T.O. Grenspiration Events: Women's March Platform

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 22 23:10:33 EST 2017

---------------------------------------

Read The Women’s March On Washington’s Beautifully Intersectional Policy Platform
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/584086c7be6594762f5ec56e/t/5877e24a29687f9613e546ff/1484251725855/WMW+Guiding+Vision+%26+Definition+of+Principles.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Naomi Klein on Trump Election: "This is a Corporate Coup d’État”
15 min. interview on Democracy Now
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/20/naomi_klein_on_trump_election_this

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Scarborough Transit Action for Evidence Based Decision Making at T.O. City Hall
4 min. video of action by local citizens at T.O. City Hall, calling on Councillors to use evidence based decision making to ensure that the Scarborough subway is the best transit plan for Toronto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQxiGtnhck

Seven-stop Scarborough LRT the best option for transit riders - petition
https://www.change.org/p/mayor-john-tory-seven-stop-scarborough-lrt-the-best-option-for-transit-riders

Transit advocates lodge complaint over controversial Scarborough subway debate
Misleading briefing note provided by staff misaligned Scarborough’s transit future, TTCriders says.
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2017/01/11/transit-advocates-lodge-complaint-over-controversial-scarborough-subway-debate.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global threat to primates concerns us all
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170118143757.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund: Call for Applications
Application Deadline: Friday, February 17, 2017
Grants will go out to projects/organizations by April 2017
Groundswell is now accepting grant applications for 2017! For projects and organizations with a vision of transforming society by fighting systemic injustice. For vital work that is not government-funded and not charity. We are excited to review applications for $500-$3000
www.groundswellfund.ca
Apply online @ groundswellfund.ca/apply
We are also accepting donations! http://groundswellfund.ca/donate/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

DISOBEDIENCE The rise of the global fossil fuel resistance.
Disobedience is a new film, 41 minutes, about a new phase of the climate movement: courageous action that is being taken on the front lines of the climate crisis on every continent, led by regular people fed up with the power and pollution of the fossil fuel industry. Watch it here:
http://watchdisobedience.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Environmentally friendly home needed
Can offer care for people and pets. Thirty-two years experience in wellness to share.
Call Dianne: 416 551 7259 or https://www.linkedin.com/in/dianneknight and http://dianneemf.com/consulting.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Friends and Families for Safe Streets Advocacy Group - launch
Tues. Jan. 24, 6 - 8 p.m.
Metro Hall, Rm 302, King and John St.
Since the successful launch of the Friends and Families for Safe Streets in October of 2016 we have been busy. We have established monthly peer support meetings for those who have survived a serious collision with a vehicle, and for those bereaved as a result of a collision, and now we are ready to launch the other part of our work to make the streets safer. Please join us on with the presentation of campaigns we are hoping to get you excited about. With your help, we can make the streets safer for everyone and reverse the trend of increasing deaths and serious injuries on our roadways.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Why Should I Care About The State of Journalism?
Wed. Jan. 25, 7:30 - 9 p.m.
The Wallace Gastropub, 1954 Yonge
Discussion about what happens to our democracy when investigative journalism declines and fake news and echo chambers impact worldviews, actions and votes? Journalists Susanna Kelley and David Gray-Donald lead the discussion.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-state-of-journalism-tickets-31084956943

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Invasive species in our Forests
Wed. Jan. 25, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room UC 144 of University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
With Sandy Smith, Professor of Forestry, University of Toronto. A Science for Peace event.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/invasive-species-in-our-forests

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Should charities have the same free expression rights as corporations?
Wed. Jan. 25, 5:30 - 7 pm
Rogers Communications Centre, Room 103, Ryerson U, 80 Gould Street
In recent years, the Canada Revenue Agency has launched political audits of selected charities deemed critical of government policy. The resulting outcry has focused attention on Canada's treatment of charities and what role they should be able to play in policy discussions.  An expert panel discusses the restrictions on charities, what it means for citizens' free speech and democracy, and what should be done.
https://cfe.ryerson.ca/events/should-charities-have-same-free-expression-rights-corporations

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

City Budget Meeting for the Community
Thursday, Jan. 26, 7 – 9 pm
Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton Secondary School, 1515 Bloor Street West
To help promote understanding and transparency about the City of Toronto’s 2017 Budget process, Councillors Perks and Doucette will be holding a public meeting to discuss the City's Long-Term Financial Plan and the 2017 budget. This evening is an opportunity have a conversation about how we raise revenue, how we manage our finances, and how we invest in our City. This will be a joint meeting is open to anyone interested. A background on the Budget and the Long Term Financial Plan can be found online: bit.ly/2iYpmgM
Councillor_doucette at toronto.ca, 416-392-4072, ward13.ca
Councillor_perks at toronto.ca, 416-392-7919, gordperks.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Stairs
Thur. Jan. 26, 6:30 pm
George Brown College, Room 128, 200 King Street East
The Community Action Centre with the School of Social and Community Services is presenting a free screening of the documentary The Stairs. There will be a Q&A with the cast and director of the film after the screening. The Stairs is a documentary about the survival of street-involved community in Toronto’s Regent Park. The film explores topics of sex work, substance use, homelessness and sexual violence through a harm reduction lens. The event includes a free vegan dinner with gluten free options. After the screening there will be a Q&A with the director and cast.
www.thestairsdoc.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/1331075966937367/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The How-To's of Co-Buying
Thur. Jan. 26, 6:30 pm
The Garage at the Centre for Social Innovation, 720 Bathurst St. (s. of Bloor)
Learn everything you need to know about co-buying as a way to enter the housing market. Our experienced panelists will walk through the co-buying process from start to finish. Join us to learn about choosing the right property, financing, and legal arrangements for co-buyers.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-how-tos-of-co-buying-tickets-30968325094

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What's the Matter with America?
Thur. January 26, 6:30 pm
Rogers Communications Centre, 80 Gould St (Room 204 - Eaton Lecture Room), Ryerson U
Department of Politics and Public Administration, and Phyllis Clarke Memorial Lecture present: Thomas Frank, founder of The Baffler magazine, author of “What’s the Matter With Kansas?” and “Listen Liberal,” and past columnist for The Wall Street Journal and Harper’s Magazine speaks on Donald Trump’s election and what it means for the USA.
http://www.ryerson.ca/politics/news-events/events/170126-phyllis_clarke_lecture/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Border through Campus: The Politics of Status and Sanctuary
Thursday, Jan. 26, 7 pm
Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave
This salon will explore the politics of status and nationality on university campuses, the shifting nature of bordering practices, and efforts to transform campuses into sanctuary spaces.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1204439819592525/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Money Creation in the Debt Economy
Friday Jan. 27, 7 - 9 pm
519 Community Centre, Room 201, Fireplace Room, 519 Church St.
Shifting to a sustainable society will require a degrowth approach. We must expose the nexus between current money, banking and financial circuits, and the unsustainable growth and wealth accumulation of the neofeudal state.
Supporting text: http://attac-ontario.org/money-creation-in-the-debt.pdf
Proposals for further reading: http://attac-ontario.org/readings-to-money-creation.pdf
Contact: Dix Sandbeck  dix at attac-ontario.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Creative Facilitation: Tools, Tips and Models
Sat. Jan. 28, 1 - 4 pm
OISE, U of T, 252 Bloor St. W.
Having many brains, hearts and minds in a room together is an opportunity for building community and creating dynamic spaces for generative solution making. We'll go over tips on what makes events runs smoothly. We'll also explore different ways to design workshops, meetings and trainings that engage and draw out the collective wisdom in the room. Together we'll explore different models of working with groups large and small, including Open Space Technology, Collective Story Harvesting, World Cafe and more.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/creative-facilitation-tools-tips-and-models-tickets-28703644373

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Women and NonViolence / Village Movement in India
Sun. Jan. 29, 12:30 - 2 pm,
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.
Lyn Adamson speaks on women and nonviolence in the Ekta Parishad land rights movement in India. Free. Come and be inspired!
lyn.adamson9 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Life Of Activism: Natalie Zemon Davis & Chandler Davis
Sun. Jan. 29, 2 p.m.
Winchevsky Centre, 585 Cranbrooke
The United Jewish People’s Order hosts a talk with the UJPO members and lifelong social justice activists who came to Canada during the McCarthy era in the U.S.  Free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: