No Nukes News: Fukushima nuclear waste

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Dec 28 15:50:15 EST 2017

Dec. 28, 2017☢ Quebec Power can lower Ontario's electricity bills 2 min. video with Angela and Jack of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Your support can help us build on achievements – like Ontario’s ground-breaking coal phase-out – and put our province back on track to a sustainable and safe energy future for generations to come.  Please donate today!

The World

☢ The Fukushima nuclear waste crisis is a human rights violation According to the Japanese Government, a total of 7.5 million nuclear waste bags (equal to 8.4 million m³) is in storage across Fukushima. It is stored at over 1000 Temporary Storage Sites and elsewhere at 141,000 locations across Fukushima. And this is just the start. Watch a 2 min. video of the Fukushima waste problem.

☢ Hinkley Point: the ‘dreadful deal’ behind the world’s most expensive power plant Building Britain’s first new nuclear reactor since 1995 will cost twice as much as the 2012 Olympics – and by the time it is finished, nuclear power could be a thing of the past. “Nuclear power is the technology of the past. We should not keep it alive artificially with government subsidies.” - Andrä Rupprechter, Austria’s Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water

☢ The Banana Equivalent Dose of catastrophic nuclear accidents The nuclear industry likes to make comparisons between radiation exposures from eating bananas and routine emissions from nuclear power plants. Here’s why they’re false.

☢ End of a dream as the nuclear power industry dies Cost overruns, accidents, incompetence — the nuclear industry died mostly from self-inflicted wounds.

☢ Atomic Tests During the 1950s Probably Killed Nearly Half a Million Americans A scholarly examination looks at above-ground nuclear tests and the radioactive fall-out, including Iodine-131 which is carried by the wind to pasturelands, and ends up in milk which people drink and which causes thyroid cancer.

☢ Anti-Nuclear Activists Face Crackdown in Russia for Exposing Cover-Up

☢ Singing the atom - 18 anti-nuke songs Some you'll know.  Ontario

☢ Paikin, Wynne & Couillard discuss Quebec water power Why hasn’t Ontario signed a deal for power purchases from Quebec? That was the question host Steve Paikin asked the premiers of Canada’s two most populous provinces. For the sake of Ontario’s beleaguered electricity consumers, let’s hope Premier Wynne’s New Year’s resolutions include a strong commitment to making a deal with Quebec to purchase water power - just 1/3rd the price of rebuilding Ontario's nukes. Please email Premier Wynne <Premier at ontario.ca> and ask her to negotiate a deal with Quebec which will lower our electricity bills by reducing our dependency on high-cost nuclear power.

☢ Jack Gibbons - Ontario Clean Air Alliance - Dirty Coal and Dangerous Nuclear 60 min. audio interview with OCAA’s Chair about their campaign to phase out Ontario’s coal power, and their current campaign to phase-out ON’s aging nuclear reactors and move ON to a renewable future.

☢ Chalk River re-licensing hearings will be held in Jan. 2018. Read submissions from Dr. Gordon Edwards and Anishinabek Nation and Iroquois Caucus.Renewables and Conservation

☼ Alberta’s Renewable Electricity Program attracts lowest renewable pricing in Canada Alberta just purchased 600 MW of wind generation at bid prices that are competitive globally and record-setting in Canada. 3.7 cents/kWh is just ¼ of what OPG says it will cost us to rebuild Darlington (16.5 cents).

☼ Wind is now the cheapest source of clean energy in IndiaTake Action!

☢ Tell Premier Wynne you support making a money-saving deal with Quebec Low-cost water power, not high-cost nuclear rebuilds.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Wynne and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean!

☢ Sign our petition to close the old and dangerous Pickering Nuclear Station when its license expires in 2018. And then share it with your friends. Watch my video here.

☢ Can you spare a few hours to leaflet blitz your neighbourhood mailboxes? Help us make the closure of the Pickering nuclear station a public issue. Contact: angela at cleanairalliance.org

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.

 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book