T.O. Greenspiration Events: Climate solutions, justice and action

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Nov 23 15:23:08 EST 2015

---------------------------------------

What’s really at stake at the Paris climate conference now marches are banned
by Naomi Klein
http://bit.ly/1MxZBwJ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Three Big Moves toward a 100% Renewable Energy System for Canada
http://climateactionnetwork.ca/2015/11/18/three-big-moves-toward-a-100-renewable-energy-system-for-canada/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Trudeau to Support Refugees
https://www.change.org/p/i-welcome-refugees

Prime Minister Trudeau: Bring refugees to Canada, don't listen to the voices of hate and fear
http://bit.ly/1kQ9OM9

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Paris Package that Shows Canada Cares
By Canada's Climate Action Network
http://1605070727.rsc.cdn77.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Road-Map-to-Paris-Final.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trans-Pacific Partnership deal "an act of climate denial"
http://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/11/10/news/trans-pacific-partnership-deal-act-climate-denial

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Order Free KI Anti-Thyroid Cancer Pills
KI anti-radiation pills are now available to all residents living within 50 kilometres of the Pickering Nuclear Plant. That includes all of Toronto, Scarborough, Etobicoke, the east side of Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, Uxbridge, and more. Print the poster and post them in your office, library, coffee shop, campus bulletin board, community centre etc.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/KIposter.pdf

To find out more and to order your free KI pills, do so here.
https://preparetobesafe.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pocket Guide to Non-Toxic Dry Cleaning
by TEA (Toronto Environmental Network)
http://bit.ly/1NnIscJ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Born Into Brothels
Beautiful 2004 Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyXFr2g1x8

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Lanes on Bloor Make Sense
5 min. video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L77QQv08fgo

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nirbhaya, a play by Yaël Farber
Nov, 18 - 29
Harbourfront Centre Theatre
Nightwood Theatre in association with Amnesty International present Nirbhaya, a play inspired by the true events that occurred on the night of December 16, 2012, when a young woman and her male friend boarded a bus in urban Delhi heading for home. Written and directed by the internationally acclaimed Yaël Farber, with an extraordinary cast and creative team, Nirbhaya (Hindi for “Fearless”) is a tapestry of personal testimonies, which tears away the shame that silences survivors of sexual violence.
http://bit.ly/1IbjPrX

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Haida Gwaii: On the Edge of the World
Nov. 20 - Dec. 16
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
Here, in one of Canada’s most precious natural spaces, battle cries are rising as the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline spills directly into the surrounding area—going against the ethos of the community and threatening the environment.
http://bit.ly/1MQE4we

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

100% Renewable Energy Gala
Mon. Nov. 23, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
At Steamwhistle, 255 Bremner Boulevard
Environmental Visual Communication, EVC is a Fleming College post-graduate certificate delivered out of the Royal Ontario Museum and this year’s Gala focuses our attention on an evening of storytelling and visual communication.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/100-renewable-by-2050-tickets-19332978459

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disarming Conflict: Why Peace Cannot be Won on the Battlefied
Book Launch by Ernie Regehr
Mon, Nov. 23, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham Street
https://btlbooks.com/book/disarming-conflict
info at btlbooks.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Art Exhibition
Mon, Nov. 23, 5 - 8 pm
Metro Hall, 55 John Street
This art show is by a group of women, mostly women from shelters, homeless or in the danger of being homeless.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stand up for transit
Mon. Nov. 23, noon
Did you know the TTC is considering ANOTHER fare increase of up to 25 cents per ride in 2016?
http://www.ttcriders.ca/stand-up-for-transit-on-november-23/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

An Evening with Barbara Ehrenreich: Inequality in the United States
Mon. Nov. 23, 7 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave
http://munkschool.utoronto.ca/event/19303/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Help us bring a refugee family to Canada
Tues. Nov. 24, 6 – 9 p.m.
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas W.
We are Westside Refugee Response and we want to help welcome a Syrian family to Canada. We know Canadians have big hearts and don’t want to see anyone left out in the cold. Just a little bit makes a big difference so come on out and be part of the solution. Silent auction, speakers, performers. PWYC
https://www.youcaring.com/help-us-sponsor-a-refugee-family-457159
https://www.facebook.com/events/875790105803573/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sprawl Brawl (Round One) - Agriculture vs. Housing
Tues. November 24, Doors open: 6:30 p.m., Gloves off: 7 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, U of T
Join us for an evening of insight and lively debate with panelists. Free.
http://action.environmentaldefence.ca/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=4654

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Popular Social Movements: From Colombia to Argentina
Tuesday November 24, 7 - 9 p.m.
Story Planet and Intergalactic Travel Authority, 1165 Bloor Street West
Join us for an evening on social movements of the South against mega extraction. From the Congreso de los Pueblos (People’s Congress) in Colombia - a social and political movement made up of youth, students, peasants, Afro-Colombians, Indigenous people, women, urban dwellers, and workers - to Patria Grande, a popular movement, political and social front launched in 2014, formed by a number of organizations in Argentina. Both movements unite in the fight against multinational oil and mining extraction, such as that in Arauca, Colombia and in San Juan, Argentina.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1644607305828325/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Science for Peace: Midwifing Change, Midwifing Peace
Wednesday, Nov. 25, 7 - 9 pm
Room UC 144 University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
Attend this lecture led by LeeAnn McKenna the Executive Director of Partera International. Free.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/midwifing-change-midwifing-peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Warming Futures and Local Impacts
Wed. Nov. 25, 7 pm
24 Spadina Road
A month before the Convention on Climate Change (COP21) in Paris, Richard Peltier will review the scientific evidence from a global perspective and discuss the recent work focusing on the expected impacts of global warming on the Great Lakes Basin and more generally in Ontario.
www.alliance-francaise.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TTCriders 2nd Annual Fundraising Rendezvous
Wed. Nov. 25, 7 - 9 p.m.
Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander Street (near Yonge and College)
Join us for a rollicking evening of transit-related fun and fundraising.
Music, speakers, prizes, food. $15 - $25
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ttcriders-2nd-annual-fundraising-rendezvous-tickets-18903258154

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Consent: HIV Non-Disclosure and Sexual Assault Law - Toronto Screening
Thurs. Nov. 26, 7 - 9 pm
Jackman Hall, AGO, 317 Dundas Street W
Please join the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network and Goldelox Productions for the Toronto premiere of the ground-breaking new documentary film. Consent discusses why HIV non-disclosure has been prosecuted as sexual assault and how, together with feminist scholars and those working to end violence against women, we can challenge this problematic legal framing which affects all people living with HIV.
www.aidslaw.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Webinar: 2015 Report of the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario
Thur. Nov. 26, 1 - 2 p.m.
This webinar will update you on the highlights of the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario’s newest Annual Report. Each year, the Commissioner’s Annual Report examines how ministries are meeting their stewardship responsibilities for Ontario’s water, air, plants, animals and other natural resources. Ellen Schwartzel is the Acting Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, the province’s independent environmental watchdog. Join us for this one-hour webinar including Q and A. Free.
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4233511562671102209

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stolen Lives: The Indigenous Peoples of Canada and the Indian Residential Schools
Thurs, Nov. 26, 7 pm
ROM, Signy and Cleophee Eaton Theatre, 100 Queen’s Park
Drew Hayden Taylor will mark the launch of this ground-breaking new educator resource. Taylor’s presentation will weave performances of vignettes from his play, God and the Indian, with storytelling and a historical narrative on the topic of the Indian Residential Schools in Canada. Presented by Facing History and Ourselves in partnership with Native Earth Performing Arts Inc.
RSVP to 416-901-3831 or Jeannette_Slater at facinghistory.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Taking Control of Mood Disorders
Thur. Nov. 26, 7 - 9 p.m.
FitzGerald Building, U of T, Room 103, 150 College Street
Attend to better understand the range of mood disorders and their potential root causes. Discover how nutrients, diet and lifestyle can help to prevent and manage depression, anxiety and other mood disorders. Finally, we will cover how to approach the members of your health care team to integrate orthomolecular and other treatments into a recovery plan. Presentation by Dr. Aucoin. $20
https://www.orthomolecularhealth.com/event-registration/?ee=21

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jaguar Chocolate Workshop
Thur. Nov. 26, 6:30 pm - 9 pm
1131 St Clair Ave West
Join our Production Team for a hands-on chocolate making workshop. Attendees will grind and mold jaguar chocolate, learn about the ingredient process, and enjoy a guided tasting and talk.
https://www.universe.com/events/chocosol-jaguar-chocolate-workshop-tickets-toronto-QKXZJ

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Talk Transformation! Transportation: Low Carbon Mobility in Toronto
Thurs, Nov. 26, 7 - 8:30 pm
Scarborough Civic Centre, Council Chambers, 150 Borough
Drive Community leaders share their ideas to reduce emissions from transportation, the largest source of greenhouse gas emission in Toronto.
http://bit.ly/1Kb2u24

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Women Fighting for El Barrio, the Community and Another World
Film Screening and Talk with Movement for Justice in El Barrio
Thursday November 26, 6:30 p.m.
OISE, Room 4414, 252 Bloor Street W.
Movement for Justice in El Barrio was founded in 2004 by immigrants and low-income people of color of East Harlem to fight for dignity and against neoliberal displacement. A majority- women of color organization, Movement operates on a commitment to self-determination, autonomy, and participatory democracy.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1702672599951990/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Definitive Noam Chomsky - Requiem for the American Dream
Nov. 26, - Dec. 5
Bloor Hot Docs, Bloor and Bathurst
Get the inside scoop from the brilliant and notorious intellectual Noam Chomsky in Requiem for the American Dream, his final long-form documentary interview, filmed over four years. Widely regarded as one of the most important thinkers alive, Chomsky takes on the unprecedented level of inequality gripping the U.S. with his signature cool and devastating intellectual power. Chomsky unpacks the principles that have brought us to this moment, when U.S. Democratic candidates speak freely against "the one percent" to great applause and the Occupy movement makes headlines rallying against an ever-more-visible concentration of money and
power. Tracing a half-century of policies designed to favour the wealthy at the expense of the majority, Chomsky provides penetrating insight into what may well be the lasting legacy, and undoing, of our time.
http://bit.ly/1HiHqMs

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winter Bike Party
Friday Nov. 27, 7 pm
BikeSauce, 341 Broadview
CBN (Community Bicycle Network) and BikeSauce are having a party to share the love of cycling in Toronto. There will be beer, a musical guest, lots of door prizes, refreshments, and bike accessories available for sale as well as some special guests who will highlight the successes cycling has had this year in Toronto.
http://www.communitybicyclenetwork.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cities for Life
Friday, Nov, 27, 6 pm
St James Cathedral at King St E and Church St
James Lockyer, Director of the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted, will host. Other speakers include Amnesty Canada's Alex Neve, John Artis (co-accused with Rubin Hurricane Carter), and former Iranian death row inmate Hamid Ghassemi-Shall. If you have questions about the event, please email Aubrey Harris at DPACoordinator at amnesty.ca
http://bit.ly/1IbjPrX

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Symposium on Housing and Harm Reduction
Fri. Nov. 27. 1 - 5 pm
Church of Holy Trinity,  19 Trinity Square
Presentations by student researchers include : existing models of housing and how these can be adapted to serve people who use drugs, housing for and aging population who use substances, social enterprise options as part of harm reduction housing. This event will be of interest to people who use drugs and to anyone who works with marginalized populations where substance abuse and housing are concerns.
http://www.canadianharmreduction.com
More Info: harmreductionTO at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

On the Road to Paris - The Trudeau Government and Environment, Energy and Climate Change
Fri, Nov. 27, 9 - 11 am
25 York Street, Suite 1100
With the Paris COP just around the corner, and Prime Minister Trudeau’s cabinet now named, join the Sustainable Energy Initiative for an important and informative discussion chaired by SEI Co-Chair Prof. Mark Winfield, with five leading experts the new government’s likely directions environmental, energy and climate change policy.
http://bit.ly/1PKnrJi
Due to high demand, we are now offering a live webcast of the event, but pre-registration is required.  You can register for the live session or webcast at: fes.yorku.ca/events/seipanel

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto People’s Assembly On Climate Justice
Sat. Nov. 28, 9:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Haultain Building, 170 College St.
As part of a global call for actions on climate justice, the Toronto People's Assembly on Climate Justice 2015 will bring together activists, organizations, people from all walks of life for an open forum to discuss community-based responses to the climate crisis.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1031807740196950/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Graphic Design Fundamentals
Sat, Nov. 28, 1 pm - 5 pm
252 Bloor Street West
Creating compelling graphic materials is essential for the success of an organization's communications strategy.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/graphic-design-fundamentals-tickets-18528772056

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

OCAP Turns 25! Come to our Anniversary Party
Sat, Nov. 28, 7 pm
Steelworkers’ Hall, 25 Cecil Street
On November 28, the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty will mark 25 years of challenging those who impose poverty on our communities. Twenty five years is a long time but we're not putting on a party to mark the end of OCAP. Just the opposite, the need for community based resistance in the face of mounting austerity is greater than ever. We'll be having a major celebration to look back on the actions we've taken, the victories we've won, the lives we’ve impacted and the enemies we've made.
http://facebook.com/OcapToronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

March for Climate Solutions and Justice
Sun, Nov. 29, Ottawa
Wear green. Demand 100% renewable energy. For more information on the 100% Possible march and the movement to transition to 100% renewables, visit
www.100possible.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/1731418770425959/
http://toronto350.org/
Book Your Toronto to Ottawa Bus Here: http://bit.ly/1HKmf0x

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Toronto To Paris: Light the Way To Climate Action
Sun. Nov. 29, 4 - 6 pm.
Queens Park (College and University)
Join us for a parade of lights! As world leaders meet in Paris to negotiate the next global climate deal - The Twenty-First Conference of Parties (COP21) - communities and civil society groups are launching COP21 with a global day of climate action. COP21 is our best chance to avoid catastrophic climate change and set the world on a path to a more sustainable and equitable future. Together, we will call for real action on climate change during and beyond COP21. Bring lights (ie. bike lights, flash lights)
https://www.facebook.com/events/887864434654297/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Supper with Syria
Sun, Nov, 29, 4 - 9 pm
Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St
https://www.facebook.com/supperwithsyria

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Action: Flood the System!
Monday, November 30, 10 am
More info to come

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Majority Radio - Applications for On-Air Co-Host
Monday, Nov. 30th Deadline
http://www.greenmajority.ca/volunteer

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global to Local: Climate Impacts and Solutions
Tuesday December 1, 7 - 9 pm
North York Civic Centre, Council Chambers, 5100 Yonge St.
- Connie Sorio, KAIROS: The Philippines, extreme weather impacts
- Caterina Lindman, Citizens Climate Lobby: Costs of inaction
- City of Toronto Speaker: Local climate impacts and solutions; citizen engagement through TransformTO
- Rob Shirkey: Climate labelling victory in BC
- Moderator: Daryn Caister, Green Majority

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: