T.O. Greenspiration Events: After Paris, What's Next?

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Jan 22 02:37:30 EST 2016

---------------------------------------

Greenspiration: the top 10 most encouraging eco stories of 2015

Planet lovers aren't always an optimistic bunch, but there's reason to pause
and appreciate this year's many highs on the environmental front

bit.ly/1ncWAJU

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Are you committed to a 100% renewable Ontario and a scrapping of the
province's plans to rebuild 10 old reactors?

If so, please "like" my new facebook "page". I'm shutting down our group in
favor of this page. Join me!

https://www.facebook.com/CleanAirAlliance/

Please send the Premier a message here telling her that Pickering must be
shut down by 2018 (when its current licence expires) at the latest. It was
originally meant to shut down in 2014/15, and now they're proposing to shut
it down in 2024. This is the largest nuclear station to a major urban centre
in the world.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/pickeringcloseletter/

Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office,
school, or local cafe

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/KIposter.pdf

Order your free anti-thyroid cancer pills here now

https://preparetobesafe.ca/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

May 2016: We're mobilising to shut down the world's most dangerous fossil
fuel projects and support the most ambitious climate solutions

Actions are being planned at locations all over the world, and plans are
coming together quickly - be a part of it from the very beginning.

http://breakfree2016.org/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Plan in the works to redesign King Street - and quickly

A year from now, the traffic-clogged street could be transformed into a
free-flowing transit/pedestrian corridor from Liberty Village to the
Distillery District.

on.thestar.com/1PaZuvi

10 second Bike Lanes on Bloor Animation

bit.ly/20ipOFG

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

How Copenhagen Became A Cycling Paradise By Considering The Full Cost Of
Cars

As well as costs and benefits to society, there are also personal costs and
benefits, including the time lost or gained from taking a bike or car, and
the impact of noise and pollution on quality of life. When these are
included in the analysis, cars cost 57 cents per kilometer while bikes come
in at 9 cents per kilometer, the paper finds.

bit.ly/1L1PIbP

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Germany opens first stretch of bicycle 'autobahn'

Germany has just opened the first 5km stretch of a traffic-free bicycle
highway that is set to span over 100km. The network will connect 10 western
cities.

bit.ly/1OX4Ggo

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Four Horsemen

An award winning independent feature documentary (100 min) which critiques
our modern capitalist system and lifts the lid on how the world really
works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fbvquHSPJU

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Journey to the Future

In futurist Guy Dauncey's inspiring and timely novel, 24-year-old Patrick Wu
journeys to a future world brimming with innovation and hope, where the
climate crisis is being tackled, the solar revolution is underway, and a new
economy is taking shape.

http://www.journeytothefuture.ca/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Fractured Land

Jan. 22 - 28, various times

Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)

Meet a shaper of human events, a person at the intersection before history
is transformed. Fractured Land follows Caleb Behn, a young Dene lawyer who
sports a Mohawk and tattoos, hunts moose and wears a business suit. Behn is
on the front lines advocating for Indigenous people in the midst of powerful
forces, from fracking operations to the government. But he also has an
internal battle: Behn's father is a devout environmentalist and residential
school survivor, while his mother holds a senior position in the oil and gas
industry. His people, at the epicenter of some of the largest fracking
operations on earth, are deeply divided. Featuring interviews with Naomi
Klein, Wade Davis, Sharleen Wildeman, Thomas Mulcair and more.

http://ow.ly/X7Cfn

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

After Paris - What's Next?

Sat. Jan. 23, 1:30 - 5 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway)

ClimateFast hosts a presentation and discussion with delegates who
participated in the Paris COP 21. What does the agreement mean, and what
happens next? How will we bring our carbon emissions down and how quickly
does that need to happen? How can civil society best support the transition
to 100% renewables?

bit.ly/1WzSpUW

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Best Alternatives to Fluoridation

With Dr. Paul Connett, past Director of Fluoride Action Network

Sat. Jan. 23, 1 - 4 p.m.

Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham Street (south of Bloor, west of Bathurst)

Why is putting industrial waste fluoride in drinking water the worst
possible dental public health policy? Learn how Scotland and other nations
implement public health programs that do not overdose children with fluoride
and achieve better dental health for lower cost and do not degrade the
downstream environment. It is time for democratic action to end fluoridation
in Toronto - hear local reports plus have an opportunity to sign local
petitions and pick up literature.  Dr. Connett's books will be available for
purchase also. PWYC. Event sponsored by Toronto Chapter Council of
Canadians, Citizens for a Safe Environment, and End Fluoride Toronto.

http://beitzatoun.org/event/best-alternatives-to-fluoridation/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

2016 City Budget Town Hall

Mon. Jan. 25, 7 - 9 p.m.

CSI Annex, Ground Floor, room called "The Garage", 720 Bathurst Street
(south of Bloor)

Councillors Mike Layton and Joe Cressy are holding a joint City Budget Town
Hall. Get the details on the budget, find out what it means for our
communities, and find out just who is being left out. The City's 2016 budget
is incomplete. A number of our City's priorities and many of Mayor Tory's
announcements throughout the year remain unfunded. Unfortunately, too many
people are left out of this budget including the most vulnerable - for
example 2016/2017 Winter Warming Centres for the vulnerable are not funded
in this budget. You can also send a written submission to the Budget
Committee by email to buc at toronto.ca <mailto:buc at toronto.ca> , fax (416)
392-1879, or mail to Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street W, 10th floor, West
Tower, Toronto ON, M5H 2N2. Questions can be directed to Michal Hay in Mike
Layton's office: mhay at toronto.ca <mailto:mhay at toronto.ca>  or (416)
392-4009.

toronto.ca/budget2016

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Building Resilience to Extreme Weather Workshop

Tues. Jan. 26, 6 - 8 p.m.

Annette Street Library, 145 Annette Street. (west of Keele)

Are you prepared? Emergencies and disasters can strike quickly and without
warning and can force you to evacuate your neighborhood or be confined to
your home. What would you do if your basic services-water, gas, electricity
or communications-were cut off? Learn how to prepare for and protect
yourself and your family in extreme weather events ie. Ice storms, heat
waves. A workshop hosted by CREW (Community Resilience to Extreme Weather),
co-sponsored by Annette Street Library and Green 13, and facilitated by the
City of Toronto, Office of Emergency Management.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Community Meeting: Making Toronto a Climate Change Leader

Wed. Jan. 27, 7 - 9 p.m.

Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton School, 1515 Bloor St West at Dundas, 3rd
floor Staff Room

Join Ward 13 Councillor Sarah Doucette and Ward 14 Councillor Gord Perks to
share your ideas to help Toronto reduce its greenhouse gas emissions and
adapt to one of the biggest ecological crises of our time, climate change.

bit.ly/1nqf4HI

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Keeping the Lights on in Toronto with New Energy Approaches

Local Advisory Council Meeting - Open to the Public

Thursday, January 28, 5:30 p.m.

Holiday Inn, Wellesley Room, 30 Carlton Street

The Independent Electricity System Operator along with Toronto Hydro is
developing a new plan for how to meet Toronto's electricity needs, called an
Integrated Resource Plan (IRP). This is an important opportunity to improve
on the current IRP, which fails to put in place the building blocks for a
modern energy system in Canada's largest city. Fortunately, we now have an
opportunity to create a plan that:

    - Ensures we put Conservation First in meeting electricity needs.
Improving efficiency is the fastest and lowest cost way to keep our lights
on and we can do much more to save energy and lower bills.

    - Ensures our critical infrastructure, including hospitals, care
facilities, and transit systems can remain fully operational in the event of
a major power outage.

    - Increases our climate resilience by increasing local distributed power
production using clean renewable energy, waste heat recovery and other
innovative and efficient means. Toronto currently imports the vast majority
of power used in the city, leaving it vulnerable to severe weather events or
other transmission interruptions.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/keeping-torontos-lights-on/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

A public seminar by Aziz Choudry

Mon. Feb. 1, noon - 1:30 pm

OISE, Room 7-105, 252 Bloor Street West

What do organizers and activists know and how do they know it? What is the
intellectual labour - the learning, knowledge production and research -
which takes place in the course of organizing and activism? This seminar
will be based on Aziz Choudry's new book, Learning Activism: The
Intellectual Life of Contemporary Social Movements (University of Toronto
Press, 2015). Examples of activist learning and knowledge production will be
drawn from migrant and immigrant worker struggles in Canada, anti-colonial
currents within global justice organizing in the Asia-Pacific, activist
research and education in social movements and people's organizations in the
Philippines, and the Quebec student strike of 2012.

www.oise.utoronto.ca/lhae <http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/lhae>

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Paris and Onward: the Path Forward to a Nuclear-Free, Carbon-Free energy
future

Tues. Feb. 2, 8 p.m. EST

A conference call with Mark Jacobson and Arjun Makhijani on the implications
of the COP climate negotiations in Paris, Dec. 2015 relative to nuclear
power.

bit.ly/1OKlI1G

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

A night of inspiration: An environmental and a social visionary share their
stories

Thur. Feb. 4, 4:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Loyalty One, 438 University Ave., 12th Floor

Robert Shirkey, founder of Our Horizon, is an eco-visionary who saw gasoline
pumps as an opportunity to change the conversation about how each of us
contributes to climate change; "What if we added a message right on the gas
pump like the way we do with cigarettes"?

Paul Klein, founder at Impakt is a social visionary who passionately chose
to tackle the nagging social problem of youth homelessness and unemployment.
In November 2015 Paul and his team at Impakt launched HireUp - the world's
first national job portal for youth who have experienced homelessness.

bit.ly/1P9MPHj

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Alliances and Coalition Building

Sat. Feb 6, 1 - 4 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor Street West

Interested in activist coalition work and want to make sure you're starting
off on the right foot? Involved in a coalition and want to gain perspective
on your experiences so far? This workshop will focus on the opportunities
and challenges involved in building alliances and coalitions, with a focus
on practical approaches to successful coalition building.

bit.ly/1VcQFj0

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events

http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events

http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:

greenspiration at web.ca <mailto:greenspiration at web.ca>

Write "subscribe" in the subject line

and tell me what city/country you live in.

Likewise to unsubscribe.

Or manage your subscription here: