T.O. Greenspiration Events: Live Earth

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 8 22:05:23 EST 2015

---------------------------------------

New Government: New Hope for Peace
Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) lists their 12 priorities for the new government. Send your letter to our new Prime Minister,  Justin Trudeau today.
vowpeace.org/new-government-new-hope-for-peace/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the Bombing
To quote Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Forces are STILL whipping out their CF-18s to get in as many killer bombing runs as possible. Send a quick email to Mr. Trudeau to STOP THE BOMBING, and urge him to live up to a commitment he made on his first day as PM-designate when he called Obama and said he would be ending the mission. He has no excuses not to issue an immediate order to ground the war planes and begin the process of ending the bombing campaign.
http://pm.gc.ca/eng/contactpm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Should Canada do business with Saudi Arabia?
4 min. CBC radio story. Michael Enright looks at The Kingdom's abysmal human rights record, and the growing volume of trade between the two countries.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell the PM to freeze tarsands expansion and commit to to a justice-based transition to a clean and renewable energy economy
http://act.350.org/sign/tar-sands-freeze/

Thanks to all the activists who risked arrest outside the PM’s residence this week to call for decisive climate action.
http://climatewelcome.ca

And congrats to all of you that contributed to bringing down the Keystone XL pipeline - truly a citizen victory!
http://350.org/president-obama-rejects-keystone-xl-we-win/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canada's enviro minister Catherine McKenna has big green agenda
http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/11/04/news/canadas-enviro-minister-catherine-mckenna-has-big-green-agenda

And her title is Minister of Environment AND Climate Change, which signals that climate change will be a big priority
http://www.desmog.ca/2015/11/04/meet-canada-s-new-environment-minister-catherine-mckenna

And Kirsty Duncan, new Minister of Science, is a climate scientist and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change author
Dear Minister of Science: Here's What Canada Needs to Get Back on Track
http://www.desmog.ca/2015/11/04/dear-minister-science-here-s-what-canada-needs-get-back-track

The 15 Female Cabinet Members Appointed By Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
When asked why gender parity in the Cabinet, Justin answered simply "Because it's 2015". And it's about time.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/04/female-cabinet-justin-trudeau_n_8471908.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fixing what Harper broke: A to-do list for the incoming government - By Elizabeth May
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/elizabeth-may/2015/10/fixing-what-harper-broke-to-do-list-incoming-government

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Obama Rejects Construction of Keystone XL Oil Pipeline
Incredible victory for citizen climate activists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/us/obama-expected-to-reject-construction-of-keystone-xl-oil-pipeline.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TPP - Why So Secret?
Justtin Trudeau - Allow ordinary Canadians to comment on the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal. Petition.
http://chn.ge/1Oy1mxf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rename the Largest Tar Sands Toxic Effluent Reservoir "The Stephen J. Harper Tailings Dam”
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/575/559/617/rename-the-largest-tar-sands-toxic-effluent-reservoir/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

LEAP Manifesto
We could live in a country powered entirely by renewable energy, woven together by accessible public transit, in which the jobs and opportunities of this transition are designed to systematically eliminate racial and gender inequality. Caring for one another and caring for the planet could be the economy’s fastest growing sectors. Many more people could have higher wage jobs with fewer work hours, leaving us ample time to enjoy our loved ones and flourish in our communities. Read more and sign the leap manifesto:
https://leapmanifesto.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Send a Message to Premier Wynne to modernize emergency plans around nuke plants
Replacing risky nuclear plants with renewable energy is the best option to protect public safety. But as long as there are nuclear plants operating in Ontario, you must ensure the public is protected in the event of an accident. A Greenpeace petition.
http://bit.ly/1NDkFny

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What is a walkable city?
5 min. video by 8-80 Cities
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv-lzCTkUhE

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How do SSRIs cause violence and suicide?
“The antidepressants now come with black box warnings of suicide and in some jurisdictions such as Canada they come with warnings of violence also. Exactly the same mechanisms that lead to suicides lead to violence. In one case you have violence directed inward, and in the other directed outwards. These mechanisms are akathisia, emotional blunting and psychosis.” Dr. David Healy
http://wp.rxisk.org/lessons-from-ssristories-3-of-5-how-do-ssris-cause-violence-and-suicide/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rendezvous With Madness
Film Festival - A Trip For Your Psyche
Nov. 6 - 14
TIFF, Bloor, Workman Theatre
http://www.rendezvouswithmadness.com/2015-film-schedule/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Suffragette
Cineplex (Yonge-Dundas) and Cineplex Varsity (Bloor-Bay)
The early efforts at resistance were passive but as the women faced increasingly aggressive police action, the suffragettes become galvanized - risking their very lives to ensure that women's rights would be recognized and respected.
http://www.cinemaclock.com/ont/toronto/movies/suffragette-2015/showtimes

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Drug Strategy 10th Anniversary
Mon. Nov. 9, Forum noon - 1:30, info fair 1:30 - 3 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Council Chambers (Queen and Bay) Please join us in celebrating the 10th anniversary of Toronto’s Drug Strategy, our municipal action plan for alcohol and other drugs. The event will profile key achievements over the past decade and highlight current and future drug policy priorities for Toronto.
http://www.ohpe.ca/node/16978

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bolsheviki - a dead serious comedy
A reading of David Fennario’s play
Mon. Nov. 9, 7 - 9 p.m. (Show 7:30)
Imperial Pub, 54 Dundas E.
Bolsheviki is the story of a young reporter and his encounter with a veteran of the Battle of the Vimy Ridge in a bar in Montreal on Remembrance Day. What follows is a part of the secret history of Canada. A history in which not everyone was ready to die for "God, King and Country", a history in which voices of dissent are brutally silenced, a history that is yearly whitewashed in the rhetoric of "supreme sacrifice".
https://www.facebook.com/events/652276181581242/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cannabis Without the Hot Air
Mon. Nov. 9, 7 p.m.
Munk School of Global Affairs, 1 Devonshire Place (U of T)
A conversation with two global thought leaders on cannabis research and policy, featuring Dr. Jürgen Rehm and Dr. David Nutt. Hosted by the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cannabis-without-the-hot-air-tickets-18853530417

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Merchants of Doubt
Free film screening and discussion
Tuesday, Nov 10, 6:15 - 8:15 pm
Annette Library, 145 Annette Street
In this thought-provoking documentary, "documentarian Robert Kenner (Food, Inc.) investigates the shadowy work of professional skeptics, whose services are bought and paid for by corporations, think tanks, and other special interests to cast doubt and delay public and governmental action on climate change. He traces the birth of the doubt industry to the 1950s, when tobacco companies began fighting the perception that cigarettes are harmful. Those efforts succeeded for decades, and have been replicated as a model for climate-change denial. Kenner profiles key climate skeptics, uncovering their credentials and motivations. He shows how they navigate the media, think tanks, and government circles.
http://www.green13toronto.org/event/merchants-doubt-free-screening-and-discussion

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Vibrant Main Streets and the Power of Local
Tues, Nov. 10, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
519 Church St.
Learn from experts about how local communities and businesses can work together to revitalize local economies and provide opportunities for all. Talk to the innovators. Learn about alternative tenancies for small enterprise, business in the box (container conversions), micro markets, doing business in a park and much more.
http://bit.ly/1PwGzsB

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Innovating for Healthy Urbanization
Tuesday November 10, 5 p.m. followed by reception
Desautels Hall (2nd floor,south building), Rotman School, 105 St. George Street
Public forum with 3 public health experts. The case studies identify wide-scale health challenges facing a rapidly urbanizing planet -- including key concerns in nutrition, health status, health care, and safety -- and strategies toward possible solutions.
http://bit.ly/1PwGCVs

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Co-Creation and Anti-Poverty Media
Tues. Nov. 10, 7 - 9 p.m.
Rogers Communications Centre at Ryerson, Eaton Lecture Hall, 80 Gould, Rm 204, Ryerson
Interactive lecture with Alex Abramovich and Cathy Crowe about how community accountability, dialogue and co-creation can work between activists, artists and homeless community members. http://www.studioformediaactivism.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Internet Ecosystem, Multistakeholder Governance and the IANA Transition
Wed. Nov. 11, UC 144, 15 King's College Circle, U of T
A Science for Peace event.
http://bit.ly/1kjqziu

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care About the Sharing Economy?
Wed. Nov. 11, 7:30 pm.
The Rose and Crown, 2335 Yonge
Discussion on the rapid rise of the "sharing economy" (services like Uber and Airbnb) and the ensuing policy implications and opportunities. Free.
http://whyshouldicare.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

They Want Us To Forget: Criminalization and Canada’s Resource Wars
Wed. Nov. 11, 6:30 - 9 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
On this Remembrance Day, join the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network in asking: Why are some wars institutionally remembered while others are swiftly erased from Canadians’ collective memory? Can the complex forces of criminalization, militarization, surveillance, physical violence, and administrative violence that are enacted against Indigenous, campesino, and Afro-descendant communities in the name of Canadian economic interests be understood as a war? And if so, how can we fight the mechanisms that make us forget the causes and impacts of these wars? At this panel, exhibit, and memorial event we will have the honour of hearing four important stories (including from two international guests) from the frontlines of Canada's many resource wars.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1005815862772030/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Asking for it - The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture - and what we can do about it
Thur. Nov. 12, 7 p.m.
Another Story Bookshop 315 Roncesvalles
Launch of a book by Kate Harding.
http://www.kateharding.info

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Syria Film Festival unites art and social justice
Fri. - Sun, Nov. 13-15
AGO, 317 Dundas Street W
www.SYFF.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

After Paris: Politics, Climate Change and Labour
Fri. Nov. 13, 4:30 - 8 pm
Kruger Hall, 119 St George St (U of T)
An International Panel organized by Adapting Canadian Work and Workplaces to Respond to Climate Change and Work in a Warming World research programmes.
http://tcan.ca/event/after-paris-politics-climate-change-and-labour

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making the Connections: Envisioning a Healthier Toronto
Fri. Nov. 13, 5:30 - 8 pm.
519 Church Street Community Centre
The Wellesley Institute presents the relaunch of the popular social determinants of health exhibit Making the Connections. There will also be five-minute talks on improving accessibility for social inclusion, access to healthy food, improving access to public greenspace and more. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/making-the-connections-envisioning-a-healthier-toronto-tickets-18982272488

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth
Fri. - Sat, Nov. 13-14
The world will come together to demand our global leaders act on climate change and set us on the path to a better future. With the Climate Reality Project.
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/24hoursofreality

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Live Earth - 24 Hours of Reality - The World is Watching
Nov. 13-14
Online
Join us for a day to make climate change history. Come together to demand our global leaders act on climate change and set us on the path to a better future.
https://www.climaterealityproject.org/24hoursofreality

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Reality - Coffee and Brunch
Sat. Nov. 14, 8:30 am - noon.
General Hardware Contemporary, 1520 Queen W
Drop-in watch party for 24 Hours of Climate Reality and Live Earth, a global day of action and music to address climate change.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winning Change at City Hall
Sat, Nov. 14, 1 - 4 pm
252 Bloor Street West
How does City Hall work? Can I actually create and win a campaign at the municipal level? What are all these committees and deputations? Come to find answers to these questions and many more.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/winning-change-at-city-hall-tickets-12481300907

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSol Chocolate Workshop
Sat, Nov. 14, 3 - 5:30 pm
1131 St. Clair Ave W
Come discover ChocoSol and learn about our chocolate making process - artisanal, ecological, ethical, wholesome. This chocolate workshop provides interactive bean-to-bar chocolate education, a tour of the production kitchen, and hands-on ingredient preparation. Participants will also receive a guided tasting through a variety of our eating and drinking chocolates. Be prepared to indulge in decadent chocolate that is delicious and nutritious. Feel good about the chocolate that you’re eating!
https://www.universe.com/events/chocosol-chocolate-workshop-tickets-toronto-F19JV5

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Spirituality of Social Justice
Sat. Nov. 14, 8 p.m.
Convocation Hall, 31 King's College Circle, U of T
Henri Nouwen Society lecture by Jim Wallis (president & founder of Soujourners). $20.
http://henrinouwen.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dangerous Ideas - Reimagining the Commons in the 21st Century
Sat. Nov. 14-15
Daniels Spectrum, 585 Dundas E.
Dangerous Ideas is a festival combining music, art, and critical conversation which challenges our underlying assumptions and invites us to shift our thinking so we can shift our world. This year, we will talk about place and property, and explore the relationship between the Commons and the State. 0 - $50.
http://dangerousideas.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane Jacobs: Urban Wisdom
Sun. Nov. 15, 5 p.m.
Cineforum, 463 Bathurst
Screening of the film about the urban writer/activist by Don Alexander. 5 pm.
http://reghartt.ca/cineforum/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

100% Possible
On Sunday November 29, be a part of the action in Ottawa on the eve of the Paris Climate Summit, where we will tell our new government that a 100% renewable economy is 100% possible! Environmental Defence is organizing buses from Toronto to Ottawa. Sign up here.
http://www.100possible.ca/project/toronto/
There will also be a march in Toronto. Stay tuned for deets.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: