No Nukes News: From Coal-free to Nuclear-free

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Mar 1 14:49:56 EST 2018

March 1, 2018☢ End of an Era The two tall stacks at the gigantic Nanticoke coal fired power station came tumbling down yesterday. Ontario, thanks to the vision of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance and allies like you, was the first jurisdiction in the world to move away from using dirty coal to generate electricity to help our climate and our health. Today is a day to celebrate this huge accomplishment and also to look to the future – a 100% renewable future.

The World

☢ Japan wants Fukushima evacuees to go home. They're not so sure About 160,000 people left their homes in 2011, after an earthquake and tsunami triggered the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. Today, the government says it's safe for many to return. With the 2020 Tokyo Olympics approaching, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe wants to deliver on his promise that the Fukushima cleanup effort is “under control.”

☢ Abita 4 min. animated film about Fukushima children who can't play outside because of the radioactivity.

☢ America’s Secret Nuclear Ice Base Is Melting Global warming is turning Camp Century into a toxic, radioactive hazard. Here’s more.

☢ Nuclear waste mountains just go on growing Some politicians still claim atomic energy is the answer to climate change while leaving the problem of nuclear waste to our descendants.

☢ Juan Petro Unger speaks out against SNC Lavalin being contracted to build Chalk River’s gigantic radioactive dump 13 min. video

☢ The Age of Nuclear Waste is Just Beginning Dr. Gordon Edwards calls for a national debate on the pros and cons of nuclear power in this 32 minute video interview.

☢ Uranium industry slumps, nuclear power dead in the water Nuclear power has been stagnant for the past 20 years, but uranium mining has continued, driving down prices.

☢ Canada Is Replacing Coal With Natural Gas — And That’s A Huge Problem New natural gas plants can “lock in” high emissions for decades. Luckily, there are lots of other options. Modelling shows wind power can make up 35% of Canada’s power supply. And “Because we have so much hydro in Canada, if you can connect hydro jurisdictions and non-hydro jurisdictions and start to use the hydro to balance the wind. If you can start to link across jurisdictions, a lot more becomes possible.” Here's to increasing ties between QC and ON.Ontario

☢ Powerful Neighbours Hydro Quebec is offering Massachusetts power at a cost that is roughly one-third of what Ontario Power Generation wants for power from rebuilt reactors. We don't need to build a new transmission corridor through a mountain landscape to get this power – we simply need to use our existing connections. It is a no-brainer for both provinces to make a deal. - Jack Gibbons, letter to the editor, Globe and Mail☢ Risking a nuclear catastrophe at Pickering Why would we risk a nuclear catastrophe in the middle of the GTA when we have lower-cost, safer and renewable alternatives, most notably water power from Quebec? – Angela Bischoff, letter to the editor, NOW MagazineRenewables and Conservation

☼ QC can triple sales to ON “We can be a solution for Ontario,” Hydro QC CEO Martel said. “Thankfully, the interconnections already exist. There’s nothing to build.”

☼ Alberta’s Leading the Pack With Cheap Wind Power and There’s Way More to Come At 3.7 cents/kWh — that’s the lowest (non-water) price for electricity anywhere in Canada. The projects will be a boon to local communities because they will pay municipal taxes, fees to landowners, as well as provide jobs particularly during the construction phase. Alberta’s power generation and transmission is not owned and managed by a Crown corporation. Instead, mostly private, for-profit companies provide electricity to Albertans, allowing more room for new entrants to the market. Government-appointed agencies oversee their operations and ensure generating plants and transmission lines keep up with demand for electricity. Ontario listen up!

☼ Wind Farms Are Hardly the Bird Slayers They’re Made out to Be Wind farms killed approximately seven thousand birds in the US in 2006 but nuclear plants killed about 327,000 and fossil-fuelled power plants 14.5 million.

☼ EDF kick-starts ‘unprecedented acceleration’ in renewables as nuclear slides French energy major EDF has pledged to commence an “unprecedented acceleration” in renewable energy deployment having witnessed its UK nuclear revenues collapse in 2017. Similar to the UK, France is at a crucial juncture in its power generation. As many as 17 of its nuclear reactors are could switch off by 2025

☼ Morocco turns the Sahara desert into a solar energy oasis  Morocco says it wants to be the Saudi Arabia of solar energy. Its flagship project is a first-of-its-kind, $9-billion energy plant called Noor, meaning "light" in Arabic, and the size of the city of Paris.

☼ Cheap Renewables Are Transforming the Global Electricity Business Renewables are not yet the least costly option in every market, but the pace of change demonstrates that a tipping point toward a new energy economy is coming, and fast.Take Action!

☢ Canada - do not let corporate profits dictate what we do with our nuclear waste Please sign the petition.

☢ Protect Kyoto! Prevent another nuclear disaster in Japan. Stop the dangerous Ohi plant. Please sign the petition.

☢ Westinghouse - Quit India Please sign and circulate this international statement against the Kovvada nuclear plant launched as Westinghouse officials visit India next week.

☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Wynne and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean!

☢ Can you spare a few hours to leaflet blitz your neighbourhood mailboxes? Help us make the closure of the Pickering nuclear station a public issue. Contact: angela at cleanairalliance.org

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.

☢ Canada – Sign the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons Last year 122 member states of the United Nations voted to approve the text of a Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, but the Nuclear Weapons States voted against it as did most NATO countries including Canada. This petition asks Canada to sign the Treaty.Events

☢ Has the Trudeau Government delivered on its promise of a reformed Federal assessment and approval process? Fri. March 2, 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Webinar on Bills C-68 and C-69. This will be the most significant package of environmental legislation introduced in the federal level in many years. In response, we will be convening a panel of expert speakers on the review process via webinar (with live audience at York University).

☢ Nuclear Waste: EA and Nuclear Projects Webinar Wed. March 8, noon EST. Environmental Assessments: How Bill C-69, Canada's new "Impact Assessment Act", deals with nuclear projects.

☢ From Fukushima to Toronto Mon. March 12, 7 p.m. Sydney Smith Hall, 100 St. George St, Rm. 2118, U of Toronto. Several speakers address the lessons learned from the Fukushima triple-nuclear meltdown 7 years ago, and dangers of and alternatives to the Pickering Nuclear Station.

☢ From Fukushima to Pickering Thur. March 15, 7 p.m. Pickering Public Library, 1 The Esplanade. Several speakers address the lessons learned from the Fukushima triple-nuclear meltdown 7 years ago, and dangers of and alternatives to the Pickering Nuclear Station.
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book