T.O. Greenspiration Events: Cities going Car-free

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Mar 12 23:08:26 EDT 2017

---------------------------------------

The Skin We’re In is a procedural documentary. It is an investigation. And it is a cry from the heart. Desmond Cole’s journey is not just toward discovery, but toward the unveiling of a desperate, hidden truth: the truth about the skin he’s in. And the Canada we thought we knew. Watch it online:
http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes//the-skin-were-in

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Alternative Federal Budget 2017 - High Stakes, Clear Choices
We're urging the federal government to table a budget that makes good on its promises to reduce income inequality and drive inclusive growth. The measures in this year’s AFB would lift a million Canadians out of poverty, double economic growth to 5.4%, and, at its peak, result in 460,000 new jobs, bringing Canada’s unemployment rate down to 6.4%.
https://www.policyalternatives.ca/afb2017?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Alternative%20Federal%20Budget%202017&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2003/10/17

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Order your Free Potassium Iodide Pills now - before a nuclear accident
They’re free if you live within 50 kms of a nuclear facility, and that includes all of Toronto (Hello Pickering, one of the world’s largest and oldest nuke stations). They will protect you from thyroid cancer if you take them immediately after a nuclear accident. (but not from any other cancer)
https://www.facebook.com/events/319593538443051/
https://preparetobesafe.ca/order

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More cyclists getting doored on city streets - collisions up 58 % in 2016 compared to 2014
In a city with more than 5,000 km of roadway we still only have about 20 km of protected bike lanes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dooring-incidents-1.4015197

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

After a long wait for Scarborough residents, the path to their transit future remains unclear - a Scarborough Transit timeline
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/the-waiting-is-the-hardest-part-tracking-the-scarborough-subwaydebate/article34270677/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Another one bites the dust: Royal Dutch Shell signs deals to sell tarsands assets
Anglo-Dutch energy giant shedding interests in Athabasca, Peace River and other leases
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/shell-oilsands-1.4016874?utm_content=bufferd23ad&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Shell's 1991 warning: climate changing ‘at faster rate than at any time since end of ice age’ - though lobbied for climate inaction
“I honestly feel that this company is guilty of a modern form of crime against humanity."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/28/shell-film-warning-climate-change-rate-faster-than-end-ice-age?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=KIITG+series+2016&utm_term=215557&subid=14647469&CMP=ema-60

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Oslo to Paris, these 12 major cities have plans to go car-free
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/02/these-major-cities-are-starting-to-go-car-free?utm_content=bufferddee4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Economic Imperialism Explained in 2 Minutes
Former 'economic hitman' John Perkins explains how capitalism is responsible for global poverty and political corruption.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dsiufhMu0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CBT resources for mental health
Some good links/resources here by Dan Bilker, the Vancouver psychologist/ researcher who was instrumental in testing the 'depression skills workbook' which is an alternative to automatic SSRI (anti-depressant drug) prescribing.
http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/f4lzf--bvn3q-5kqg2zx6

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Income Tax Clinics
Feb 23-Mar 23: Tuesdays & Thursdays 6-8 pm, Saturdays 10 am-12:30 pm.
Parkdale Community Information Centre, Parkdale Library 1303 Queen W.
Free income tax clinics for low-income community members in and around Parkdale. Please book appointments ahead of time. 416-393-7689

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Antartica: Ice and Sky
Daily Fri. March 10 - Thur. 16
Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)
From the director of March of the Penguins comes this extraordinary encounter with the awe-inspiring and strange landscapes of Antarctica. With sweeping cinematography, we are introduced to the story of pioneering climate scientist Claude Lorius and his ground-breaking findings. Now 83, he reflects on his adventurous life and love of the natural world he has seen change before his very eyes. A bittersweet tribute to a life of passion, reflections on Lorius’s formidable career are set against delightful and breathtaking encounters with penguins, ice floes and shooting stars. Antarctica: Ice & Sky is both a beautifully personal biography and a provocative call to action.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=61291~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How Liberal Ideas, Not Capital or Institutions or Exploitation, Made the Modern World
The 2017 Cadario Lecture featuring Deirdre Mccluskey
Mon. March 13, 7 p.m.
Toronto Reference Library, 2nd Floor, Bram & Bluma Appel Salon, 789 Yonge Street
Professor McCloskey will present a forceful challenge to materialist and neo-institutionalist hypotheses about economic growth, arguing that they do not explain how the world got from $3 a day to $33 or $100 a day. "The liberal plan of equality, liberty, and justice," as Adam Smith put it, which by a happy accident emerged in Europe in the 18th century, does. It inspirited masses of ordinary people to have a go. "I contain multitudes," sang the democratic poet. And he did, to our good.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2017-cadario-visiting-faculty-lecture-featuring-deirdre-mccloskey-tickets-31333323815

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Prison in Twelve Landscapes
Monday March 13, 6:15 - 8 p.m.
Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor Street West
One of the best and most important documentaries of 2016, Toronto native Brett Story’s The Prison in Twelve Landscapes is a sharp and imaginative deconstruction of America’s prison-industrial complex that fixes its gaze not on the prison themselves but the economic and personal links to penitentiaries, charting the invisible links of the system and society. From a mining town in Kentucky dependent on a federal jail for employment, to a business that supplies prison-approved care packages to inmates and a tour through Quicken Loans corporate headquarters—12 vignettes together brilliantly compose a portrait of the inextricable bonds between mass incarceration and American life.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1696895010602239/
http://ow.ly/ttDJ308SUZw

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Federal Environmental & Regulatory Review: Integration or Disconnection?
Mon. March 13, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Online
In June of 2016 the Trudeau government announced a review of the federal environmental and regulatory review processes, as revised through the Harper government's Bills C-38 and C-45. Since then four separate review processes have been set in motion. Expert panels have been established to review the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) and the Role of the National Energy Board (NEB), while parliamentary committees are conducting reviews of the Fisheries Act and the Navigation Protection Act (formerly the Navigable Waters Protection Act. This seminar, presented by the Sustainable Energy Initiative and MES/JD program at York University, will look at what is happening under each of the review processes, and how they are, (or should be) connected.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/federal-environmental-regulatory-review-integration-or-disconnection-tickets-32061777640

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Overdose Awareness and Prevention
A free workshop for Front-Line & Peer Workers with Canadian Harm Reduction Network
Monday, March 13, 1:30 – 4:30 pm
Downtown central location
In this interactive workshop we’ll cover:  Experiences of overdose; Risks of overdose and how to mitigate these; How to spot an overdose – opiates and stimulants; Responding to overdose, including the use of Naloxone; Talking to clients about use, risks, overdose; Why your agency and other places in your community need an overdose protocol; Emerging issues & trends
http://www.canadianharmreduction.com
https://www.facebook.com/noharmcanada

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Feminism and Labour
Monday, March 13, 7 pm
Steelworkers' Toronto Area Council, 25 Cecil Street
In honour of International Women's Day, the Toronto Workers' History Project invites you to look back over four decades of the struggles of Toronto's working women. In the 1970s, women began to challenge male unionists to take them seriously. They formed their own organizations and committees within the labour movement and eventually reshaped the agenda of their unions. Three activists will bring stories of their own experience, and one speaker will introduce us to the fascinating new website on the history of feminism in Canada.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1243792242364249/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fast Forward
Tuesday, March 14, 6:15 - 8:30 pm
Jane/Dundas Library, 620 Jane St.
Join local filmmaker Vincent Pang at this screening of the documentary of People's struggle for justice, for a better world for future generations, and to prevent catastrophic climate and total environmental collapse. Fasting becomes a tool of the struggle. Included in the documentary is footage of ClimateFast 2012, PowerShift 2012, and Idle No More.
http://www.green13toronto.org/event/fast-forward-free-screening-and-discussion

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

EcoSessions: STINK! Movie screening and conversation
Tues. March 14, 7 - 9 p.m.
Downtown
STINK! opens with a pair of children's pajamas, a foul smell and a single father's efforts to find out what the odour could possibly be. STINK! is the off-beat documentary about director Jon Whelan's tenacious quest to uncover the source of a chemical scent in a pair of his daughter's pajamas. Like most North Americans, Whelan believed that if a product was on the store shelf then it must be safe. Through his investigation, he discovers a culture of secrecy surrounding carcinogens in everyday consumer products that begins in corporate board rooms and extends all the way to the halls of Congress. This mini-screening will be the Canadian premiere and will include a Q&A with Environmental Defence's Muhannad Malas, Program Manager, Toxics.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ecosessions-stink-movie-screening-discussion-to-tickets-31103786262

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The U.S. Election and the Implications for Mexico
Wed. Mar. 15, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room UC 152, University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
Free Public Lecture With Judith Teichman, Professor of Political Science and International Development, U. of Toronto. A Science for Peace event.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Energy Drinks
Wed. March 15, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Grace O'Malley's Irish Pub, 14 Duncan (near King and University)
OSEA and Green Drinks Toronto invite you to join us for an evening of networking. Energy Drinks in partnership with Green Drinks is an opportunity to advance your business while engaging in interesting conversations on current issues and events in the sector every third Wednesday of the month.
http://ontario-sea.org/event-2473342

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Refusing Settler Colonialism, From Turtle Island to Palestine
Wednesday, March 15, 6:30pm
Room 205, Claude Bissell Building, 140 St. George Street, U of T
The keynote event of Israeli Apartheid Week 2017 — featuring Lee Maracle, Hind Awwad, and Erica Violet Lee — will focus on articulating connections between ongoing struggles against settler colonial violence and dispossession across Turtle Island (North America) and in historic Palestine. The panelists will reflect on the history and current state of these anti-colonial struggles.
https://www.facebook.com/events/154902601692071/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally: Indigenous Women’s Realities
Thur. March 16, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
CSI Regent Park, 3rd floor, 585 Dundas Street East
This workshop is about talking about indigenous women's realities and moving past stereotypes and changing perspectives. It also aims to build partnerships between Indigenous and mainstream service providers and organizations that can facilitate the provision of wrap-around, holistic supports for Indigenous children and families.
https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/how-to-be-an-ally-indigenous-womens-realities/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fighting Back in the Age of Trump
Thur. March 16, 6 - 8 p.m.
CRC at 40 Oaks, 40 Oak Street
What does the Trump victory mean for poor people's struggles here? How can he be defeated? If Trump is our enemy, is Trudeau our friend? Join us for a great conversation over good food as we strategize around these and other questions to build a movement of capable of stifling the rise of Trump and all that his ilk stand for. Speakers: John Clarke, organizer at the OCAP, and others.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1431900243487545/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Addressing Islamophobia: A Workshop on Allyship and Inclusion
Thur. March 16, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation - Regent Park, 585 Dundas Street East , 3rd Floor
This workshop explores manifestations of Islamophobia in Canadian cultural contexts, participants will reflect on the intersectional experiences of Muslims in order to foster meaningful inclusion and allyship. The workshop will examine internalized, interpersonal and institutional Islamophobia through exploration of narratives of Islam in a national and global context. Participants will learn helpful strategies for confronting Islamophobic microaggressions/bystander intervention, support community organizing/actions, challenge policy and address harmful legal, institutional, media and cultural practices that foster criminalization and marginalization of Muslim communities across Canada. $45
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/addressing-islamophobia-a-workshop-on-allyship-and-inclusion-tickets-32008781126

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Movie Night: Symphony Of The Soil
Thur. March 16, 7 - 9 p.m.
The Big Carrot, 348 Danforth, Room 212 (entrance beside Book City)
Screening of the 2012 documentary, presented by Canadian Organic Growers.
https://thebigcarrot.ca/home/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Realities of Farming in Ontario
Sat. March 18, 2 - 3:30 pm
St. Lawrence Market Complex (Front St. and Jarvis)
Living in the city, it's easy to feel detached from the people who grow our food. We're separated by distance and lifestyle but our lives are intertwined. We need farmers to grow food, and our purchases and votes affect their businesses and lives. Why Should I Care? and the St. Lawrence Market are teaming up for a special event about the realities of farming in Ontario. We'll talk about agriculture and free trade policy, sustainability, farm taxes, organics and pesticide regulation. Come learn the farmer's perspective from the source. Free/
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-realities-of-farming-in-ontario-tickets-32321686033

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: