T.O. Greenspiration Events: Climate Context

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun May 8 17:37:28 EDT 2016

---------------------------------------

"One way to show solidarity with the people of Fort McMurray is to ditch the car and ride a bike. That simple yet profound action has just been made a whole lot more possible by bike lanes on Bloor. Long live the Tooker!” - Letter to the Editor, by Anne Hansen

Council approves bike lane pilot on Bloor Street
Good work everyone! Take the Tooker lives!
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2016/05/05/council-approves-bike-lane-pilot-on-bloor-street/

The possibility of expanding the project to the east and west of the currently approved route is also possible if the initial project is a success.
"If we want to build the city of the future...we have to try some of these things, Mayor John Tory said of the pilot project. "The idea of building a bike lane on Bloor is not a revolutionary idea."
http://www.blogto.com/city/2016/05/bloor_bike_lanes_finally_get_the_go_ahead_in_toronto/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycling Booms in London, and the City’s Not Looking Back
If current trends continue, bike commuters will outnumber car commuters in central London by 2018. “Cycling is now a mainstream policy in London politics.” As more people get on bikes, cycling in London has never been safer. Even the Automobile Association is on board.
http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/05/02/cycling-booms-in-london-and-the-citys-not-looking-back/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mother's Day Proclamation
Mother’s Day was originally started after the Civil War, as a protest to the carnage of that war, by women who had lost their sons.
http://www.peace.ca/mothersdayproclamation.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Here’s the Climate Context For the Fort McMurray Wildfire
What’s happening in Fort McMurray is a perfect encapsulation of the wicked ways that climate change is impacting wildfire season. A drier than normal winter left a paltry spring snowpack, which was quickly eaten away by warm temperatures. That left plenty of fuel on the ground for wildfires to consume.
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/climate-context-fort-mcmurray-wildfire-20311

Fort Mac Blaze: Brace for New Era of Infernos
What's turning northern forests into tinder? Biggest reason is climate change, but that’s not all.
http://thetyee.ca/News/2016/05/07/Brace-New-Era-Infernos/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=070516

Climate Hawk Mourns for Fort Mac…and Many Others
http://smartershift.com/energymix/2016/05/06/climate-hawk-mourns-for-fort-macand-many-others/

We Need to Talk About Climate Change
Tragedies like the Fort McMurray fire make it more important, not less.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/05/the_mcmurray_fire_is_worse_because_of_climate_change_and_we_need_to_talk.html

Fort McMurray and the Fires of Climate Change
http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/fort-mcmurray-and-the-fires-of-climate-change

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Ontario to put a price on plastic pollution
Ontario is one of the only provinces without a deposit return program for plastic beverage containers, including plastic water bottles. It’s time. Petition.
http://action.environmentaldefence.ca/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=17968

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Please, Do the Planet a Favor: Eat Less Meat
With recent research showing that reducing meat intake could result in two thirds less food-related CO2 emissions—and save millions of lives—there are few excuses left to justify having meat at every meal.
http://www.alternet.org/environment/please-do-planet-favor-eat-less-meat?akid=14234.290405.01_nV1&rd=1&src=newsletter1055629&t=25

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Veggielicious
May 6 - 22
Veggielicious is Toronto's annual plant-based culinary celebration. You’ll love what we've got to share with you (and your mouth). Various veg rests participating.
http://www.veggielicious.ca/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mayworks Festival of Working People and the Arts
May 1 - 14
www.mayworks.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Governing Toronto: Bringing Back the City that Worked
Book discussion with author Hon. Alan Redway
Monday, May 9, 6 - 7 p.m.
Committee Room 3, City Hall
About the book: In stark contrast to the dysfunctional megacity of today, The Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto was a city that worked. Some refer to this period from 1954 to 1998 as Toronto's "Golden Age". This book traces the growth and governance of the city from its creation in 1834 through its successful Metro years to why and how the decision was made to establish the present megacity while at the same time either accidentally or deliberately turning the Ontario government into both a provincial government and a regional government, as well, for a significantly enlarged Greater Toronto Area. Then it urges the provincial government to initiate a long over-due review of the governance of the city aimed at returning it to a city that works either by way of a de-amalgamation, as successfully achieved in Montreal, or at the very least by a decentralization of local responsibilities.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Women's City Alliance’s - Civic Engagement Cafe
Monday, May 9, 6 pm
Metro Hall, 55 John St., Room #304
How does the City of Toronto touch our lives? Do you care about transit? Childcare? Housing and recreation? Come join TWCA's civic engagement cafe to learn more about what municipal policy means for women, and what we can do about it.
RSVP: info at twca.ca or 647-235-8575

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TransformTO Community Conversations: North York
Mon. May 9, 6 p.m. open house, 7 - 9 p.m. presentation and conversation
North York Memorial Hall, 5110 Yonge St.
Join the conversation about climate change and how we can build a low-carbon, healthy, equitable, prosperous Toronto. Residents are invited to help shape Toronto´s future as a healthy, equitable and prosperous low-carbon city. We´ll create a vision for Toronto´s future and explore the changes needed to achieve it.
toronto.ca/transformto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Burning Would: Jane Jacobs and Marshall McLuhan
Mon. May 9, 6 - 8 p.m.
The Coach House Institute (McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology), 39A Queens Park Crescent E.
With Paul Bedford, Ken Greenberg, Denise Pinto. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/monday-night-seminar-the-burning-would-tickets-20012249176

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Apocalypse
Mon. May 9, 6:30 p.m.
T.O. Reference Library, Hinton Learning Theatre, 3rd floor. (Bloor and Yonge)
Lecture by York University professor/author Allan Weiss on the meanings and uses of the term. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cowspiracy - the sustainability secret
Free screening and discussion with guests Nimisha Raja, nutrition coach, and Katie Harper, Director of Project Neutral
Tuesday, May 10, 7 - 9:30 pm
Swansea Town Hall, Council Chamber (2nd floor), 95 Lavinia Ave.
This film by Kip Andersen examines the destructive impact of industrial agriculture, and proposes a path to global sustainability for a growing population. Discussion will follow, including corrections and updating of some information presented in the film. Please bring along your laptop, tablet, ipad, or other device as we plan to take a brief carbon footprint survey focused on our individual food choices.
http://www.green13toronto.org/event/cowspiracy-sustainability-secret-free-screening-and-discussion

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mexico: seeking peace in a context of violence
Tuesday May 10, 7 - 8:45 pm
Mary Ward Centre, 70 St. Mary Street (U of T)
With special guest Miguel Álvarez Gándara. Following Miguel's presentation, there will be time for an open dialogue on the current complex situation in Mexico.
www.jesuitforum.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Behind the Fare
Tues. May 10, 7 p.m.
Alliance Française de Toronto, 24 Spadina Road (N. of Bloor)
Behind the Fare is a film that follows the stories of taxi drivers in Toronto as they push back against the infringement of the foreign corporation, Uber, on their livelihoods. Putting their differences aside, the taxi community forms a united front to make itself heard but the city continues to ignore their demands. Their jobs, families, and communities remain in an increasingly precarious position. The media, consumers and politicians are not on their side as they continue to resist and organize on how to keep surviving in a rapidly changing industry. Following an important moment in Canadian labour history, this film sheds light on an issue far more complex than the headlines of ‘Taxi vs. Uber’. The screening is followed by a talkback with the filmmakers
and panelists from the taxi industry. Tickets: $5 PWYC
https://www.facebook.com/events/1125823614116328/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Morphing Capitalism
Tues. May 10. 4:15 - 5:45 p.m.
T.O. Reference Library, 789 Yonge, Balzac's
A recent study analyzing Y chromosomes from across the planet has revealed new and unexpected insights into human demographics. Thinking about how these findings might apply to our economic structures and behaviours is both interesting and challenging. Lecture/discussion. Free.
https://www.facebook.com/morphingcapitalism101?_rdr

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Close Pickering – Public Meeting
Wed. May 11, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
Ajax Public Library (Harwood and Achilles)
The Pickering Nuclear Station is one of the oldest nuclear stations in the world -- and one of the largest. It is surrounded by more people than any other nuclear station in North America. OPG wants to run the plant until at least 2024, at which time it will be 53-years-old. Leaving this problem-plagued nuclear station running for close to another decade (or more) in the heart of our largest urban area makes no sense. Come out and discuss how we can create a brighter – and safer -- future for the people of Pickering, Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Toronto by closing Pickering when its licence expires in 2018. If you’re not able to attend the meeting, we’d still like to hear from you. Let us know your thoughts and concerns about this aging nuclear station. And also, please consider helping us distribute literature door to door in the Ajax-Pickering-Scarborough region (or just to your neighbours and friends). Contact angela at cleanairalliance.org  You can also encourage your friends to sign the petition to close Pickering at: Close-Pickering.ca   And read our plan for creating jobs through immediate decommissioning of the old plant here: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/decomm/
https://www.facebook.com/events/1743638852574543/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Marx in Soho
Wed. May 11, 7 pm
Palmerston Library Theatre, 560 Palmerston Ave.
Howard Zinn’s acclaimed one-man play Marx in Soho, published in 1999 and performed around the world, offers a compelling portrait of one of the modern era’s most influential thinkers. Karl Marx returns to tell stories about his family, his activism, and his writing career, and to dispel myths and misinterpretations that have emerged around his ideas. "I'm not a Marxist," he insists, yet he speaks forcefully but intimately about the social and economic inequalities that continue to plague western society. Humorous, wistful, and passionate in defence of the oppressed, Zinn's Marx is an inspiring figure to spend an evening with. $10 PWYC
https://www.facebook.com/events/982351408515195/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In the Name of Security? Global War against the People
Wed. May 11, 7 pm
15 King's College Circle, University College, U of T
Though the UN was ostensibly founded with the intent of “ending the scourge of war”, and though the collapse of the Soviet Union heralded the possibility of dismantling nuclear weapons and defusing worldwide tensions, the last decades have seen tens of millions of civilians and young soldiers killed in inter-state and intra-state wars. Along with warfare, there is a massive expansion of ever more lethal weapons, the emergence of high-technology surveillance/police states, and the personal enrichment and power of complicit entrepreneurs and professionals. Jeff Halper and Bruce Gagnon are expert researchers and longtime activists in efforts to end this madness.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1591986354448339/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes: Toronto White Ribbon Campaign
Thur. May 12, noon - 1 p.m.
Starts and ends at Yonge Dundas Square
What if it could help end violence against women and promote gender equality? Support White Ribbon – the world’s largest movement of men and boys working to end violence against women – by participating in Walk A Mile In Her Shoes. A one-mile walk in heels, through the heart of the Financial District
http://www.whiteribbon.ca/walkamile/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Building for Sustainable Unprofessionals
Thur. May 12, 6 - 9 p.m.
CSI Annex - 720 Bathurst St
We´re back! #GreenPeopleTO is hosting another SUP event.  If you´re new to what we do, we´re a group of young environmentalists trying to make this big city a little more friendly for everyone and anyone interested in living in a sustainable world.  This is a relaxed community building event for anyone whose ever thought "huh..I kinda like this planet”. Don’t work in the green sector? Not a problem! Work in the green sector? Amazing! Never attended a green event before? Let this be your first! Want to join the environmental community? This is for you!
https://www.facebook.com/events/152666568469092/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Break Free from Fossil Fuels: Rally for Climate Justice
Fri. May 13, 4 - 5:30 p.m.
Matt Cohan Park, SE corner of Bloor and Spadina
Join us for a youth-led RALLY across from the office of Minister Chrystia Freeland, Vice Chair, Cabinet Committee on Environment, Climate Change and Energy. Send a strong message to the Liberal Government: No New Pipelines and a just transition to a clean economy for all workers.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1590018207993577/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Trade Committee TPP Hearings
Fri. May 13, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
The Trade Committee is holding public hearings in Toronto. This is a now or never moment for us to flood the hearings with opposition, making our people-power impossible to ignore. If enough of us speak out against the TPP at the hearings, we can make it impossible for the government to say the public supports this deal.
http://leadnow2.nationbuilder.com/tpp_toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pegasus Conference
Fri - Sun. May 13 - 15
Sheraton Toronto Hotel on Dixon Road
Pegasus is a thought stimulating conference, convening leaders, change-makers, and participants from multiple disciplines to engage in discourse about actions and policies to improve unacceptable levels of poor health.
http://www.pegasusconference.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shecycle for Africa
Sat. May 14, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Women on the Move, 2111 Dundas W.
We are collecting bicycles to go to Africa as well as supporting women entrepreneurs from Africa. We will be learning about their business, as well as how a bicycle can benefit business both here, and women in Africa. Bikes, parts and donations welcome.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1106376169418800/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

VOW's Gala Brunch Celebrating Mother's Day for Peace
Saturday, May 14, noon
Royal Canadian Yacht Club, 141 St. George Street, Toronto
Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) hosts this afternoon with delicious food, outstanding entertainment and an interesting speaker. Members $75  Non-members $100  Student price of $25
Contact VOW officeinfo at vowpeace.org or telephone 416-716-4010
http://vowpeace.org/event/mothers-day-for-peace-brunch/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Connecting Anti-Colonial Stuggles: River Run Panel
Sat. May 14, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Multifaith Centre, 569 Spadina, Room 208 (main activity hall), U of T
This panel will connect Grassy Narrows’ fight for justice with migrant justice and the violence of Canadian settler colonialism and imperialism. Featuring Judy Da Silva of Grassy Narrows, Glen Coulthard, and speakers from No One Is Illegal (Toronto); moderated by the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network. Free.
facebook.com/events/1528499717457036

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

International Migratory Bird Day - Bird Watching Tours
Sat. May 14, 8 a.m., 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
Rouge River Valley
This international event celebrates migratory birds making the long trip back from their wintering grounds in Central and South America to their nesting grounds here in North America. Parks Canada is hosting bird watching tours in Rouge Park with guest bird experts. These two-hour tours are free and recommended for ages 10 and up. To register for the tours, contact Janis Miller at 416-392-5964 or jmiller at torontozoo.ca
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/np-pn/cnpn-cnnp/rouge/ne/ne-12.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Medically Assisted Dying: Where do we go from here?
Sat. May 14, 1:30 p.m.
Koffler House, U of T, 569 Spadina Cres., Room 108
Humanist Association of Toronto presents a discussion with Shanaaz Gokool, CEO, Dying with Dignity; Dr. Isser Dubinsky, DWD; Blair Henry, Clinical Bioethicist. Free.
http://humanist.toronto.on.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fair Vote Canada presents a Webinar on Coalitions
Sun. May 15, 1 p.m.
From your computer
Panelists address PR (proportional representation) 101 and Coalitions, how do they work?
https://secure.fairvote.ca/sites/secure.fairvote.ca/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=200454&qid=6388471

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: