T.O. Greenspiration Events: Rise Up T.O.

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Jul 7 14:38:18 EDT 2015

Hi T.O. friends. Despite my pronouncement that I’d be taking the summer off from doing this list, here’s a round-up of good events to share with you. Mark your calendars. - a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Watershed

July 7 – 19

Berkeley St. Theatre

The Environment. The Economy. The country at a crossroads. Encountering leading freshwater scientists, government officials, activists and business leaders along the way, The Watershed captures Canada in a moment of acute political reflection in an increasingly polarized landscape.

http://bit.ly/1JMAKpV

.

---  ------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

#RiseUpTO // The Storm is Coming: Pan Am Economic & Climate Summits
Wed. July 8, 7 am.
Meet at Berczy Park, 55 Front St.
Surround the Royal York. March up Bay Street
On July 8th, the Pan American Economic and Climate Summits will meet at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. That morning, the elites in this city will welcome with open arms some of the people most responsible for destroying our planet, pushing communities out of their homes, and making us poor. We will be there to give them a different sort of ‘welcome.' On the morning of July 8th, we will come together rise like the swell of the ocean; and surround the Royal York Hotel. Together, we will assert our dreams of better worlds. Free Breakfast!
https://www.facebook.com/events/562140067258155/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Camera Atomica

July 8 – Nov. 15, Art Gallery of Ontario, Dundas and St. George

Groundbreaking AGO exhibition tracing the photographic legacy of “the bomb” and nuclear energy

http://bit.ly/1JHKxef

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do the Math Movie Screening + Workshop

Thur. July 9, 6 – 8 p.m.

Bahen Centre, Rm 1160, U of T, 40 St. George

http://bit.ly/1JMARSq

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Critical Mass Ride for Transport Justice!
Fri. July 10, 6 p.m.

Parkette at Bloor and Spadina

We’ll take to the streets calling for transport justice – people-friendly streets, car-free streets, bike lanes, bike parking, wider sidewalks, stricter enforcement and penalties for dangerous drivers and idlers, lower speed limits (30 km/h max in cities), Vulnerable Road User (VRU) legislation, cleaner air, stable climate, rewards for non-motorized commuters, improved mass transit, electrified rails, down with the Gardiner, parks not parking lots, less asphalt more greenery, higher gas prices to reflect costs (smog, climate chaos, acid rain, roads, health care, policing)... Stop the car-nage! We demand people-friendly streets and clean air: transport justice. Bring on the pedal powered revolution. Climate justice. Sustainable cities. Together we’ll ride to the car-free-people's-picnic-block-party at the People’s Social Forum for music, food, community and politics.

https://www.facebook.com/events/108818569460506/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

People's Picnic Block Party

Fri. July 10, 4:30 - 9 p.m.

St. James Park (King and Jarvis)

Music, food, community, politics.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1667153263517977/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Yes Men Are Revolting

Fri, Jul 10 8:45 p.m.

Sat, Jul 11 7:15 p.m.

Sun, Jul 12 9 p.m.

Wed, Jul 15 8:45 p.m.

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

Activist pranksters take on climate change.

http://bit.ly/1J2EJct

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peoples Social Forum, a counter summit

Sat. July 11, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Forum, 7:30 – 9 p.m. Panel

Ryerson Engineering Building, Church and Gould

I’m doing a workshop on nukes vs. renewables at 11:45 a.m. Come!

https://www.facebook.com/events/625405217562434/

www.peoplessocialforum.org/torontopsf <http://www.peoplessocialforum.org/torontopsf>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Strangest Dream
Free screening and discussion
Tues. July 14, 6:15 - 8:15 pm
Annette Branch Library,145 Annette St.
The anniversary of the first detonation of an atomic bomb is July 16th. The film The Strangest Dream "is the story of Joseph Rotblat, the only nuclear scientist to leave the Manhattan Project, the U.S. government’s secret program to build the first atomic bomb. His was a decision based on moral grounds. The film retraces the history of nuclear weapons, from the first nuclear test in New Mexico (July 16, 1945), to Hiroshima, where we see survivors of the first atomic attack. Branded a traitor and spy, Rotblat went from designing atomic bombs to researching the medical uses of radiation. Together with Bertrand Russell he helped create the modern peace movement, and eventually won the Nobel Peace Prize.
 He was integral to the founding of Pugwash. Featuring interviews with contemporaries of Rotblat and passionate public figures including Senator Roméo Dallaire, The Strangest Dream demonstrates the renewed threat of nuclear weapons and encourages hope through the example of morally engaged scientists and citizens.” On January 22 ’15, “the symbolic doomsday clock moved to three minutes before midnight ... because of the gathering dangers of climate change and nuclear proliferation, signalling the gravest threat to humanity since the throes of the cold war.” It’s time to talk.
http://green13toronto.org/event/strangest-dream-free-screening-and-discussion

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Inside Tracking the Energy Revolution - Global 2015 Webinar

Tues. July 14, 2 p.m. EST

What are the 10 most significant investment, policy, technology, and societal trends and developments that both defined and propelled the worldwide shift to clean energy in 2014?

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3052548111051574530

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Anarchist Bookfair
July 18 - 19
torontoanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com/ <http://torontoanarchistbookfair.wordpress.com/>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Action - Lobbying, Election and Paris' Panel

Mon. July 20, 7 – 9 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther

http://bit.ly/1RiLbpu

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In harm’s way: How the Energy East pipeline puts Canada’s climate and water at risk

Wed. July 22,  7 – 9 p.m.

1101 Sanford Fleming Building, 10 King's College Rd, U of T

TransCanada is proposing to build the largest ever tar sands oil pipeline: Energy East <http://environmentaldefence.ca/issues/tar-sands/energy-east> . Find out why we should all care about this major threat to our water and our climate, and what you can do about it.

http://bit.ly/1NLKBKz

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Your Water Footprint - With Stephen Leahy
Wed. July 22, Toronto – 7 pm
North York Central Library
http://yourwaterfootprint.me/2015/05/20/upcoming-events-and-appearances/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

4th annual Toronto Vintage Bicycle Show
Sunday July 26, 10 am -5 pm
Trinity Bellwoods Park (Queen and Strachan)
This is a shine and show event. So, if you have a vintage classic that’s been sitting in your garage or basement for the last little while, this is your chance to shine it up and show it off to the world! Vendor space is available for merchants; $65 for retail vendors, $35 for individuals. Otherwise, this is a FREE event organized by the Community Bicycle Network.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-toronto-vintage-bicycle-show-tickets-16220126836

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sunday

Sunday July 26 and Aug. 30, noon - 7 p.m.

Kensington Market (Augusta between Dundas and College)

Pedestrian Sundays don't permanently change the streets, they forever change the way you perceive them! See you in the streets!

http://www.kensingtonmarketbia.com/pedestrian-sundays-in-kensington-market.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Critical Mass Ride

Fri. July 31, 6 p.m.

Meet in the parkette at Bloor and Spadina

Take to the streets en masse - All 2-wheelers invited (and bladers and boarders)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bikes vs Cars
July 31 – August 6, daily
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W. (at Bathurst)
With over a billion cars worldwide, climate change and never-ending gridlock are a grim reality, but can we change our cities? Director Fredrik Gertten (Big Boys Gone Bananas!*) investigates the daily drama of traffic worldwide and the bicycle as a tool for change. Travelling from São Paulo, Los Angeles and Toronto, where cyclists fight daily for their right to the road, to Copenhagen, where forty percent of the population commutes by bike, Gertten meets activists and thinkers who are working for revolutionary changes. Beautifully crafted, Bikes vs Cars is an intimate and powerful look at how to move away from car-centric models and toward livable cities. Director Fredrik Gertten will participate in Q&As on Friday, July 31, at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, August 1, at 12:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=41878~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0 <http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=41878~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&> &

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ground Zero to Global Zero: Hope After 70 Years
Thur. August 6, 6:45 – 8:45 p.m.
The Church of the Holy Trinity, 10 Trinity Square, Toronto (west side of the Eaton Centre)
An Hiroshima/Nagasaki Day Toronto Coalition event marking the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Free.
http://hiroshimadaycoalition.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Vegan Food and Drink Festival
Sat. Aug. 8, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Fort York Garrison Common
Join us for an all vegan experience featuring comfort food, craft brews, wine and spirits! We are proud to support local vegan artists and will showcase live entertainment by Marico Novelli, Meghan Morrison, Matt Kadovich, Dream Awake, Hot Apollo and Midnight Lemonade. Stand-up Netflix comedian, Myq Kaplan, will also present a very special act.  This is a 19+ event.
http://www.veganfestto.com/
https://www.facebook.com/events/847204501993864/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Streets TO
Sunday August 16, 9 am – 1 pm.
Sunday September 6, 9 am – 1 pm.
Bloor, between Spadina and Parliament, and Yonge, between Bloor and Queen
Open Streets are programs where the streets are opened to people and closed to cars. People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become “paved parks” where people of all ages, abilities,and social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds can come out and improve their health. Open Streets TO is focused on promoting physical activity and exploring our city in healthy and fun ways.
http://www.openstreetsto.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Help us plug Ontario into low-cost power from Quebec

Ontario is embarking on a costly and dangerous plan to rebuild 10 aging nuclear reactors. Tell our provincial leaders NO to nuclear and YES to water power from Quebec and other renewables. Please sign my petition, which also sends an email to all provincial political leaders, thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/kathleen-wynne-import-safe-and-low-cost-quebec-water-power

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Environment Minister Leona Aglukkaq – don’t let OPG dump nuclear waste on the shore of Lake Huron
Please sign the petition
http://action.sumofus.org/a/lake-huron-nuclear-waste/?akid=11369.1002063.FtPivR <http://action.sumofus.org/a/lake-huron-nuclear-waste/?akid=11369.1002063.FtPivR&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=2> &rd=1&sub=fwd&t=2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In the 2015 NOW Reader’s Choice poll, I’ve been nominated in the Best Activist Category, and Ontario Clean Air Alliance, the group I work with to cancel the 10 nuclear reactor rebuilds, has been nominated in the Best Enviro Group category. Please vote. Lots of great categories and nominations.

http://bestof.nowtoronto.com/2015/subcategories.cfm?category=159

---------------------------------------
Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca <mailto:greenspiration at web.ca>
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: