T.O. Greenspiration Events: Water is sacred

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 18 23:04:55 EDT 2016

A Graphic Timeline of the Earth's Average Temperature
http://xkcd.com/1732/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Standing Rock protests: this is only the beginning
The world has been electrified by protests against the Dakota access pipeline. Is this a new civil rights movement where environmental and human rights meet?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/12/north-dakota-standing-rock-protests-civil-rights

Native American Activist Winona LaDuke at Standing Rock: It's Time to Move On from Fossil Fuels
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/9/12/native_american_activist_winona_laduke_at

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Debunking the Myth that Cyclists Don’t Pay Their Fair Share for the Road
Everyone pays for the road.
http://torontoist.com/2016/08/myth-cyclists-pay-their-fair-share/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bloor Bike Lanes: 120 Years in the Making
Until the completion of 2.4-kilometre stretch last month, Bloor hasn't offered what cyclists have long demanded - a share of the road on one of the city's best biking routes. By Albert Koehl
https://nowtoronto.com/news/bloor-bike-lanes-120-years-in-the-making/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urge Canada to Lead on the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons
This is a very rare and important time when Canada will decide if it will support progress on nuclear disarmament.  Let us all take extra time right now to encourage the Government of Canada to vote “yes” on an upcoming UN resolution that will call for negotiations on nuclear disarmament.  Please help by:
1) writing to the Prime Minister, House of Commons, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6 - no postage required, and
2) signing the Ceasefire petition found here https://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=24026

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Commuters Reduce Their Crash Risk by More Than 90 Percent When Taking Public Transit Instead of Driving
Investment in public transit results in cutting a community’s auto crash risk in half
http://www.apta.com/mediacenter/pressreleases/2016/Pages/Hidden-Traffic-Safety-Solution.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

☢ Can you spare a few hours to help us distribute these leaflets in mailboxes in your neighbourhood? http://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Close-Pickering-cropped.pdf  Contact: angela at cleanairalliance.org

☢ Please Sign my Petition to Close the 45 yr. old Pickering nuclear station when its license expires in 2018 rather than extend its life 'till 2028 which is OPG's request.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/close-pickering/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Defending Land Defender and Community Scholar Vanessa Gray
An Open Letter from Graduate Students regarding Vanessa Gray’s court case.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

in/FUTURE: A Transformative Art Experience
September 15 - 25
Ontario Place, Toronto waterfront
in/FUTURE is a multidisciplinary art and music festival presented by Art Spin in association with Small World Music Festival that will re-animate the west island of Ontario Place, a scenic 14-acre waterfront urban oasis within Toronto.
http://www.artspin.ca/#!upcoming/cihc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

3 Women
Mondays 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM
The program, hosted by NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo, will cover varied topics primarily dealing with women in politics. Women at all three levels, municipal, provincial and federal will be guests. Themes will be feminist entered. Angela Bischoff will be a guest on Mon. Sept. 19th.
http://www.ciut.fm/shows-2/spoken-word/3-women/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

O-M-G, this affects my health. -- #WannaBeToxicFree
Monday, September 19, 6 - 9 pm
CSI, Alterna Room, 4th Floor, 215 Spadina
Come to Women’s Healthy Environments Network #WannaBeToxicFree monthly event featuring different engaging speakers who highlight the links between our health and the environment. We will get down to the naked truth about the toxic chemicals we encounter in our daily lives, and what actions we can take to reduce exposure. This event is for people who believe that the current status quo needs a makeover and our actions can make the world a healthier place. Enjoy free delicious food (with a small environmental footprint, of course) - remember to bring your own glass/water bottle for drinks! Cover: $10
http://www.meetup.com/WannabeToxicFree/events/232497634/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Healthy Cities in the Era of Climate Change
Mon. Sept. 19, 1:15 - 2:45 p.m.
Webinar
"Climate change is the biggest global health threat of the 21st century,” according to the Lancet Commission on Health and Climate Change. But here’s the good news: the same Commission has also concluded that “Tackling climate change could be the greatest global health opportunity of the 21st century.” Indeed, many of the actions we must take to mitigate climate change—reducing fossil fuel use; promoting walkable, bikeable cities; supporting sustainable, local agriculture—offer significant benefits for public health. Join SSF, Island Press and the Urban Resilience Project for a webinar that will explore the possibilities for “win-win” solutions to climate change and health.
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6489672046463619331

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's Tree Bylaws - How to Recognize and Report Contraventions of Our Street and Private Tree Bylaws
Mon. Sept. 19, 6:30 - 8:30pm
Metro Hall, Room 308, 55 John Street
As citizens we can play an important role in helping the City of Toronto enforce our tree bylaws. Join in for a free presentation and Q&A with Mark Ventresca, Supervisor, and Arthur Beauregard, Manager, of Urban Forestry Tree Protection & Plan Review. Free.
http://www.yourleaf.org/event/2016-09-19/toronto-tree-bylaws-%E2%80%93-how-recognize-and-report-contraventions-our-street-tree-and-private-tree-bylaws

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Are you a transit rider? Learn how to share your story at City Hall
Monday September 19, 1.30 pm
CRC Regent Park, 40 Oak St
City Hall is considering cutting service and hiking fares next year. We say no. Riders need more service, and lower rider-friendly fares, like a two-hour fare transfer and a low income pass. Learn how to give a deputation at City Hall about your transit needs and more so you can share your story at City Hall this fall and demand better transit. Co-hosted by CRC Regent Park and TTCriders.
RSVP with John john at deaconinsurance.ca or Jess at jess at ttcriders.ca.
http://www.ttcriders.ca/learn-how-to-share-your-story-at-city-hall-mon-sep-19/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jaguar Chocolate Workshop
Monday, September 19, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
1131 St Clair Ave W
Join Chrystal Porter (ChocoSol Pastry Chef) and Chris Christou (ChocoSol Researcher and Ambassador) for a small group, hands-on chocolate workshop focused on this incredibly rare, unique, and delicious "white" chocolate made from cacao blanco (white cacao). Attendees will discover Jaguar chocolate and why ChocoSol is the only chocolate-maker in North America creating this rare product; learn about the bean-to-bar process and the significance and symbolism of albino cacao; and experience a special guided tasting highlighting this rare cacao variety. Tickets: $50 (must register in advance)
universe.com/jaguarchocolateworkshops

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Turning the Plastic Tide: How to Protect the Great Lakes and Fight Pollution
Mon. Sept 19, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Reference Library 789 Yonge
Keith Brooks from Environmental Defence outlines Ontario's initiatives to clean up the Great Lakes.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disorientation Week Presents: Mapping Resistance
Mon - Fri. September 19 - 23
Various venues at the U of T
An annual alternative orientation week. All events free and open to students and the community. All events are held in barrier free spaces. Specific access info is included with each event. Workshops and forums include: Sexual Violence, Anti-Oppression 101, Imperialist War, Harm reduction, DIY Skillshare, Mushroom growing and much more.
Full program here: http://www.opirgtoronto.org/diso/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Energy Planning for a Low Carbon Future
Tue, Sep 20, 7pm
Annette Street Library, 145 Annette St.
Fernando Carou, Energy and Environment Division, City of Toronto, will share ideas about neighbourhood scale community climate action plans. He will lead the discussion, along with members of Green 13.
http://www.green13toronto.org/event/community-energy-planning-low-carbon-future

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water is Sacred: Voices from the Front Lines
Tues. Sept. 20, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
U of T - Room 1101 Sanford Fleming Building, 10 King's College Road
Come hear Indigenous water defenders and mercury experts speak: Judy Da Silva, Grassy Narrows; Vanessa Gray, Aamjiwnaang; Waawaate Fobister, Grassy Narrows; Dr. Hanada, Open Research Centre for Minamata Studies, Japan
More info: FreeGrassy.net
https://www.facebook.com/events/575696279300620/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Challenge the TPP with Steven Shrybman
Tues. September 20, 7 - 9:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a dangerous, costly and outdated “free trade” deal that focuses primarily on such issues as how governments regulate corporate activity, how long pharmaceutical patents or copyright terms should be, how the Internet is governed, and how companies are compensated when environmental policies interfere with their profits. The TPP threatens the things we care about: climate action, affordable medicine, and a strong democracy that works for the people. Presented by The Council of Canadians (Toronto) & Reel Activism.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/challenge-the-tpp-with-steven-shrybman/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Art and Social Justice
Tuesday Sept 20, 8 pm
Massey Hall
Creative Minds launches with a conversation about one of today's most urgent issues: social justice and the political and cultural barriers to inclusion and equality. As movements such as #IdleNoMore and #BlackLivesMatter gain momentum in Canada and around the world, how do we address systemic oppression? And what is required for true reconciliation and real progress? With Buffy Sainte-Marie, Deepa Mehta, and more. $19.50 - $49.50
http://agocreativeminds.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

VOW (Voice of Women) Remembers Ursula Franklin
Wednesday Sept 21, 6 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.
International Day of Peace will be a good date to remember Ursula’s outstanding contribution to the peace movement, to Voice of Women for Peace, and for her role in advocating a whole new way of seeing what is our common security.  Ursula was a physicist, a feminist, and activist, and an author. "Peace is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice, and the absence of fear”.  She was an early member of VOW and is featured in our film ‘VOW, the First 30 year’.
http://vowpeace.org/event/global-day-of-peace/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Elizabeth May and the Special Committee on Electoral Reform - Hearings
Wed. Sept. 21, 1:30 - 9:30 p.m.
The Churchill Ballroom, Chelsea Hotel, 33 Gerrard Street West
Elizabeth May and the Special Committee on Electoral Reform will be travelling to Toronto to hear from expert witnesses and consult with Canadians on changes to our electoral system. Canadians will be able to attend the witness hearings and to have their say at open mic sessions. Here are some of the things you might want to bring up at open mic sessions:
• You think it’s unfair that under our current voting system, a party that receives less than 50% of the votes can hold 100% of the power in parliament
• You don’t like that votes in “swing ridings” are more important than votes in “safe ridings”
• You like that voter turnout is generally higher in countries with proportional representation
• You like the fact that countries with proportional voting systems have a higher number of female and visible minority legislators
https://www.greenparty.ca/en/content/erre-town-hall-toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

September Green Drinks
Wed. Sept. 21, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Grace O'Malleys, 14 Duncan St.
Everyone Welcome - No Admission Charge. We have a lively mixture of people from NGOs, academia, students, government and business. Come along and you'll be made welcome. Just say, "are you green?" and we will look after you and introduce you to whoever is there. It's a great way of catching up with people you know and also for making new contacts. Green Drinks is an organic, self-organising network. These events are very simple and unstructured, but many people have found employment, made friends, developed new ideas, done deals and had moments of serendipity
http://www.greendrinks.org/Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sustainability: are we missing the point?
Wed. September 21, 7 - 9 pm
Room UC 144, University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
Free public lecture by Alex Belyakov, Environmental journalist covering the Chernobyl disaster recovery. Hosted by Science for Peace.
https://www.facebook.com/events/969300579845440/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Live Longer, Live Stronger with Plant-based Nutrition
Thurs. Sept. 22, 7 - 8 pm
Runnymede Library, 2178 Bloor Street W.
Plant based diets are on the rise. Catch the benefit of this trend to slow aging, fight disease and help the environment and animals. Learn practical strategies to increase the plant content of your diet. Presented by Registered Dietitian Pamela Fergusson. Cosponsored by Vegetarians of High Park.
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT245018&R=EVT245018

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Palestine Film Festival (TPFF)
Sept 22 to 25
www.tpff..ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Boiling Point: Government Neglect, Corporate Abuse, and Canada's Water Crisis - with Maude Barlow and Sarah Harmer
Written by Maude Barlow, September 2016 - Book Launch
Fri. Sept. 23, 7 p.m.
Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church, 427 Bloor Street W
Join Maude Barlow, best-selling author and activist, and Sarah Harmer, Canadian singer-songwriter and activist, for a discussion of Canada’s water crisis. We are complacent. We bask in the idea that Canada holds 20% of the world’s fresh water — water crises face other countries, but not ours. We could not be more wrong. In Boiling Point, bestselling author and activist Maude Barlow lays bare the issues facing Canada’s water reserves, including long-outdated water laws, unmapped and unprotected groundwater reserves, agricultural pollution, industrial-waste dumping, boil-water advisories, and the effects of deforestation and climate change. This will be the defining issue of the coming decade, and most of us have no idea that it is on our very own doorstep.
http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/join-maude-barlow-and-sarah-harmer-for-a-discussion-of-canadas-water-crisis-tickets-27409613893

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Command and Control
Fri. Sept. 23 - Mon. Oct. 3
Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W.
Near the end of the Cold War, human error nearly caused a nuclear warhead to explode in Arkansas. The event was kept secret until only recently and, if the warhead had combusted, its power would have been three times that of every bomb dropped in WWII combined. This retelling of the chilling and Dr. Strangelovian nightmare is directed by Robert Kenner (Food, Inc., Merchants of Doubt) and based on a critically-acclaimed book by Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation). "Equal parts history lesson, cautionary tale and nerve-rattling thriller, this unsettling production uses all manner of nonfiction devices to elicit both horror and outrage over the precariousness of our deadliest arsenals" (Variety). How do you manage weapons of mass destruction without being destroyed by them?
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=54200~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&epguid=a1a41036-cbe1-4f35-bc34-1ed13d4bd525&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Periwinkle Pull Party
Sat. Sept. 24, 10 a.m. - noon and 1 - 3 p.m.
Cawthra Mulock Nature Reserve, King, Ontario Periwinkle, a non-native invasive species, creates dense monocultures on the forest floor and out-competes native species. To prevent its spread, come roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty pulling this pesky plant, and planting native species in its’ place
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/periwinkle-pull-party-at-ontario-natures-cawthra-mulock-nature-reserve-tickets-27152876986

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Philosophy and Science of How to Have Perfect Health
Sat. Sept. 24, 2 pm
Roncesvalles United Church, 240 Roncesvalles Ave.
We will explore the true history of immortality, the real meaning of "eternal life," as taught in various religions and scriptures and examine cutting-edge research on the means of self-regeneration (body, mind and spirit), and learn the true cause of all disease, ageing and its prevention.
http://bit.ly/2cRLsRD

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

9th Annual YIMBY (Yes in My Backyard) Festival
Sat. Sept. 24, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John St
The YIMBY (Yes in My Backyard) Festival is an event for people and groups involved – or looking to become involved – in grassroots, locally driven community development in Toronto. Meet 100 active community-driven, grassroots groups who are actively working toward a better Toronto. Learn about how you can get involved, join workshops, and celebrate the people who work all year round for a liveable city.
http://www.yimbytoronto.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Repair Cafe
Sat. Sept. 24, 2 - 4 pm
Park dale Library, 13030 Queen W.
Fixers repair your stuff including household appliances, computers, clothing, jewellery and more and teach you how to do it as well. Free.
https://nowtoronto.com/events/repair-cafe_7/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

50 Years of Farmworker Resistance
Sun. Sept. 25, 7 a.m.
Ontario Food Terminal, 165 The Queensway
Come join us to raise awareness and put pressure on the government of Canada to bring justice to the tens of thousands of farmworkers who have put food on Canadian tables for the last 50 years without any chance to lay roots in the country. Demand that the Canadian government provide Permanent Immigration Status to migrant farm workers in Canada -- the same workers who have been putting food on your table year after year. Farmworkers deserve permanent status now!
http://www.blogto.com/events/50-years-of-farmworker-resistance/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facing the Anthropocene, Fossil Capitalism and the Crisis of the Earth System
Book Launch with Author Ian Angus
Sun. Sept. 25, 2 - 4:30 pm
Cogent and compellingly written, Facing the Anthropocene offers a unique synthesis of natural and social science that illustrates how capitalism’s inexorable drive for growth, powered by the rapid burning of fossil fuels that took millions of years to form, has driven our world to the brink of disaster. Survival in the Anthropocene, Angus argues, requires radical social change, replacing fossil capitalism with a new, ecosocialist civilization.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/book-launch-facing-the-anthropocene/?mc_cid=701b2b9b6f&mc_eid=8320353111

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tour de Bloor or Bloor Victory Lap
Sun. Sept. 25, 11 a.m. - noon
Meet at Christie Pits (Christie and Bloor)
Join us for our ninth annual ride -- this time to celebrate the installation of the Bloor Street Bike Lanes! Fun for the whole family. Free bells will be provided to the riders. Stick around after at Christie Pits for food, drink, and the Lemon Bucket Orchestra — part of David Suzuki Foundation's Christie Crawlfest.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1087789481311684/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Climate Challenge: A Call to Action - 3 Doc Films
Sun. Sept. 25, 7 - 9 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.
Part of the Toronto Climate Film Festival. 3 short films, discussion, and action. Join us to watch impactful and informative climate change documentaries. Have conversations with national and local activists that will inspire hope and meaningful action.
http://www.tcff.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sunday
Sun. Sept. 25, 1 - 6 p.m.
Kensington Market (Augusta between College and Dundas)
Monthly celebration of car-free streets for people with music, street theatre and more.
http://www.kensingtonmarketbia.com/pedestrian-sundays-in-kensington-market.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Town Hall on Electoral Reform with MP Adam Vaughan
Sunday, Sept. 25, 2 - 4 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Council Chambers, Queen and Bay
Our Government was elected on a strong mandate for real change. We were very open and transparent in our campaign platform that 2015 would be the last federal election conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system. We are entering the electoral reform discussion with an open mind, prepared to listen to Canadians. That's why I want to invite you to participate in a community dialogue to discuss and share ideas about the future of Canada's federal electoral system and democracy.  The Town Hall will start with a presentation, then participants will break out into smaller discussion groups followed by a discussion with the full assembly. Representatives from Leadnow, City Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, Dave Meslin from RaBIT and other leaders on this issue will be on hand. After the town hall, my office will be sharing a detailed summary of the discussion to the Special Committee on Electoral Reform. If you are unable to attend the town hall, but would still like to provide your input, you can submit your ideas via this Committee's website.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committees/en/ERRE/StudyActivity?studyActivityId=9013025

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: