T.O. Greenspiration Events: Voice your concerns

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 11 21:07:45 EST 2016

Hi friends. This is the last newsletter of the year -- blessings of the season!
-angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Civil Society Responds to Release of Canada’s National Framework for Climate Action
Honouring our Paris climate commitment means moving to a 100 percent renewable energy economy by mid-century. Parts of the framework announced today point in the right direction, but we won’t free ourselves from fossil fuels fast enough to avoid dangerous levels of warming if we allow oil companies to build new tar sands pipelines and liquefied natural gas export facilities that lock us into high levels of carbon pollution for the next 50 years.
http://climateactionnetwork.ca/2016/12/09/civil-society-responds-release-canadas-national-framework-climate-action/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Before you fill out the federal gov't's national survey on democratic reform, read this page by Fair Vote Canada
http://mycanadiandemocracy.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's Environmental Progress Report by the Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA)
Transporation  - Fail
Climate Change - Fail
Toxics - Pass
Waste - Needs work
http://www.torontoenvironment.org/torontos_environmental_progress?utm_campaign=progressreport&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Killer Whales & Kinder Morgan
Approval of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain project will have significant consequences for inhabitants of the Salish Sea. 2 min. video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=som7aU2K4tY

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eight Solutions to Canada’s Housing Crisis
From co-ops to tax reform to municipal zoning, we have tools to provide homes for everyone.
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2016/12/10/Eight-Solutions-Canada-Housing-Crisis/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell Council not to cut services and to invest in transit, good jobs and affordable housing
http://torontocandobetter.ca/take-action/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

‘Part of us died too,’ pedestrian's husband tells court
Court never heard a reason that Elizabeth Taylor's minivan jumped a curb and fatally slammed into Erica Stark, 42. For killing a pedestrian on the sidewalk she received a $1000 fine and driving ban for 1 month. Advocates are calling on the Ontario government to adopt “vulnerable road user laws” pioneered in Oregon, and adopted in other U.S. cities, with an aim to eliminate traffic deaths of pedestrians and cyclists by cars/trucks. They would also like to see fines of up to $50,000, significant driving bans and significant sentences of community service, rather than jail time as well as reduced speed limits.
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2016/12/05/part-of-us-died-too-pedestrians-husband-tells-court.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally: Islamophobia at the intersections
The Centre for Social Innovation and Rania El Mugammar present a panel discussion and Q&A that explores manifestations of Islamophobia in the context of Canada from the lens of diverse folks with connections to Islam. This 2 hour video recording of the public event is for anyone wanting to learn about how we can address Islamophobia together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h011XQhZE

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario is backtracking on clean, safe renewable energy and doubling down on nuclear energy
It is a dangerous direction, and one we need to change quickly. Please consider making a financial tax-deductible contribution to the Ontario Clean Air Alliance, the organization I work for. With your help we can move ON onto a 100% renewable future.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/you-can-get-ontario-back-on-track/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tell the Wynne government you want a 100% Renewable Ontario
Petition: http://www.100reontario.org/sign.php <http://www.100reontario.org/sign.php>
You can also speak out through the ON government's official energy plan comment form before Friday, Dec. 16.
http://bit.ly/2gPeArg <http://bit.ly/2gPeArg>
Please tell our government that the time has come for us to join the global movement towards 100% renewable energy.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Should I Get the Flu Shot? CDC Data Raise Concerns - By Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
Numerous peer-reviewed scientific studies have shown that the flu vaccine is not effective either at reducing the flu or reducing flu-related deaths. Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that getting the flu vaccine every year may cause damage to the immune system.
http://www.ecowatch.com/should-i-get-the-flu-shot-2132041142.html

Vaccines: Miscellany, A - Z
https://www.janetsplanet.ca/blog/vaccines-miscellany-a-z

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Looking for live-in homecare job. I’m a mature, health conscious woman.
Please contact me: Dianne Knight <knight.dianne at gmail.com> or 416 551 7259

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pickering City Council Meeting
Mon. Dec. 12, 7 pm
Pickering City Hall
Make a deputation, attend as a witness, or send them an email. Tell them you want the Pickering Nuclear station dismantled immediately after shutting down, rather than waiting 30 years.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/pwaterfront/

And please sign the petition to Close Pickering in 2018 when its current licence expires:
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/close-pickering/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Apology
Mon. Dec. 12, 8:45 p.m.
Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor W.
The Apology chronicles the inspirational story of “comfort women” fighting in their 80s and 90s. These women were forced into sexual slavery in Japan during World War Two and are now seeking justice and—yes—an apology. Affectionately referred to as “grandmas,” the film follows Grandma Adela, whose greatest regret is that she never told her husband about her past; Grandma Cao, who rose above her tragedy to adopt a daughter; and Grandma Gil, who tirelessly travels Asia to tell her story. Meet these indomitable women and discover a story too often untold.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=58647~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&epguid=6395d239-7dd9-47d4-a22f-81a783873e12

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All Governments Lie: Truth, Deception, and the Spirit of I.F. Stone
Dec. 9 - 15
Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor W.
What role has a complacent media played in spreading misinformation, creating false equivalencies and spreading ideologically-driven messages, without checking the facts? This exciting, eye-opening documentary from Vancouver-based filmmaker and TV news veteran Fred Peabody follows the journalistic mavericks who are exposing government and corporate deception, regardless of intense and increasing personal risk. Independent journalists Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! (who was recently at the centre of a controversial legal case), Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, Matt Taibbi and others are changing the face of journalism with a keen and expert eye. “The media is absolutely essential to the functioning of a democracy,” says Goodman. “It's not our job to cozy up to power.”
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=58138~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

War Resisters Holiday Fundraiser
Mon. Dec. 12, Seasonal Dinner at 6 pm, Update and Film Screening at 7 pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Join us for a holiday dinner and special screening of America – Love It Or Leave It (a film by Tom Shandel and Kirwan Cox, narrated by Peter Gzowski) about Vietnam War resisters in Canada. Alyssa Manning, legal counsel, will provide a brief update on the situation of U.S. Iraq War resisters seeking asylum in Canada. Suggested donation $20 or pwyc
www.resisters.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Budget Town Hall Discussion Forum
Mon. Dec. 12, 9:30 am - noon
YWCA Elm Centre, 87 Elm Street
Join Social Planning Toronto and community partners to discuss the upcoming City Budget, and learn more about the City programs and services we all rely on such as: • Transit • Housing • Shelters • Public Health • Childcare • Parks • Water • Poverty Reduction • Social Services • Roads
http://bit.ly/2fbsjvZ
For more info: Susan Kwong: skwong at socialplanningtoronto.org or call 416-562-8110.
To register online please go to http://bit.ly/2fbsjvZ or call Mary Micallef at 416-351-0095x251

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Rise and Fall of Cheap Nature: Work, Power, and Capital in Making & Transcending the Planetary Crisis
Tuesday, December 13, 7 pm
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street
Finance. Climate. Food. Work. How are the crises of the twenty-first century connected? With Jason. W. Moore, Sociology, Binghamton University and author of Capitalism and the Web of Life (2015). Commentary from: Adrian Smith, Law and Legal Studies, Carleton University and Tania Hernandez Cervantes, Environmental Studies, York University
https://www.facebook.com/events/1728644937457234/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Urgent action at Liberal offices to make every vote count
Tuesday, December 13, 12 noon
MP Bill Morneau's office, 430 Parliament St
Volunteers from the Leadnow community in over 35 Liberal ridings are hosting “Make Every Vote Count” actions on Dec.13th. It looks like the Liberals are backing away from their flagship promise to “make every vote count” in the next election. It’s time to send a clear message that breaking this promise could cost Trudeau’s government the support of progressive voters he needs to have a chance of winning the next election.
RSVP at http://bit.ly/2gtUG7L <http://bit.ly/2gtUG7L>
Unable to attend but want to chip in? - http://bit.ly/2gjSUmh <http://bit.ly/2gjSUmh>
https://leadnow2.nationbuilder.com/keepthepromisetoronto <https://leadnow2.nationbuilder.com/keepthepromisetoronto>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Harm Reduction 101
Free 2 day workshop
Tues. and Wed. Dec. 13 and 14, 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Regent Park Community Centre, 402 Shuter St.
Key harm reduction principles; housing; indigenous peoples and HR; stigma; STIs; overdose prevention; peer programs. Presented by Toronto Harm Reduction Alliance and Toronto Public Health.
https://tph.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/thc/harm-101-dec-13-14-70-1/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Bank of Canada – A Ray of Hope - "How To Make Canada Really Prosperous Again”
Thurs. Dec. 15, Doors 6:30 pm, Lecture 7:30 pm
OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor St. W.
The Hon. Paul Hellyer, former Minister of Defence of Canada and acting Prime Minister will deliver a powerful lecture that will explain:
- Why the U.S. voted against globalization
- That Canada has nothing to fear from U.S. protectionism
- The CETA constitutional challenge launched by Paul Hellyer and others in federal court
- How Canada, by using the power over money and banking guaranteed in our constitution, can reverse the austerity economics of recent decades and launch a new era of prosperity
- Detail ‘The New Social Contract between the Government and the People of Canada’
https://www.facebook.com/events/661412417361526/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally and March for Homeless Shelters
Thursday, December 15, 4 pm
Toronto City Hall, Queen & Bay, near Osgoode or Queen stations
Toronto’s homeless shelter system is bursting at the seams. This is a city that drips with wealth yet abandons homeless people to die on the streets or face conditions of brutal overcrowding that denies them basic dignity and jeopardizes their health. All summer long homeless shelters have been packed, and now as we head into winter, there is real risk that even survival spaces like the Warming Centres and Out of the Cold facilities won’t be able to handle the overflow. The City must stop cutting shelter beds in the central core, and open new space now if are to avoid tragedies this winter.  You've seen the film that documents the crisis ( https://youtu.be/FnfNstiArQo ), now join us in the streets to make sure this winter isn't a deadly one for those the City is abandoning out in the cold.
https://www.facebook.com/events/201299536945500/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dust Off That Top Hat and Shake Out Your Boa and Come to The “Funeral” Procession for Honest Ed’s
Thur, December 15, 6:30 p.m. for hot chocolate and nibbles to warm you up for the Procession that starts at 7 pm.
Meet outside Southern Accent, 595 Markham Street (near Bloor and Bathurst)
There will be a New Orleans’ Second Line-inspired procession to celebrate the life of Honest Ed’s and Mirvish Village. Gussy up, bring an instrument, make a float and let’s dance, sing and parade around Honest Ed’s and through Mirvish Village, paying tribute to these unique and remarkable places that have had such impact on so many Torontonians and our neighbourhoods’ character and history. Wear your best Mardi Gras beads — or those ones you picked up at the Pride Parade — bring an umbrella rain-or-shine, try to find a white kerchief to wave around and, of course, bring a bunch of louder-the-better noise makers. What a grand farewell to Honest Ed’s and Mirvish Village!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Voice your concerns about Bill C-51, the Anti-Terrorism Act
Deadline: December 15
The next step in our fight against Bill C-51 is nearing an end: the government’s online consultation on national security closes on December 15.  Have you voiced your concerns about Bill C-51? The Liberals have promised to repeal the “problematic elements” of C-51, in response to the hundreds of thousands of us who spoke out against C-51 last year. But now, we’ve heard the security agencies are pushing back. They are mobilizing people to participate in the consultation, asking to uphold - and even strengthen - Bill C-51. We can’t let this happen, and need to counter their submissions. OpenMedia, one of the organizations that has been leading the fight against C-51, has put together an easy-to-use system for participating in the consultation. It provides suggested talking points, and cuts through the arcane, intimidating details on the government’s site.
To participate, go to https://saveoursecurity.ca/ <https://saveoursecurity.ca/>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anti Oppression 101: Creative Tools for Healing and Liberation
Sat. Dec. 17, 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation, Regent Park, 585 Dundas E.
This workshop is accessible to a wide range of learners and it explores the role of community spaces in creating equity. The workshop explores internalized, interpersonal and institutionalized oppressions, unequal power dynamics, social media and art as documentation, celebration and tools for deinstitutionalized knowledge generation and transmission. PWYC
https://www.universe.com/events/anti-oppression-101-creative-tools-for-healing-liberation-tickets-JW513M

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

She-Made Network Market
Sat. Dec. 17, 1 - 5 p.m.
Women on the Move, 2111 Dundas W. (near Ronces)
Experience some handmade treasures and workshops on how to make some of the products - crafts, art, jewelry, health products and more. Support local women and businesses trying to change the world.
https://www.facebook.com/events/542527919282385/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Vegan Winter Market
Sunday, December 18, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
The Great Hall Toronto, 1087 Queen Street West
Don't miss this indoor holiday vegan market. There are fun activities for the kids while you do your last minute holiday shopping from a hand-picked selection of some of the best small, local businesses offering vegan gift options in Toronto. Tickets $5 - Kids 12 & under free!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1677265802554584/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winter Fundraiser for the Allan Gardens Area Street Community
Thursday, December 22 ** Notice Date Change **
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave (St George Subway Stn, Bedford St exit, 1 blk N of Bloor)
Festive Dinner, Silent Auction, Raffles, Local Musicians. $20 Admission $10 Low Income
We are a group of Urban Indigenous folk and Allies who come together every Sunday, (all weather), 12 noon until 3 pm, to provide a nutritious meal and distribute clean, gently used donated clothing to members of the Homeless and Low Income in the downtown area of Allan Gardens, (Carlton & Sherborne). We also do weekly Street Patrol Outreach, bringing supplies directly to those in need. We are self-funded, and we are always grateful for donations. We are also looking for restaurant support for some meals. We will be having a New or Gently Used Clothing Donation Drive at the door: socks, hats, mitts/gloves, scarves, or even Timmies Cards ($5 loaded, is appreciated, if able).
Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1638285583135291/?ti=cl
Group: https://m.facebook.com/AllanGardensShare/
Email: AllanGardensShare at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eco Art Exhibition
Jan. 4 - 5
Gallery 1313, 1313 Queen West
A group curated exhibition
www.g1313.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mental Health First Aid
Jan. 4-5
Centre for Social Innovation, Regent Park, 585 Dundas
This is a 2-day certification course offered through the Mental Health Commission of Canada. This course will equip you with the skills to identify and treat those in acute mental health distress. Specifically you will learn techniques and strategies dealing with addiction issues, anxiety disorders, mood disorders and psychosis. This training is taught by two certified master's level trained mental health clinicians with extensive clinical and educational experience. This is a course that is open to all - no mental health training or experience required or expected. This is as valuable as first aid training is to physical health and wellness.
https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/mental-health-first-aid/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: