T.O. Greenspiration Events: Rising up and raising voices

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 5 18:02:14 EST 2017

2016 Officially Declared Hottest Year on Record
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/2016-declared-hottest-year-on-record-21070

Petition to Mayor John Tory Put climate action in the 2017 budget
City staff are requesting $1.60 / household from the next budget to roll out a climate change plan - the price of a cup of coffee. But so far, there's no budget commitment. Please sign.
https://www.change.org/p/climatefast-let-s-make-canada-s-largest-city-carbon-free

Do you understand global warming? Try the climate change quiz.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2017/jan/19/understand-global-warming-climate-change-quiz

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Justin Trudeau, Tweets Are Not Enough - Open Our Borders! - LEAP Video
Tweets are not enough! We want action from our Canadian government in the face of Trump’s racist Muslim travel ban. Please share this video and call on Justin Trudeau to open our borders to refugees and asylum seekers. Click, march, organize, repeat! See you in the streets.
https://www.facebook.com/naomikleinofficial/videos/10154943221789919/?utm_source=The+Leap&utm_campaign=a9008d3024-It_s_our_Anniversary_9_27_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d6aa0a6f00-a9008d3024-227902249&ct=t(It_s_our_Anniversary_9_27_2016)

Tell Trudeau: Welcome Those Fleeing Violence and Deportation Under Trump
Petition by No One Is Illegal
https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/tell-trudeau-welcome-those-fleeing-violence-and-deportation-under-trump?source=noii&bucket=noii

Ask Your MP to Welcome Refugees
https://act.leadnow.ca/ask-your-mp-to-welcome-refugees/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Noam Chomsky: With Trump Election, We Are Now Facing Threats to the Survival of the Human Species
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/2/noam_chomsky_with_trump_election_we

The Immigration Ban is a Headfake, and We’re Falling For It
This article blew my mind. It's analysis of the Trump administration is very dark, and plausible. Please share with me your thoughts because I am frightened now.
https://medium.com/@jakefuentes/the-immigration-ban-is-a-headfake-and-were-falling-for-it-b8910e78f0c5#.th97r5n4h

Prime Minister Trudeau: Withdraw your invitation to President Donald Trump
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/The_Prime_Minister_of_Canada_Justin_Trudeau_Withdraw_your_invitation_to_President_Trump/?rc=fb&utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=petition-405619-The_Prime_Minister_of_Canada_Justin_Trudeau_Withdraw_your_invitation_to_President_Trump&utm_term=KLDaab%2Ben

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto is a Sanctuary City
Toronto is a sanctuary city, with a formal policy allowing migrants to access services regardless of immigration status. We have committed to ensuring all residents of Toronto can access services without fear. Last week Toronto City Council reaffirmed that commitment to work in solidarity with sanctuary cities in the United States who are standing up to hateful policies. Councillor Joe Cressy took the lead and City Council adopted his motion asking the Federal Government to speed up the processing of privately-sponsored refugees.
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.MM24.23
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.MM24.10

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Islamophobia at the Intersections - How to be an Ally
https://socialinnovation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Islamophobia-Knowledge-Production-Tool-D3-Jan-30.pdf?mc_cid=2b1aed9199&mc_eid=7eb5cb97ae

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Strange Story Behind Canada's Controversial 'Eco-Capitalist' Organization - Lawrence Solomon, the Green Beanery and Climate Denial
Ever been to the Green Beanery (corner Bloor and Bathurst)? An eco café whose proceeds fund Energy Probe, which is an anti-green energy, pro coal, climate denying, free-market group.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a-look-into-canadas-most-controversial-environmental-organization

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycle and Recycle Calendar - 2006 - 2017 - 2023
I have some of these beautiful, full-color wall calendars. If you'd like one, email me or send me $10 and include your mailing address: 160 John St. #300, Toronto M5V 2E5

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ALL clothes that are donated to clothing resellers/clothing donation boxes will be sold or recycled, even ripped and stained clothing. The clothes that can’t be resold in Canada are bundled and shipped overseas for reuse and recycling. Textiles are valuable and do not belong in the landfill.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

‘Very serious’ allegations over Scarborough subway debate referred to auditor general
Complaint from residents, transit advocacy group is at ‘its core” about alleged wrongdoing of public service, watchdog says
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2017/02/04/very-serious-allegations-over-scarborough-subway-debate-referred-to-auditor-general.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

RIP Rob Stewart
The director of the acclaimed documentary 'Sharkwater' disappeared mysteriously after a deep dive off the coast of Key Largo on Tuesday. For 72 hours, crews scoured the ocean. On Friday, shortly after the search for Stewart was suspended, divers found his body on the bottom of the ocean floor.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2154621/rob-stewart-obituary

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CarbonFreeTO. Put Climate in the budget
Monday, February 6, 7 - 9 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave., 1 block north of St. George subway, Bedford exit.
Learn more about the TRANSFORMTO recommendations to help our city reduce emissions 30% by 2020 and get started on a path to 80% emissions cut by 2050. Join other climate activists to develop a ward by ward strategy to support this campaign both for the 2017 budget and in the year ahead. Please join us!
https://www.facebook.com/events/746948902126661/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

An Army of Problem Solvers
What does economic reconciliation mean?
Mon. Feb. 6, 4 p.m.
Emanuel College, 75 Queen’s Park Cres.
A discussion with Author Shaun Loney and Adrian Jacobs, Keeper of the Circle, Sandy Saulteaux Spiritual Centre.
armyofproblemsolvers.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Before the Flood Feature Documentary + Q&A with Experts: Dan Kraus & Julia Langer
Tues. Feb. 7, 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, U of T
From Academy Award®-winning film maker Fisher Stevens and Academy Award winning actor, environmental activist and U.N. Messenger of Peace Leonardo DiCaprio, Before the Flood presents a riveting account of the dramatic changes now occurring around the world due to climate change, as well as the actions we as individuals and as a society can take to prevent catastrophic disruption of life on our planet. The film follows DiCaprio as he travels to five continents and the Arctic speaking to scientists, world leaders, activists and local residents to gain a deeper understanding of this complex issue and investigate concrete solutions to the most pressing environmental challenge of our time.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/science-at-the-movies-presents-before-the-flood-tickets-31109369963

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Solutions Launch Party - Agents of Change
Tues. Feb. 7, 6 - 9 p.m.
CSI, 192 Spadina Ave
The Centre for Social Innovation, in partnership with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change and an amazing advisory committee of industry leaders, invites you to join us at the launch event of Agents of Change: Climate Solutions, a hands-on, impact-driven accelerator for social enterprises scaling promising products, services and technologies that contribute to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. $10
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/csi-presents-agents-of-change-climate-solutions-launch-party-tickets-30964755417?mc_cid=1c3222f61e&mc_eid=7eb5cb97ae

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Resisting Erasure, Rising Up and Raising Voices
Tues. Feb. 7, 7 – 9:30 p.m.
Eaton Lecture Hall, Room RCC204, 80 Gould Street, Ryerson U
Join us when local activists and artists, Syrus Marcus Ware, Hibaq Gelle, and Hawa Y. Mire, speak out about their perspectives on creative resistance against black erasure and anti-black violence, collective activism, media, art and race. The panel will be moderated by artist, educator and activist, Deanna Bowen.
https://www.facebook.com/events/299582830439902/
For more information, or if you have accessibility needs, email: thestudioformediaactivism at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canada Update 2017 on Nuclear Waste
Tues. Feb. 7, noon
Webinar
An overview and update on the Nuclear Waste Management Organization's efforts to site a deep geological repository for high level nuclear fuel waste and its program and activities in the 9 communities engaged in the NWMO exercise and the 18 associated areas being studied as possible burial sites.
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/4affb742fa21fefe34538d7d4481ef37

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Your Lips
Tues. Feb. 7, 8 p.m.
Comedy Bar, 945 Bloor W.
Stand-up comedy show featuring some of Toronto's best comedians. And the musical talents of Darius and Virgin Mike (minus his Slugs). Come join us for stories of Valentine's wax-idents, the woe of Trudeau, and useful tips on how to pass time in the boonies with just a hammer and rope. Tickets are $15/person. A fundraiser for Toronto350, your local branch of the international 350.org climate safety organization.
http://www.toronto350.org/ or email kalina at toronto350.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/645283862346794/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Land And Life In Tkaronto: New Solidarities Toward A Decolonial Future
Tues. Feb. 7, 7 p.m.
Hart House Theatre, 7 Hart House Circle
As Canada celebrates its 150th birthday, this year’s Hancock Lecture addresses the 15,000-year history of Toronto, or Tkaronto, as a home to Indigenous peoples and the ways in which their legacy and language must be recognized, respected and encouraged to flourish. Speaker Anishinaabe artist Susan Blight examines the potential for real change, renewed relationships and the repatriation of Indigenous land and life in Tkaronto. $10, stu free.
http://harthouse.ca/events/hancock-lecture-2017/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Truth, Lies and Democracy: Journalism after Trump
With Olivia Ward, Journalist and Filmmaker
Wed. Feb. 8, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room UC 144 of University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
A Science for Peace event.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facing Climate Change - Webinar with Environmental Commissioner, Dr. Dianne Saxe
Wed. Feb. 8, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
In this webinar, the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario (ECO), Dr. Dianne Saxe, will deliver the first of two webinars on our recent Greenhouse Gas Progress Report, Facing Climate Change. The first webinar will discuss chapters 1 to 3: the science behind climate change and how Ontario contributes to climate change. It will focus on some important questions our report raises, including: • Why is climate change worse than most people think? • How is climate change affecting Ontario now? What’s ahead? • How much does Ontario contribute to climate change? What sectors are the biggest emitters? • Why must we act now?
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3399676039708121089

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fight the False Choice between KXL, DAPL, & Oil Trains: Choose Clean Energy Instead - Webinar
Wed. Feb. 8, 4 - 5:30 p.m.
Please join Winona LaDuke of Honor the Earth, Jane Kleeb of Bold Alliance, and Matt Krogh of Stand.earth in this 90-minute webinar about how Indigenous leaders, community activists, and NGO allies are saying no to both pipelines and oil trains. Free and open to all.
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5177188318751451650

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A zero waste future: how do we get there?
Wednesday, February 8, 7 - 9 p.m.
St. Matthew’s United Church in The Oakwood Room, 729 St. Clair W (one block west of Christie St., enter from Ruston)
Join us for an evening to imagine a zero waste future for Ward 21 and Toronto, and to talk about how we can get there. It is more achievable than you might think! In a zero waste future, waste isn’t wasted. It becomes a valuable resource in a circular economy. Zero waste is good for our environment, our economy, and our community.  Find out where Toronto is on this path, and what remains to be done. Find out why getting organics out of landfill, and out of the recycle bin, is so critical for success. We will end by brainstorming ways to make rescuing organics and recyclables from landfill easier, better, and more popular.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1800007346917910/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally at the Landlord and Tenant Board! Parkdale vs. MetCap
Wed. February 8, 9 am
79 St Clair Avenue East
It's time for Parkdale to stand up to MetCap. Our neighbours at 87 Jameson are on rent strike. They are fighting a big rent increase – 3% above the guideline. The landlord, MetCap, wants tenants in the building to pay for balcony renovations. Meanwhile, MetCap refuses to fix up units, provide proper heat or pest control, or make the entrance to the building and lobby elevators wheelchair accessible.
https://www.facebook.com/events/759094350921952/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vigil for Soleiman Faqiri, suffering from schizophrenia, killed while in custody of Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay, Ontario
Wednesday, February 8, 6 – 8 pm
Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
Soleiman Faqiri was 30 years old. He had schizophrenia. He was arrested and incarcerated in Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay, Ontario. He was supposed to be transferred to a medical facility, but there was a delay, apparently due to a lack of beds. His total stay was 11
days. During that time, his parents tried to visit him on numerous occasions, but each time, they were refused visitation. On his last day, there was an altercation with the guards, which ended with his death on December 15, 2016. While in custody, facility administration was made aware that Soleiman suffered from schizophrenia, yet there have been numerous reports that Soleiman was mistreated at the facility - including being held with hands bound behind his back, in complete isolation, and being pepper sprayed by correctional officers! He had been in solitary confinement and was also in restraints when he died. The family, despite their many and strenuous efforts to find out what happened waited for almost two months for specific answers, and it was only last week that they finally got a very minimal amount of information, verifying what was already assumed: that the guards treatment led directly to Soleiman's death. Today, the Faqiri family is seeking justice for Soleimon and demanding answers from the Ontario government as to how Soleiman's death could have occurred while he was in custody. Please come to the vigil to support the family.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Prospects for Syria: Revolution and Counterrevolution
Thurs. Feb. 9, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
U of T Medical Sciences Building, room MS 2172, 1 King's College Circle
The Syrian people’s struggle continues. After the fall of Aleppo, the future of Syria, the Middle East and the world is set to move from bad to worse. But we cannot afford to abandon the Syrians who are subjected to daily assaults and long-term displacement at the hands of Assadist and ISIS brutality and their respective apologists. We are hoping you'll join us in learning about the Syrian people’s existential struggle and the overwhelming obstacles to bringing about justice. The international researchers we have assembled at the University of Toronto on February 9 will share much needed insight and critical analysis.
https://www.facebook.com/events/698696036959137/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally and Picket: No Cuts to Shelters & Housing Fight Tory's Hypocrisy
Thurs. Feb. 9, 11 am - 1 p.m.
67 Yonge Street [Just south of King]
On February 9, John Tory will be speaking at the C.D. Howe Institute, a right-wing think-tank dedicated to the needs of the rich. He will be assuring Toronto's wealthy that the budget he has in store for 2017 will benefit them. We don't doubt that it will, and we know full well what it will do to the poor and working class people of this city. Built within his austerity budget are devastating cuts to the already failing Shelter, Support and Housing administration. Join us to make sure Budget 2017 isn’t a death sentence for people on the streets, and a push onto the streets for thousands of others desperately holding onto housing with their fingernails. Food will be provided. See video "Bursting at the Seams": http://bit.ly/2gdIFSl  #FightToWin
https://ocaptoronto.wordpress.com/
http://bit.ly/2kzerh8|

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trudeau, Trump and Trade
Thursday, February 9, 12:10 -1 pm
Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George Street, SS 2108, U of T
What is at stake for our future? How will the Trump administration affect Canada’s trade relations with the US? What can we expect from NAFTA renegotiations? Presentations by Raul Burbano, Brittany Smith. All welcome. Pizza lunch will be provided.
USW 1998 NextGen Committee

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CanRoots Toronto
Friday, Feb. 10, 8:30 am - Sat. Feb. 11, 6 pm
Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge St (Yonge and Bloor)
With an amazing agenda in development that profiles the inspiring work of movements like Black Lives Matter, Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women, and the fight for a living wage in Ontario, this is a gathering you do not want to miss. If you are an advocate for social, environmental or economic justice, you want to schedule this into your calendar and plan to join us as we connect across movements, learn from each other, challenge ourselves to hone our organizing skills AND strategize with other lead organizers to build a more progressive province and country.
http://www.canroots.ca/toronto_2017 (link is external)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Love Lab: DIY Lube & Mojo Oil
Fri. Feb. 7, 7 - 9 p.m.
Anarres Natural Health, 749 Dovercourt Road (north of Bloor)
Get that petroleum off your crotch! PEG is NOT your friend! Neither is propylene glycol, glycerin, colouring, fragrances or any of those unreadable chemical ingredients that appear on the labels of commercial sexual lubricants, if they appear on the label at all.Aside from the harmful ingredients and punishing price tag, the lubes come in hormone disrupting, non-refillable plastic, toxifying our planet a further 575 years after use! Come and learn to make your own customized Mojo Massage Oil and DIY with Tracey TieF, Certified Natural Health Practitioner. You'll learn about slippery, water-based, safe, tasty and healing ingredients, and make your own lube for the cost of half a tube.
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/workshop/love-lab-diy-lube-mojo-oil

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Repair Café
Sat. Feb. 11, noon - 4 p.m.
Central Neighbourhood House, 349 Ontario St.
Get broken household items fixed for free and learn while doing it. We´ll have fixers for computers, electronics, small appliances and furniture, clothes and jewellery, book and paper repair, and more. For whatever you need fixin´, bring it on!
http://shapemycity.com/events_new.php?eid=1763#sthash.J3kXsNoj.dpuf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Weekend At Aga Khan Museum
Sat. / Sun. Feb. 11 / 12, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
77 Winford
Visitors will have access to Syria: A Living History and Rebel, Jester, Mystic, Poet: Contemporary Persians plus pop-up performances by local musicians throughout the weekend. Free.
https://www.agakhanmuseum.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

If You Can Keep It: A Handy Guide To Preventing Fascism
Sun. Feb. 12, 7 - 9:30 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Loather (St. George subway)
Interactive workshop by writer/activist Skip Mendler on ways to strengthen democracy and forestall the drift towards authoritarian rule.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: