T.O. Greenspiration Events: Art of Resistance

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Apr 25 00:26:34 EDT 2016

---------------------------------------

People's Climate Plan
Show up. Speak up. Make climate action work for us.
The Trudeau government plans to put forward a new national climate strategy for Canada before the end of 2016. We already know that oil lobbyists are gearing up to try and weaken any attempts to take bold action, and it’s up to us to make sure the voices of the people are heard first. That’s why, as Members of Parliament hold nation-wide public consultations on a national climate strategy this spring, we’ll be there every step of the way, showing up and speaking up in support of a way forward that works for our communities and the planet. 100% renewable economy by 2050.
http://peoplesclimate.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Close the Pickering Nuclear station when its licence expires in 2018
The 8-reactor station (5th largest in the world) is already 45 years old though was designed for a 30 year life. OPG and the province want to keep the plant open until 2024 at which time it will be 53 years old. 2.2 million people live within 30 kms of the station. All of Toronto is within 50 km of the station. We don’t need the electricity - we export more than the station produces, and we export it at a large loss - in fact we subsidize Pickering $900 million a year. Learn more and sign the petition.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/close-pickering/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Declaration of Voters’ Rights - Fair Vote Canada
https://secure.fairvote.ca/declaration

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Antidepressants found to be no better than Placebo
2 min. CBC National TV story about the ineffectiveness of Paxil, Prozac and Effexor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNvQr9EAh28

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Can Medical Science Be Trusted if its Authors are Ghosts?
Video recorded presentation by David Healy at Ryerson U, March 21, 2016
https://ryecast.ryerson.ca/110/Watch/10125.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Room Available - May 1st
Lg 200 sq ft furnished room available in commercial work/live loft building cr of Ossington and Dupont/4th fl walk-up/stimulating, creative, sustainable "foodie" environment! 24/7 frequent transit/free car & bike pkg/inclusive with wifi/short term 2-6 months...perfect for busy engrossed artist or professional that works outside home. Lg open concept space/ktch/access to common space…..much  more! Please call or text 416.732.8965/write Plz share about yourself & needs pei.czech at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network - 8th Solidarity Month Events' Calendar
http://lacsn.weebly.com/lacsn-8th-solidarity-month--pentildea-folklorica.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Action Alert: Write Public Works Now to Support the Bloor Bike Lane Pilot
https://www.cycleto.ca/news/action-alert-write-public-works-now-support-bloor-pilot

Interested in making a deputation at Public Works to voice your support? Or just show up with your bike helmet to show your support.
Mon. April 25, 930 a.m.
Toronto City Hall, Cttee. Rm 2
https://www.cycleto.ca/news/action-alert-write-public-works-now-support-bloor-pilot

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Is this the City we Want? - Conservation in 2016 Toronto
Toronto Modern to Post-Modern: Already at Risk - Panel Discussion:
Mon. April 25, 7 pm
Lecture Hall 610, 155 College Street
What is the role of conservation in today's rapidly changing Toronto? Cultural, Environmental?, Social? Can we do better than urban taxidermy? What lessons of the 70's have been lost? Does it matter that we barely recognize parts of Toronto? How much is too much? Do we need a new generation of reform activists and politicians?
http://www.acotoronto.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TransformTO Community Conversations
Toronto residents are invited to join a community conversation about climate change and how we can shape Toronto's future as a low-carbon city. The City will host four community conversations this spring to build a vision of what Toronto will look like in the year 2050 with drastically reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
April 25 - Metro Hall, 55 John St., 6 - 9 p.m.
April 27 - Etobicoke Ken Cox Community Centre, 28 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Dr., 6 - 9 p.m.
May 3 - Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Dr., 6 - 9 p.m.
May 9 - North York City Centre, Memorial Hall, 5110 Yonge St., 6 - 9 p.m.
The conversations are part of TransformTO: Climate Action for a Healthy, Equitable, Prosperous Toronto, a City initiative in collaboration with Toronto Atmospheric Fund. Learn more here:
http://toronto.ca/transformto.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

After the Last River
Mon. April 25, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Lillian H Smith Library, 239 College
Documentary on Attawapiskat's journey from obscurity into the international spotlight during the protests of Idle No More, followed by Q&A with filmmaker Vicki Lean.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How To Change The World
Mon. April 25, 6 - 8 p.m.
Maria A Shchuka Library, 1745 Eglinton W
Screening the documentary about the origins of Greenpeace and the growth of the modern environmental movement, followed by a talk and Q&A by founding member Bill Darnell.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

10th year! Protest Barrick: Stand with communities demanding justice
Tues. April 26, 11 am,
255 Front st.
food ~ music ~ art ~ speeches
Barrick Gold is a criminal company of global proportions. Implicated in killings, rapes, toxic spills, fraudulent reporting, land theft, and the militarization of entire communities, this company is a case study in the need for corporate accountability regulations internationally. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Harvard Law Clinic, Mining Watch, NYU Law School, and many others have documented this abuse, but popular pressure in Canada is needed to push for justice for the communities impacted by Barrick's operations. This is the 10th year of Protest Barrick protesting Barrick Gold at their annual general meeting, and the 10th year working directly with communities impacted by their operations.
https://www.facebook.com/events/536181939888211/
http://protestbarrick.net/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Crackdown on BDS: Criminalization of Dissent?
Tuesday April 26, 6:30pm
United Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
On February 18, 2016 Canadian parliament passed a motion condemning “any and all attempts by Canadian organizations, groups or individuals to promote the BDS [Boycott Divestment Sanctions against Israeli apartheid] movement, both here at home and abroad.”
* What are the legal implications of this motion? Is BDS being criminalized?
* What is the political and transnational context?
* How have activists and university campuses been affected by the vilification of BDS?
* What does this mean for the BDS movement?
This speakers panel and discussion addresses this recent anti-BDS offensive including legal, campus-based, labour, and social movement reflections and analysis.
https://www.facebook.com/events/795216720579192/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cross-Cultural Dimensions of Refugee Resettlement: Myths and Realities
Tuesday April 26, 7 pm
Carrot Common Meeting Room, Room 212, 348 Danforth Ave.
Free Admission, but donations appreciated. Coffee/Tea provided
Groups of Syrian & other refugees from diverse backgrounds share their cultural values and practices to inform and increase understanding in Canadian context. Open forum to follow. Your sponsored Syrians refugees are openly invited to join Conversation Starters.
For more info: Khan Rahi, organizer & facilitator | Conversation.Circles at gmail.com | (416) 406-5517

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disobedience
Tuesday, April 26, 6 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
30 min. long, fast-paced film that tells the story of civil disobedience and the climate crisis like you've never seen before.
Trailer: http://watchdisobedience.com/?utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chernobyl: Conversations and Children - 30 Years Later
Wed. April 27, 7 - 9 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (at Bloor)
30 years ago (April 26, 1986), the Chernobyl nuclear reactor exploded. Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus have been burdened with the continuing and substantial decontamination and health care costs. To honour the victims we are screening the 2014 Japanese documentary 'Children of Chernobyl 28 Years Later: A report on low-level, long-term radiation exposure.' Speakers to follow including Angela Bischoff, OCAA and Alex Belyakov, Ryerson. People from Ukrainian background have been invited to share their first-hand experiences. By donation. Co-sponsored by Ontario Clean Air Alliance and Durham Nuclear Awareness
https://www.facebook.com/events/926565147464475/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leadnow Toronto Volunteer Orientation
Wed/ April 27, 7 - 9 p.m.
192 Spadina Ave, Suite 300
Are you interested in getting involved with Leadnow in Toronto? Join us at our volunteer orientation to learn more about what opportunities are available to help make Canada a more open, equal and sustainable society. In 2016 we are focusing on the next chapter of the Vote Together story: changing our broken voting system. We'll need all the help we can get to meet with MPs, educate the broader community, and hold actions to ensure our voices are heard by the new government and the voting reform parliamentary committee.
http://leadnow2.nationbuilder.com/leadnow_to_volunteer_orientation_20160427?utm_campaign=160411apri2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=leadnow2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Health Coalition
Wed. April 27, 7 pm
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil St.. There will be a pre-meeting BBQ starting at 6 pm
Toronto's hospitals are facing another year of serious cuts to staff and services. Already this year, the University Health Network (Toronto General and Toronto Western sites), Mount Sinai Hospital and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health have cut more than 100 Registered Nursing positions along with the hands-on patient care they provide. Humber River Regional Hospital has cut or closed multiple hospital sites, and people in the affected communities have to travel further to access care. Hospitals all across Toronto and the GTA have been plagued by serious cuts, while seniors now face a major increase in the cost of their drugs, all as a result of provincial government budget choices. Join the Toronto Health Coalition to discuss local health care concerns and help plan the fight-back campaign.
http://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca/wp-content/uploads/final-Toronto-town-hall-meeting-poster-bbq-version.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tales from the Trenches: Environmental storytelling from the front lines
Wed. April 27, 6:30 - 9 p.m.
192 Spadina ave. (ground floor)
Climate change and the state of the environment are two of the most intractable problems the world faces today. Join us for this evening of storytelling, networking, and drinks to gain insight into what it takes to pull our society towards a sustainable future.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tales-from-the-trenches-environmental-storytelling-from-the-frontlines-of-progress-tickets-21087702887

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sharing the Intense Experience from the UN on the Status of Women
Thursday, April 28, 6:30 - 9pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Avenue
Voice of Women for Peace were there along with 4000 other NGOs from around the world - all ages, religions, ethnic backgrounds - stepping optimistically to new UN Goals and old obstacle and oppositions. Desserts and Beverages. $10 per person or pwyc
http://vowpeace.org/event/report-back-from-csw60/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

GMOs & Glyphosate. Real Threats to Human and Environmental Health
with Dr. Stephanie Seneff (MIT)
Thur. April 28, 11 am - noon
U of T, Sandford Fleming Building, Blue Room (SF1105), 15 King's College Rd
Chandler Davis & John Balatinecz, Emeriti of U of T, plus Ms. Melody Byblow, Holistic Nutritionist of Toronto, combined their efforts to organize this important public lecture. You'll hear how glyphosate, Roundup and GMOs are real threats to human and
environmental health, and why so many diseases are on the rise. Dr. Seneff is a highly sought after expert on this subject and has made many public appearances: in the academic world, conferences, featured in documentaries, on television and at numerous public lectures. Free or pwyc
http://tinyurl.com/jejv9ej

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Re-discovering the spiritual ecology of cacao from sustainable field gardens to regenerative forest gardens
Thur. April 28, 7 - 9 p.m.
Chocosol, 1131 St. Clair Ave W
Join Michael Sacco, ChocoSol Founder and Trent University PhD candidate, to explore the spiritual, ecological, and geo-political unfolding of the story of chocolate.
https://www.universe.com/events/re-discovering-cacao-phd-research-discussions-tickets-KC71R4

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Uncensored and Unscripted - with Ken O’Keefe
Geopolitics - False Flag Ops - World Solutions - Moral Philosophy
Thur. April 28, 7 p.m. Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
Fri. April 29, 7 p.m. JJR Macleod Auditorium MS2158, U of T Med Sci Bldg.
Please join us as Ken speaks from the heart about his awakening and how you as an individual, can positively impact and influence all of humanity, not just for now but for all future generations.
http://www.modernknowledge.ca/ken-okeefe-in-toronto.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Degrowth and the Economy of a Sustainable Society
Thursday April 28, 6 - 9 pm.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Toronto 350 and Attac Ontario are holding the first of a three sessions seminar
Contact & RSVP: katie at toronto350.org
attac-ontario.org/degrowth.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Live Green on a Budget
Thur. April 28, 7 p.m.
The Big Carrot, 348 Danforth, Room 212
Lecture by environmental engineer Emma Rohmann. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cripping the Arts Symposium
Thur. April 28 - 30
Ryerson School of Disability Studies, 99 Gerrard E
Tangled Art + Disability presents an exploration of disability arts, access, aesthetics and justice with a day of roundtables and performance cabarets in the evening. Free for Deaf, Mad, disabled people, attendants, students, unwaged and underaged people, pwyc for everyone else.
http://tangledarts.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Canadian International Documentary Film Festival
April 28 - May 8
http://hotdocs.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Forever Friend Talk & Toy Party
Friday, April 29, 7:30 pm talk, 8:30 pm mingle
Anarres Natural Health Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road (at Bloor)
Get the toxins out of your bedroom. Talk by Tracey TieF, CNHP and Tynan Rhea, radical doula about how your toys can be harming you mentally, emotionally and physically by poisoning you with toxic chemicals and endocrine disruptors and how toys made from glass, silicone, stone, metal and wood are healthy, affordable Forever Friends. Free.
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/event/forever-friend-talk-toy-party

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Majority Radio - Canada's Environmental News Hour since 2006
Every Friday from 11am - noon
CIUT 89.5FM or subscribe on iTunes at
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/green-majority-radio/id941159945
Streaming player along with full show notes each week including references for stories we cover at www.greenmajority.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Amnesty International Toronto Meeting
Sat. April 30, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Dinner 6.30 - 9.30 p.m.
Ryerson University, Oakham House, 55 Gould St
Workshops, panels, tools.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/amnesty-international-toronto-organization-2016-regional-meeting-tickets-21744779220

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Schizophrenia to Wellness: Social determinants of mental health
Sat. April 30, 2 pm.
Trinity St. Paul's Centre, 427 Bloor W
A psychiatric survivor tells his personal journey to wellness. Pwyc. Presented by TorontoTheBetter.
http://torontothebetter.blogspot.ca/2016/04/from-schizophrenia-to-wellness-social.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What’s So Queer About Dying?
Sat. April 30, 2:30 - 5:30 pm.
519 Church Street Community Centre, north of Wellesley
The 519, in partnership with The Senior Pride Network, are hosting an intergenerational panel and community gathering to discuss end of life concerns and to explore this shared future in a supportive environment. This event will explore what is unique about LGBTQ community knowledge, experiences, and attitudes around end of life. Free.
http://www.the519.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Terror & the Art of Resistance
Sat. April 30, 1 - 3 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
Join a discussion about art, resistance, and national security. From Bill C-51 to police carding, from the Ocean Lady to indefinite detention, we’ll be talking with community advocates and lawyers about what it feels like to be the subject of state terror.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/terror-the-art-of-resistance/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's 11th Annual May Day March
Sunday, May 1, 1 p.m.
Yonge-Dundas Square
Every year on May 1st grassroots organizations in Toronto rally and march to mark International Worker's Day, for migrant and worker's rights and in support of Indigenous people's struggles. Themed around the most pressing issues of the day and committed to people's struggles against oppression and exploitation, May Day unites people's struggles for self-determination and liberation. We continue this tradition in 2016, rallying and marching against colonial and capitalist attacks on our communities here and Canadian imperialism's plunder and attacks on peoples across the world. This year, May Day organizing seeks to highlight the struggles of, and resistance to anti-black racism, police brutality, and issues deeply affecting black communities.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1579171805728189/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: