T.O. Greenspiration Events: Flourishing of Life for All

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 4 22:24:16 EST 2018

BC finds Kinder Morgan’s Achilles Heel: our inability to clean up bitumen spills

Blog by Greenpeace’s Keith Stewart

http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/blog/Blogentry/bc-finds-kinder-morgans-achilles-heel/blog/61101/

_______________________

_______________________

Feds Quietly Approve Deepwater Oil Drilling Off Nova Scotia

https://www.desmog.ca/2018/02/03/we-re-under-assault-feds-quietly-approve-deepwater-oil-drilling-nova-scotia

_______________________

_______________________

"Do We Really Need to Fly?": Meet the Climate Scientists Walking Their Talk

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/43349-do-we-really-need-to-fly-meet-the-climate-scientists-walking-their-talk

CommunityAIR is a Toronto citizens group promoting a clean, green Waterfront, and advocates closing the Island Airport. Learn why we need to close the Island Airport

http://communityair.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Are Leap movement and advisers to Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn crashing the NDP's party?

An Ottawa gathering on the eve of the NDP convention, brings together Leap Manifesto organizers Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis with advisers to Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn.     Is the time right for ‘populism of the left’?

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/02/03/are-leap-movement-and-advisers-to-bernie-sanders-and-jeremy-corbyn-crashing-the-ndps-party.html

_______________________

_______________________

Recent Study Confirms That Antidepressants Increase Suicide Risk

http://kellybroganmd.com/recent-study-confirms-that-antidepressants-increase-suicide-risk/?utm_content=buffer191e6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

_______________________

_______________________

Johann Hari on How the “Junk Values” of Neoliberalism Drive Depression and Anxiety in the U.S.

“Junk food has taken over our diets, and it is making millions of people physically sick. A growing body of scientific evidence suggests that something similar is happening with our minds—that they have become dominated by junk values, and this is making us mentally sick, triggering soaring rates of depression and anxiety.”

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/1/johann_hari_on_how_the_junk?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=4e312befb3-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-4e312befb3-191859373

_______________________

_______________________

Black History Month

Events held around the city including exhibits, performances, theatre, films, talks, music, workshops and more.

https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=7358261d8c6d9510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

_______________________

_______________________

Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund is accepting applications from grassroots organizers and campaigns

Deadline for applications is February 19, 2018 and is available at https://groundswellfund.ca/apply/ . Please feel free to share far and wide!

And if you know people who have the means, please encourage them to donate to Groundswell to support these organizers – https://groundswellfund.ca/donate/ .

_______________________

_______________________

Robert Kennedy on the Flu Shot

Although all vaccines have the potential to cause serious harm to both children and adults, influenza vaccines—which contain neurotoxic and carcinogenic ingredients such as thimerosal, aluminum and formaldehyde as well as bacterial endotoxin—lead the pack in U.S. reports of serious vaccine injuries. More than four out of five (83%) of the vaccine injury cases (275/332) settled through the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP) for the nine-month period from mid-November 2016 through mid-August 2017 were flu-vaccine-related, including four deaths.

https://worldmercuryproject.org/news/caveat-emptor-science-versus-cdc-on-scary-flu-shot-promotions/

_______________________

_______________________

Action Alert: Important vote on UNDRIP bill – please urge your MP to support it

The House of Commons will debate Bill C-262 on February 5 and vote on February 7 to decide whether or not it will pass second reading. The Bill would ensure that the laws of Canada are in harmony with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Send an email to your MP. Sample message and more info here.

https://mailchi.mp/kairoscanada/ottawa-opportunities-february-5-6-and-801497?e=263028d8f9

_______________________

_______________________

Save BMusique Studio

TCHC's assault on a good tenant who broke no rules and caused no harm, has turned into a pitched battle to keep his amazing music recording studio safe after 30yrs of affordable, high quality service to over a thousand musicians in its unique current location. Monday Feb 5th may be his last and final day there. Please come down and show support. Bmusique Studio is located at 331 Bartlet Ave. Toronto downstairs in Unit B3, (door code 01020), near Dupont and Dufferin.

https://bmusiquestudio.com/

https://www.gofundme.com/defend-bmusique-studio

_______________________

_______________________

Walking with all our Relatives: Food systems and Indigenous protocols of engagement

Tues. Feb. 6, 2 – 4 p.m.

Metro Hall Rotunda, 55 John Street

Join OCIC, Tyra Cox and Alison Cox for an Indigenous Food Security Blanket Exercise - a powerful inter-active simulation, which includes a walk-through-time approach where learners become the Indigenous people and role play in an intense story of truth. Walk away with a deeper understanding of the history between colonial land settlers and the impact settlement had on Indigenous traditional food systems, post-colonial food security, Indigenous health, poverty and land disparity issues.

https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/indigenous-food-security-blanket-exercise/

_______________________

_______________________

Darker Side of Digital: Human Rights Implications of Technology in Canada and Abroad

Tues Feb. 6, doors 6 p.m.

Jackman Law Building, 78 Queens Park Cres., Rm J250, U of T

There’s a darker side to the technology revolution. Commercial spyware and malware tools are being used to track and disrupt the activities of human rights defenders. Privacy is under assault by governments who gather massive amounts of metadata on their citizens – and those in other countries. Technology is being used by some to spread toxic ideologies, disrupt democracy and distort the truth. Join us for this panel discussion.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/darker-side-of-digital-human-rights-implications-of-technology-tickets-298677352?aff=eac2

_______________________

_______________________

Whose Streets? Screening & Discussion

Tues. Feb. 6, 6 – 9 p.m.

Ryerson University School of Image Arts, 122 Bond Street

Whose Streets? is an unflinching look at how the killing of 18-year-old Mike Brown inspired a community to fight back and sparked a global movement. Free. Hosted by Cinema Politica.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-screening-whose-streets-documentary-tickets-42768146678

_______________________

_______________________

Policing Black Lives

Tuesday, February 6, 7 pm

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge Street

A candid discussion on the complicated relationship between Canada's Black communities and the police. With Robyn Maynard, author of Policing Black Lives, civil rights lawyer Anthony Morgan and Toronto Star's Shree Paradkar.

www.tpl.ca/blackhistorymonth

_______________________

_______________________

Dreaming Big: A Teach-In on Media Panics, Academic Freedom, & the Intersectional University

Tues. Feb. 6, 7 – 9:30 p.m.

Eaton Lecture Hall, Room RCC204, 80 Gould Street, Ryerson U

In this era of widening attacks on progressive thought in the university, we’re bringing together thinkers from across the university and the city to help us develop a politics of intersectionality, creativity, solidarity and fearlessness.

https://www.studioformediaactivism.com/events.html

_______________________

_______________________

Flourishing of Life for All: How are we called to be a prophetic voice for action on climate change?

Wed. Feb 7, 7:30 – 9 pm

The Mary Ward Centre (70 St. Mary St.)

CPJ and JEM will host Flourishing of Life for All, a gathering with Heather Eaton. Together, we will reflect on the power and responsibility of religious communities to be a prophetic voice for action on climate change.

http://www.marywardcentre.ca/upcoming-events.html

_______________________

_______________________

Our Home, Our Stories: Indigenous, Muslim and Jewish Communities in Dialogue

Wed. Feb. 7, 6:30 - 8:45 (program starts at 7)

At Congregation Darchei Noam, 864 Sheppard Avenue West, PMDarchei Noam Social Hall

Please join us for an intercultural exploration of “our home” as we celebrate World Interfaith Harmony Week. “Home” has many meanings: where we live, where we come from, where we hope to be. It is our land, our origin and possibly our destination. By sharing what it means to each of us we allow for conversation and understanding to blossom.

https://www.darcheinoam.ca/event/ourhomeourstories

_______________________

_______________________

Governance and Representation: Communities in the City

by University of Toronto / St. Michael's College / McLuhan Salons Series

Wed. Feb. 7, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, U of T

As a part of the McLuhan Salons series, this panel discussion will explore the role of public organizations such as universities, civic institutions, and local communities in supporting the urban sustainable development. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/governance-and-representation-communities-in-the-city-tickets-42103985153?ref=eattnewsrecs&utm_source=strongmail&utm_medium=discovery&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=EBrecommend&utm_term=eventcard&afu=742438946&rank=2&aff=eattnewsrecs

_______________________

_______________________

Canadian Snow and Sea Ice

Wed. Feb. 7, 7 – 9 p.m.

Rm 140 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of T

Science for Peace presents a free public lecture in our weekly series. Professor Paul Kushner is a physicist at U of Toronto who studies global warming in the Arctic. All are welcome. Bring a friend. If you want a certificate, attend six of the 12 lectures per term. If you can't attend, watch it live streamed on the Science for Peace Facebook site and send questions while watching for him to answer during the Q and A session. Or look at it later at your convenience.

https://www.facebook.com/events/147117272618933/

_______________________

_______________________

Desmond Cole

Wed. Feb. 7, 1 – 2 p.m.

Annette Library, 145 Annette

The journalist and political activist speaks to local teens at this Black History Month event.  Free.

www.torontopubliclibrary.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Canada’s Deadly Diplomacy and Mining Justice in Mexico

Thursday, Feb. 8, 7 – 9 pm

Room 330, 113 McCaul St., Ontario College of Arts and Design for the panel discussion, then moving across the street to the lobby of 100 McCaul St., where there will be a photo exhibit, refreshments, and music.

Join us in solidarity with our Mexican guests for an evening of discussion, shared food, and music. We will also be presenting the Toronto premiere of an interactive political exhibit developed in Mexico presenting photos and text describing the social and environmental impacts of the dramatic development of the Canadian mining industry in Canada and abroad. Sponsored by Mining Watch Canada

https://www.facebook.com/events/857113121137714/

_______________________

_______________________

Advocating for Your Cause: Advocacy 101

Thur. Feb. 8, 6 – 9 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina

The in-person workshop will cover the various advocacy methods, when to deploy them (in a Canadian context), the skills needed and pitfalls to avoid. The session will also provide actual examples of failed and successful advocacy efforts. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/in-person-workshop-advocating-for-your-cause-advocacy-101-tickets-41955858101

_______________________

_______________________

Fast For The Rohingya

Fri. Feb. 9, 6:30 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation, The Bigger Bolder Room (street level), 192 Spadina

Development and Peace's Youth Council event with guest speaker Anwar Arkani. Pwyc, donations to Thinkfast appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/events/577776169222126/

_______________________

_______________________

Vegan Market Social Series: A Few of My Favourite Things

Fri. and Sat. Feb. 9 and 10

1565 Dupont Street

We host a monthly Market Socials in our storefront. What's a Market Social you ask? Think of it as an intimate and informal standing cocktail party in our market storefront meant to encourage guests to mingle, share and celebrate food. Events are 19+ Are they always Vegan? Yes. We want people to feel included in the discussion around food, culture and the arts and feel making these events vegan will allow more guests to participate. $60 includes 5-Course Tasting Menu, Coffee & Tea

http://bit.ly/2FzznLA

_______________________

_______________________

Beekeeping 101- An Introduction to Urban Beekeeping

Sat. February 10, 9 a.m - 4 p.m.

Christ Church Deer Park, 1570 Yonge St.

Time to start thinking about spring and bees! The Toronto Beekeepers Collective is hosting its annual full day of beekeeping education. For the nominal fee of $50.00 (which includes a vegetarian lunch), you will receive a full introduction to the fascinating world of bees. There will be workshops on hive setup, bee products, giveaways, honey tasting, pollinator gardening as well as bee anatomy and the joys and challenges of urban beekeeping.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/toronto-beekeepers-collective-12338149681

_______________________

_______________________

Kwe Performance Series: Mother Tongue

Saturday, February 10, Doors 7:30 pm, Concert 8:00 pm

918 Bathurst Street

Native Women in the Arts and the Music Gallery present the Kwe Performance Series: Mother Tongue, a musical showcase empowering Indigenous languages with artists Joanne Shenandoah, Salia Joseph & Kwiigay iiwaans and Nelson Tagoona.

https://musicgallery.org/events/mother-tongue/

_______________________

_______________________

Interested in Home Energy Savings?

Sat. Feb. 10, 2 – 4 p.m.

Fairbank Memorial Community Centre, 2213 Dufferin St

The low-cost/no-cost home efficiency program and workshops are open to everyone. Free. This HESI Workshop is an opportunity to learn some simple, low-cost actions you can take to weatherize your home, helping to improve comfort, reduce your energy bills and protect the planet. Hosted by The Roots Collaborative (TRC), in partnership with ClimateFast and the Toronto Tool Library.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hesi-workshop-tickets-40145300675?aff=efbeventtix

_______________________

_______________________

How to Save the World in a Hurry! – Prep-Com

Monday Feb 12, 1 - 5 pm

Room 253, University College, U of T

Everyone who wants to save humankind is invited. The goal is to produce a single page with a “Platform for Survival.”  NGO activists, professionals, academics, and students —all who are concerned — are welcome. It’s nice but not essential, to RSVP to Metta Spencer, mspencer at web.net and 416-789-2294. Some advisers and partners who cannot be present will participate by Zoom video-conferencing.

www.tosavetheworld.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Where's The Funds? Add 1500 shelter beds this year - Budget Day Rally and Action

Mon. Feb. 12, 9 – 11 a.m.

City Hall, meet at main doors (Queen and Bay)

On February 12, City council will meet to finalize the budget for 2018. The lives of homeless people depend on the meeting's outcome. The preliminary budget funds a maximum of 361 new shelter beds this year, less than a quarter of the 1500 that are necessary to deal with their severe shortage. If this preliminary budget passes, then the horror of misery and death homeless people have been subjected to continues. We cannot let that happen.

https://www.facebook.com/events/540231729668395/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Majority

Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM

http://www.greenmajority.ca/

Democracy Now

Mon – Fri. 10 – 11 a.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/