T.O. Greenspiration Events: Success of Non-Violent Civil Resistance

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Nov 19 22:20:46 EST 2017

---------------------------------------

Catch a 2 min. video of my speech at the rally at Queen's Park last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB_ROhg4BZI

And sign my petition to Buy Quebec Power rather than rebuild our aging
nuclear reactors.
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/tell-premier-wynne-you-support-a-money-savin
g-deal-with-quebec/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bloor Gets a Bike Lane - by Albert Koehl
City staff report re: bike lane on Bloor: The pilot project has demonstrated
that a cycling facility can be successfully implemented on one of the
busiest and most constrained sections of Bloor Street and should be
considered for the full length of the Bloor Danforth corridor.
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2017/11/08/bloor-gets-a-bike-lane/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The success of nonviolent civil resistance
This 12 min. TEDx Talk explains the "3.5% rule"-the notion that no
government can withstand a challenge of 3.5% of its population without
either accommodating the movement or (in extreme cases) disintegrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJSehRlU34w&feature=share

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shutting Down Car, Light Truck Exhaust Could Save Canada $12.8 Billion Per
Year in Health Costs
Health Canada says: Gasoline exhaust was also associated with 940 premature
deaths from lung cancer, and cardiovascular and respiratory system
failures-roughly one person every ten hours.
http://theenergymix.com/2017/11/15/shutting-down-car-light-truck-exhaust-cou
ld-save-canada-12-8-billion-per-year-in-health-costs/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian tax hypocrisy that favours the rich must end: Broadbent
Tax avoidance and evasion by the rich ultimately undermines democracy: it
starves social programs and public services, increases after tax income and
wealth inequality, and further concentrates economic resources in the hands
of a few.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2017/11/13/canadian-tax-hypocrisy
-that-favours-the-rich-must-end-broadbent.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

15,000 scientists from 184 countries warn of dire future for humanity
Humanity is not taking the urgent steps needed to safeguard our imperiled
biosphere, the authors write. But they spell out 12 steps that we can can
take to transition to sustainability.
https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/15000-scientists-184-countries-war
n-dire-future-humankind.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protesters sing disdain for US climate push for coal and nukes, shut down
#COP23 meeting
https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEAZfpxI2hhPolf8CRYyP0pYqFggEKg4IAC
oGCAow3O8nMMqOBjD38Ak

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Human Flow
Absolutely stunning film. Directed by Ai Weiwei. Artistic and gentle
witnessing of the human flow of 65 million people currently displaced around
the globe. With climate change, this will only grow. Go see this film!
http://www.tiff.net/films/human-flow/?gclid=CjwKCAiAxarQBRAmEiwA6YcGKFm65hhr
u6kRSCzh3GSCayEGcYHAvCJ8WiK-88p6AQGrNEe1vNh2qRoCyZAQAvD_BwE

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A strategic approach to climate action in cities-focused acceleration
- Decarbonizing the electricity grid
- Optimizing energy efficiency in buildings
- Enabling next-generation mobility
- Improving waste management
http://bit.ly/2AFBo6o

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Picture2050: Imagine Toronto in the year 2050.
#Picture2050 is a contest for citizen photographers inspired by Toronto's
Climate Plan.
http://picture2050.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The people of Grassy Narrows are calling on all of us to support them in
their demand for a Mercury Home and Treatment Centre. Send a message to
Wynne and Trudeau now.
http://freegrassy.net/mercuryhome/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Give the Teck Frontier Mine (tarsands) a real review that includes the
project's impacts on climate change and the rights of Indigenous peoples.
Send your letter to Trudeau here.
https://gofossilfree.org/canada/?akid=29610.592488.VTAf_q&rd=1&t=6&utm_mediu
m=email&utm_source=actionkit#signup

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane
Throughout November
Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor (near Bathurst)
Live with Jane Goodall while she conducts her ground breaking, enthralling
work with chimpanzees, which she revealed to be so like humans. Fifty years
ago, a National Geographic filmmaker was sent to join her in the Tanzanian
jungle, where he captured over 140 hours of 16mm footage that was never
used. Today, Academy Award-nominated director Brett Morgen, whose skills of
documentary portraiture range from musician Kurt Cobain (Cobain: Montage of
Heck) to producer Robert Evans, takes the footage and sets it to a dreamy
orchestral score by Philip Glass in this gorgeous, and ultimately very
moving, time capsule. 2017
https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=67851~fff311b7
-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Advocacy Training
Mon. Nov. 20, 7 p.m.
Ken Cox Community Centre, Etobicoke
Presenters: Liz Rice,  Citizens Climate Lobby  will present on TransformTO.
Amar Kumar,  Citizens Climate Lobby on letter writing, Sharon Howarth, and
Rosemary Boissonneau will present on lobbying and you will have the
opportunity to work on a deputation.  Lobbying will take place November -
January 2018. Budget deputations will take place Jan 8, 9, and 10, 2018.
It's a great opportunity  to learn more about TransformTO and to learn
advocacy skills - hope you can come!
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transformto-advocacy-training-etobicoke-tickets-
39818522272

If you can't come to the advocacy training and you want a copy of the model
letter to send to your councillor please email: rosemary at climatefast.ca  You
can write directly to your councillor: (councillor_(lastname)@toronto.ca)
Please cc Mayor_tory at toronto.ca and bcc carbonfreeTO at climatefast.ca
<mailto:carbonfreeTO at climatefast.ca>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

National Bird
Film Screening on Drone Warfare - and dinner
A film by Sonia Kennebeck
Monday November 20, Dinner 6 pm, Film screening 7 pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.
National Bird follows the dramatic journey of three whistleblowers who are
determined to break the silence around one of the most controversial issues
of our time: the secret U.S. drone war. Suggested donation $20 or pwyc.
Hosted by War Resisters.
Watch the trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8hPK7G-5bw&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trans Day of Remembrance (TDoR) 2017 - Live, Love, Remember
Mon. Nov. 20, 6 - 9 p.m.
519 Church St.
November 20 is an internationally recognized day to celebrate and honour the
lives of trans-identified people who have passed away due to transphobia,
hate crimes, illness, substance use, suicide, or murder. The 519 will be
hosting a ceremony and candlelight vigil followed by a dinner and dance from
6:00-9:00pm to commemorate the day, honour the lives lost, and celebrate
trans communities. Free.
http://www.the519.org/events/trans-day-of-remembrance-2017

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Legalizing Marijuana - Impacts of Legislation
Mon. Nov. 20, 7 - 9 p.m.
Madison Avenue Pub, 14 Madison
Jodie Emery Canada's "Queen of Pot", and Dr. Paul Sandor, a researcher at
CAMH discuss the impact they think the new legislation will have.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/legalizing-marijuana-legislative-impacts-tickets
-38834802941

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

MISN: Mining Injustice Solidarity Network - New Members Meeting
Tues. Nov. 21, 7 - 9 p.m.
Factor-Inwentash Faculty Of Social Work, 246 Bloor W.
Are you looking for a way to get involved in activism in Toronto?
Do you sometimes wonder how Canadian mining companies get away with the
harms that they cause all over the world? Do you care about resisting
capitalism & colonialism and see mining injustice as a critical intersection
between these systems of exploitation? Learn more about the work that MISN
does and how you can be involved!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1474611659273945/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

National Housing Day of Action - Rally and March
Wed. Nov. 22, noon - 2 p.m.
Allan Gardens Park and Conservatory (Carlton and Jarvis)
The Liberal record on housing is a treacherous one. As public housing in our
city literally crumbles to the ground, the Liberals are getting ready to
announce their 'National Housing Strategy' on November 22. But the money has
already been committed and it gives us a great big nothing. We all deserve
affordable public housing and we must fight to win it.
https://www.facebook.com/events/528906997501435/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Oil's Deep State: How the petroleum industry undermines democracy and stops
action on global warming - in Alberta, and in Ottawa
Wed. Nov. 22, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway)
Book launch and public conversation with Oil's Deep State author and
Alberta's former leader of the opposition, Kevin Taft, and The Leap
co-founder Avi Lewis.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oils-deep-state-book-launch-public-conversation
-tickets-39778064261
https://www.facebook.com/events/132105137491810/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sea of Life
Award Winning film by Toronto film-maker Julia Barnes
Wed. Nov. 22, 6:30 - 9 pm
Scarborough Village Recreation Centre, 3600 Kingston Rd
Sea of Life leads audiences through the stunning world of coral reefs into
the heart of the environmental movement, meeting passionate scientists,
activists and explorers who reveal an enormous opportunity to rise up and
become the heroes the world needs. Inspired by Rob Stewart's Revolution,
young filmmaker Julia Barnes embarks on an epic journey around the world to
save the ecosystems we depend on for survival, as we come closer to causing
a mass extinction in the oceans. The filmmaker will be present for a Q & A
after the film.
www.seaoflifemovie.com
http://www.tcff.ca/fall-program/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Decolonizing Rape Culture
Wed. Nov. 22, noon - 1:30 p.m.
Ryerson Oakham House, 63 Gould
Providing an Indigenous perspective on understanding and resisting rape
culture, Dr. Sarah Hunt will contextualize on-campus anti-violence work
within broader efforts to build consent culture and end sexual violence in
the context of ongoing colonization.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Net-Zero Neighbourhoods: Community Energy Planning For A Low-Carbon Future
Wed. Nov. 22, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Brentwood Library, 36 Brentwood N
Fernando Carou, Senior Engineer at City of Toronto - Environment & Energy
Division, will talk about Community Energy Planning, which amounts to a
neighbourhood scale climate change action plan.
www.torontopubliclibrary.ca <http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Walrus Talks Social Impact
Wed. Nov. 22, 7 - 9 p.m.
Koerner Hall, 273 Bloor W
Talks on changing the world with visionaries, partners and great ideas. How
systemic change works and how we can improve society through smart
philanthropy and community-driven action. $15-$25.
thewalrus.ca/the-walrus-talks-social-impact-toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unity In Diversity
Wed. Nov. 22, 7 - 9 p.m.
University College, 15 King's College Circle, U of T, Room 140.
Science for Peace public lecture by Karen Hamilton, General Secretary of the
Canadian Council of Churches. Free.
http://scienceforpeace.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally: Anti-Blackness at the Intersections
With Rania El Mugammar & Social Innovation Institute
Thursday, Nov. 23, 5:30 - 9 p.m.
This event explores the experiences of diverse Black Canadians at the
intersections of race, sexuality, gender, faith, ability, class and beyond.
Panelists will reflect on anti-Black racism in a Canadian context,
connecting interpersonal and institutional experiences. The panel will
explore approaches to addressing anti-Black racism, including allyship and
community based interventions. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-be-an-ally-anti-blackness-at-the-interse
ctions-tickets-38786163459

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stories of Home: Presented as a part of National Housing Week 2017
Thur. Nov. 23, 6 - 9:30 p.m.
192 Spadina Ave.
What does it look like to create a world where everyone has a home? Many of
us have struggled to find a home in the current real estate market and even
more of us have struggled to feel at home even when there is a roof over our
head. The Centre for Social Innovation, Evergreen, and The Stories We Don't
Tell are coming together in honour of National Housing week to host a
conversation about housing and home. We asked six different inspiring people
to explore the idea of what home is to them and to tell us about their
journey in finding it.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/stories-of-home-presented-as-a-part-of-national
-housing-week-2017-tickets-38556091307

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Investigating a silent killer: How the biggest investigative Canadian
journalistic collaboration dug for the truth
Thur. Nov. 23, 2 - 3:30 p.m.
Webinar
We'll talk about how we dug for information and found it, despite having to
deal with a secretive government that has tight message control. We will
also explain what we learned about the relationship between government and
industry and the extent to which policies and oversight get influenced by
the oil patch's lobbyists.
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4125351521499226626

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Q'eqchi' Women Fight Back!
Seeking Justice for Rape, Murder & Repression in the Mining Industry: The
Hudbay Minerals/CGN lawsuits
Thur. Nov. 23, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
Friends' House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway)
We will hear firsthand from four Q'eqchi' women from Guatemala at the
frontlines of the struggle against Canadian company Hudbay Minerals. These
women are four of the 13 plaintiffs who are suing Hudbay in these landmark
lawsuits - the first to hold a Canadian company to account in Canadian
courts for violence committed overseas. These women from the community of
Lote 8 have traveled to Toronto to be cross-examined by Hudbay as part of
the lawsuit they launched against the mining company in 2010 to hold them
accountable for gang rapes, violent evictions, and the destruction of nearly
100 homes. This event will be the one chance these women will have during
their trip here in Toronto to share their story outside of the parameters of
Hudbay's lawyers' questions.
https://www.facebook.com/events/144087649557177/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

South Sudanese Women Speaking Peace - End Violence Against Women Now
Fri. Nov. 24, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.
KAIROS invites you to join us for the No Mas II Tour: South Sudanese Women
Speaking Peace with Agnes Wasuk and Awak Deng who both work with the
National Women's program of the South Sudan Council of Churches. The tour
coincides with the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence which
begins on November 25, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence
Against Women, and end on December 10, International Human Rights Day. It
will highlight the women, peace and security work of the KAIROS Women of
Courage Program.
https://www.facebook.com/events/147886269163447/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Front-Line Issues Forum
Friday, Nov. 24, 9:15 am - 12:15 pm
Toronto City Hall, Council Chamber, 100 Queen Street West
These presentations will be of interest to people who use drugs & their
families, & to people who provide services, as well as to members of the
general public.  The event is free, and there is no need to register.
- Drug Testing - Naloxone Delivery Systems - Fentanyl Analogues - Crystal
Meth - Stigma and Overdose - Drug Rumours and Realities
More Information: noharm at canadianharmeduction.com
Co-sponsored by John Howard Society of Toronto.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Institute for Change Leaders - training course with Olivia Chow
Sat.-Sun, Nov. 25 - 26
Ryerson U, 350 Victoria St.
Become a certified Community Facilitator with one weekend of Project
Organize Facilitation Training at Ryerson University's Institute for Change
Leaders. Headed by Ryerson professor Olivia Chow, the Institute is dedicated
to the development of community organizing skills through the approaches of
President Obama's 2008 campaign chief field strategist, Harvard professor
Marshall Ganz.  Supporting activists to mobilize and transform their
communities and affect social change, the Project Organize weekend program
includes modules on building strategic partnerships, mobilizing volunteers,
motivating others and campaign strategy. Nov. 19 deadline, please register
directly at the link below.  Free Tuition for West End Toronto residents
through Local Champions (regularly $120, includes meals). Mention Local
Champions and notify mirhawk at ca.inter.net to get free registration.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/building-skills-for-change-november-tickets-3881
4746953

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto and Transit Trivia Night for Better Transit
Sat. Nov. 25, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor St West
TTCriders and friends are organizing a trivia night as part of our end of
year celebration. Join us for dinner and a fun night where your team will
compete to become trivia champions. We'll have great prizes that you can
win. The $40 price includes dinner and your entry fee to play trivia. A
fundraiser for TTCriders, your Toronto transit advocacy voice.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/toronto-and-transit-trivia-night-for-better-tran
sit-tickets-38581759080

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Burning Water: Fractured Earth... Fractured Lives
Sat. Nov 25, 7 - 9 p.m.
Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation 79 Hiawatha
Ecologos and the SEA Committee of NUUC present a screening of the 2010
documentary, followed by discussion on the practice of fracking. Free.
www.bunburyfilms.com/burningwater.htm
<http://www.bunburyfilms.com/burningwater.htm>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Angela and All Political Prisoners
Sun. Nov. 26, 4 p.m.
Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor W.
In 1970, educator and activist Angela Davis found herself on the FBI's 10
Most Wanted list for her affiliation with the Communist Party and the Black
Panthers. Unwavering in her reaction to controversy and political pressure,
the outspoken Davis fought for freedom and civil rights without compromise.
Free Angela and All Political Prisoners tells the story of her life and
struggle from the days of her youth to her arrest and trial, linked to the
kidnapping of a judge that ended in murder.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=68185~fff311b7-
cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&ep=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix
newsletter
http://theenergymix.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM
greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/