T.O. Greenspiration Events: Reclaim the Streets

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jun 14 23:12:31 EDT 2015

---------------------------------------

The changing face of progressive Canada
They’re mostly young and they’re all disgusted. Ahead of the next federal election, a new generation of political lobbyists are preparing to toss Prime Minister Stephen Harper out of office. After nine years, they’ve had enough. But they bring more than a uniform dislike of Harper and his cabinet cronies and their policies; the new progressives possess sophisticated tools, tactics and followers and they’re ready to mount a serious challenge to the Conservatives come next election.
http://nationalobserver.com/2015/06/04/news/changing-face-progressive-canada

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bloor Loves Bikes Campaign Pledge
Bloor St is an ideal east-west cycling route that could form a spine for Toronto's bicycle network. Residents and other groups continue to call for safety improvements on this popular cycling route. Various studies have documented the health, affordability, traffic, climate, and business benefits of a greater role for cycling in this area and around our city. We, the undersigned, therefore support a pilot bicycle lane on Bloor St for implementation by early 2016 and the inclusion of bicycle lanes on Bloor in the City’s 10-year cycling plan. Sign here:
https://www.cycleto.ca/bloor-loves-bikes-campaign-pledge

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Senate passes C-51. What now?
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/behind-numbers/2015/06/senate-passes-c-51-what-now
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/krystalline-kraus/2015/06/controversial-anti-terrorism-bill-c-51-passes-this-not-end-

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Government of Canada: Build a "Truth and Reconciliation Memorial" in Ottawa's Judicial Precinct - Petition
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Government_of_Canada_Build_a_Truth_and_Reconciliation_Memorial_in_Ottawas_Judicial_Precinct/?egJRvjb

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

10 reasons why we need a moratorium on new tarsands development
http://www.oilsandsmoratorium.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why cigarette butts threaten to stub out marine life
Why don't we have butt cans at every bar? Why do smokers think it's ok to toss their butts onto the sidewalk or street? It's not just a littering issue - cigarette filters are made up of tiny pieces of plastic capable of causing untold damage to fish life.
http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jun/09/why-cigarette-butts-threaten-to-stub-out-marine-life

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

dandyhorse – Toronto on Two Wheels
Summer is here! The season of blue skies, green grass, and uhm... construction zones?
http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4e6d2244218bb8912470c0395&id=26c1033387&e=a8da9b02ea

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Introducing New Rules to Protect Pollinators
Regulations to Reduce Neonicotinoids Effective July 1 2015
Great news: Ontario today confirmed restrictions on bee-killing neonic pesticides will be in effect on July 1. The government plans to reduce the number of acres planted with neonic-treated corn and soy by 80% by 2017. It's not perfect -- the new regs do allow some neonic use. But the 80% reduction target is a huge first step and represents the first regulatory restrictions on neonics in North America.
http://www.news.ontario.ca/ene/en/2015/06/ontario-introducing-new-rules-to-protect-pollinators.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------]

Here's what it would take for the US to run on 100% renewable energy
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/9/8748081/us-100-percent-renewable-energy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Seeking a room-mate to share bright quiet 2nd floor apartment in a two story corner house on Vaughan Rd. near Oakwood.  Close to transit, great bicycle routes to downtown. Large comfortable bedroom. Wood floors, lots of windows. $600 inclusive, June 1st, 15th, or July 1st.  Furnished (or can be unfurnished if you prefer). No pets.  Parking available.  Contact Lyn Adamson 416-731-6605, lyn.adamson9 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Interesting audio interview with Judy Rebick
Q: Any advice for young feminists? A: a) Don't be so polite, stand up, and b) ideology blinds you. If you don't make mistakes, you're not going to change the world. We're going to have differences. We have to be kind to each other.
http://vowpeace.org/listen-to-this-interview-with-judy-rebick-honorary-board-member-of-vow/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Month
May 25 – June 25
A celebration of cycling in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area with hundreds of community events including rides, races, tours, festivals, and more.
www.bikemonth.ca/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sugar Coated
60 min. documentary. How did the food industry get us to stop asking the question: is sugar toxic? It all starts with a secret PR campaign dating back to the 1970s. For forty years, Big Sugar deflected all threats to its multi-billion dollar empire, while sweetening the world's food supply. As obesity, diabetes, and heart disease rates skyrocket, doctors are now treating the first generation of children suffering from fatty liver disease. The sugar industry is once again under siege. They dodged the bullet once. Will they do it again?
http://tvo.org/video/213607/sugar-coated

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Speaking Panel in support of the Chippewas of the Thames First Nation court challenge to NEB approval of Enbridge's Line 9 pipeline
Mon. June 15, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther
Join hosts Rising Tide Toronto in welcoming a panel of speakers from Chippewa of the Thames First Nation (COTTFN) and other front-line community members (the eve before we pack the court and rally outside in support of COTTFN)! Chippewas of the Thames First Nation is appealing the National Energy Board’s approval of Enbridge’s Line 9 pipeline which runs through southern Ontario and is set to carry tar sands diluted bitumen east for export.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1443472499306330/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Workers' Rights Forum – Fight for $15 and Fairness
Monday June 15, 7 pm
United Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil St.
The provincial government has just launched the first-ever review of Ontario’s labour laws. Come to this forum to learn about your legal rights as a worker and let's talk about how we can fight together for better wages and employment standards for all working people. Don’t leave it up to employers and the government to decide what your rights should be, get involved locally in the $15 and Fairness Campaign. We demand a $15 Minimum Wage and Fairness at work, including decent hours for decent incomes, paid sick days, and respect at work. Hosted by Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Services and endorsed by the Fight for $15 & Fairness, Access Alliance, OPSEU Region 5, Steelworkers Toronto Area Council, and West Toronto Community Legal Services
http://15andfairness.org/take-action/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Refugee Health Cuts
Monday June 15, noon
74 Victoria Stree, the office of the Immigration and Refugee Board
Please join us for the fourth annual Day of Action against refugee Health Cuts. The Federal Government continues to deny health care coverage to vulnerable refugee groups. Numerous national health care organizations, artists, faith based groups and even provincial health ministers have publicly condemned the cuts. The Federal Court of Canada found the cuts to be a violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and forced the government to rescind the cuts. Unfortunately in Nov 2014, they introduced a new program that did not restore previous coverage to refugees and refugee claimants. They are also appealing the Federal Court decision to take away the coverage for pregnant women and children that they were forced to restore.
www.doctorsforrefugeecare.ca/day-of-action-june-15-2015.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Milk
Monday June 15, 1:00pm
Wednesday June 17, 6:30pm
Saturday June 20, 11:00am
The Revue, 400 Roncesvalles Avenue
Through an intimate and artistic lens, yet investigative and political, Milk brings a universal focus on the politics, commercialization and controversies surrounding birth and infant feeding over the canvas of stunningly beautiful visuals and poignant voices from around the globe. Entertaining, inspiring, informative, provocative and sensitive, Milk celebrates a new life with a strong call to action and reflection.
http://revuecinema.ca/movies/articles/2015/docs-in-revue-presents-milk---meet-the-director

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CodeBlueTO & #GardinerEast Team Boulevard social meet-up
Mon. June 15, 7 - 11 p.m.
The Keating Channel Pub & Grill, 2 Villiers St.
After Thursday's city council vote on the Gardiner East, we may have lost this round of the debate. But the fight for a spectacular waterfront with a Grand Boulevard is far from over. The issue may still come back to council, and still must complete the provincial Environmental Assessment process. Come out and join CodeBlueTO and other citizens who believe a better city is possible with a Grand Boulevard and a people's plan for our waterfront. Let's talk about what the next steps are, and how we can continue to work towards a better city for everyone. This is not a formal meeting, but a chance to meet socially and get to know each other better. There will be many other opportunities to meet in the coming months.
https://www.facebook.com/events/781308908653508/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No Line 9 without consent: Court Support for Chippewas of the Thames First Nation Appeal
Tuesday, June 16, 9:30 a.m. pack the courts, 11 a.m. court support rally outside with speakers and performers
180 Queen Street W, 7th floor
Chippewas of the Thames First Nation is appealing the National Energy Board’s approval of Enbridge’s Line 9 pipeline which runs through southern Ontario and is set to carry tar sands diluted bitumen east for export. The Chippewas court case centers on the lack of consultation with the community on the reversal project which crosses through the First Nation’s reserve and would massively impact its land and water in the case of a spill. Please come out to show your support for Chippewas of the Thames First Nation, their legal appeal, and their right to free, prior and informed consent.
https://www.facebook.com/events/706501579458858/716836955091987/

Also, sign this petition Demand the NEB respect Indigenous rights - support Chippewas of the Thames First Nation
http://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/demand-the-neb-respect-indigenous-rights-sign-to-support-chippewas-of-the-thames-first-nation

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Big Debate: Transit Operations or Infrastructure expansion?
Tuesday, June 16, 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Cody Hall, St. Paul's Bloor Street, 227 Bloor Street East
Keynote: Diane Francis - Journalist. With panelists: Jennifer Keesmaat - Chief Planner, Toronto; Bruce McCuaig - CEO, Metrolinx; Adam Giambrone -  Exec. Transit Director, City of Milwaukee; Stephen Damp - Ellis Don; and Jim Tully - Munro Ltd.  $100
http://bit.ly/1HGBbAa

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The People of Kattawapiskak River (2013, 76 min)
Tuesday June 16, 6:30 pm and
Wednesday June 17,  2 pm
Annette Street Public Library, 145 Annette Street
It is October 2011, and 1,700 Kattawapiskak Cree are living in dreadful conditions at minus 40 degrees in Northern Ontario, along James Bay.  This film examines the history and causes of the housing crisis that exists in this, and many, First Nations communities.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ecoloodi: Water4All
Tuesday, June 16, 6 - 9 pm
Center for Social Innovation, The Annex (Bloor and Bathurst)
Join us for a very special event organized for the International African Children Day. The Water4All event will feature a panel of water experts, live music, dance, food, a silent auction and… The Water Brothers. This will be a fun evening to meet and mingle with members of the water community.
http://ecoloodi.org/en/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Ravines and Urban Forests
Tues. June 16, 6:30 p.m.
Lillian H Smith Library 239 College
Visual presentation by author Jason-Ramsay-Brown. Free.
Visit ravines.to for info on the book.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Female Eye Film Festival
June 16 - 21
Royal Cinema, 608 College (and other venues)
Provocative and controversial shorts, documentaries and feature films as seen through the eyes of women directors.
http://www.femaleeyefilmfestival.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TTCriders Awesome 2015 Annual General Meeting
Wed. June 17, 5.15pm - 8.30pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto, ON
TTCriders is a public transit advocacy group that gives transit riders a voice. We are transit users who want more and better public transit in Toronto. The push for affordable, accessible, reliable public transit is getting stronger every day.  That means we are very busy and we'd value your contribution as a volunteer or board member. Learn more at our AGM. With keynote speaker Naomi Klein.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ttcriders-awesome-annual-general-meeting-tickets-16756800040

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sustainability CoLab: CoLab Connects 2015
Wed June 17, 6:30 - 9 pm.
Artscape Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie Street
Join us for Colab Connects 2015: Sustainability CoLab’s first annual reception. We’ll be celebrating progress of our Network and sparking conversation on what is needed to accelerate the low carbon economy in Ontario. Free.
http://sustainabilitycolab.org/colabconnects2015

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Downtown East Women Reclaim the Streets
Rally and March to End Violence Against Women and Gender Based Violence
Wednesday, June 17, 5:30 pm Community Meal & Music; 6 pm Rally; 6:30 pm March
Regent Park Community Health Centre, 465 Dundas Street East
*Kid friendly *Free meal *Wheelchair accessible rally space & march *TTC Tokens Available *Our feminism is trans inclusive! Every year we march in the Downtown East neighborhood of Toronto in memory of Carolyn Connolly and to honour too many other women, friends and family, that we have lost over the years. We march against the many daily occurrences of violence on our streets – the targeting of homeless, street-involved, sex working and Indigenous women, two-spirit and trans folks. We march to demand better – an end to this violence and better housing, support and services that everyone deserves. Since last year’s march we have also WON our demand for 24 hour women and trans drop-in centres – so Reclaim the Streets 2015 will also be about celebration. Help us celebrate our community, all that we have won and will win together!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1424994391154510/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Time for Change: Public forum on the state of our democracy
Thursday, June 18, 7 p.m.
OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor St. W, Toronto
Free tickets at time4change-toronto.eventbrite.ca
It’s been nine years of job losses, health care privatization, falling wages, and environmental neglect. It’s time for change. Join a compelling line-up of speakers to learn how you can inspire democratic participation in your community:
	• Maude Barlow, National Chairperson, Council of Canadians
	• Jerry Dias, National President, Unifor
	• Jim Stanford, Author, Economist & Founder, Progressive Economics Forum
	• Ritika Goel, Family physician & health justice activist
	• Michael Blais, President and Founder, Canadian Veterans Advocacy
	• Annie Bradley, Award winning film and television director
Learn how you can inspire democratic participation in your community. Together, we can choose a government that creates good jobs, invests in public health care, addresses climate change, and so much more. This event is organized by the Council of Canadians in partnership with Unifor.
http://canadians.org/event/toronto-public-forum-state-our-democracy

Event followed by:
Door-to-Door Democracy: Canvassing Workshop
Saturday, June 20, 11:30 a.m.
United Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Join us for this fun hands-on workshop on how to increase voter turnout in the upcoming federal election, followed by some door-to-door canvassing.
Info: canadians.org/event/toronto-public-forum-state-our-democracy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Authoritarianism and Dissent
Thur. June 18, 6 - 9 p.m.
OISE, Room 5150, 252 Bloor W.
Science for Peace panel discussion with author Laura Westra, anthropologist Richard B Lee, First Nations activists Vanessa Gray and Linzey Gray and SfP's Judy Deutsch. Free.
http://scienceforpeace.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Sex Lives of Plants
Thur. June 18, 6 - 9 pm.
High Park Nature Centre 440 Parkside
Learn about 50 shades of green at a nature workshop for adults.  $30. Pre-register.
Learn about 50 shades of green at a nature workshop for adults. 6-9 pm. $30. Pre-register.
http://highparknaturecentre.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leading Change: Olivia Chow
Thur. June 18, 6:30 p.m.
Spoke Club, 600 King W
The former mayoral candidate shares her story of starting life in Canada as an immigrant to becoming an artist, activist, city councillor and federal Member of Parliament. $25. Pre-register.
CivicEngagement at kpwa.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Official Plan Review: Results of Public Consultations, Revised Environmental Policies and Proposed Designation of Environmentally Significant Areas
The Open House will be held:
Thursday, June 18, 6:30 pm - 9 pm (Staff presentation at 7 pm)
Rooms 308-309, Metro Hall, 55 John Street (SE corner John and King Streets)
As a leader in environmental initiatives, and a city with abundant wildlife and green space, Toronto must adopt policies and strategies that preserve our natural environment and endorse sustainable urban living. This means recognizing and protecting the city's many important and sensitive natural areas, and strengthening the environmental guidelines put forth in Toronto's Official Plan.
On July 8, 2014, Toronto City Council considered proposed draft changes to the Official Plan's environmental policies and designation of the city's Environmentally Significant Areas (ESAs). These revisions were the focus of considerable public consultation between October-December of 2014, and feedback gathered from these discussions prompted further policy modifications by staff. These changes, including the designation of 68 new ESAs and the expansion of 14 existing ESAs, will provide the basis for further public consultation at an Open House this month. This Open House will provide a critical opportunity for civic input and open dialogue regarding Toronto's environmental policy revisions. To review the proposed policy changes, and for more information on the Toronto Official Plan Review and public consultation to date, visit toronto.ca/planning/environment

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Complete Streets Toronto Open House
Thur. June 18, 6 pm.
Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor St. (near Yonge and Dundas)
The City is developing Complete Streets Guidelines to provide a holistic approach to how we design our streets. Complete streets are designed to consider the needs of all users, such as people who walk, bicycle, take transit, or drive, and people of varying ages and levels of ability. To learn more about the emerging guidelines and provide feedback to City staff, please visitwww.toronto.ca/completestreets

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trick or Treaty?
Thur. June 18, 6 pm
Palmerston Library, 560 Palmerston Avenue
Trick or Treaty? (PG, 2014, 85 min.) A special Q&A follows with acclaimed filmmaker and director, Alanis Obomsawin. This documentary follows the journey of Indigenous leaders in their quest for justice as they seek to establish dialogue with the Canadian government. By tracing the history of their ancestors since the signing of Treaty No. 9, they want to raise people's awareness about the issues that concern them: respect for and protection of their lands and their natural resources, and the right to hunt and fish so that their society can prosper. In recent years, an awareness-raising movement has been surfacing, such as the Idle No More movement. Indigenous youth are mobilizing in increasing numbers to put an end to inertia. This film gives those who refuse to surrender a chance to speak out. Also screening, short film "How to Build an Igloo" (1949, 11 min)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Art Spin
Thur. June 18, 6:30 - 9 p.m.
Trinity Bellwoods Park, 790 Queen W
Bicycle tour of art in Toronto with screening of new film by artist Leslie Supnet, an interactive installation from the No. 9 Eco-Art-Fest, a new musical work by John Oswald and more. 6:30-9 pm. Adv $5, limited cash tickets available on a first-come, first-served basis.
http://www.artspin.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Factory Farms and the Environment
Thur. June 18, 7 - 8 p.m.
North York Central Library 5120 Yonge
Sonia Faruqi will read from her book Project Animal Farm and discuss the effects of factory farms on the environment and animal welfare. Book sale and signing to follow. Free. .

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous Arts Festival
Thur. - Sat. June 18 - 20
250 Fort York Boulevard
Festival of traditional and contemporary music, dance, theatre, storytelling, spoken word, visual arts, crafts, and food created by indigenous artists. Free.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=8d6b07c0a5f16410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Who’s Doing What About Climate Change in Toronto?
Fri. June 19, 2015 - 6 – 9 pm
Council Chambers, North York Civic Centre
Diverse Toronto-based climate change groups present brief overviews of what they are doing about climate change, with panel/audience Q&A session following. FREE - All welcome. We have at least 12 very active climate change groups ready to participate, including Step Up Canada, ClimateFast, Live Green, Citizens Climate Lobby and more.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/whos-doing-what-about-climate-change-tickets-17175195472

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NoJetsTO Boat Protest
Sat. June 20, 1 p.m.
HTO Park (on the waterfront)
Come out on land or sea with NoJetsTO and join our #Kayaktivists in sending a message: NOJETS on our waterfront!
http://www.nojetsto.ca/boatprotest?utm_campaign=june_indiegogo2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nojets

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

OM T.O. Yogathon
Sun. June 21
Distillery District
Celebrate the longest day of the year with eight outdoor 40-minute yoga classes and music by DJ Medicineman. Bring a yoga mat. 9 am-5 pm. Free.
http://omto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Capitalism versus Ecology
Sunday, June 21,  2 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
We Need to Change Everything – Resistance and Alternatives with Guest Speakers: Jodi Dean, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, New York; “We Are Seneca Lake” anti-fracking struggle. Free.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/capitalism-versus-ecology/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Na-Me-Res Traditional Outdoor Pow Wow at Fort York
Sun. June 21 - Grand Entry, 12 Noon; Gala Concert, 6 p.m.
250 Fort York Boulevard
Native Men’s Residence Traditional Pow-Wow is held to recognize National Aboriginal Day, June 21st, the Summer Solstice. The event features traditional dancing, drumming, feast, giveaway, kids area, dozens of craft vendors, and Indigenous food. Free.
http://bit.ly/1dFuiCW

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of Delight
Sun. June 21, 2 - 5 pm.
Dufferin Grove Park, 875 Dufferin (s. of Bloor)
Clay & Paper Theatre's 13th annual summer solstice celebration of love and courtship features dance, theatre, storytelling and more. $10 or pwyc.
http://clayandpapertheatre.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Attend a Climate Reality Training with Al Gore
With Al Gore. July 9-10. Toronto.
Free. Deadline to apply June 18.
http://climatereality.ca/presentersTraining.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jobs Justice and Climate rally in Toronto July 5th
Sign up here: jobsjusticeclimate.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/438675142973059/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Radical Nonviolence: a Camp for Young Peacemakers
August 24th - 30th
Camp NeeKauNis (130 KM north of Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay)
Canadian Friends Service Committee (Quakers) is thrilled to announce that from August 24th to 30th, 2015 we will be gathering at Camp NeeKauNis to build community and share skills on these topics and more. Radical means “rooted” and this camp will help us all to discover and strengthen our roots in nonviolence. This is an exciting opportunity, bringing together a number of extremely skilled facilitators with experiences building nonviolent direct action strategies in Canada, serving on Christian Peacemaker Teams in conflict situations like Iraq, working in prisons using Alternatives to Violence Program and much more. The camp will involve brief presentations (no more than 30 minutes at a time) and a lot of group work, discussions, role plays, and interactive learning. The camp is open to anyone over the age of 16. Non-Quakers are welcome! The full fee for the week of camp including all meals and accommodation in a cabin is $525.
quakerservice.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: