T.O. Greenspiration Events: Breakthrough in Renewable Energy

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 11 23:28:04 EDT 2016

Bloor bike lanes are a small step for climate action and about a decade too late
Great piece by Hamish Wilson, local and long-time bike activist who has spent years advocating for bike lanes on Bloor. There's lots of reason to be cynical while at the same time celebrating one small step.
https://nowtoronto.com/news/bloor-bike-lanes-one-small-step-for-climate-action-a-decade-too-late/#.V9Fps2isky8.twitter

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Pig Save inspires global animal-rights activism
Activist Anita Krajnc’s weekly vigils at Toronto-area slaughterhouses have inspired an international movement to save animals
https://nowtoronto.com/news/toronto-pig-save-inspires-global-animal-rights-activism/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dispatches from the Pig Save trial
Five takeaways from the trial of animal rights activist Anita Krajnc
https://nowtoronto.com/news/dispatches-from-the-pig-save-trial/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

WMDs in the west end of Toronto?
After failed community attempts to shut it down, GE's uranium pellet plant on Lansdowne has just been bought by U.S.-based nuclear weapons manufacturer BWX Technologies
https://nowtoronto.com/news/wmds-in-the-west-end-of-toronto/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

US, China Formally Join Paris Climate Agreement
http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/09/03/us-china-formally-join-paris-agreement

China, U.S. Ratify Paris Agreement, But Canada’s Just Not Ready
http://smartershift.com/energymix/2016/09/05/china-u-s-ratify-paris-agreement-but-canadas-just-not-ready/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urge Canada to Lead on the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons
Petition: https://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=24026
Or better yet, write your own letter to PM Trudeau (no postage required) urging him to excercise international leadership for nuclear disarmament. Send to: 80 Wellington St, Ottawa, ON, Canada  K1A 0A2.  The Cdn gov’t has turned its back on an important nuclear disarmament initiative and sided with the nuclear weapons states despite the fact that 90% of Canadians want nuclear disarmament.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

U.S. Halts Dakota Access Construction, Offers ‘Government-to-Government’ Dialogue with Standing Rock Sioux
In a surprise announcement Friday afternoon, the Obama Administration called for a “voluntary” construction hold on a 40-mile section of the fiercely-disputed Dakota Access pipeline, just hours after U.S. Judge James Boasberg refused the Standing Rock Sioux tribe’s call for an emergency restraining order against the project.
http://smartershift.com/energymix/2016/09/09/u-s-halts-dakota-access-construction-offers-government-to-government-dialogue-with-standing-rock-sioux/

Democracy Now reports on Dakota Access Pipeline
http://www.democracynow.org/topics/dakota_access

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Baroness Von Sketch Show
Have you seen CBC's new feminist comedy sketch show? Brilliant. Here is my fave sketch: G4 Summit - when women rule.
http://www.cbc.ca/baroness/sketches/season1/g4-summit

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Breakthrough in Renewable Energy - doc screening and forum
Tuesday, September 13, 6:30 - 8:15 pm
Jane/Dundas Library, 620 Jane St.
It's under-reported in the media, but a silent revolution is moving across the world. Renewable energy is becoming cheaper than the energy from fossil fuels. It means that progressively the choice for wind and solar energy is no longer an ethical but an economic one. And this will speed up the transfer to renewable energy. This documentary (2016) offers hope that we can speed up our transition to renewable energy in time to save ourselves from catastrophic climate change. Following the screening and discussion, we may also view a short film, Power Play, about the residents of Shönau, Germany, who founded Germany's first renewable energy co-op.
http://tcan.ca/event/breakthrough-renewable-energy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change Townhall
Wed. Sept. 14, 7 p.m.
Beach United Church, 140 Wineva
MP Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, city councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon, MPP Arthur Potts and industry experts discuss how government, business and individuals can tackle climate change. Free.
facebook.com/events/1737567713173930.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Action for Bees & Trees
Wed. Sept. 14, 6:30 - 9 p.m. (presentation begins 7 p.m.)
United Steelworkers Hall, Cecil St. (east of spading)
Wilderness Committee's Ontario Office is hosting Manitoba Campaign Director Eric Reder discussing their push for a ban on bee-killing neonicotinoid pesticides, their work to stop logging in Algonquin Provincial Park, and the campaign against Energy East.
https://www.facebook.com/events/816566511777395/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Digital Disruption and the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
With Sam Lanfranco, Professor Emeritus and Senior Scholar (Economics), York U
Wed. Sept. 14, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room 144 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U. of T
Science for Peace presents this weekly series of free public lectures . Everyone is welcome. Bring a friend.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/digital-disruption-and-the-un-sustainable-development-goals-sdgs

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Before the Flood
TIFF film about climate change
Thur. Fri, Sept. 15 and 16
Fisher Stevens' latest documentary (formerly titled The Turning Point) chronicles Leonardo DiCaprio's campaign to raise global awareness about the dangers of climate change in his role as a UN Ambassador of Peace.
http://www.tiff.net/films/before-the-flood/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Radical Business Intensive
Thur. - Sun. Sept. 15 - 18
With Tad Hargrave, Marketing for Hippies, helping green and local businesses to grow.
http://marketingforhippies.com/rbitoronto/?utm_source=RBI+Ten+Reasons&utm_campaign=Toronto+Alums+-+Spread+the+Word&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

in/FUTURE: A Transformative Art Experience
Thur. September 15 - 25
Ontario Place, Toronto waterfront
in/FUTURE is a multidisciplinary art and music festival presented by Art Spin in association with Small World Music Festival that will re-animate the west island of Ontario Place, a scenic 14-acre waterfront urban oasis within Toronto.
http://www.artspin.ca/#!upcoming/cihc

Art Spin: : Group ride to in/future
Thur. September 15, 6:30
Alexandra Park, Dundas and Bathurst
Advance $15 tix gets you into the In/Future festival.
http://www.artspin.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Back the Night
Fri. Sept. 16, 4 - 10 p.m.
Community Fair 4pm; Community Dinner 5pm; Rally 6pm; March 8pm
55 Gould St. Ryerson Student Centre
All People, All Access: Living with Disabilities and D/deafness for a Barrier and Violence Free World . Tokens provided. Attendant care provided. Childcare provided
takebackthenighttoronto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

9/11: What’s new 15 years later?
Fri. September 16,  7 - 9:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
New short films followed by a discussion with Barry Zwicker, media & 911 expert. $5
http://beitzatoun.org/event/911-whats-new-15-years-later/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Kensington Market Jazz Festival
Fri. - Sun. Sept. 16 - 18
Kensington Market, near Spadina/Dundas/Augusta/College
3 days, hundreds of shows
Kensingtonjazz.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rock Against the TPP
Fri. Sept. 16
- 11 am – Great Hall at Hart House, U of T – Doctors without Borders, Canadian Environmental Law Association and Osgoode Hall law professor Gus Van Harten explain how the TPP threatens national sovereignty, health and the environment.
- 1 pm – Hart House, U of T  – how to fight the TPP Student info demo
- 6 p.m. - 2 a.m. - Concert. The Opera House, 735 Queen St E
We’ve built a huge community of Canadians who know that the TPP will threaten our digital rights and the open Internet, while robbing us of the right to shape policies that work for us. But still, too many people are still sitting on the sidelines, because they just don't know how dangerous the TPP is. It's simple: pro-TPP forces need to keep those people on the sidelines to ram the deal through. If we can get those people off the sidelines then we will win.
https://act.openmedia.org/rocktpp/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rock Against the TPP - Teach-in and Postering
Saturday Sept. 17, noon
United Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Corporate lobbyists are working behind the scenes to pressure the Trudeau government to support the TPP. If we’re going to stop this dangerous deal, we need to scale up our opposition fast. This is a family-friendly event, and we will be providing childcare. Lunch will be also be provided. This event is organized by Leadnow, OpenMedia, Council of Canadians, Common Frontiers, USW, Unifor, Fight for the Future and People's Climate Movement.
http://we.leadnow.ca/tpp_teach_in_and_postering_action

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Streets TO
Sun. Sept. 18, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Bloor St (Parliament to Christie) & Yonge St (Bloor to Queen)
Open Streets TO opens the streets to people and closes them to cars. People traffic replaces car traffic, and the streets become “paved parks” where everyone can come out to get active and connect with one another.
http://www.openstreetsto.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

City Cider
Sun. Sept. 18, noon – 5 p.m.
Spadina Museum, 285 Spadina Rd.
Beneath colourful flags, amongst crowds and laughter, with ethereal melodies echoing from beyond a grand garden, rickety direction posts pointing the way to festive places, kids with painted faces, croquet, crafts and bee hives, cider pressed from apples that grew above us, the hard stuff poured by the hands that made it. This September will mark the 5th Annual City Cider Festival, Toronto’s premier fruit harvest celebration and fundraiser for Not Far From the Tree. $8 in advance | $10 at the gate | Free for children under 12. Admission includes museum entrance.
http://citycider.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make Every Vote Count Equally - Toronto Town Hall Meeting with Nathan Cullen
Sunday, Sept. 18, 2 - 4 pm
Hart House - Music Room, 7 Hart House Circle, U of T
As part of the government consultation on electoral reform, MPs have been invited to hold town halls. This is our chance to show up and speak up for proportional representation! What the MPs hear at the town halls - how much support there is for proportional representation - will be reported back to the all-party committee on electoral reform (ERRE). Nathan Cullen is one of the 12 members of ERRE.
- Proportional Representation: 30% of the vote should equal 30% of the seats
- Voter Equality: every voter should be able to elect an MP who reflects his/her values
- Diversity: Our Parliament should reflect our diversity, including the political diversity within each region
- Collaboration: proportional representation means parties working together, and policies supported by parties representing a majority of voters
http://www.ndp.ca/event-rsvp/4jjhc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: