T.O. Greenspiration Events: Speak the Change

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon May 25 00:37:27 EDT 2015

---------------------------------------

A New Kind of Climate Movement
http://350.org/jobsjusticeclimate-video/?akid=6797.1793187.OXlTuX&rd=1&t=1

---------------------------------------

March for Jobs, Justice and the Climate
On Sunday July 5, we’re taking to the streets of Toronto to call for a justice-based transition to a clean energy future. From Alberta to the coasts, people are ready to build an economy that reflects our values, creates good jobs, and protects the air, land and water.
Join the action. Click here. http://jobsjusticeclimate.ca/?source=350

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Month
May 25 – June 25
A celebration of cycling in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area with hundreds of community events including rides, races, tours, festivals, and more.
http://www.bikemonth.ca/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

T.O. Bike Survey
Later this year, City staff will bring a new 10-year cycling network plan forward to City Council. Our goal is to ensure that our core ask of building a city-wide Minimum Grid (http://minimumgrid.ca/) of 100 km of protected bike lanes and 100 km of bicycle boulevards by 2018 is included. The first part of the City's process is an online survey. Take their survey now! http://www.torontocyclingnetwork.info/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

5 years ago cyclist Darcy Allan Sheppard was slain by a high profile motorist who was never tried. This new documentary film examines how, and why. They’re asking for your support.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/production-of-das5-feature-video-documentary#/story

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike to Work Group Commute & Pancake Breakfast
Mon. May 25
Join the Group Commute at 7 a.m. from various start points around the city. At 7:30 a.m. we'll converge Yonge & Charles & ride to Nathan Phillips Square for a free pancake breakfast.
http://www.bikemonth.ca/events/260?location=all-locations

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Impact Ontario - Invest for Impact in World-Changing Social Ventures
Mon. May 25
MaRS Discovery District
The 2nd ImpactOntario conference is a landmark conference that brings world-changing Ontario ventures together with world-leading investors and intermediaries. Designed to support deal flow and impact investing opportunities through pitch sessions, one-to-one meetings and plenary panels, ImpactOntario aims to increase capital directed to profitable ventures with a scalable, sustainable impact.
http://bit.ly/1Esj2PW

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Media Coop-New Contributor's Meeting
Monday, May 25, 6:30pm - 8 pm
Harvest Noon, 16 Bancroft Ave (U of T)
A fun and interactive orientation to grassroots media in Toronto, the work that the Toronto Media Co-op does and how you can contribute! Refreshments & snacks provided. The meeting will start with a new members orientation including a talk about what exciting things we’ve covered in the past for those who aren’t familiar with the TMC.  If you're into writing, photography, video, sound recording, illustrating, editing, reading, social media, event planning, fundraising or just plain talking to people... there's a place for you with the TMC! All levels of experience are welcome.
http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Get Away to the Greenbelt
Tues. May 26, 6 – 11 p.m.
Artscape – Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street
An Evening in support of TEA’s work to preserve and expand Ontario’s Greenbelt. A Celebration of Local Food, Drink, and Entertainment. $100
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/greenbelt_getaway

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to build the right info graphic & easy-to-use tools to make your own sharable images
Tuesday, May 26, 6 - 9:30 pm
U of T campus, exact location to be emailed to participants
In the first half of this workshop we’ll look at the range of online infographic and shareable image types that you can use to amplify your campaign or group's messages. We will also explore which types of infographics will be the most useful depending on your goals and what information you want to impart. During the second half of this workshop we’ll look at 3 easy-to-use online tools that will help the non-graphic designer create professional shareable images.
http://bit.ly/1FOC4rd

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rebels in Action: Workers in the Food Production Line Fight for their Rights
Tuesday, May 26, 7 - 10 pm
Ryerson Communication Centre, 80 Gould St, rm204
Justicia 4 Migrant Workers (J4MW) invites you to attend this ground breaking film series of documentaries. Food Chains (2014), about the Florida-based Coalition of Immokalee Workers’ boycott campaigns which have won remarkable improvements in wages and conditions for Florida farmworkers. Panelists: Representative from the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (via Skype); Representative from Justicia for Migrant Workers and Craig Berggold, PH.D. candidate, Cultural Studies, Queen's University, President of PSAC 901, former Canadian Farmworkers Union organizer. Free.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1624834431065255/
http://www.foodchainsfilm.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Divestment 101 Series for Faith Communities
Wed. May 27, 3 - 4 pm (EDT): Addressing Trustee Concerns
Webinar series to learn how Canadian faith communities are grappling with the moral, financial and practical questions around divesting from fossil fuels.
http://fossilfreefaith.ca/divestment-101-series-for-canadian-faith-communities/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chart Your Reproductive Health
Wed. May 27, 7 - 9 pm
Are you having trouble getting pregnant or have had a miscarriage?  Do you have irregular cycles?  Have you been told you have "unexplained" infertility?  Research shows that many women & men suffer from infertility due to hormone-disrupting toxins, improper diagnosis as well as nutritional deficiencies. Cycle charting combined with orthomolecular medicine can:
-Restore fertility   -Restore hormone balance   -Track ovulation's peak day   -Achieve or postpone pregnancy
-Rebuild nutrient imbalances  -Address PCOS, PMS & pain   -Address adrenal and thyroid functions   -Increase sperm count
http://bit.ly/1cdH4rl

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Art and Activism
Wednesday, May 27, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
From arpilleras, the appliques of Chilean women, to youth drama in the slums of Nairobi, from First Nations in Canada to Cambodian human rights activists, to the apartheid walls of Palestine and refugee camps in the Sahara, banners to murals, from buttons to bumper stickers; using visual art, theatre, music and poetry, art has the power to express the human passion for peace, rights, equality and dignity. Theresa Wolfood takes us on a tour of many art forms created all over the world that show how creativity can inspire action and hope. $5.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/art-and-activism/?mc_cid=764a199d8f&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lake Ontario Evenings - Beaches Edition
Wed. May 27, 6 - 9 .m.
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen St. W
Summer is almost here! Join us to learn that you don’t have to travel far to spend the day at the beach! Toronto has some of the best beaches in the world, as verified by the Blue Flag program.  This Lake Ontario Evening – Beaches Edition will highlight the Blue Flag program, current research on beach water quality, and management actions that are being implemented to ensure our beaches remain world class destinations. Free
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/lake-ontario-evenings-beaches-edition-tickets-16712599836

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wast(ED): Clothing
Wednesday May 27, 7 - 8:30 pm (doors 6:30 pm)
George Brown College School of Fashion, 160 Kendal Avenue, Room E321
Wast(ED), the Waste Education speaker series, features leading Toronto initiatives that are changing the way we reduce, reuse, and recycle. Hear from leaders bridging the gap in clothing creation, consumption, sharing, and repairing at our second discussion Wast(ED): Clothing. Free
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/wasted-clothing-tickets-16677828835

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NoJetsTO website launch and 2 year anniversary
Wednesday, May 27, 7 p.m.
Studio Bar, 824 Dundas St W.
Join NoJetsTO and special guests for a party as we mark our 2nd anniversary and the launch of our new website. Let’s get together, celebrate and chat about the fight ahead
http://www.nojetsto.ca/rsvp/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tambogrande: Mangoes, Murder, Mining
Wed. May 27, 7 p.m.
Koffler House (569 Spadina Ave), Room 108
Join us for a free film screening followed by discussion with guest speakers Ulises Garcia, a human rights activist and community leader from Tambogrande, Perú; and Caren Weisbart from the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network. In 1999, the residents of Tambogrande, a small town in northern Peru, learned that the government had secretly granted mining concessions on their land to a multi-national corporation. The residents of Tambogrande organized The Defense Front to protect their town. The directors follow the Tambogrande residents' five-year-long struggle to thwart the Peruvian government's connivance with corporate plans that would despoil their land and destroy their livelihoods. A Cinema Politica Screening.
http://on.fb.me/1bOfgJQ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ten Hours Against Terrorism, a Nonviolent Protest at CANSEC15
aka Torturefest15/Terrorfest15, Canada’s largest weapons fair and host to some of the world’s worst human rights violators and torturers
Wed. May 27, all day, Ottawa
http://homesnotbombs.blogspot.ca/2015/04/join-ten-hours-against-terrorism.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stories of Courage and Hope from the Frontlines of Mexico’s Human Rights Crisis
Wed. May 27, 6:30 - 9 p.m.
Thomas Lounge, Oakham House, Ryerson University, 55 Gould Street
Amnesty International presents a talk by Ángel Colón Quevedo and Luis Tapia Olivares.
https://www.facebook.com/events/704697652973332/
http://aito.ca/spider_calendar_block_events?block_id=0&date=2015-05-27

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Carbon Bubble: What Happens to Us When It Bursts?
Book Launch with Jeffrey Rubin
Fri. May 29,  5:30 - 7 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave., U of T
A discussion and Q&A with author and economist, Jeffrey Rubin, addressing Canada’s national economic future and the financial security of all Canadians. Free event but registration required
http://alumni.innis.utoronto.ca/event/carbon-bubble

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Economy Perspectives
Bruce Lourie on Reinventing Sustainability
Friday, May 29, 5 - 6:30 p.m.
Connector Room, Ground Floor, CSI-Spadina, 215 Spadina Ave.
Sustainable development, environmental justice, climate change. Each is a frame on the most complex systemic challenges our species has ever faced. Over the past 30 years however we've proven adept at achieving global economic growth while our various sustainability challenges have become more dire. Some now contend we need to shift to a new economic system altogether. Bruce Lourie argues that it’s still possible to work within what we've got, and this is reflected in the Ivey Foundation's initiatives which exemplify this philosophy, including the foundation’s latest direction on economy and the environment.
Free but RSVP required to rsvp at sustainabilitynetwork.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unite 4 Our Rights! @StopC51 - Solidarity Rally and March
Sat. May 30, noon
Queen’s Park (College and University)
Bill C-51 is a threat to our rights and freedoms. Join the Solidarity rally in Toronto in a support of the National Convergence in Ottawa or get on the bus and go to Ottawa to show that we are here to stand up! Enough is enough! Bill C-51 is part of a long string of initiatives to expand the government’s security powers and signals a dramatic new direction for Canadian security. Presented as anti-terror legislation, Bill C-51 creates excessive over reaching powers for security agencies, that will harm online innovation, political discourse, and our civil liberties.
https://www.facebook.com/events/834473133295705/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Speak the Change - Spoken Word and Social Activism
Sat. May 30, 2:30 - 4 p.m.
Harbourfront Centre 235 Queens Quay W, Studio Theatre
Discussion led by Jamaican dubpoet and reggae artist Yasus Afari with panelists El Jones, Jessica Care Moore, Scruffmouth and Spin. Part of the South-North Griots Summit. Free.
http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane Jacobs: Urban Wisdom
Sat. and Sun. May 30 and 31, 6 p.m
Cineforum, 463 Bathurst
Jacobs shares her insights into urban planning in this 2004 film by Don Alexander. $20
http://reghartt.ca/cineforum/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CineCuba
Sat. and Sun. May 30 and 31, 2 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Royal Theatre, 608 College
Festival of films showing the mosaic of history, art, music, sport and daily life in Cuba. First 200 seats free.
https://www.universe.com/events/cinecuba-2015-tickets-toronto-LY952

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sunday
Sunday May 31, noon - 7 p.m.
Kensington Market (Dundas to College, Spadina to Augusta)
Pedestrian Sundays don't permanently change the streets, they forever change the way you perceive them! See you in the streets!
http://www.kensingtonmarketbia.com/pedestrian-sundays-in-kensington-market.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

6th Toronto Veggie Parade
Sunday, May 31, 1 p.m.
The parade will depart from Christie Pits Park, and travel to the Pedestrian Sunday in Kensington Market.
http://www.veggieparade.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bring It On! Non-Violent Communication Deepening Workshop
Sun. May 31, 10 am - 5 pm
Downtown Toronto​
www.facebook.com/events/629959063772669/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&sid_create=578315686

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reconciliation Walk
Sun. May 31, 2 p.m.
Toronto Council Fire Native Cultural Centre, 439 Dundas Street E.
As the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is coming to an end in Ottawa on this day, whether Indigenous or non- Indigenous, young or old, everyone is invited to come out and support reconciliation as an ongoing journey and 'Walk for Justice'.
https://www.facebook.com/events/376437345889687/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tiananmen + 26  Rally and March
Sunday May 31
7 pm - Chinese Consulate, 240 St. George Street
8 pm - Candlelight Vigil, Hart House Circle, U of T
Toronto Association for Democracy in China and Federation for a Democratic China (Canada)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jack Layton Summer Leadership School 2015
Building Skills for Change. A unique opportunity to develop your leadership capacities for transformative change.
June 12, 13,14, 20, 21
Learn more about content and how to register here:
http://rememberingjacklayton.ca/r-u-layton-chair/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Get Trained by Al Gore July 9/10 in Toronto
Interested in being personally trained by former US Vice President Al Gore to give climate change presentations highlighting the risks of inaction and the incredible benefits of creating a green economy? Free.
Apply here: http://bit.ly/1PNsAf3

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: