T.O. Greenspiration Events: Pow Wow at QP

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Sep 18 12:16:32 EDT 2017

---------------------------------------

Irma Won't "Wake Up" Climate Change-Denying Republicans. Their Whole
Ideology Is on the Line.
"Climate change detonates the ideological scaffolding on which contemporary
conservatism rests. To admit that the climate crisis is real is to admit the
end of their political and economic project."  - By Naomi Klein
https://theintercept.com/2017/09/11/irma-donald-trump-tax-cuts-climate-chang
e-republican-ideology-capitalism/?link_id=7&can_id=b185343a12ba7e544141b5ae3
9b912e2&source=email-leap-into-the-fall-with-our-biggest-headlines&email_ref
errer=email_233324___subject_279728&email_subject=leap-into-the-fall-with-ou
r-biggest-headlines

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Resist Trump's Shock Doctrine
9 min video by Naomi Klein
https://theintercept.com/2017/06/13/video-how-to-resist-trumps-shock-doctrin
e/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

U.S. Air Force Is Spraying 6 Million Acres With Chemicals in Response to
Harvey
https://www.ecowatch.com/harvey-pesticide-naled-2484385387.html?xrs=RebelMou
se_fb&ts=1505232654

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

As Planet Rages With Fires and Storms, Ire Aimed at Murderous Climate
Denialism
"It is past time to call out Trump and all climate deniers for this crime
against humanity. No more treating climate denial like an honest difference
of opinion. Knowing what we know in 2017, expanding fossil-fuel production
is like Big Tobacco continuing to addict people to its cancer sticks:
technically legal but, in effect, premeditated murder." Hertsgaard
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2017-09-08/planet-rages-fires-storms-ire-a
imed-murderous-climate-denialism/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Support fair taxation to help build a better Canada
I'm sure you've heard about the Liberals tax reforms: modest proposals to
close tax loopholes that benefit the wealthiest Canadians - high income
professionals making between $150,000  to millions a year. Closing these
loopholes could save us over $1 billion a year, and be used to fund public
services like health, education and child care. Please sign the open letter
to Morneau here.
https://act.leadnow.ca/fair-share/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Where Are Canada's Missing Electric Cars?
OK, while I'm not a proponent of cars, I do support electrification. Canada
is falling behind in electric vehicle sales at least in part due to a lack
of any federal "zero-emission vehicle" policies. This is likely because the
Canadian auto manufacturing associations are opposed to them. Enviro groups
have stepped up with EVchoice.ca
https://www.desmog.ca/2017/09/12/where-are-canada-s-missing-electric-cars?ut
m_source=DeSmog+Canada+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a3e1fb8f47-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_201
7_09_13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f6a05fddb8-a3e1fb8f47-103223091

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Do you want to keep the bike lanes on Bloor? Toronto Cycle needs a few hours
of your time.
https://www.cycleto.ca/news/do-you-want-keep-bike-lanes-bloor-we-need-your-h
elp

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

11 Days of Global Unity - 11 Ways to Change the World
Sept. 11 - 21
Online
11 Days is a worldwide convergence of festivals, concerts, forums, rallies
and other programs promoting peace, justice, sustainability and
transformation that annually includes as many as 700 associated events in
over 60 countries around the world. It culminates on September 21st, the
U.N. International Day of Peace. Free.
https://we.net/11-days

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bloor Bikes WEST!
Monday, Sept. 18, 7 pm
Ciro's Restaurant, 1316 Bloor Street W. (at Lansdowne)
What would the Bloor Bike Lane extension look like for you? Join Cycle
Toronto Ward 14 and Ward 18 Groups with Councillors Ana Bailao and Mike
Layton speaking about the Bloor Bike Lane Pilot Project and the importance
of extending it westward. Also provide your feedback about what you would
like to see included in a westward extension.
https://www.facebook.com/events/953475424790990/?ti=as

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disorientation Week with OPIRG Toronto
Mon. - Fri., Sept. 18 - 22
U of T
Disorientation week at U of T: an annual alternative orientation for
students and community members. This year's DisO blends the worlds of art,
social justice, DIY and interactive planning to bring to life our collective
struggles against transphobia, racism, classism, and other intersecting
oppressions. Workshops, forums, parties and more.
https://www.facebook.com/events/338645426568944/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Before the Flood
Tues. Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. - North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge
St
Thurs. Sept. 21, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. - Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The
West Mall
Wed. Sept. 27, 6:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m. - Scarborough Village Recreation
Centre, 3600 Kingston Rd
A film featuring Leonardo DiCaprio. The film is an engaging and
comprehensive look at the current climate challenge. After the screening,
there will be a short info session on how you can take action right here in
Toronto on this important issue.
http://www.tcff.ca/fall-program/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

VOW (Voice of Women for Peace) Organizers Signing of Nuclear Ban Treaty
Wed. Sept. 20, 2:30 p.m.
Matt Cohen Park (southeast corner of Spadina and Bloor)
At 3 pm we will go to Chrystia Freeland's office at 344 Bloor St. W.  We
will collect citizen signatures on our large size print of the Nuclear Ban
Treaty.
http://vowpeace.org/event/vow-organizes-citizen-signing-of-nuclear-ban-treat
y/
You can also sign our petition urging Canada to Ban the Bomb Here:
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/canada-its-time-to-ban-the-bomb-canadian
-voice-of-women-for-peace-asks-where-is-canada

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pow Wow at Queens Park
Thur. Sept. 21, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Queens Park, College and University
Indigenous leaders and activists will hold a Pow Wow on the lawn of Queen's
Park . On this day MPP Michael Mantha is set to table a private member's
bill to make National Indigenous Day, June 21, a statutory holiday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/111415812910217/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winning Decent Incomes
Thur. Sept. 21, 6 - 8 p.m.
40 Oak St.
OCAP Speakers Series: Why is social assistance so low? What lessons can we
learn from the fight to raise minimum wage? How do we win decent incomes for
everyone?
https://www.facebook.com/events/1914188425573298/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Impacts of and alternatives to systemic pesticides: a science-policy forum
Thur. Sept. 21, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
York University
The David Suzuki Foundation and York University are presenting a one-day
symposium on the impacts and alternatives to systemic pesticides with
invited scientists from across Canada, Europe, and the Far East. $20.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/impacts-of-and-alternatives-to-systemic-pesticid
es-a-science-policy-forum-tickets-37213919836

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Energy Mixer
Fri. Sept. 22, 6  - 9 p.m.
116 Bond Street, Toronto, First Evangelical Lutheran Church
This social evening will include refreshments, live music performed by local
artists, talks from Transition Toronto, Toronto Tool Library, Solarshare,
SmartNet Alliance, Mint Music and more.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/green-energy-mixer-tickets-37352899528?aff=es2
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No War 2017: War and the Environment
Sept. 22 - 24, Washington DC.
Entire conference will be livestreamed. To watch the livestream visit:
facebook.com/worldbeyondwar at the time of the conference. If you miss it
you can watch it anytime later at the same page.
http://worldbeyondwar.org/nowar2017

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Waterfront Artisan Market
Sat. Sept. 23, 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
339 Queen's Quay West
Discover local craft and food at a unique, open-air market on Toronto's
Waterfront.
http://www.waterfrontbia.com/event/waterfront-artisan-market/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride for Safe Streets
A fundraiser for Cycle Toronto, Toronto's bike advocacy leader
Saturday, September 23
    - 25 km Ride, starting from 192 Spadina Ave; Registration: 9:30 am,
Ride: 10:15 - 11:45 am
    - 10 km Ride, starting from Greenwood Park, Registration: 11:15 a.m.,
Ride: noon - 1:30 pm
All funds raised from the Ride for Safe Streets will go to fund Cycle
Toronto's advocacy work on Bloor St, Danforth Ave, Yonge St, ward advocacy,
and beyond. Let's make Toronto a better place to get around on 2 wheels.
Register at: http://bit.ly/2f89GcQ.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

7th Annual Toronto Disability Pride March
Sat. Sept. 23, 1 - 4 pm
Queens Park, 111 Wellesley Street West
and marching to the School of Disability Studies at Ryerson University, 99
Gerrard Street East
Why we're marching:
- To bring recognition of the struggles and value of people with
disabilities as we fight against ableism and other forms of oppression.
- To be visible and show that we have a voice in our community and a right
to be heard by taking to the streets.
- To celebrate and take pride in ourselves as a community of people with
disabilities.
Fundraising Page: http://bit.ly/2j8vczT and we also accept Paypal donations.
http://bit.ly/2xwplb1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water is Life - but many can't drink it
Sunday Sept. 24, 5 - 8 p.m.
Convocation Hall, 31 King's College Circle, U of T
World Premiere of 'Boozhoo Manoomin'. A suite inspired by manoomin harvest
composed and performed by Beverley McKiver featuring Melody McKiver & Ruhee
Dewji
'Cultivating Resistance and Lighting the Eighth Fire: Challenging the Fossil
Fuel Industry and Restoring Anishinaabe Economics' a talk by WINONA LADUKE
in conversation with members of the Onaman Collective: Erin-Marie Konsmo,
Christi Belcourt, Isaac Murdoch
https://www.facebook.com/events/330100417451712/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Great Lakes Water Walk
Sun. Sept. 24, all day
The Great Lakes Water Walk is an open invitation to all people to join an
Indigenous-led Water Walk to honor Nibi (Water). Following Anishinaabe
ceremonial protocols, Grandmothers and Elders will make water offerings,
sing water songs and make petitions for our water to be clean and pure. All
are invited to join Great Lakes Water Walk and reflect on how we can honor
and protect our waters. While we love our dogs, bikes or skateboards, we do
not bring them to the ceremony. Absolutely no drugs or alcohol.
http://greatlakeswaterwalk.ca/event-details
https://www.facebook.com/events/263997704041225/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix
newsletter
http://theenergymix.com/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM
greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
http://bloorcinema.com/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

Peace out,
-angela