T.O. Greenspiration Events: Engage in the provincial election

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun May 13 22:44:53 EDT 2018

It's Election Time! And that means donating time and money to get progressive candidates elected

Candidates get elected when hundreds of people volunteer their time and donate money. Get involved in a campaign to ensure that Thug Ford and his cronies don't gain power in our provincial legislature on June 7th. Leadnow is organizing some events below to encourage progressives to vote. Pick a candidate in your riding to help. And if you donate money to a candidate, you get 75% back (tax credit) on the first $406 of donations in 2018 when you file your taxes. That is, if you donate $400, you get $300 back.

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario election: Where do the parties stand on the environment?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/politics/op-ed-ontario-election-where-do-the-parties-stand-on-the-environment/article/521560

_______________________

_______________________

ClimateFast election questionnaire on party commitments to climate action

http://www.climatefast.ca/sites/default/files/files/ONTARIO%20PARTY%20POSITIONS%20ON%20CLIMATE.pdf

#Election questionnaire by #ON environmental coalition to party leaders

Great responses from @Kathleen_Wynne @AndreaHorwath @MikeSchreiner No response from @fordnation

http://www.greenprosperity.ca/party-responses-2018/

_______________________

_______________________

Doug Ford Must Fire Far-Right Conservative Candidate Andrew Lawton - petition

https://north99.org/doug-ford-must-fire-andrew-lawton/

Blog Seemingly Run by Ford Candidate Andrew Lawton Attacked LGBTQ and Indigenous People, African Americans and Muslims

https://north99.org/2018/05/09/blog-seemingly-run-ford-candidate-andrew-lawton-attacked-lgbtq-and-indigenous-people-african-americans-and-muslims/

_______________________

_______________________

The guerrilla cyclists solving urban transport problems

>From pop-up bike lanes to painted potholes, here are the imaginative ways frustrated cyclists are taking action to create a safer environment

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2018/may/11/the-guerilla-cyclists-solving-urban-transport-problems?CMP=share_btn_fb

_______________________

_______________________

Victory against nuclear weapons in Toronto

The Toronto Board of Health voted unanimously to support the city council’s reaffirmation of Toronto as a nuclear weapons-free zone after a public hearing on the dangers of nuclear weapons and radiation fallout on April 16. Presenter Zach Ruiter urged that the board to investigate the purchase of the General Electric-Hitachi uranium pellet plant in Lansdowne by the U.S. based nuclear weapons manufacturer BWX Technologies. The board agreed to further investigate the health consequences of the Lansdowne plant.

http://nikkeivoice.ca/victory-against-nuclear-weapons-in-toronto/

_______________________

_______________________

CEOs of Canada’s 12 largest environmental groups grade the federal government on progress toward environmental commitments

https://www.sierraclub.ca/sites/sierraclub.ca/files/publications/Report%20Card%20Release%20-%20Final%20ENG%20May%209-2.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna gave her stamp of approval to BP's offshore oil exploration last week

BP's oil rig began drilling into the Scotian Basin, 300 kilometers off the coast of Nova Scotia. Here's a great piece explaining what's at stake.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/05/08/has-canada-made-itself-vulnerable-disaster-deepwater-horizon

_______________________

_______________________

Civic Hall Toronto

A home for Toronto's Civic Innovation Community. Welcome to Civic Hall Toronto, a unique program in Canada’s largest city that enables government innovators, entrepreneurs, technologists and residents to share, learn and build solutions together.

https://civichallto.ca/?mc_cid=ad956786d6&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

_______________________

_______________________

Global tourism's carbon footprint is four times bigger than thought, study says

Global tourism accounts for 8% of total worldwide greenhouse gas emissions

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/07/health/global-tourism-carbon-footprint-study/index.html

_______________________

_______________________

Vaxxed - the movie

The full feature film documentary is free to watch until May 17 at noon PST. This is an incredible documentary which examines the evidence behind a cover-up committed by the CDC, the US government agency charged with protecting the health of American citizens. Interviews with pharmaceutical insiders, doctors, politicians, and parents of vaccine-injured children reveal an alarming deception that has contributed to the skyrocketing increase of autism and potentially the most catastrophic epidemic of our lifetime.

http://vaxxedthemovie.com/screening-event/

_______________________

_______________________

Soaring Eagle's Camp

Old City Hall, Tkaronto (Queen and Bay)

This youth Vigil & Occupation has been here since Feb., calling for change to the injustices against Indigenous peoples. Visit, share, support.

https://www.facebook.com/sectkaronto/

_______________________

_______________________

The Fifth International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies for Sustainability

May 13-19

Hart House, U of T

http://2018.ict4s.org

_______________________

_______________________

Green Infrastructure Week

Sun. May 13 - 19

Various venues

Green Infrastructure Week offers a variety of free and low-cost events to celebrate our forests, wetlands, parks, rain gardens, green roofs and green walls.

https://greytogreenconference.org/giwcal

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Bird Celebration

May 12 - May 27

See a listing of events here: http://torontobirdweek.ca/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Provincial Transportation All-Candidates Debate

Mon. May 14, 2 - 4 pm

Innis Town Hall, U of T (downtown campus), 2 Sussex Avenue

Transport Futures is staging a transportation debate featuring the Liberals' Steven Del Duca, the Progressive Conservatives' Rod Phillips, the New Democrats' Jessica Bell and the Greens' Mike Schreiner. Moderated by Steve Paikin, host of TVO’s The Agenda, the four politicians will discuss what their parties plan to do about congested roads, transit priorities, disruptive technologies, inconsistent funding, complicated governance and more. Greenspiration subscribers interested in being part of the live TV audience receive a $10 discount by using discount code (DC) GRSP7. This special offer is good until May 11 but seating is limited so register today!

www.transportfutures.ca/debate

_______________________

_______________________

Join Leadnow’s online orientation on the plan to stop Doug Ford

Mon. May 14, p.m.

Webinar

We’re using Bernie Sanders-style Big Organizing and Leadnow’s people-powered model to stop Ford and some of the most hardcore right-wingers from winning their local seat. Together we can drive massive numbers of progressives to the polls and topple far right PC candidates across the province — but we need your help to pull it off. Learn more here.

https://act.leadnow.ca/StopDoug/online/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2018-05-09

_______________________

_______________________

Balcony And Terrace Container Gardening

Mon. May 14, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge, Hinton Learning Theatre, 3rd floor

Learn about the challenges and solutions to gardening above the ground. Discussion will cover items to plan before you choose your plants, thinking about container types and your location. A Master Gardener will share ideas to address elevation, privacy, wind, colour, foliage and dramatic effects. 6:30 pm. Free.

_______________________

_______________________

Call of the Forest: The Forgotten Wisdom of Trees

Free screening and discussion

Tuesday, May 15, 6:30 pm

Annette Library, 145 Annette St.

Take a walk in the woods with acclaimed Irish-Canadian scientist and author, Diana Beresford-Kroeger, as she reveals our profound human connection to the ancient & sacred northern forests.

http://calloftheforest.ca/about/synopsis-and-trailer/

_______________________

_______________________

Challenging Canada’s Human Rights Record at the UN

Tuesday, May 15, 6 - 7:30 pm

Jackman Law Building, 78 Queen’s Park Crescent, Room J250

A community forum on the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Canada. In May, the UN Human Rights Council is conducting its third comprehensive review of Canada’s compliance with international human rights law. Leading racial justice advocates will discuss ways they are influencing the UN review process and the Canadian government’s response.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/think-locally-act-globally-challenging-canadas-human-rights-record-at-the-un-tickets-44882877896

_______________________

_______________________

Starstruck: Fame and Celebrity in the Modern Age - speaker series

Tuesdays, May 15 - June 19, 10 a.m. - noon

Hot Docs Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

Beginning with the dawn of the movies, Starstruck will offer a panoramic journey through the global dominion of celebrity over the past century—from the rise of the Hollywood star system, to the intermingling of celebrity and politics, and the role the internet plays in hard-wiring the idea of celebrity into our brains.

https://hotdocscinema.ca/c/curious-minds-morning-speaker-series

_______________________

_______________________

Drawdown Transport Summit: Reversing global warming

Wed. May 16, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave

Join Unify Toronto for the second of seven Drawdown sector summits. Learn about transport sector solutions to global warming that are already in place and in action in Toronto. Discover how you can help reverse global warming by accelerating what is already working. By donation.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/drawdown-transport-summit-reversing-global-warming-tickets-45147705001?mc_eid=48c86714b8&mc_cid=2ed018d06a

_______________________

_______________________

Ride of Silence

Wed. May 16, 6:45 - 9 p.m.

Matt Cohen Park, Spadina and Bloor parketter

Ride at 7 pm, rain or shine. This will be a short, slow ride, ending at the Peace Garden in Nathan Phillips Square. Ride in memory of the cyclists that we have lost to car traffic. Wear black armbands (some will be provided, ride in silence. Ride Marshalls will provide a group ride back to the start if necessary.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1617410271647833/

_______________________

_______________________

Resilient Toronto: Creating Inclusive, Climate-Resilient Growth

Wed. May 16, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge Street, Atrium

What does inclusive, climate resilient growth look like for Toronto? On May 16, join the Canadian Urban Institute and the City of Toronto for an interactive panel session that will tackle this important question. Audience members will be asked to join our panelists in sharing their ideas for inclusive growth and to help determine how communities, businesses, and government can work together to address climate change, extreme weather, as well as other resilience issues such as inequality, aging infrastructure, housing, and transit.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/resilient-toronto-part-2-creating-inclusive-climate-resilient-growth-tickets-45344344154

_______________________

_______________________

Blue Drinks

Wed. May 16, 6 - 8 p.m.

Pour Boy, 666 Manning

GreenPac and Blue Drink Toronto are teaming up for this networking event. Free.

https://www.greenpac.ca/bluedrinks?utm_campaign=bluedrinks_invite&utm_medium=email&utm_source=greenpac

_______________________

_______________________

Basic Bike Maintenance Workshop

Wed. May 16, 7 - 8 p.m.

Pape/Danforth Library 701 Pape

Hands-on workshop with Cycle Toronto. Free. All ages. Pre-register.

info at cycleto.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Phone bank Mobilization to Stop Doug Ford's PCs

Thur. May 17, 7 p.m.

College Street Unite Church, 452 College St

Our plan is to make thousands of phone calls in to highly-targeted regions, driving progressive turnout and making the difference in crucial contests - but we need your help. We've made it simple to plug in and make calls - can you join us? RSVP for a local phone bank now!

https://act.leadnow.ca/StopDoug/toronto7/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2018-05-12

_______________________

_______________________

Defeating Doug Ford

Thur. May 17, 6 - 8 p.m.

CRC, 40 Oaks

The upcoming June provincial election could put Doug Ford in power. If that happens, attacks on poor and working class people will escalate sharply. Defeating his aggression is possible with planning, appropriate actions, and by drawing lessons from our past. Let's talk now so we are prepared to #FightToWin, no matter who takes power. Join us!

https://www.facebook.com/events/2086627304989075/

_______________________

_______________________

The Invisible Heart

Thur. May 17, 6:30 pm

Hot Docs, 505 Bloor W.

What happens when capitalism and charity intersect? From Wall Street to life on the street, The Invisible Heart tracks the birth of one of the fastest growing social innovations in modern history: social impact bonds. An unorthodox marriage between government services and private-sector investments, this burgeoning financial model promises to solve society’s most complex problems, from crime to homelessness—but is it delivering? Set in Canada, the U.S. and the U.K, this compelling documentary follows the unlikely people banding together to battle social inequality.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=74507~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&epguid=a1a41036-cbe1-4f35-bc34-1ed13d4bd525&=&utm_source=blogTO&utm_medium=Listings&utm_campaign=HDCSeries&utm_content=FCTWInvisible

_______________________

_______________________

Cycle Toronto's 10th Anniversary Celebration

Thursday May 17, 7 pm

SCI, 192 Spadina Avenue

Ten years ago, a group of people came together to bring a new organization into the world. This year, we celebrate our collective vision, look back on the incredible work that has carried us this far, and set our sights on the next decade.

https://www.cycleto.ca/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=36&cs=a31503a62c4dea72d069601070b09437_1525259015_168&cid=10022

_______________________

_______________________

Arctic Warming And Its Impact On Our World

Thur. May 17, 7 - 8 p.m.

Brentwood Library, 36 Brentwood N

Talk by Benjamin Trister of the Climate Reality Project Canada. Free.

www.torontopubliclibrary.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Eyeblink: Smash The Patriarchy

Thur. May 17, 8 - midnight

Gardiner Museum, 111 Queen’s Park

This co-presentation with Younger Than Beyoncé (YTB) Gallery, Pleasure Dome and the Gardiner Museum is inspired by the underlying feelings of rage and empathy witnessed by the audience in Yoko Ono's films Freedom and Fly. $10

https://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/event/eyeblink-smash-patriarchy/

_______________________

_______________________

The Perfect Bubble: Has Capitalism Failed Us?

Fri. May 18, 7 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge, Bram and Bluma Appel Salon

Talk by Yanis Varoufakis, the former Minister of Finance for Greece. Free (RSVP required).

_______________________

_______________________

RetroSpective - a Parkdale Community celebration

Sat. May 19, 10 am. - 4 p.m.

Milky Way Garden, behind the Parkdale library at Queen and xxx

Community celebration with presentations, activities, refreshments, pop-up jams, performances, artists, crafters, info tables and more. Free.

_______________________

_______________________

March Against Monsanto Toronto: It's Time to Take Back Our Food!

Sat. May 19, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Queens Park North to Old City Hall on Young St

Why do we march? Research studies have shown that Monsanto’s genetically-modified foods can lead to serious health conditions such as the development of cancer tumors, infertility and birth defects.Wear costumes, bring signs, and get CHILDREN involved (they are our future)! It's a family event! Bring instruments (drums, welcome)!

https://www.facebook.com/events/209598539634896/?notif_t=plan_user_invited&notif_id=1524978660079602

_______________________

_______________________

Dawn Chorus

Sat. May 19, 5 - 7 a.m.

High Park Nature Centre, 375 Colborne Lodge

Quiet hike at the crack of dawn for a quiet hike to a secluded spot to hear the morning chorus of birdsong as the sun rises. Tons of songbirds will be passing through during spring migration. NOTE: Please check the website for updates as the event will be cancelled in the event of heavy rain or wind. Free. Coffee provided.

https://highparknaturecentre.com/2/special-events

_______________________

_______________________

The Birds Are Back In Town

Sat. May 19, 1:30 - 3 p.m.

High Park Nature Centre, 375 Colborne Lodge

Family nature walk. All ages. Free, suggested donation of $2-$5 per person.

www.highparknaturecentre.com/2/family-nature-walks

_______________________

_______________________

Junior: Big Thoughts For Growing Minds

Sat. May 19, 2018 to Fri. May 25

Harbourfront Centre 235 Queens Quay W

Harbourfront Centre presents a new international children's festival featuring theatre, dance, music and storytelling. Performer include the Monkey Bunch, Quest Theatre & Making Treaty 7, Théâtre Le Clou, Fred Penner, Twin Flames, BoucharDanse, Cas Public and others. Ticketed shows $20, some events free.

www.harbourfrontcentre.com/junior

_______________________

_______________________

Caring For The Planet – Bringing Back Bees, Birds & Butterflies

Sun. May 20, 10:30 a.m.

Don Heights Unitarian Congregation, 18 Wynford, suite 102

Presentation by Dr. Clement Kent, York University Researcher in Bee Genomics. Dr. Kent's presentation will teach how to improve habitats for pollinators in our own gardens and larger landscapes. In his Caring for the Planet series, he offers insights on ethical, philosophical and spiritual perspectives on rewilding the world. Free.

http://www.donheights.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Food Not Bombs Serving

Every Sunday, noon - 3 p.m.

Allan Gardens Park, Gerrard and Sherbourne

We serve the public every week in front of the entrance of the Allen Garden conservatory with two other community groups. We set up tables and food. To volunteer just show up! We accept food and clothing donations on location.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1724301054315661/

_______________________

_______________________

Bike Month

May 28 - June 30

Hundreds of interesting and fun things to do, including rides, guided bike tours, festivals, art shows, film screenings, and so much more.

http://bikemonth.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

How to Save the World in a Hurry

Wed. May 30 and Thurs. May 31

Room 140, University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T

This two-day event will develop a list of public policy innovations to simultaneously reduce six global threats: war and weapons • global warming • famine • pandemics • mass radiation exposure • cyber attacks.

https://tosavetheworld.ca/tickets/

https://tosavetheworld.ca/the-forum-30-31-may-2018/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Majority

Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM

http://www.greenmajority.ca

Democracy Now

Mon – Fri. 10 – 11 a.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

https://www.democracynow.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/