T.O. Greenspiration Events: our land beautiful

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jun 12 22:25:06 EDT 2016

---------------------------------------

Stop Big Money in Ontario Politics
Petition to Premier Wynne by Democracy Watch
http://chn.ge/1PVirmE

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Don’t hike fares on the subway: Take action
If the Wynne Government and Metrolinx truly want to help riders they should fairly fund public transit, not force an unfair fare scheme upon us.  It’s time to help all riders, not rip us off.
We say yes to:
	• One fare for the 416
	• Fair provincial government funding for the TTC and public transit
	• Two-hour fare transfers
	• Cheap transfers between the TTC and GO
	• No fare hikes or loss of service for any rider
We say no to:
	• Fare-by-distance in the 416
	• Fare hikes for faster transit
http://www.ttcriders.ca/dont-hike-fares-on-the-subway/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Close Pickering
Please sign my petition: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/close-pickering/
And please consider door-to-door leaflet blitzing with me. We go out regularly in Pickering, Ajax and Scarborough, dropping leaflets in mailboxes. Drop me a line if you can spare a few hours:
angela at cleanairalliance.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Grassy Narrows must be cleaned up now: Chief Fobister
http://freegrassy.net/2016/06/06/grassy-narrows-must-be-cleaned-up-now-chief-fobister/

Mercury contamination at Grassy Narrows First Nation can be cleaned up, scientists tell government, again
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/grassy-narrows-mercury-report-1.3604183

Let's flood Premier Wynne with phone calls
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2826005/Grassy-Narrows-Phone-Call-Action

Petition: Clean up the mercury that's poisoning Grassy Narrows' water
https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/clean-up-the-mercury-that-s-poisoning-grassy-narrows-water?source=grassy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Remembering Jane Jacobs and her Urban Dreams
Happy 100th birthday to the urbanist writer. She changed the way we see cities -- as diverse, people-friendly spaces. Authored the great book The Death and Life of Great American Cities. 5 min. video
http://thetyee.ca/Video/2016/06/08/Jane-Jacobs-Centenary/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=090616

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change Action Plan: Funding for Cycling
The Climate Change Action Plan was launched on June 8th and includes plans to invest $150 - $225 million in cycling infrastructure. Of course they're also giving away massive subsidies to rich people who can afford to buy EVs (electric vehicles). But it'll be nice to not have exhaust pipes belching noxious fumes in our faces. Now if only those EVs were powered with renewable electricity instead of nuclear power.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/climate-change-action-plan?_ga=1.221131672.1098265097.1418062837

Also, MPP Eleanor McMahon (Burlington) tabled a Private Members Bill to make specifications for careless driving that results in death and bodily harm, increasing fines and jail time.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/06/09/mpp-pushes-for-stiffer-penalties-for-careless-drivers.html

Five Things Greenpeace likes about Ontario's Climate Plan
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/blog/Blogentry/five-things-we-like-about-ontarios-climate-pl/blog/56693/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Bikes vs Cars App - Create your own climate effect
The app stores the user’s cycling trips and converts the distance into CO2 emissions saved.
http://www.bikes-vs-cars.com/app?utm_campaign=twb_live_stream&utm_medium=email&utm_source=wgfilm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shell relinquishes 30 exploration permits near Lancaster Sound in Eastern Arctic
Move paves the way to enlarge proposed marine conservation area
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/north/shell-lancaster-sound-permits-1.3620681

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Donate your old bike to Africa
The drop-off location is 2111 Dundas Street West in the basement of Women On The Move
Bicycles can be dropped off during the week, but prefer Saturdays between 11 a.m.  - 2 p.m.
http://melissawp9.wix.com/theshefactory#!shecycle-for-africa/g4eo7

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Month
Dozens of events
http://bikemonth.ca/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urban forest faces perilous future without intervention
New Report by Green Infrastructure Ontario Coalition
https://trca.ca/urban-forests-face-perilous-future-without-intervention/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Room available for the summer, starting any day in the month of June (prorated) through end of August, $825/mth inclusive. Authentic historical Artist's unrenovated warehouse. Starting in the fall short term rentals for days or weeks at a time are also possible - please inquire.
http://toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/sub/5612077021.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Acupuncture Treatments
Provided by students in their final month of training in the Teaching Clinic. Thu, Sat & Sun 10 am-6 pm, Tue 1-5 pm, Wed 1-9 pm. Call for appointment.
Shiatsu School of Canada/SSC Acupuncture Institute 455 Spadina, suite 300. 416-323-1818 ext 200
http://shiatsucanada.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

KONELINE: our land beautiful
June 10-16
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
Audience favourite and winner of the Best Canadian Feature Documentary Award at this year's Hot Docs, KONELINE: our land beautiful is a stunningly shot and powerfully realized ode to one of the most striking places on earth, and the people who live there. The Tahltan First Nation has lived in remote northwestern British Columbia for thousands of years; they call their land "koneline," which means "our land beautiful" as well as "our mind beautiful," inextricably weaving human consciousness with the health of the land. Copper and gold mining companies call the Tahltan territory “the golden triangle," while hunting outfitters refer to it as “Canada's Serengeti." A breathtaking love letter-in striking CinemaScope and surround sound-that captures the majestic beauty of the land and its people.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=53521~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

I have 6 pairs of FREE tickets to the Wed. June 15th, 6:30 p.m. screening, to the first 6 people that email me at angela at cleanairalliance.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tenant Action Meeting
Mon. June 13, 6:30 p.m.
West Neighourhood House, 248 Ossington, Stan Meek Community Hall
Public forum organized by Parkdale Community Legal Services & Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Services for renters in southwest Toronto. This meeting to to raise awareness of the Ontario government's proposed changes to the Residential Tenancies Act, which will make it easier for landlords to evict people. Free.
southwestareatenants at yahoo.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mobilizing for City Action on Poverty
Mon. June 13, 6:30 - 9:30 pm.
31 Wellesley St East
Discuss and plan action to ensure the city’s financial plan includes investments in jobs, housing, transit and poverty reduction. Free. A C2C Community Meeting.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/mobilizing-for-city-action-on-poverty-a-c2c-community-meeting-tickets-25705683391

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ukraine, Syria and the Arctic – From Challenges to Solutions
Mon. Tues. June 13-14
Faculty Club, U of T, 41 Willcocks St.
Day One will be devoted to understanding and exploring the causes of, and potential practical solutions to, the Ukraine conflict and Russia-West conflict and tensions, in both the Eastern Europe theatre and the Syrian theatre. Day Two will explore Arctic geopolitical, economic, environmental and scientific futures, and will examine practical avenues for Canada-Russian forward cooperation in the Arctic.
http://www.i21cq.com/events/ukraine-syria-arctic/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop Plastic Pollution Now
Tuesday June 14, 6:15 p.m.
Annette Public Library, 145 Annette St.
Scientists are saying that plastic pollution is as big a threat to the environment as climate change. StopPlastics http://stopplastics.ca will present information about plastic, the problems it poses, and why plastic pollution must be stopped at its source.  They'll be screening a short film and slideshow. They urge the public to join them in their current campaign to stop plastic pollution by convincing Toronto City Council to ban plastic bags. Did you know that Fort McMurray has banned the single-use plastic bag? As has Iqualuit, and 172 other cities, and several countries. Come and learn more. Presented by Green 13 and the Annette Library.
www.green13toronto.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Movie for a Cause: Ethiopia Drought Relief
Tues. June 14, 6 - 9 p.m.
No One Writes to the Colonel, 460 College
Join us to raise funds and awareness for the Ethiopian drought. We'll be sharing a special screening of Difret, an award-winning film by Ethiopian filmmaker Zeresenay Berhane Mehari. Proceeds from the event will support CCFC’s drought relief effort. Benefitting those who are suffering from the worst drought the country has seen in more than 50 years. Make a $20 donation at www.ccfcanada.ca/movie-for-a-cause
https://www.facebook.com/events/1159567714078084/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Cultural Heritage of Indigenous Tattooing: Medicine, Myth, Magic and Meaning
Tues. June 14, 7 p.m.
ROM, 100 Queen’s Park
ROM Speaks lecture by anthropologist Dr. Lars Krutak. $20, stu $15.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Female Eye Film Festival
Tues. - Sun. Jun 14 - 19
Theatre Centre, 1115 Queen W. (near Dufferin)
Provocative and controversial shorts, documentaries and feature films as seen through the eyes of women directors.
http://www.femaleeyefilmfestival.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Drones and Killer Robots: Canada's Policy
Wednesday, June 15, 7 pm
Room 261, University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
Recently, military operations have increasingly included precision guided missiles and unmanned aircraft known as drones. Under development are unmanned fully autonomous armaments, or "killer robots," which will destroy and kill without a human in the decision loop. Now is the time to debate what Canada plans in this regard. Speakers: Michel Duguay, Professor in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Laval University and chair, Science for Peace Working Group on Drones; Walter Dorn, Professor of Defence Studies, Royal Military College and Canadian Forces College; Cesar Jaramillo, Executive Director, Project Ploughshares. All are welcome. No charge.
www.scienceforpeace.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TPP Townhall
Wed. June 15, 4:30 - 8 p.m.
Rotman School of Management, 105 George St., U of T
Town Hall on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). We know that the TPP is a terrible deal for us - we need to make sure that comes across loud and clear! Come out and join us for a community gathering on the evening of the 15th – before the town hall event – where we'll play some games, hear some songs, learn more about what the TPP means for each of us, and make it clear to Freeland that we won't stand for it!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1056224024459333/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Substance Abuse and Self-Injury - An Orthomolecular Approach
Wed. June 15, 8 - 9:30 p.m.
Webinar
Evidence-based solutions to optimize health through individualized therapeutic nutrients and diet. Free.
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/364299362621734914

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Relief Line - Town Hall
Wednesday, June 15, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Matty Eckler Community Centre, 953 Gerrard St. East at Pape After two years of work and many public meetings, Toronto City Council is preparing to make big decisions about long awaited transit projects including the first leg of the Downtown Relief Line. The Relief Line will be built under our existing streets and communities. Town Hall with Councillor Paula Fletcher.
http://reliefline.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally: Indigenous Awareness
Wed. June 15, 6 - 8:30 .m.
Meeting Room #1, Centre for Social Innovation - Regent Park - 585 Dundas Street East
How do I check my privilege? How can we engage in a conversation around identity, oppression, and colonialism? How do I support someone else’s cause? How do we learn from each other? How can I be an ally?
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-be-an-ally-indigenous-awareness-tickets-25687542130

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Not Who We Are - Film
Wed. June 15, 7 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
“Not Who We Are” highlights the story of Syrian refugees who became displaced due to the brutal war in Syria. In early 2013, Syrians became the fourth largest refugee population in the world. Close to one million of them have taken refuge in Lebanon. More than eighty percent are women and children. War and displacement acutely affect women in particular. They lose their homes, loved ones and possessions and often find themselves in unfriendly environments. Bereft of social support networks, they are vulnerable to discrimination, violence, and abuse. $5
http://beitzatoun.org/event/film-not-who-we-are/?mc_cid=6493ea394f&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be Insta-Famous
Wed. June 15, 6 - 7:30 pm.
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen W,
Social media marketing workshop. Learn the nitty gritty about building a brand presence online. Photos, social media, networking - where do you start? Get the A - Z on where to begin. $10. Pre-register.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/get-schoold-how-to-become-insta-famous-tickets-24820645218

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Workplace Democracy for the 21st Century
Thur. June 16, 2 - 5 p.m.
Kruger Hall Commons, Main Floor, Woodsworth College U of T, 119 St. George St.
To combat precarious work, enhance job satisfaction, increase productivity and support decent wages and working conditions, critical new thinking is needed. Come take part in an afternoon of thought-provoking speakers and panels including remarks by Institute Chair Ed Broadbent. As part of this event, we're excited to be releasing an important new discussion paper. The event is free but seating is limited and registration is required below.
http://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/workplace_democracy_for_the_21st_century?utm_campaign=may16_16_workev&utm_medium=email&utm_source=broadbent

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dealing with Climate Denial: What can I say to help someone change?
Thursday, June 16, 6 - 8 pm
CSI Innovation Lab - 215 Spadina Avenue #400
How do we solve climate change when only 20% of the population is actively seeking to address the problem. As environmental-minded people we generally share reasons to change with people we converse with.  Behavioural sciences lead us in a new direction. If we want our audiences to choose change, there is research to guide us. This event will briefly detail concepts in the behavioural sciences.  Directly after, and the primary effort of this workshop will be to provide attendees with experiential activities to fully understand, and practice the concepts introduced.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dealing-with-climate-denial-what-can-i-say-to-help-someone-change-tickets-25745513524

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change and how it impacts the poor
Thursday, June 16, 6 p.m.
CRC, 40 Oak Street (just a block south of Gerrard, east of Parliament)
Join Sydney Lang, a Toronto-based climate justice organizer as she presents on the ways in which climate change impacts poor communities disproportionately, how it impacts the lives of poor people here in Toronto specifically, and how people are fighting back.
https://www.facebook.com/events/139111369840203/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous Arts Festival
Thur. - Sun. June 16 - 19
Fort York
The Indigenous Arts Festival at Fort York celebrates traditional and contemporary music, dance, theatre, storytelling, literature, crafts and food created by indigenous artists. $5
http://bit.ly/1TFA4mz

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change Town Hall with Catherine McKenna and Glen Murray
Friday June 17, 6:30 pm.
Evergreen Brickworks (free shuttlebus from Brodview)
The Honourable Chrystia Freeland Member of Parliament for University-Rosedale, Julie Dabrusin Member of Parliament for Toronto-Danforth, and Arif Virani Member of Parliament for Parkdale-High Park invite you to join them for a Town Hall on Climate Change with Canada's Minister of Environment and Climate Change, the Honourable Catherine McKenna, and Ontario's Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, the Honourable Glen Murray.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-change-town-hall-with-catherine-mckenna-and-glen-murray-tickets-25940609060?aff=es2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Basic Bike Maintenance Clinic
Fri. June 17, 5:30 - 7 pm.
Lillian H. Smith library, 239 College
Learn to spot simple issues that affect how your bike operates, such as how to keep your chain running smoothly, how to properly inflate your tires and more. Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Yoga for Cyclists
Sat. June 18, 10 - 11:15 am.
Dufferin Grove Park, 875 Dufferin
Free yoga class in the park focused on maintaining a healthy body and mind for people who ride bikes often. Bring a mat or blanket. Free.
http://bikemonth.ca/events/793

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Na-Me-Res Traditional Outdoor Pow Wow
Sat. June 18, Noon - 5 pm.
Fort York 250, Fort York Blvd.
Celebration of the summer solstice and National Aboriginal Day. Grand entry at noon, followed by traditional dance, indigenous craft displays, traditional foods and information booths. Free.
http://bit.ly/1TFA4mz

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Yonge Loves Bikes Ride
Sat. June 18, 2 p.m.
City Hall (Queen and Bay)
Ready to ride Yonge Street without the fear of being hit by a car? Family-friendly and safe 7K bike ride along Yonge with the protection of a police escort. We will begin our ride by seeking the cool breeze of the lake in the south and concluding the ride at a local tavern in mid-town. Free.
facebook.com/events/1735590320012233

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

OM T.O. Yogathon
Sun. June 19, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Distillery District, 55 Mill
Full day of free outdoor yoga with family classes, live DJ, meditation station, vendors and more. Bring a yoga mat. Free.
http://omto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: