T.O. Greenspiration Events: Lifting Spirits

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Dec 10 22:35:53 EST 2017

Hey T.O. friends,
This will be my last newsletter for 2017. What a year! Special shout-out to
all the organizers of the local events and issues I've been circulating –
you’re changing this city for the better.
If you've enjoyed my newsletter, please consider making a small
contribution to advocacy for bike lanes on Bloor/Danforth/Yonge. Every
dollar you donate will be doubled by the Tooker Gomberg Greenspiration Fund.
The fund has purchased thousands of bike stickers that say "Bike Lanes on
Bloor". Though cyclists won a short stretch through the Annex, the fight for
bike lanes continues east, west and north, and the TGGF will continue
supporting these campaigns with stickers, actions and more. Donations can be
made to Tooker Gomberg Greenspiration Fund and sent to 100 Lower Ossington
Ave, #809, Toronto M6J 0A7. And if you’d like some of those stickers, just
say the word.
Blessings of the season,
-angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

'Soul-crushing' video of starving polar bear exposes climate crisis,
experts say
Footage from Canada’s Arctic shows emaciated animal seeking food in scene
that left researchers ‘pushing through their tears’. Polar bears are the
canary in the climate coalmine. “The simple truth is this – if the Earth
continues to warm, we will lose bears and entire polar ecosystems.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/08/starving-polar-bear-arc
tic-climate-change-video?CMP=share_btn_link

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NAFTA’s replacement must benefit people and the planet, not corporate
polluters
Send a message to Trudeau here.
http://www.sierraclub.ca/en/NAFTA-replacement-must-benefit-people-and-plane
t-not-corporate-polluters

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protect our Water
Water is essential to the health and prosperity of the Greater Golden
Horseshoe, home to over 9 million people and some of Canada’s most fertile
farmland. Unless we’re vigilant, demands on the region’s water resources
will undermine our safe and reliable source of fresh water. The Province has
announced a consultation process to protect critical water systems from
encroaching development pressures, and your support can make sure they
follow through.
http://www.protectourwaters.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open the armouries for shelter
Toronto is facing an unprecedented homeless crisis. On October 30, 2017,
The Toronto Board of Health revealed that there are almost 2 homeless deaths
a week, or 89 deaths since January. Front-line workers cannot find beds for
their clients. The situation is desperate. Mayor Tory must request from the
Federal Government that they open the Moss Park and the Fort York Armouries.
https://www.change.org/p/mayor-johntory-open-the-armouries-for-shelter-open
thearmouries

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dim the Fluorescents
Absolutely amazing indy-film playing at the Carlton this week. Filmed in
Toronto with an all-Toronto cast. Creative, intelligent, funny.
https://www.facebook.com/events/313900349092015/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

War Abolition 201: Building the Alternative Global Security System
January 29 – March 19, 2018
Online Course with WorldBeyondWar.org
http://bit.ly/2yXRZVc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Momentum for Cycling Continues with $93 million Investment
Ontario leveraging Climate Change Action Plan to help municipalities build
safe spaces for people who bike
http://mailchi.mp/11693f22be47/province-to-invest-93-million-in-cycling-inf
rastructure-this-year?e=1b4f64dd49

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Jane
Mon. Dec. 11, Mon. Dec. 18, Wed. Dec. 20
Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor
Live with Jane Goodall while she conducts her groundbreaking, enthralling
work with chimpanzees, which she revealed to be so like humans. Fifty years
ago, a National Geographic filmmaker was sent to join her in the Tanzanian
jungle, where he captured over 140 hours of 16mm footage that was never
used. Today, Academy Award–nominated director Brett Morgen takes the footage
and sets it to a dreamy orchestral score by Philip Glass in this gorgeous,
and ultimately very moving, time capsule.
https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=67851~fff311b
7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Final REimagining Yonge Public Consultation: Let's make sure Yonge St. is
designed with people first
Monday, Dec. 11, 5 - 8 p.m. (drop in anytime between these hours)
North York Memorial Hall, 5100 Yonge Street (one level below the NY Central
Library)
City of Toronto staff will hold their final Public Drop-in Event for
REimagining Yonge. While Cycle Toronto is pleased to see staff are
supporting bike lanes on Yonge Street, we're concerned that a proposed
alternative option could derail the plan to improve the safety of this
bustling street. Cycle Toronto staff and volunteers have been working hard
to demonstrate the broad support that exists for the safer streets, and to
communicate in clear terms why bike lanes on Yonge are a critical part of a
robust network of cycling facilities across Toronto. We need a strong
showing of support at this final Public Drop‐in Event for the preferred
design: bike lanes on Yonge Street.
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/9082-REimagining-Yonge-PI
C5-Flyer.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

We Grieve Thousands
Mon. Dec 11, noon
Moss Park, 150 Sherbourne
Overdose funeral procession (wear black as a symbol of solidarity), and
rally as a mournful action in honour of the thousands lost to government
inaction on the opioid crisis. Dress warmly and come together with love and
righteous anger.
https://www.facebook.com/events/2018328705050376

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Showing Up For Racial Justice: Holiday Edition
Mon. Dec. 11, 6 - 8:30 pm.
St. Stephen-in-the-Fields Church 103 Bellevue
Learn more about SURJ and stay for a workshop: How to interrupt racist
comments at holiday dinner this year. Free.
Indo: surjto at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Homeless Memorial
Tues. Dec. 12, noon
Church of the Holy Trinity, behind Eaton's Centre, off Bay
Homeless people are dying on Toronto streets, almost 2 a week, or 89 deaths
since January. This monthly memorial honors them and their struggle, and
calls on all levels of gov't to support affordable housing.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to be an Ally: The Experience - Healing the Sacred Circle
Wed. Dec. 13, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
CSI Lounge, Centre for Social Innovation - Regent Park, 585 Dundas Street
East, 3rd floor
Join us for a powerful experience and learn in a non-colonized way about
The Doctrine of discovery, Terra Nullius, The Indian Act, Reservations, The
Pass System, Treaties, Residential Schools, Missing and Murdered Indigenous
Women and Girls, Healing the Sacred Circle, The Four Gifts for all Humanity,
and Learning to be an Ally with Indigenous Peoples. The Experience is
ceremonial, factual, authentic and indigenized, using video and audio
technology. Within the one-hour time frame, followed by a second hour
dedicated to debriefing, The Experience offers a holistic learning
opportunity incorporating all four aspects of our being: physical,
emotional, mental and spiritual. Emphasis will be placed on learning that
will happen through all the five senses: Touch, Smell, Sound, Sight and
Taste. Speaker: Bear Standing Tall. Free.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-to-be-an-ally-the-experience-healing-the-s
acred-circle-tickets-39826340657?mc_cid=7ec127848a&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Human Flow
Wed. Dec. 13 - Sun. Dec. 17
Bloor Hot Docs
World-renowned artist and filmmaker Ai Weiwei creates an immersive and
compassionate portrait of the refugee crisis in this globe-spanning
documentary. Shot in 23 countries, Human Flow is a singularly expansive and
urgent look at one of the most pressing issues of our time that captures its
staggering scale and devastating toll. Taking us to far flung places—from
Afghanistan to Greece to Germany to Iraq to Kenya and beyond—we meet
extraordinary individuals and hear their stories as they bear unbelievable
hardship with courage and resilience. A tremendously moving testament to the
human spirit, Human Flow challenges our world to come together and shape a
new, more compassionate, global society.
http://bit.ly/2BS0uzE

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Forum on Income Security
Thursday, December 14, 2 pm
St. Stephen’s Community House, 91 Bellevue Avenue
Seeking a Real Roadmap for Real Change Now. Panel of Speakers followed by
Open Discussion:
For more info: kensington.bellwoods at gmail.com
www.kbcls.org <http://www.kbcls.org>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Economy Perspectives: A Forum with Elizabeth May
Fri. Dec. 15, 8 - 9 a.m
Centre for Social Innovation – Annex, 720 Bathurst Street (Meeting Room#1)
Join us for a candid and critical conversation with Green Party of Canada
Leader Elizabeth May as we continue to solicit perspectives on the green
economy. Elizabeth will talk about various issues related to a green economy
including: • Canada’s potential to capitalize on the single biggest business
opportunity in human history – the shift to a green economy. • Investment in
green energy – like wind, solar and hydro – which creates over 7x more jobs
per dollar invested when compared to investment in traditional energy
sectors. • The renewable energy sector – which now provides tens of
thousands of stable, sustainable, future friendly jobs in Canada, and has
the potential to employ hundreds of thousands more. $10
https://registrations.sustainabilitynetwork.ca/green-economy-perspectives-a
-forum-with-elizabeth-may/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally in Solidarity with Catalonia
Saturday Dec.16 @ noon
Consulate of Spain, 2 Bloor St. East (at Yonge)
Free the political prisoners | Defend the right to self-determination |
Canada: speak out against repression
Organized by Toronto Solidarity with Catalonia
Facebook: @TorontoSolidarityWithCatalonia

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Holiday Gift Swap with MAKE Smthng WEEK
Sat. Dec. 16, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
CSI, 720 Bathurst St. (s. of Bloor)
Toronto's largest Holiday Gift Swap is BACK for its fifth year! Why buy
gifts and consume plastic waste when you can swap for that special someone
instead? Hosted by Greenpeace Canada and the Toronto Tool Library.
https://www.facebook.com/events/558040781201223/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Vegan Winter Market
Sun. Dec. 17, noon - 7 p.m.
Lithuanian House, 1573 Bloor W
Curated selection from vegan-friendly local business. $8, adv $5, kids
under 12 free.
facebook.com/events/2109212279104607
http://cookingwithkindness.com/toronto-vegan-winter-market

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Kensington Market Winter Solstice
Thur. Dec. 21
Kensington Market, on Augusta south of College
Ignite the longest, darkest night with Red Pepper Spectacle Arts's 28th
annual parade in the Market. Lantern sales from 4 pm. Meet at Oxford &
Augusta at 6:30 pm, parade departs at 7 pm. Free.
facebook.com/events/353335231796983

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lifting Spirits: Solstice Labyrinth Walk
Thur. Dec. 21, 8:30 - 10:30 pm.
Church of the Holy Trinity, 19 Trinity Square (behind Eaton's Centre),
Labyrinth
A candle-lit labyrinth walk (outdoors) followed by refreshments and singing
(indoors). Come and share the light on the longest night of the year! A
family friendly, ecumenical event. Free.
www.holytrinitytoronto.org/event/lifting-spirits-3

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Addressing the Rohingya Genocide: What We Can & Must Do
Lecture with Prof. John Packer
Fri. Dec. 22, 7 p.m.
Auditorium, Noor Cultural Centre, 123 Wynford
Professor Packer has remained engaged with Rohingyas since the early 90's,
notably promoting awareness of their situation as the world’s most numerous
stateless people and helping the organisation of Rohingya representation and
genuine articulation of their legitimate concerns outside Burma/Myanmar.
http://www.noorculturalcentre.ca/?p=16494

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

WIMA's Woman-Made Holiday Market
Sat. Dec. 23, 10 am - 2 pm.
Trinity-St. Paul's Centre 427 Bloor W
Goods from women-owned businesses. $5/pwyc (no one turned away). WIMA is a
non-profit, self-funded collective, committed to promoting, supporting and
empowering women in business and the arts.
www.facebook.com/events/177943232783776
<http://www.facebook.com/events/177943232783776>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix
newsletter
http://theenergymix.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority
Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM
greenmajority.ca

Three Women
Feminist Radio every Monday 4 - 5 p.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Social Innovation Events
http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shape My City Events
http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/