Am, have consistently played a role in gentrification, mistreatment of migrant workers, heightened securitization, and the funneling of public money into private hands. This year the winners of these games will be awarded medals supplied by Barrick Gold, a company responsible for murders, sexual violence, violations of Indigenous sovereignty and interfering in democratic processes. Come learn more.
https://www.facebook.com/events/333140836892121

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Walking For The Freedom To Choose Peace
Saturday March 7, 1 - 5 pm
Trinity-St. Paul's United Church, 427 Bloor St. W, Fireside Room (Spadina and Bloor)
Jesse-Blue Forrest speaks to his vision of reclaiming Canada as a nation of peace before he begins his Peacewalk across Canada in May to promote the Campaign to Establish a Canadian Department Peace. He will speak on his life story, what led him to his life as a peace activist for 50 years, his vision of world peace and the Peace. The goal is to bring a greater awareness to Canadians about our opportunity to be a peace-leading nation.
www.departmentofpeace.ca
www.jesse-blueforrest.com
jesseforrest7 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun’s Annual Open House & Rent Party
Flavours and Sounds of Beit Zatoun
Sat. Mar. 7, 6:30 - 10 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
~Maryem Tollar Ensemble – traditional Arabic and original compositions
Waleed Abdulhamid, Naghmeh Farahmand, Demetri Petsalakis, Roula Said and Maryem Tollar
~Near East Ensemble – inspired Middle East music with jazz flavours
Samidha Joglekar, Ravi Naimpally and Demetri Petsalakis
~Roula Said and the Bellydance Choir Ladies – prepare to be surprised
and guest appearance by Elizabeth Block
http://beitzatoun.org/event/beit-zatouns-annual-open-house-rent-party/?mc_cid=06bd511a46&mc_eid=8320353111

Lambtonhouse.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Papayarama – Women’s Day Fair / Celebration
Sunday, Mar 8, 12:30 - 5 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Featuring a semi-experimental all-female live musical jam, under the musical direction of Mari Palhares, from Baque de Bamba. Primitiva Chiva Libre is a newly-formed feminist collective of Toronto musicians, artists and artisans working to build a network of talent and tools to support feminist artistic endeavors, social enterprise, and community work. Jams usually feature a wide cross-section of genres including maracatu, samba, reggae, cumbia, spoken-work and folk songs. Between sets – DJ Firecracker – spins her Tropical Vinyl. Also for sale: healthy snacks, arts and crafts, lotions and potions.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/primitiva-womens-day-fair-celebration/?mc_cid=06bd511a46&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

When Women Rule The Night
Sunday, March 8, 6 - 10 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
When Women Rule The Night is an artistic presentation done in collaboration by Power To Girls Foundation, R.I.S.E Movement, Spoke N’ Heard, Nia Centre for the Arts and Grassroots Youth Collaborative (GYC). An evening of powerful performances, captivating music and tantalizing art is designed to showcase young female artists within the GTA, in honour of International Women’s Day. We are actively encouraging young women to take centre stage on this day of empowerment, to share their art, story and message. The music, spoken word, live painting, dance and comedy will all be brought to you from the heart of this city’s powerful women.
6 – 7 pm - All-Female Dance Cypher
7 – 10 pm - All Female Poetr, Music Series and Performance Art Piece
Guest Speaker- Judi Lopes from Keep Rockn’ You. Music by DJ Afroditee
$10 Advance Tickets – $15 (at the door)
http://beitzatoun.org/event/when-women-rule-the-night/?mc_cid=06bd511a46&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Voices of Power: Grandmothers Creating the Future
Sun. March 8, 2 - 4 p.m.
Miles Nadal JCC, 750 Spadina (at Bloor)
Michele Landsberg, Angela Robertson, dbi.young and other remarkable women celebrate the power of grandmothers here and in Africa, shaping the future for their grandchildren and communities, as part of International Women's Day. Reception and silent auction to follow. $20. Proceeds to the Stephen Lewis Foundation.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/voices-of-power-tickets-14669473791

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Whole Village Ecovillage is offering its fifth annual Permaculture Design Course this summer from July 26 to August 8.  This 13 day intensive program combines theory and practical activities in a beautiful rural setting that demonstrates permaculture principles.  Through lectures, discussion, slide shows, field trips, and hands on learning, participants learn the basic permaculture design principles and develop the skills to design and implement sustainable systems.  Experienced teachers, delicious organic food, and immersion in the intentional community add to the benefits of the course. Contact Brenda at bdolling at hotmail.com for more information.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Theatre of the Oppressed
Monday, May 11, 6 - 9:30 pm
Greenpeace, 33 Cecil Street
This workshop is an introduction to improvisation exercises and August Boal's Theatre of the Oppressed techniques. Designed to encourage embodied learning, it will provide participants with consciousness-raising tools to help broaden understandings of social injustice and oppression. the use of interactive exercises will also help participants uncover and practice conflict resolution and community-building strategies and will focus especially on the importance of interpersonal communication skills, team-building, and empathy.
Register: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/theatre-of-the-oppressed-tickets-15597929828

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.