T.O. Greenspiration Events: age of consequences

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Sep 11 17:33:09 EDT 2017

Hope you had a good summer. I did! I'm back in the saddle. :) - angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Half the world must be set aside for nature, says Canadian conservationist
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/august-27-2017-the-sunday-edition-1
.4260430/half-the-world-must-be-set-aside-for-nature-says-canadian-conservat
ionist-1.4262219

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix
newsletter
http://theenergymix.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Call of the Forest: The Forgotten Wisdom of Trees
Available Until: Sun. Sep 17, 2017 (Free)
Forests are one of the world's most significant sources of food, new
medicines, and oxygen. Scientist and author Diana Beresford-Kroeger explores
our profound biological and spiritual connection with trees and meets people
who are taking the lead to replant, restore and protect the last of the
planet's great ancient forests.
http://tvo.org/video/documentaries/call-of-the-forest-the-forgotten-wisdom-o
f-trees

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Age of Consequences
Available Until: Sun. October 1, 2017 (Free)
IMHO, this is one of the best climate docs of the year. An investigation of
the impact of climate change on increased resource scarcity, human
migration, and conflict through the lens of U.S. national security and
global stability. Military leaders and veterans take us beyond the headlines
of the conflict in Syria, the Arab Spring, the rise of radicalized groups
like ISIS and the European refugee crisis to lay bare how climate change
stressors interact with societal tensions and spark conflict.
http://tvo.org/video/documentaries/the-age-of-consequences

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Call on the Canadian federal government to include strong environmental
regulations in their plans for cannabis legalisation. Petition.
https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/let-s-create-canada-s-first-truly-sustainab
le-industry-1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Please sign the pledge to help make the Bloor bike lanes permanent!
https://www.cycleto.ca/bloor-loves-bikes-campaign-pledge

Protect the Bloor bike lane:  Make it Permanent!
Please tell the mayor and your Councillor you want the Bloor bike lane made
permanent! It's easy and will only take you 30 seconds.
http://action2.davidsuzuki.org/bikesonbloor

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's Homeless Memorial
Tuesday, Sept.12, noon - 1 pm (and 2nd Tues. of each month)
Outdoors at the Church of the Holy Trinity, 10 Trinity Square (behind the
Eaton Centre)
We gather at the south steps of Church of the Holy Trinity to remember all
those who have died while homeless in Toronto. Followed by a lunch indoors
http://www.holytrinitytoronto.org/wp/justice-work/homeless-memorial/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

BetterTO: a brief history of the Toronto housing crisis
Wednesday, September 13, 7 pm
460 College Street, No One Writes To The Colonel
A guided discussion on the history of social housing and the Toronto housing
crisis. Where did TCHC come from? Is there such a thing as a free market in
residential housing? Why did the housing crisis of the 1980s go away? Panel
discussion followed by Q&A. BetterTO is a grassroots group of progressive
urbanists dedicated to improving our city, starting with our housing crisis.
betterto.ca
http://bit.ly/2xSXf9N

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Back the Night: Breaking Down Silences From Generation to Generation
Friday, September 15, 4 - 10 pm
Regent Park Community Rec Centre, 402 Shuter Street
This year's theme is about resisting violence through holding conversations
with our elders, our youth, and ourselves. What does it look like to resist
violence across generations? Bring yourself, your mentors, those who inspire
you, and the ones you want to inspire.
- Community Dinner 4 - 5 p.m; Talking Circles 5 - 6:30; Rally 6:30 - 8;
March 8 - 9:45 p.m.
This year we have replaced our community fair with "talking circles". In
these circles we hope to facilitate and foster conversations that help us
connect with ourselves and one another.
https://www.facebook.com/events/124381501546313/?ref=br_rs

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hands off Venezuela - Rally
Sat. Sept. 16, 1 p.m.
US Consulate, University Ave. North of Queen
Trump and Trudeau: Hands Off Venezuela!  No Sanctions!  No Coup!  No
invasion! The protest organizers demand an end to U.S. attempts at 'regime
change' in Venezuela, and say No to the Canadian government's complicity in
efforts to overthrow the progressive, democratic government of that country.
http://bit.ly/2vPRsQS

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Streets TO
Sun. Sept. 17, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Bloor/Yonge - car-free!
Experience your city streets in a whole new way. Car-free. Commercial-free.
Cyclists and pedestrians welcome. Dance. Skip. Enjoy!
https://www.openstreetsto.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Before the Flood
Sun. Sept. 17, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. - Downtown -- Friends House, 60
Lowther St.
Tues. Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. - North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge
St
Thurs. Sept. 21, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. - Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The
West Mall
Wed. Sept. 27, 6:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m. - Scarborough Village Recreation
Centre, 3600 Kingston Rd
A film featuring Leonardo DiCaprio. The film is an engaging and
comprehensive look at the current climate challenge. After the screening,
there will be a short info session on how you can take action right here in
Toronto on this important issue.
http://www.tcff.ca/fall-program/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pow Wow at Queens Park
Thur. Sept. 21, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Queens Park, College and University
Indigenous leaders and activists will hold a Pow Wow on the lawn of Queen's
Park . On this day MPP Michael Mantha is set to table a private member's
bill to make National Indigenous Day, June 21, a statutory holiday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/111415812910217/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disorientation Week with OPIRG Toronto
Mon. - Fri., Sept. 18 - 22
U of T
Disorientation week at U of T: an annual alternative orientation for
students and community members. This year's DisO blends the worlds of art,
social justice, DIY and interactive planning to bring to life our collective
struggles against transphobia, racism, classism, and other intersecting
oppressions. Workshops, forums, parties and more.
https://www.facebook.com/events/338645426568944/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Impacts of and alternatives to systemic pesticides: a science-policy forum
Thur. Sept. 21, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
York University
The David Suzuki Foundation and York University are presenting a one-day
symposium on the impacts and alternatives to systemic pesticides with
invited scientists from across Canada, Europe, and the Far East. $20.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/impacts-of-and-alternatives-to-systemic-pesticid
es-a-science-policy-forum-tickets-37213919836

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Energy Mixer
Fri. Sept. 22, 6  - 9 p.m.
116 Bond Street, Toronto, First Evangelical Lutheran Church
This social evening will include refreshments, live music performed by local
artists, talks from Transition Toronto, Toronto Tool Library, Solarshare,
SmartNet Alliance, Mint Music and more.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/green-energy-mixer-tickets-37352899528?aff=es2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No War 2017: War and the Environment
Sept. 22 - 24, Washington DC.
Entire conference will be livestreamed. To watch the livestream visit:
facebook.com/worldbeyondwar at the time of the conference. If you miss it
you can watch it anytime later at the same page.
http://worldbeyondwar.org/nowar2017

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Waterfront Artisan Market
Sat. Sept. 23, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
339 Queen's Quay West
Discover local craft and food at a unique, open-air market on Toronto's
Waterfront.
http://www.waterfrontbia.com/event/waterfront-artisan-market/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride for Safe Streets
A fundraiser for Cycle Toronto, Toronto's bike advocacy leader
Saturday, September 23
    - 25 km Ride, starting from 192 Spadina Ave; Registration: 9:30 am,
Ride: 10:15 - 11:45 am
    - 10 km Ride, starting from Greenwood Park, Registration: 11:15 a.m.,
Ride: noon - 1:30 pm
All funds raised from the Ride for Safe Streets will go to fund Cycle
Toronto's advocacy work on Bloor St, Danforth Ave, Yonge St, ward advocacy,
and beyond. Let's make Toronto a better place to get around on 2 wheels.
Register at: http://bit.ly/2f89GcQ.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 7th Annual Toronto Disability Pride March
Saturday, September 23, 1 - 4 pm
Queens Park, 111 Wellesley Street West
and marching to the School of Disability Studies at Ryerson University, 99
Gerrard Street East
Why we're marching:
- To bring recognition of the struggles and value of people with
disabilities as we fight against ableism and other forms of oppression.
- To be visible and show that we have a voice in our community and a right
to be heard by taking to the streets.
- To celebrate and take pride in ourselves as a community of people with
disabilities.
Fundraising Page: http://bit.ly/2j8vczT and we also accept Paypal donations.
http://bit.ly/2xwplb1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water is Life (But Many Can't Drink It)
Sunday September 24, 5 - 8 p.m.
Convocation Hall, 31 King's College Circle, U of T
World Premiere of 'Boozhoo Manoomin' - A suite inspired by manoomin harvest
composed and performed by Beverley McKiver featuring Melody McKiver
A talk by Winona LaDuke: 'Cultivating Resistance and Lighting the Eighth
Fire: Challenging the Fossil Fuel Industry and Restoring Anishinaabe
Economics'. Winona LaDuke in conversation with members of the Onaman
Collective: Erin-Marie Konsmo, Christi Belcourt, Isaac Murdoch
Donations welcome but not necessary. Please contribute what you can.
Everyone welcome!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/water-is-life-but-many-cant-drink-it-tickets-373
99283263

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Great Lakes Water Walk
Sun. Sept. 24, all day
The Great Lakes Water Walk is an open invitation to all people to join an
Indigenous-led Water Walk to honor Nibi (Water). Following Anishinaabe
ceremonial protocols, Grandmothers and Elders will make water offerings,
sing water songs and make petitions for our water to be clean and pure. All
are invited to join Great Lakes Water Walk and reflect on how we can honor
and protect our waters. While we love our dogs, bikes or skateboards, we do
not bring them to the ceremony. Absolutely no drugs or alcohol.
http://greatlakeswaterwalk.ca/event-details
https://www.facebook.com/events/263997704041225/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM
greenmajority.ca <http://greenmajority.ca>

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/