T.O. Greenspiration Events: Rally for Justice

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 20 22:16:29 EST 2016

"The oxygen that social movements breathe is called optimism.” Musician David Rovics
http://songwritersnotebook.blogspot.ca/2016/11/what-next.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Premier Wynne you want a 100% renewable Ontario
More and more communities are shifting to green energy to fight climate change,  lower energy bills, create local jobs and end their reliance on risky nuclear power. But the Ontario government is headed in the opposite direction. It recently announced it is putting the brakes on renewable energy while moving forward with extending 6 aging reactors at Pickering and rebuilding 10 reactors at Darlington and Bruce. It’s time to change course. I want Ontario’s next energy plan to empower Ontarians to switch to 100% renewable energy. Sign the petition.
http://www.100reontario.org/sign.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shattered: Hillary Clinton aimed at the highest glass ceiling. What broke instead was the coalition she thought would pierce it — and faith that it will happen.
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/11/hillary-clinton-didnt-shatter-the-glass-ceiling.html?mid=twitter_cut

The Way To Stop Trump--A Serious Message From the Legal Director of The ACLU
This is not the time to wallow in sorrow, sharing amongst ourselves beleaguered visions of what “could have been.” This is the time to speak up and be heard. This is a war, and we must prepare ourselves, and our children, for a battle that may outlive us:  We live in a constitutional democracy, one that is expressly designed to check the impulses of dangerous men. It will do so if and only if we insist on it.
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/11/17/1600030/-The-Way-To-Stop-Trump-A-Serious-Message-From-the-Legal-Director-of-The-ACLU

Posters In Toronto Are Encouraging White People To “Join The Alt-Right”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/toronto-white-person-alt-right-posters?utm_term=.kemqoyXgpZ#.cn6NXwYOzV

Pro-diversity posters pop up in East York, 1 day after 'alt-right’ posters found
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pro-diversity-posters-1.3852369

Draining the Swamp?
But Infesting the White House with a Group of Right-Wing Extremists, Pro-Corporate Lobbyists and Assorted “Deplorable” Washington Insiders?
http://duluthreader.com/articles/2016/11/16/8327_draining_the_swamp

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trump victory won’t halt the U.S. clean energy boom
Just last year, the United States saw $56-billion (U.S.) in clean-energy investment, second only to China. That kind of investment creates a lot of jobs: Almost 210,000 Americans are now employed in the solar industry, double the 2010 figures. This represents more people than those employed in oil and gas extraction. The U.S. Bureau of Labor notes that wind turbine technician is the fastest-growing occupation in the country. Would Mr. Trump put these good jobs in jeopardy? Doubtful.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/trump-victory-wont-halt-the-us-clean-energy-boom/article32832967

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

To all car drivers and car riders: get on board with the Dutch Reach!
Use your opposite hand (to the car door) to open your car door - that forces you to turn and look for oncoming cyclists. The Dutch even teach this maneuver in drivers' ed courses. Practise makes perfect. Watch the 1 min. video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzIf80eSfCg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

As Honest Ed’s comes to an end, a community festival to celebrate the city
Toronto For Everyone runs three days in February as an exercise in ‘city-building;’ artists from every discipline are invited to participate.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/11/15/as-honest-eds-comes-to-an-end-a-community-festival-to-celebrate-the-city.html?mc_cid=524446f9ec&mc_eid=7eb5cb97ae

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

COP22 – Canada Must Align Action With Climate Rhetoric
http://www.boomerwarrior.org/2016/11/cop22-canada-must-align-action-climate-rhetoric/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dr Peter C Gřtzsche on how anti-depressants cause more harm than good 6 min. video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJcSoo3C4Q&feature=youtu.be

Antidepressants Increase the Risk of Suicide and Violence at All Ages
https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/11/antidepressants-increase-risk-suicide-violence-ages/

The Risks That Made Me Quit Prescribing
Having always represented antidepressants as safe and effective to my patients, I put down my prescription pad after learning 3 facts about psychiatric medications: They result in worse long-term outcomes. They are debilitatingly habit forming. They cause unpredictable violence.
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/whats-harm-taking-antidepressant

Opioids: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Brilliant expose on the extent and root of our epidemic of opioid addiction - prescription pain killers. I had posted this a few weeks ago but the video had been removed, so I’m reposting with good link. Worth watching…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdPrQFjo2o

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

U of T has Established an Antipsychiatry Scholarship
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PsychSearch/
http://www.psychsearch.net/antipsychiatry/

Bonnie Burstow launches the world's first antipsychiatry scholarship at OISE
https://nowtoronto.com/lifestyle/class-action/bonnie-burstow-launches-worlds-first-antipsychiatry-scholarship-at-oise/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian artist Anne Hansen has dreamed up a novel way of protesting U.S. election outcome with Not-Our-President Book Club - invites others to follow.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dc3d1d2b6e54eb488e1da4f1c&id=ada093d31d&e=0130ba9d3a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the transit fare hikes and budget cuts
Mon. Nov. 21, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
City Hall, Queen and Bay
Transit Riders, we have a problem. We’re about to get our seventh fare hike in six years. The TTC is cutting service on 15 routes in November, and there’s more service cuts to come. We’re getting service cuts and fare hikes because John Tory, City Council, and the Wynne Government are refusing to fairly fund the TTC. In fact, Mayor Tory and City Council just made the TTC’s funding crisis worse by voting to cut the TTC’s budget. We say no. You have a right to fast, frequent and
affordable transit. Let’s organize together.
1. Send a message to your councillor and your MPP calling for a better TTC.
2. Join us at the TTC Commission meeting on Mon. Sign up to give a deputation and speak out against the cuts. Wear your running gear!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1789257521346872/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Candlelight Vigil to Stop Kinder Morgan
Mon. Nov. 21, 5 p.m.
Queen's Park Front Lawn (College and University Ave)
Together, we will take action in Toronto to call on Prime Minister Trudeau to reject the Kinder Morgan Pipeline. Justin Trudeau is set to make a decision any day now on the Kinder Morgan pipeline. On November 21st communities across Canada will be holding vigils that call for climate action and stand in soldiarity with Indigenous communities along the pipeline. We have to send a clear, national message to the Prime Minister that the pipeline would be devastating for the climate and Indigenous rights.
https://www.facebook.com/events/323761444683184/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

O-M-G, this affects my health. I #WannaBeToxicFree!
Mon. Nov. 21, 6 - 9 p.m.
CSI, Innovation Lab, 4th Floor, 215 Spadina Ave.
Come to Women’s Healthy Environments Network #WannaBeToxicFree monthly event featuring different engaging speakers who highlight the links between our health and the environment. We will get down to the naked truth about the toxic chemicals we encounter in our daily lives, and what actions we can take to reduce exposure. This event is for people who believe that the current status quo needs a makeover and our actions can make the world a healthier place. By donation - $5 suggested.
http://www.meetup.com/WannabeToxicFree/events/234974807/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Our Beautiful City: Urbanized
Mon. Nov. 21, 6:30 p.m.
Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W. (at Bathurst)
We kick off a new series on city life with Spacing magazine by screening Urbanized, Gary Hustwit's acclaimed doc about the world’s most innovative urban design projects. Urbanized interrogates the design of cities, discussing issues and strategies behind urban design with some of the world's foremost architects, planners, policymakers, builders and thinkers. Who is allowed to shape our cities, and
how do they do it?
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=58025~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Justice for Off-Reserve Members
Monday Nov.21, 10 am - 1 pm
130 Queen St (west of City Hall)
Off-reserve members of the Ojibway Nation of Saugeen Indian Tribe #258 will be protesting the office of Keschen Law in Kenora, Ontario on Mon.Nov 21. A solidarity rally will be held outside the Law Society of Upper Canada in support of the off-reserve members at the same time. Another solidarity rally will be held outside the office of MP Patricia Hadju in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The rallies will protest the practices of Keschen Law and demand justice for all off-reserve registered Indians.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1785474721664206/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

When Elephants Were Young
Tues. Nov. 22, 6:30 p.m.
Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W. (at Bathurst)
This provocative and bittersweet film is a surprising view into the paradoxes of elephants in captivity, dismantling common beliefs about the age-old relationship between human and elephant.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=58027~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&epguid=a1a41036-cbe1-4f35-bc34-1ed13d4bd525

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Standing Rock Syllabus - Group Reading
Tues. Nov. 22, 6 - 8 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W., 12th Floor, Nexus Lounge
We invite folks from the Greater Toronto Area to join us in a critical discussion of the Standing Rock Syllabus, available here
https://nycstandswithstandingrock.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/standingrocksyllabus_short.pdf
Join us as we will decide how we want to read and take up the #StandingRockSyllabus together.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1866995530197997/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Aromatherapy for Sexual and Reproductive Health
Tues. Nov. 22, 7 - 9 p.m.
Anarres Natural Health Apothecary, 749 Dovercourt Road (at Bloor)
Learn how to use essential oils safely, which oils are effective for sexual and reproductive health, and ask Tynan Rhea and Tracey TieF about any specific curiosities you might have regarding aromatherapy, reproduction, and sexuality.
RSVP 6478276968 or info at anarreshealth.ca
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/event/aromatherapy-sexual-health-tynan-rhea

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Us and Them
Tues. Nov. 22, 7 p.m.
Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles
National Housing Day screening of a film by Krista Loughton to bring attention to homelessness.  $15 (benefits Raising the Roof).
http://www.raisingtheroof.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Home Energy Retrofits: Can We Make Them Go Viral?
Wed. Nov. 23, 7 - 9 p.m.
St. Matthew’s United Church, The Oakwood Room, 729 St. Clair W.
The dramatic cuts in carbon emissions that Toronto needs in coming decades will require a massive upgrade in the energy efficiency of the leaky, poorly insulated older homes where so many of us live. How can we make this process easy, reliable and affordable for everyone? Toronto’s innovative Home Energy Loan Program (HELP) has been recognized internationally for its work in that direction, but can we make it even better? The program will soon be up for renewal, so this is the perfect moment for a close look at how it worked and to imagine its future. If you’ve ever done a home energy renovation or you’re even thinking about one, please bring your experience, questions and ideas.  We’ll end by brain-storming ways to make home energy retrofits go viral!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1733143433616370/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Thought Leadership
Wed. Nov. 23, 4:30 - 9:30 p.m.
Main Dining Room, Faculty Club, U of T, 41 Willcocks St.
The Paris Agreement to combat climate change entered into force on November 4, 2016, days before the international community met in Marrakech for the 22nd Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework on Climate Change (COP22) and the First Meeting of Parties under the Paris Agreement (CMA1). In close collaboration with provinces, particularly Quebec and Ontario, Canada’s Federal Government played an important role in shepherding through key elements of the Paris Agreement, including aspects related to markets and “cooperative approaches”. Ontario’s new cap-and-trade program,
to be linked with Quebec and California's market in 2018, will not only assist Canada in reaching its climate target but also illuminate the power of cross-border carbon markets and “cooperative approaches”.
In the wake of the US election, the panel will also share considerations and thoughts on a President Trump world, including outlooks for the Clean Power Plan, the Paris Agreement, and potential for cooperation and markets at home and abroad. Join us to hear these international and Canadian climate policy and finance experts, some of whom were on the ground in Marrakech for the two-week climate conference, report on the developments from the meeting and its implications for Canada and Ontario:
- Katie Sullivan (Director, The Americas & International Climate Finance, IETA)
- Erik Haites (President, Margaree Consultants and Advisor to UNFCCC on Biennial Assessment and Overview of Climate Finance)
- Lisa DeMarco (Partner, DeMarco Allan LLP)
- The Honourable Glen Murray (Ontario Minister of Environment & Climate Change)
- Moderator: Gray Taylor (Counsel, Climate Solutions Group and Distinguished Visiting Fellow, School of the Environment)
A networking reception will follow.Tickets: $100
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/university-of-toronto-school-of-the-environments-2016-willis-and-white-thought-leadership-event-tickets-28866062169

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

I Was a Catholic Zionist (but now I am a Groucho Marxist)
Wed. Nov. 23, 7 - 9 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham
Book Launch with author Ted Schmidt who in the 50’s  grew up in the midst of Toronto’s Jewish community and during the 6-Day War in June 1967 cheered on the Israelis. “Of course I did. I knew nothing of Palestinian history, knew no Arabs and was totally committed to the Jewish state. This led me to become the first Canadian educator to teach the Nazi holocaust in depth. For this I was honoured by Bnai Brith. Then in 1990 I made the mistake of travelling to Israel/Palestine, the first of my three “heartbreak tours.” I saw another reality and this changed me forever. Groucho Marx quipped,”Who do you believe me or your eyes.” I chose to believe my eyes and I saw the the damage Zionism was doing to both Palestinians, Israelis and the Jewish diaspora. I concluded that maybe the biggest occupation in the Holy Land was that of Judaism by Zionism.
http://beitzatoun.org/event/book-launch-almost-i-was-a-catholic-zionist/?mc_cid=ff2ba129e1&mc_eid=98329828f0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cold Science: The Cold War and Environmental Science in the Canadian Arctic
Wed, Nov 23, 7 - 9 p.m.
Rm 52 (basement, east wing) University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T
All are welcome. A Science for Peace Lecture by Stephen Bocking.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do Not Resist
Wed. Nov. 23, 9:15 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)
If you know the names Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, you may have wondered: why are so many black men dying at the hands of police officers? And if you’ve seen the resultant protests in Ferguson and Baltimore, you may have further asked: are those police officers or army units? Do Not Resist offers a powerful response with its fast-paced exposé of the militarization of US police departments. This Tribeca Film Festival Best Documentary winner and Hot Docs favourite puts viewers in the center of the action—from a ride-along with a South Carolina SWAT team, to a police training seminar teaching the importance of “righteous violence”—and crafts a damning picture of an institutional complicity that can kill.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=57986~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Parkdale Tenants Speak Out
Wed. Nov. 23, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Park dale Library, 1303 Queen W, basement
Parkdale renters tell their stories and discuss fighting back to save their rental units in small buildings and houses.
facebook.com/events/312332892484893

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Regent Park Film Festival
Wed - Sat. Nov 23 - 26
Daniels Spectrum, 585 Dundas Street East
We are Toronto's only free community film festival, dedicated to making film accessible and presenting works that show that no one place or person has just one story. Featuring 60+ movies as well as a family program, panels, workshops and more. All are welcome, with a focus on inviting those of us from low income and public housing communities.
regentparkfilmfestival.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Prison in Twelve Landscapes
Thurs. Nov 24, 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Regent Park Film Festival, 585 Dundas Street E.
Opening Short: HUMAN( 2 min), directed by Anwar Floyd-Pruitt. A powerful performance piece that explores the impact of hateful language.
THE PRISON IN TWELVE LANDSCAPES (87 min), directed by Brett Story, How does the prison system permeate everyday life in invisible and unrecognizable ways? How are prisons profitable? Who is safe and protected? Who is disproportionately policed and criminalized? A winner of the Hot Docs 2016 Special Jury Prize, The Prison In Twelve Landscapes presents a series of vignettes that comment on the prison system and its embeddedness into the very fabric of American society, without ever including a single shot behind prison walls.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1769830993291343/
http://regentparkfilmfestival.com/program/the-prison-in-twelve-landscapes/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Investing in Low Carbon Assets – How to Unlock Carbon Opportunities
Thurs. Nov. 24, 5 - 7:30 p.m.
Rotman School of Management, U of T,105 St George Street
Come for a panel discussion and networking reception surrounding sustainability and reducing our carbon emissions. As recently as 2010, climate change was perceived in the World Economic Forum’s annual Global Risk Survey to be an emerging risk of moderate likelihood and impact. Three years later, failure of climate change mitigation and adaptation became one of the five most impactful risks and, by 2016, it was number one. The global acceptance of the urgency of this risk brought 195 countries together at the Paris climate conference (COP21) in December 2015 to adopt the first-ever universal, legally binding global climate deal. This agreement sets out an action plan to limit global warming to below 2°C this century above pre-industrial levels, and pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5°C.
How to get there? Shifting government policies, technological advances and more robust data to increase understanding of and ability to predict physical risks will be key. But what policies, technologies and data? And how will we align our own efforts with initiatives from other countries (and even our own provinces!) to ensure we’re ultimately achieving the same global objective? The University of Toronto presents a candid discussion between representatives from government and Canada’s pension funds to identify strategies for unlocking low carbon opportunities across a range of asset classes and investors. What policy changes can governments make to encourage the massive levels of investment needed to transition to a low carbon economy? And how can investors work with the public and private sectors to protect themselves from today’s number one global risk? Tickets: $50
https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/ProfessionalDevelopment/Events/UpcomingEvents/20161124InvestingCarbonLens

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop City Budget Cuts: Deputation Training Workshop
Thur. Nov. 24, 6 - 8 p.m.
OPSEU Education Centre, 31 Wellesley E
Preparation for the public hearings on the City Budget being held in early January. Free. Reserve.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/stop-city-budget-cuts-deputation-training-workshop-tickets-29336365860

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

End Violence Against Women and Girls - Orange the World
Fri. Nov. 25, 4:30 p.m.
Nathan Phillips Square, T.O. City Hall, Queen and Bay
Wear something orange. Nov. 25 is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Grandmothers Advocacy Network and Canadian Federation of University Women are organizing this vigil.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anatomy Of Violence: How To Stop Rape
Fri. Nov. 25, 6:30 p.m.
TIFF Bell Lightbox, 350 King W
World Premier Screening of Deepa Mehta's new film followed by a panel discussion on violence against women w/ Senator Ratna Omidvar, Wendy Cukier (Diversity Institute Ryerson), Peter Sloly (former Deputy Police Chief Toronto), Sandy Simpson & Suvercha Pasricha (CAMH). Moderated by NOW Magazine Senior Entertainment Editor Susan G Cole. $10-$14.
http://www.tiff.net/films/anatomy-of-violence

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Adopt-a-Street-Tree Information Session
Sat. Nov. 26, 1 - 3 p.m.
Bloor/Gladstone Library, 1101 Bloor W
Learn how to care for street trees in your community. Free. Pre-register.
http://yourleaf.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How To Start A Revolution
Sat. Nov. 26, 7 p.m.
Noor Cultural Centre, 123 Wynford
Screening of the 2011 documentary about Nobel Peace Prize nominee Gene Sharp, part two of In Honour Of Dr Ursula Franklin series on non-violence. Free. In the Auditorium.
http://www.noorculturalcentre.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fueling Our Future: Is Renewable Doable?
Sun., Nov. 27, 7 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave
Can we meet our energy needs with renewables? Is a healthy world possible? We take a look at the considerable strides being made in Europe as they take strong action to transition to renewable energy and consider possible paths forward for an energy revolution. Discussion will follow the screening. Speaker: Jose Etcheverry, York University
http://www.tcff.ca/about/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

4th Annual Cycle Toronto Advocacy Forum
Sun. Nov. 27, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
3rd Floor, Metro Hall, 55 John St. (John and Richmond)
Want to know how Cycle Toronto works, find out about city decision-making, and learn how to make your voice heard? Meet your neighbours and learn how you can shape our city. This is an all-day event which is free for Cycle Toronto members. Lunch is provided and there will be social event afterwards.  Cost: Free for Members, $30 for Non-Members (Membership Incl.) Contact mark at cycleto.ca for more information.
https://www.cycleto.ca/civicrm/event/info?id=12&reset=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Indigenous Rights at the Supreme Court
Wed. Nov. 30, 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Supreme Court of Canada, 301 Wellington St., Ottawa
On November 30th, on unceded Algonquin territory in Ottawa, Clyde River Inuit and the Chippewas of the Thames First Nation are heading to the Supreme Court of Canada to uphold the legal right of Indigenous Peoples to be consulted on energy projects that will impact their communities.  A win at the court could be a watershed moment for the future of Indigenous rights and environmental justice. We need YOU to be there to show your support for Indigenous communities fighting on the front lines of fossil fuel extraction. Join us for a powerful and uplifting day of action outside the Supreme Court in Ottawa. Book your bus tickets from Toronto here.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bus-tickets-supreme-court-rally-clyde-river-and-chippewas-of-the-thames-tickets-28556329751
https://www.facebook.com/events/1886631598232420/
Contribute to the legal fees: https://www.gofundme.com/chippewas

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beit Zatoun Events
http://beitzatoun.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: