T.O. Greenspiration Events: two-wheel takeover

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Jan 9 00:29:56 EST 2018

“To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing.” - Raymond Henry Williams

_______________________

_______________________

Two-wheel takeover: bikes outnumber cars for the first time in Copenhagen

“It’s not in our genes, it’s not in our water … What we’ve shown the rest of the world is that if you build protected infrastructure, people will start riding their bikes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/nov/30/cycling-revolution-bikes-outnumber-cars-first-time-copenhagen-denmark

_______________________

_______________________

Quebec Power can lower Ontario's electricity bills

2 min. video with Angela and Jack of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MYdegtt7o

Dirty Coal and Dangerous Nuclear

60 min. audio interview with Ontario Clean Air Alliance Chair Jack Gibbons

http://tmi1979.libsyn.com/jack-gibbons-ontario-clean-air-alliance-dirty-coal-and-dangerous-nuclear

ClosePickering.ca

BuyQuebecPower.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Zero Waste Spotlight

6 min. video. Scarborough highrise shows how zero waste is possible: with over 1000 residents, this building is generating only one dumpster of garbage per month.

http://www.torontoenvironment.org/video_mayfair_on_the_green

_______________________

_______________________

Urge World to Support the Olympic Truce

The United Nations has asked its member states to observe an Olympic truce during the upcoming February 9-25 Winter Olympics in Seoul, South Korea, and for one week on either side. South Korea has asked the United States to delay its war rehearsal flights over South Korea until after the truce. Petition.

https://act.rootsaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=13181

_______________________

_______________________

The Electrical Abuse of Women: Does Anyone Care?

Many are unaware that electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)—more commonly known as electroshock—continues to be widely utilized by psychiatry. “The archetypal ECT recipient remains, as it has for decades, a distressed woman more than 50 years old.” In a comprehensive review of research on ECT, there is “no evidence that ECT is more effective than placebo for depression reduction or suicide prevention.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/12/22/the-electrical-abuse-of-women-does-anyone-care/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's explosive Christmas gift to the world

Matthew Behrens deconstructs Canada's role in global militarism, and it ain't pretty. Trudeau's supposedly "progressive, feminist foreign policy," plans a $62.3-billion boost to war spending (Canada currently spends well over $20 billion annually on war), over $60 billion for new warships, $19 billion for fighter jets, and over $1 billion for armed drones. "It is critical to stop buying the mythology that Canada's military and war industry are any different from those of the U.S., U.K., Israel, or any other regime willing to employ the tools of terror to achieve their objectives. As former general Rick Hillier famously and accurately declared: "We are the Canadian Forces and our job is to be able to kill people."

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2017/12/canadas-explosive-christmas-gift-world

_______________________

_______________________

Noam Chomsky in Conversation with Amy Goodman on Trump, Nukes, North Korea, Climate Change & Syria

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/12/25/noam_chomsky_in_conversation_with_amy?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=b348283cc2-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-b348283cc2-191859373

_______________________

_______________________

The World Needs a New Definition of Activism

17 min. TEDx With Toronto’s Lea Ann Mallett. We are all activists! We are all changing the world, for better or worse.

http://www.leaannmallett.com/ted

_______________________

_______________________

Make Toronto Islands a Bird Sanctuary under the Migratory Birds Act - Petition

https://www.change.org/p/make-toronto-islands-a-bird-sanctuary-under-the-migratory-birds-act/nftexp/nafta_fb_no_share_image/control/487658362?utm_content=nafta_fb_no_share_image%3Acontrol&recruiter=487658362&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish.nafta_milestone_share_ask_1.72_hour_ask&utm_term=share_petition

_______________________

_______________________

Save money, be more comfortable, and fight climate change

Now is a great time to make your home more energy efficient, more comfortable, and to start saving money with Ontario's new GreenON program. GreenON is offering thousands of dollars in rebates to help you reduce your energy costs and fight climate change. Consult an impartial home energy expert who can answer questions and recommend programs that work best for your home 1-888-728-8444. Click here to find all programs and rebates in our area.

https://www.greenon.ca/en/programs?postalcode=m6c3s2&type=Home

_______________________

_______________________

Draft Desmond Cole for Mayor

After 8 years of a stagnant agenda at City Hall, we need someone who can inspire us with a progressive vision for Toronto. A proponent of equity! A champion of change! Join us as we call upon Desmond Cole to run for Mayor in the 2018 City of Toronto Municipal Election.

http://www.desmondcole.ca/?recruiter_id=830

And here’s another progressive candidate running for Mayor: Sarah Clemenhaga

“Creating A City of Joy: I believe in a vibrant, healthy, equitable and beautiful Toronto”

https://sarahclimenhaga.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Oceans suffocating as huge dead zones quadruple since 1950, scientists warn

Areas starved of oxygen in open ocean and by coasts have soared in recent decades, risking dire consequences for marine life and humanity

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jan/04/oceans-suffocating-dead-zones-oxygen-starved

_______________________

_______________________

Your smartphone📱is making you👈 stupid, antisocial 🙅 and unhealthy 😷. So why can't you put it down❔⁉️

A decade ago, smart devices promised to change the way we think and interact, and they have – but not by making us smarter. Eric Andrew-Gee explores the growing body of scientific evidence that digital distraction is damaging our minds. Disconnect to reconnect.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/your-smartphone-is-making-you-stupid/article37511900/

_______________________

_______________________

Action Alert: We need Climate Action in the City Budget

Toronto released its draft 2018 City Budget - and it doesn’t include any funding to implement the TransformTO climate plan. Contact the Mayor, Budget Chief and Toronto City Councillors to call for their support to fully fund and implement the TransformTO plan in the 2018 City Budget. Petition.

http://www.torontoenvironment.org/fund_transformto

2018 City Budget: Time to Have Your Say on the 2018 City Budget

On January 8, 9 & 10, Budget Committee members will hear from members of the public. Don't forget to register!

http://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/2018_city_budget_happy_new_year

Top 10 List of Unfunded City Council Commitments

http://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/2018_city_budget_top_10_list_of_unfunded_city_council_commitments

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Advocacy workshops

Learn to influence your MP

Mon. Jan. 8 and Tues. Jan. 9, 6:30 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Av., 4th floor.

Tired of worrying about climate change?  Make 2018 the year that you take action! In this workshop, academics, former politicians, and activists will mentor you through the process of engaging with your elected representatives. In this workshop you will learn about how our federal government is acting on climate change, and what more is needed to meet this crisis; participate in one or more meetings with an MP, in January 2018 or later, write to your MP to better represent your climate concerns in Ottawa.

For more info: info at justearth.net

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFJs4zxARK0-2ftrjrP8P6YeOaXOqnzOWwryAi9o0X67LEjA/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Good Jobs For All Educational

Tues. Jan. 9, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

United Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St.

Carolyn Egan is co-Chair of the Good Jobs for All Coalition. This important group brings together the Toronto and York Region Labour Council, key social justice groups, and environmental groups like Toronto350. Learn what the Good Jobs for All Coalition has accomplished to ensure that racialized communities benefit from improvements in mass transit.  You will also find out what the group has planned for 2018, and how we can work together to achieve climate justice.

http://www.toronto350.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Julie Gelfand, Commissioner of Environment and Sustainable Development on her Fall 2017 Report

Webinar

Tues. Jan. 9, 11 a.m. – noon

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5484127990946535682

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto’s January Homeless Memorial

Tues. Jan. 9, noon - 1 pm

Outdoors at the Church of the Holy Trinity, 19 Trinity Square (behind Eaton’s Centre)

The Toronto Homeless Memorial remembers those who have died as a result of homelessness in Toronto. This project is maintained by Holy Trinity and other concerned citizens. This memorial service is held on the second Tuesday of each month. Followed by lunch indoors.

_______________________

_______________________

Tom Rand: Waking the Frog: Solutions to Our Climate Paralysis

Wed. Jan. 10, 7 - 8 p.m.

Room 140 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T

Science for Peace invites you to our free weekly public lectures on global issues. Tom Rand, the Senior Advisor, Cleantech, will discuss the challenge of overcoming climate change denial.

https://www.facebook.com/events/167320057359818/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Majority

Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM

greenmajority.ca

Democracy Now

Mon – Fri. 10 – 11 a.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

_______________________

Shape My City Events

http://shapemycity.ca/events.php

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/