T.O. Greenspiration Events: Democracy Rising

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Mar 26 23:38:45 EDT 2017

---------------------------------------

Safety is the first casualty of Toronto’s road transport model
For too long, we’ve accepted broken bones, bodies, and lives as a fair price
for the lure of a speedy (solo) car ride from A to B.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/safety-is-the-first-casualty-of-
torontos-road-transport-model/article34338498/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protect Our Water and Farmland from Costly Sprawl

Join us in standing up for the Greenbelt and Growth Plan – write the Premier
today and urge her to protect and grow the Greenbelt and stop sprawl for
good

http://www.growourgreenbelt.ca/stopsprawl

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trudeau, reject Trump’s climate denial
If you are serious about action on climate change, stand up to Trump by
condemning the approval of Keystone XL.. 350.org petition.
http://act.350.org/sign/trudeau-reject-trump?akid=s394166..m1Vk6d

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cellphone in your pocket? CBC's Marketplace investigates why you might
reconsider
23 min. podcast
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-march-24-2017-1.4038259/m
arch-24-2017-full-episode-transcript-1.4040727#segment2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally - Islamophobia at the Intersections
https://socialinnovation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Islamophobia-Knowled
ge-Production-Tool-D3-Jan-30.pdf?mc_cid=de66033d21&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protect the Bloor bike lane: Make it Permanent
Please click here to send a pre-written note to the mayor and councillors
urging them to make the Bloor bike lane permanent.
http://bit.ly/2nez1nt

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Seven-stop Scarborough LRT the best option for transit riders
We are calling for the Mayor and Council to revisit the decision to
construct only a one-stop subway; a subway that would result in less transit
for Scarborough. It's time for our politicians to understand that we do not
just want one stop on the subway; we want transit that takes us to work,
school and all the opportunities this city has to offer. Transit needs to
help all of us, not just those who can drive to a subway station.
Comfortable, modern LRT trains, that actually increase the number of local
stations, are the best option for Scarborough!
https://www.change.org/p/mayor-john-tory-seven-stop-scarborough-lrt-the-best
-option-for-transit-riders
Check out scarboroughtransitaction.ca <http://scarboroughtransitaction.ca/>
for the latest blog posts on this issue.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eco-Friendly Roommate Wanted For End User Wireless-Free Safe House for
Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
Opening for a caring roommate in a one-storey, hardwood floor, plaster
walls, old and quaint bungalow, 1500 sq ft, near a ravine for clean air.
In-house washing machine. Near Jane and Dundas. Many medically required
environmental house rules, far beyond no smoking. Call Dianne 416-551-7259
knight.dianne at gmail.com - Love to hear from you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RCbzlEyAf-uGgAECzxTnVcYIYPVM87qDRvh_QTZD
Fws/edit?usp=sharing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Learning to Steer: Reflections and Progress on Reducing Urban GHG Emissions
Monday, March 27, 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Munk School of Global Affairs, 1 Devonshire Place, U of T
Free panel presentation.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/learning-to-steer-reflections-and-progress-on-re
ducing-urban-ghg-emissions-tickets-32669304770

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Specificities of Indigenous Spaces at U of T
Mon. March 27, 7 – 9 p.m.
OISE, NEXUS Lounge, 12th Floor, 252 Bloor W.
This special event aims to explore Indigenous people’s designs for campus
space. The event will involve Indigenous faculty, staff, fellows, and
students - and others who might take up these roles if our institutions had
already undertaken the work of decolonization. Indigenous knowledge keepers,
artists and educators will come together to share ideas for what campus
space could look like. The event will take the form of a ‘fishbowl’: invited
participants will begin in the middle of the space with the audience around
them listening. People from the audience will then be invited into the
middle of the fishbowl to share back what they heard.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1841146039244613/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canada's Democracy At 150
Tues. Mar 28, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
Isabel Bader Theatre 93 Charles W (near Bloor and Ave. Rd)
Join us for Samara Canada's Democracy 360 report release, featuring Jane
Hilderman and Dave Meslin in conversation with Amara Possian, Annahid
Dashtgard, Elamin Abdelmahmoud and Nate Erskine-Smith. In the year of our
country's 150th birthday, Canadians are feeling a new urgency to talk about
the health of our democracy, and a vision for the next 150 years: How is
Canada's democracy faring? How can we renew our democracy and guard against
its decline?http://engage.samaracanada.com/democracy_360_event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Democracy Rising: Politics and Participation in Canada
Book launch with Bill Freeman
Tuesday, March 28, 6 - 8 pm.
Ben McNally's bookstore, 366 Bay Street (south of Queen)
CommunityAIR activist Bill Freeman draws on his lifetime commitment to
social justice, and his long time involvement with community organizations
to write a new book on our way forward.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Syria: Past, Present, Future
Wednesday, March 29, 7 - 9 p.m.
Room UC 152, University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T
Free Public Lecture With Paul Kingston, Professor of Political Science, U of
T. At about 8:15 the audience will move into room 179, University College,
to watch a new documentary film, “The Crossing,” about Syrian refugees. The
directors and Professor Kingston will answer questions after the screening.
A Science for Peace event.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an ally: Blanket Exercise with Jason Rocky Carter
Wednesday, March 29, 6 - 8:30 pm
CSI Lounge, Centre for Social Innovation - Regent Park, 585 Dundas Street
East, 3rd floor
The Blanket Exercise is a teaching tool to share the historic and
contemporary relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in
Canada. Speaker: Bear Standing Tall
http://bit.ly/2lPG4id

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Toronto Housing Crisis is Coming For You: A Salon
Wed. March 29, 7 p.m.
460 College, No One Writes To The Colonel
Toronto, the housing crisis is leaving no stone unturned. If you’re young,
or not a millionaire, housing insecurity has now become just a fact of life.
What accounts for the insanity in our rental market? Where did all the
housing go? What can you, yes you, do about it? Join us for a gathering and
a discussion on the causes, effects and (potential) solutions to the Toronto
housing crisis.
http://betterto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Antarctica: Ice and Sky
Wed. March 29, 8:30 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)
>From the director of March of the Penguins comes this extraordinary
encounter with the awe-inspiring and strange landscapes of Antarctica. With
sweeping cinematography, we are introduced to the story of pioneering
climate scientist Claude Lorius and his ground-breaking findings. Now 83, he
reflects on his adventurous life and love of the natural world he has seen
change before his very eyes. A bittersweet tribute to a life of passion,
reflections on Lorius’s formidable career are set against delightful and
breathtaking encounters with penguins, ice floes and shooting stars.
Antarctica: Ice & Sky is both a beautifully personal biography and a
provocative call to action.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=61291~fff311b7-
cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Starting a Community Garden -- the Vision and Making it Real
Wed. March 29, 7 - 9 p.m.
St. Matthews United Church 729 St. Clair W., corner of Rushton (in the
Oakwood Room)
You’ve probably heard that community gardens can be a great way to meet new
friends, have fun, and build community while growing local, sustainable
food. But how do you actually start one? What’s it like being part of a
successful “on-growing” garden? What are the opportunities for community
gardening in and around our own neighbourhood? Whether you are an aspiring
gardener, an existing gardener, or just curious, please join us.
https://www.facebook.com/events/754730574696471/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Don’t Shoot The Messenger! The Importance Of Whistleblowers In The Public
And Corporate Worlds
Wed. March 29, 7 - 9 p.m.
Rogers Communications Centre at Ryerson 80 Gould, Rm 103
Whistleblowers like Edward Snowden and Nancy Olivieri are often the only way
journalists and the public learn about illegality and wrongdoing. Yet
whistleblowers typically pay a huge price for their openness and honesty.
Why is that? What can be done to protect them and the public interest. Three
prominent experts will share their views in this session co-sponsored by CBC
Ideas. Free.
https://www.facebook.com/events/322168428180108

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water Docs
Wed. - Sun. March 29 - April 2
Hot Docs Cinema (506 Bloor W), OISE (252 Bloor W), and CSI Annex (720
Bathurst)
Water Docs is a documentary film festival celebrating all things water.
Enjoy the features and shorts, take part in lively discussions with
filmmakers and guest speakers, learn about water issues, and discover action
possibilities from our featured community partners. There is a $20 pass
available that covers all the screenings. (If you purchase this pass, they
ask that you register for each of the events that you  attend, so they can
track numbers.)
http://www.waterdocs.ca/2017/
https://www.facebook.com/WaterDocs/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Human Rights Watch Film Festival
March 29 - April 6
TIFF Bell Lightbox, King and John
Through our Human Rights Watch Film Festival we bear witness to human rights
violations and create a forum for courageous individuals on both sides of
the lens to empower audiences with the knowledge that personal commitment
can make a difference. The film festival brings to life human rights abuses
through storytelling in a way that challenges each individual to empathize
and demand justice for all people.
https://ff.hrw.org/toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Youth Cabinet - Anti Oppression Training
Thur. March 30, 6 - 9 pm
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St. West
This session will focus on the basics of anti-oppression through an
intersectional lens. We will talk about equity, identity and privilege and
what these things look and sound like in real life. All are welcome to
attend, regardless of how you self-identify.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tyc-anti-oppression-training-tickets-32330012939

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Neighbours 5 Inaugural Meeting
Thur. March 30, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
Stonegate Community Health Centre, 150 Berry
Learn about TransformTO – the city's plan to reduce carbon emissions by 80%
by 2050. Find out what green initiatives the city is taking and how local
activities can help green the Ward. Free. For more info:
marylynnehonan at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Humans of the North: The People of Canada
Thur. March 30, 7 - 11 p.m.
Great Hall, 1087 Queen W.
In Celebration of Canada's 150th, an interactive art event showcasing
Canadians and their stories through portrait photography with performances
by Julia Tomlinson & DJ Jesse Futerman. All proceeds benefit local
charities. $25.
http://www.humansofthenorth.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trade Unions and Populist Politics: What the Trump Presidency Truly Means
for Labour
Thursday, March 30, 5 pm
Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, Music Room, U of T
Join Woodsworth College and the Centre of Industrial Relations and Human
Resources for our Annual Sefton-Williams Lecture. Speaker: Richard Yeselson,
Labour Journalist
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/annual-sefton-williams-memorial-lecture-tickets-
32002671853

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fighting For $15: Building Unity In The Era Of Trump
Fri. March 31, 6:30 - 9 pm.
Metro Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor
Forum on building a strong, multiracial workers’ movement with Kendall Fells
(ational organizer of U.S. Fight for $15), Ashley Cathey (fast food worker)
and Deena Ladd (Workers' Action Centre, Toronto). Moderated by Desmond Cole.
Free.
http://15andfairness.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Yoga Conference and Show
Fri. - Sun. March 30 - April 2
Metro Toronto Convention Centre (Front and John St.)
300 Engaging Exhibitors, 700 Hours of World Class Sessions
https://www.theyogaconference.com/toronto/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Towards the Unknown: Refugee Journeys Photography Exhibition
Fri. - Sun. March 31 - April 2
Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen Street West
The Ali Mustafa Memorial Collective is pleased to announce an exhibition
featuring the work of photojournalist Tanya Bindra, the first recipient of
the annual Ali Mustafa Memorial Award for People’s Journalism. The award was
established in 2014 to honour Ali Mustafa, a Toronto-based photojournalist
who was killed by a Syrian regime barrel bomb in 2014. Tanya has been
documenting the lives of refugees and asylum seekers in Germany, Italy and
Greece. Opening reception Friday, 7 - 10 p.m.
https://www.facebook.com/events/694370004076840/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Repair Café: Clothing & Jewellery Repair
Sat. April 1, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Annette Library, 145 Annette
Mini-version of the event where volunteers fix your stuff. Free.
http://repaircafetoronto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Conscience Canada Annual General Meeting
Sat. April 1, 3:30 - 5 p.m.
Danforth Mennonite Church, 2174 Danforth
Monologues from Theatre of the Beat's Yellow Bellies. People interested in
conscientious objection to military taxation are welcome.
http://www.consciencecanada.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Laugh For The Environment
Sat. April 1, 1 - 4 p.m.
Second City, 51 Mercer
Comedic fundraiser for Toronto Green Community. The show will feature acts
that will range from Spoken word, Magician, to Improv and Stand-up comedy
plus a silent auction.  $20 advance, $25 door
https://secondcitytoronto.secure.force.com/ticket/#sections_a0F360000080nYPE
AY

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fifty Years ‘Beyond Vietnam’: Dr. King’s Revolutionary Dream Against Our
Neoliberal/Neofascist Nightmare
Saturday, April 1, 5 - 7 p.m.
Bloor United Church, 300 Bloor St W (@ Huron)
Seminar Series Presented by Robin D.G. Kelley Professor and Gary B. Nash
Endowed Chair in U.S. History, UCLA. Opening with: Lee Maracle, author,
instructor and traditional teacher and Faith Nolan, celebrated social
justice activist and musician.
https://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/events/mvs-proseminar-series/2017-04-01/fift
y-years-beyond-vietnam-dr-kings-revolutionary-dream

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Scarborough Seedy Saturday and Green Fair
Saturday April 1, 11 am - 4 pm
Blessed Cardinal Newman High School, 100 Brimley Rd South (south of Kingston
Road).
A seed exchange with heirloom seed vendors, gardening booths, environmental
organizations, green living ideas and great workshops on growing and living
sustainably. Over 60 exhibitors and many workshops. Contact:
scarboroseedysaturday at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/SSSGFair/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

5th Annual Toronto Mapuche Solidarity Film Festival
Sat. and Sun. April 1-2
U of T
All non-english docs with subtitles.
https://www.facebook.com/events/673956192776744/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Medical Cannabis: The Patient Experience
Sun. Apr 2, 1 - 4 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation Annex, 720 Bathurst
Event aimed at helping decrease stigma surrounding medical cannabis and
increasing patient access to this much needed treatment option with nurses
and patient care staff available for information, and interactive panel,
booths and workshops. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/medical-cannabis-the-patient-experience-tickets-
32785125192

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Roof Biodiversity
Sun. Apr 2, 2:30 p.m.
Emmanuel College 75 Queen’s Park Cres
Illustrated lecture by bee expert Scott MacIvor. Free.
http://torontofieldnaturalists.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Allan Gardens Food and Clothing Share for the Street Community
Every Sunday, 12 noon - 3 pm.
Allan Gardens Park, Carlton and Sherbourne
Please consider donating your gently used clothes and footwear to our
Indigenous-lead, Grassroots initiative so that we can help the downtown east
Homeless Street Community, and those recently Housed ease the burden of
acquiring good, Seasonal clothing. *Donations accepted on site, Sundays.* We
are still in need of warm clothing, as Climate change seems to have shifted
our Winter months; however we are also shifting into Spring Clothing. We are
ALWAYS in desperate need of MEN'S CLOTHES, particularly 34-36 waist jeans,
Med / Large / XL hoodies, t-shirts, jackets; jockey shorts, and socks.
Toiletries are also welcome; perhaps the mini toiletries from your hotel
stays? We are also looking to partner up with a local restaurant(s) to
support us once a month (or as often as possible) with a meal donation.
Email: allangardensshare at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/AllanGardensShare/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM
greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m.
CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in.
Likewise to unsubscribe.
Or manage your subscription here: