T.O. Greenspiration Events: Climate Vegan

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Apr 26 20:35:57 EDT 2015

---------------------------------------

Hot Docs - Canadian International Documentary Festival
April 23 – May 3
Various downtown theatres. Free before 5 p.m. for students and seniors over 60.
Recommended: Indian Point Nuclear plant http://bit.ly/1F7nhS5
http://www.hotdocs.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Gwynne Dyer Warns Climate Change Greater Global Threat Than Terrorism
The notion that Canada is under imminent threat from both ISIS and Putin’s Russia is Canadian fear mongering, Dyer said, adding that narrative serves to legitimize military action against foreign threats. This happens at the expense of international action on climate change, he said.
http://www.desmog.ca/2015/04/14/gwynne-dyer-warns-climate-change-greater-global-threat-terrorism

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reducing Traffic Deaths
The key to cutting traffic deaths, says Dr. Evans, is to focus more on driver behavior, which is the sole or partial cause of nearly 95 percent of crashes. That means reducing drunk, distracted, or sleep-deprived driving and, most important, preventing speeding. In addition, sensible traffic laws should be enforced on the basis of proven methods­ for instance, by speed-detecting radar and other technology used much more widely in some other countries.
http://bit.ly/1HIfTkQ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

George Lakoff: Framing progressive values and language to win the next election
54 min. podcast from the event in T.O. last week. Lakoff discussed the effect of political metaphors on individual identity, how progressive views can be communicated in a political sphere dominated by conservative messages, and how these lessons can be applied to the upcoming federal election.
http://rabble.ca/podcasts/shows/needs-no-introduction/2015/04/george-lakoff-framing-progressive-values-and-language-t

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What English Media Isn't Reporting About Quebec's Printemps 2015 Mobilizing
Big protests, nightly protests, unions and community groups on strike, so why is English media mum?
http://www.mediacoop.ca/story/what-english-media-isnt-reporting-about-quebecs-pr/33362

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Vietnam to ISIS: Canada needs to apologize
By  Matthew Behrens. Canada's culture of militarization (nothing new under Harper, only more exposed) is discomfiting to many, who long for the mythical era of Canadian "peacekeeping." One way of countering militarization is to understand our true history, accept it for what it is, make apologies, and make amends that are rooted not in empty rhetoric or charitable deeds, but in the restructuring of our society so that we no longer profit from the suffering of others.
http://rabble.ca/columnists/2015/04/vietnam-to-isis-canada-needs-to-apologize

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Top 10 reasons to go vegetarian
http://www.veggiechallenge.com/motivation/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Cycling Network Plan - Survey #1
A Majority (54%) of Toronto Residents Cycle. About 25% of us primarily cycle for recreation, and 29% of us cycle regularly for transportation. Then why doesn’t the city provide adequate safe facilities for us? The City of Toronto is asking residents and stakeholders "How can we improve Toronto's streets for cycling?". Please take the survey.
http://cityoftoronto.fluidsurveys.com/s/cycling-network/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join Ten Hours Against Terrorism, a Nonviolent Protest at CANSEC15
(aka Torturefest15/Terrorfest15), Canada’s largest weapons fair and host to some of the world’s worst human rights violators and torturers.  In Ottawa, May 27
http://homesnotbombs.blogspot.ca/2015/04/join-ten-hours-against-terrorism.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hey Enbridge: Put A Cork In It
Line 9 update by Rising Tide Toronto
http://bit.ly/1Gw6pHL

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Enforce Vanessa’s Law
Many Canadians, including medical doctors, are not aware of how dangerous and potentially deadly prescription drugs can be. Adverse drug reaction is the fourth leading cause of death behind heart disease, cancer and stroke. And 62% of people taking prescription drugs are not fully informed about the most serious side effects by their doctors, with 10% of people actually experiencing a serious adverse drug reaction. But this should change with the passing of Bill C-17, Protecting Canadians from Unsafe Drugs Act, which officially became Vanessa’s Law when it received Royal Assent on November 5, 2014. When Vanessa’s Law is enforced, it will be one of the strongest pieces of legislation in the world for protecting people from unsafe prescription drugs.
http://enforcevanessaslaw.ca/about-vanessas-law.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What did transit riders get in the ON budget?
The short answer is nothing now, the long answer is in the link: http://www.ttcriders.ca/what-did-riders-get-in-the-on-budget/
Take action this Monday April 27 with us.  We’re heading to Wynne’s subway stop at Yonge-Eglinton street level NW side from 8 am to 9 am to ask her to join us on the TTC and fairly fund public transit. We’re also going to other provincial ridings to encourage our provincial elected officials to ride public transit and fairly fund the TTC.
http://www.ttcriders.ca
http://www.ttcriders.ca/canvass-riders-on-april-27-for-fair-ttc-funding/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Let's talk PR (proportional representation) with the candidates - With Fair Vote Canada
Monday April 27, 7 pm
St Andrews Lutheran Latvian Congregation, 383 Jarvis St. (Jarvis and Carlton) Enter from Carlton Street
With a federal election coming up, we are out to get commitments from federal candidates of all stripes to support PR. Would you like to visit one of your own local candidates in a small “cabal” of fellow Fair Voters? According to our York U advisor, Dennis Pilon, this election is the best chance we’ve ever had to get PR! Several parties and candidates have promised to make getting a proportional system a priority. We are holding a workshop to help volunteers—50 have already committed to do a visit--prepare to meet  with our elected (or soon to be elected) representatives. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/lets-talk-pr-with-the-candidates-tickets-16631958636

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confront Barrick Gold
Tues. Apr. 28,  10:30–12:30 p.m.
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front Street W.
Every year, Barrick Gold gathers with their major shareholders and board of directors at their Annual General Meeting in downtown Toronto. And every year, we gather to support campaigns for justice, accountability, and a future for communities directly impacted by their mines. This company is responsible for the deaths, rapes, and abuse of people who have the misfortune of living next to their mines, and the destruction of these peoples' environments. Meanwhile, Barrick's Advisory board and board of directors includes some of the most prominent and corrupt political figures of our time. Come for music, speeches, street theatre, and food... but most of all, come to support and amplify the voices of communities affected by Barrick around the world.
http://lacsn.weebly.com/lacsns-7th-solidarity-month.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

True Stories Told Live
Tues. April 28, 6:45 pm
The Garrison, 1197 Dundas St W. (w. of Ossington)
It's spring! by the end of April, it'll hopefully be warm, too, so let's celebrate by warming our insides with some lovely true stories!
http://truestoriestoronto.com
http://facebook.com/groups/truestoriestoronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Evict Imperial: Stand With Secwepemc Women Warriors Society
Wed. April 29, noon - 2 p.m.
Toronto Stock Exchange
April 29th, is a national day of action called for by Secwepemc Women Warriors Society to demand the eviction of Imperial Metals and to stop the reopening of the Mount Polley Mine. Join organizers from MISN: Mining Injustice Solidarity Network and No One Is Illegal | Personne n’est illégal | Nadie es ilegal April 29th as we gather at the Toronto Stock Exchange, which facilitates the negligent practices of Canadian mining companies, to hold Imperial Metals accountable for the Mount Polley disaster.
http://mininginjustice.org/event/evict-imperial-stand-with-secwepemc-women-warriors-society/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No More Deaths! Emergency Rally in Support of Migrants Crossing the Mediterranean
Wed. April 29, 1:15 pm
Italian Consulate, 136 Beverly Street (Dundas & Beverly)
We are shocked and grieving at the daily news of hundreds of migrant deaths in the Mediterranean Sea. Nearly 2,000 people have died since the start of the year, a 1,000 of them just over the last two weeks. Join us to insist no more migrant deaths!
http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/944

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wast(ED): Community
Wed. April 29, 7 - 8:30 p.m.
Ralph Thornton Centre, 2nd Floor Auditorium, 765 Queen St E
Wast(ED), the Waste Education speaker series, features leading Toronto-based organizations and initiatives that are changing the way we reduce, reuse and recycle. Hear from innovative organizations that inspire people to come together, and support community-based waste reduction.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/wasted-community-tickets-16481658083

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public Forum With Leaders of Mexican Social Uprising - Ayotzinapa to Toronto
Wed. Apr. 29, 7 p.m.
Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Street (@ Gould), Library Lecture Theatre, Room 72.
On September 26, 2014, 43 Mexican student-teachers from Ayotzinapa were disappeared by Mexican state authorities in Iguala, Mexico. The resulting social movement has seen millions of people take to the streets in over 100 cities around the world. Now, for the first time, organizers from Ayotzinapa will be speaking in Toronto about their experiences, and calling for support.
https://www.facebook.com/events/813015278779207/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water
Wed. April 29, 3 p.m.
Daniels Spectrum 585 Dundas E,  MicroSpace, suite 240
Screening of the 2005 film by Deepa Mehta. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

‘Free’ Speech? The Social, Historical & Legal Context of Public Expression in the West
Wed. April 29, 7 p.m.
Auditorium, Noor Cultural Centre
Freedom of speech is considered a cornerstone of liberal democratic society.  The attacks on Charlie Hebdo in Paris in January have evoked furious proclamations about its sanctity – and some arguments about its limits, actual and/or desirable. $5
http://www.noorculturalcentre.ca/?p=13175

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pissed that the province intends to rebuild 10 of ON’s aging nuclear reactors?
Love to walk?
Need exercise?
Help us blitz mailboxes in Premier Wynne’s riding calling for a renewable future instead.
Thur. April 30, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Contact angela at cleanairalliance.org for deets.
www.cleanairalliance.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No More Goldcorp, No More Murders - Protest Goldcorp at their AGM
Thur. April 30, 2:30 - 4:30 pm.
Outside 130 Adelaide W.
Confront Goldcorp at their AGM and demand an end to human rights violations surrounding the mining company's operations. Free.
http://mininginjustice.org/event/no-more-goldcorp-no-more-murders-goldcorp-agm-memorial-march/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Vegan Teach-In
Thursday, April 30, 7-10 pm
Bahen Centre, B024, 40 St. George St., U of T
Join us for our 4th Climate Vegan Teach-In! We're continuing in our action-oriented phase with short, informative talks and video updates followed by break-out working groups and assemblies for our various art, climate veg pledge, social media, and other climate action initiatives. Please bring healthy, vegan snacks for all to enjoy and invite all your friends.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1584445288493590/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Maintenance and Repair Clinic for Absolute Beginners
Thur. April 30, 7:15 - 9:15 pm.
Beach Toyz, 1887 Queen E
Hands-on clinic to learn how to clean, lubricate and adjust your bike, how to make brake adjustments, tire pessure ratings, gear shifters and more. Wear old clothes and bring gloves.  $7.50.
Pre-register: info at beachtoyz.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May Day of Action
Friday, May 1, 5 pm
Starting at Nathan Phillips Square (Toronto City Hall) | Post-march performances & show at St. James Park
Coordinated by No One Is Illegal-Toronto, the Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network and the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty, with the participation of many of our allies, May Day is an anti-capitalist and anti-colonial declaration of resistance by communities in this city, with and without immigration status. March with us as we celebrate our our collective struggles, and unite with other movements to create a force that will boost our momentum and make us stronger!
maydaytoronto.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/402544829929205/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beyond GDP: Development Alternatives to Growth
Fri. May 1
Humber College
This 1-day symposium will explore alternatives to the growth paradigm that are multidimensional and integrated.
http://business.humber.ca/idisymposium/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spirited Climate Action: an Interfaith Dialogue
Fri May 1, 7 - 9 p.m.
Multifaith Centre, 569 Spadina, U of T
Dialogue and Q&A on the relationship between spiritual practice and climate action with Pir Zia Inayat-Khan, Gopa Patel and Dennis O'Hara. $10 or pwyc.
http://www.spiritedclimateaction.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane’s Walks
Fri. - Sun, May 1-3
Jane Jacobs called Toronto home, and so do we. Here, in our city of many distinct neighbourhoods and diverse cultures, we keep her legacy alive by walking together. Learn about Toronto’s feminist history, Railpaths, graffiti, watersheds, Island airport, Gardiner Expressway, complete streets, wild plant medicine, poor people’s history, green roof and green walls, labyrinths, and much more.
http://janeswalk.org/canada/toronto/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

30th Annual MayWorks Festival of Working People and the Arts
May 1 - 14
Various venues - theatre, ceremonies, workshops, tours, celebrations.
Aiming to provide a forum where arts-positive unionists and union-positive artists can create and dialogue, Toronto's Mayworks Festival has held its ground as an independent, grassroots, and community-oriented festival for thirty years. Mayworks continues to carve out a space for artists, cultural workers, and trade unionists working in a range of mediums to engage with the common struggles of artists and labourers.
http://mayworks.ca/festival-program/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayworks-Festival-of-Working-People-and-the-Arts/198895462105?sk=events&ref=page_internal

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May Day 2015 Public - Political & cultural evening
Sat. May 2, 6 p.m. onward
Steelworker's Hall, 25 Cecil Street
The United Mayday Committee's annual celebration of the international workers holiday. Join us for another lively evening of politics and culture. Free. Food will be served and there will be a cash bar.
www.facebook.com/events/641324629333859/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Walk the Line: Re-Claiming the Corridor for People, Not Tarsands
Sun. May 3, 1 p.m
Meet at the west end of the TCC parking lot at Hendon and Yonge (near Finch subway station)
Combining appreciation of nature with the reality of Line 9 and the rails carrying toxic oil across Toronto
Organized by Scarborough Bitumen Free Future (SBFF)
http://janeswalk.org/canada/toronto/walk-line/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Urban Forests
Sun. May 3, 2:30 p.m.
Northrop Frye Hall 73 Queen's Park Cres.
Illustrated talk by LEAF executive director Janet McKay. Free.
http://torontofieldnaturalists.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario’s Future – Nuclear or Renewable?
With Ian Fairlie, UK and Jack Gibbons, ON
Thur. May 7, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway, behind OISE)
We phased out coal. But now Ontario is moving forward with rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors (4 at Darlington and 6 at Bruce), locking us into nuclear for another 4 decades, endangering our Great Lakes and putting us all into deep debt.
Fortunately, there are lower cost and lower emission options to meet all our electricity needs in ON. What are the climate implications of nuclear vs. renewables? What are the dangers of nuclear power? What are other countries doing? Free, all welcome. Co-sponsored by Durham Nuclear Awareness, Greenpeace, Greenspiration, Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Ontario Sustainable Energy Association, Voice of Women for Peace
For more info: angela at cleanairalliance.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/676263785834355/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario’s Peace Leadership Summer Camp for Young Women
August 21 - 23, 2015. This summer the VOW (Voice of Women) Peace Building Connections Summer Camp will be held an hour outside of Toronto, surrounded by the Bruce Trail. Find out more and register here.
http://vowpeace.org/ontario-peace-camp/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: