T.O. Greenspiration Events: Stop Ford

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 21 21:49:34 EDT 2018

Sign up to stop Ford's PCs #NeverFord #ONwards

There’s too much at stake if Ford gains total power, which is why we’re going after Ford and the most hardcore right-wingers in the PC party — directly in their local battleground ridings. Sign up for a local phonebank near you!

https://www.leadnow.ca/StopDoug/

https://www.facebook.com/leadnowcanada/

_______________________

_______________________

The NDP and Greens call for the closure of the Pickering Nuclear Station

Pickering's 6 reactors are way beyond their design life, and OPG is calling for a 10-year licence extension. Closing Pickering in August when its licence expires and replacing it with water power from QC would lower bills by $1.1 billion/year. And we could create 32,000 person-years of employment by immediately decommissioning the station, rather than let it sit idle for 30 years before decommissioning, which is OPG's plan.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/ndp-greens-call-for-closure-of-pickering-nuclear-station-in-august/

_______________________

_______________________

What's on the Ballot?

Social Planning Toronto and Ryerson's Democratic Engagement Exchange break down five issues you'll need to know for the Ontario Provincial Elections.

Jobs. Post-secondary education. Transit. Affordable housing. Child Care.

http://www.apathyisboring.org/vote/

_______________________

_______________________

GreenPAC has endorsed eight candidates across the four major parties running in the Ontario Election. These are demonstrated environmental champions who we expect will bring their leadership to Queen's Park and move the needle on the environment both within their own political parties and across party lines. Learn who they are, which ones best match your own values and party preferences, and how you can help build environmental progress at Queen's Park by filling out our quick and easy Candidate Matching Tool.

https://www.greenpac.ca/ontario_election_2018

(Note: I do not endorse GreenPAC's choice of Arthur Potts - nuke booster)

_______________________

_______________________

How and where to vote on June 7th (or in advance polls)

https://www.elections.on.ca/en.html

_______________________

_______________________

Transportation Issues Across Ontario

Recording of the election debate held May 14th on transportation issues.

https://tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/the-ontario-transportation-debate

_______________________

_______________________

$15 & Fairness canvasses

Each canvass below will start with a brief intro to canvassing, and a quick overview of the major points in the $15 & Fairness campaign--beginners and old hands welcome! Each canvass will also end with a 15-minute RadTO-specific debrief.

Monday May 21st, 5:45PM - 8:00PM: Victoria Day Fireworks & Street Party at Milliken Mills Park (Steeles Ave & McCowan)

Saturday May 26th, 12:45PM - 3:15PM: Woodbine Beach (We will meet at the large Olympic pool located at 1867 Lakeshore Blvd, near Woodbine & Lakeshore blvd)

Saturday June 2nd, 12:15-2:45pm: West End outreach, location TBA

Co-hosted by RadTO and $15 and Fairness

For more info and to rsvp contact: Municipal Organizing <municipalorganizing at gmail.com>

https://www.15andfairness.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Community Dialogue: A Public Health Approach to Drugs

Around the world, governments are considering different approaches to drugs. Some countries are decriminalizing drug use and possession while others are legalizing and regulating drugs. How could we change our approach to drugs? What would a public health approach to drugs look like for Canada? Toronto Public Health wants to hear what you think. There are two ways to participate: Join a community dialogue session. Fill out our online survey. See the discussion paper and fact sheets for more information.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people/health-wellness-care/health-programs-advice/alcohol-and-other-drugs/toronto-drug-strategy-2/community-dialogue-a-public-health-approach-to-drugs/

_______________________

_______________________

Challenging the New Hype About Antidepressants

Calling for antidepressants to be more widely prescribed will do nothing to address the problem of depression and will only increase the harms these drugs produce. Adverse effects of the most commonly used SSRI antidepressants include sexual dysfunction, agitation, suicidal and aggressive behaviour, prolonged and severe withdrawal effects and foetal abnormalities.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/02/challenging-new-hype-antidepressants/

Do Antidepressants Work? A People’s Review of the Evidence

Think twice before starting an antidepressant. The studies regularly tell of a treatment that increases the likelihood that patients will become chronically depressed. "I think it is fair to conclude, based on this data, that antidepressants, as they are used now, can’t be said to “work” for society. Instead, they can be said to cause significant societal harm."

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/03/do-antidepressants-work-a-peoples-review-of-the-evidence/

_______________________

_______________________

‘Desperate, Dangerous, Delusional’: Morneau Offers Pipeline Bailout, Asks Pension Funds to Assist

http://theenergymix.com/2018/05/18/desperate-dangerous-delusional-morneau-offers-pipeline-bailout-asks-pension-funds-to-assist/

Trudeau, if you bail out Big Oil you will lose my support

Earlier this week, Federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced that the Trudeau government is willing to write a blank cheque to bail out the Kinder Morgan pipeline and tanker project.

Send your letter to PM Trudeau, Minister Morneau, Minister McKenna, and Minister Carr here.

http://act.350.org/letter/no-big-oil-bailout?akid=43369.1793187.Sfy4k2&rd=1&t=6&utm_medium=email&utm_source=actionkit

The Russian oligarchs behind Trans Mountain pipeline

http://theenergymix.com/2018/05/18/exclusive-justin-trudeaus-devil-of-a-pipeline-deal/

The stories the Alberta government and oil industry don’t want to tell

Perhaps the biggest story getting marginalized in the pipeline debate is the looming cost of environmental clean up for Alberta’s oil industry. The Alberta Energy Regulator has internal estimates that the total cost of cleaning up all Alberta’s oil industry (conventional and oil sands) will run to $260 billion, which could crush the finances of Alberta’s government.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/05/12/opinion/kevin-taft-stories-alberta-government-and-oil-industry-dont-want-tell

Oilsands Tailing Ponds Ticking Time Bomb for Canadians

Alberta has 150,000 abandoned or inactive wells, many of which date back 40 years. Another 100,000 or so wells have not officially declared abandoned or inactive but have been paying no royalties to the provincial government and will likely also become the problem of taxpayers and landowners.

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2018/05/15/Oil-Sands-Tailing-Ponds-Time-Bomb/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=150518

_______________________

_______________________

Spies in our midst: RCMP and CSIS snoop on green activists

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/05/05/news/spies-our-midst-rcmp-and-csis-snoop-green-activists

Canada's spies collude with the energy sector

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/05/18/news/canadas-spies-collude-energy-sector

_______________________

_______________________

Tell City Council to Act on Single-Use Plastics

Contact your City Councillor here and tell them to act on plastics and explore all the options to eliminate, discourage and restrict problem plastics and packaging that can’t be recycled and that pollutes our environment.

http://www.torontoenvironment.org/plastics?utm_campaign=plasticaction_launch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

_______________________

_______________________

A Thorncliffe Park community activist named Zabia Afzal has been reported missing since May 10th. Friends and family have organized searches and a Facebook page at Find Zabia and #FindZabia – please check those out and send info to others in your networks. Posters and other resources are at https://t.co/Rk1zaqV2WK

_______________________

_______________________

Trinity Bellwoods Adopt-A-Tree Program

Queen St W between Bathurst & Ossington

Join the Friends of Trinity Bellwoods Park (FoTBP) volunteer Adopt-A-Tree program and help keep the park's newly planted trees alive through their precarious first four years when their root systems are still shallow. It's easy – sign up for a specific young tree and from spring to fall make sure it gets five gallons of water each week. It's a terrific thing to do with kids or while walking the dog. There are taps in the park and FoTBP provides bundle buggies and plastic jugs to carry the water to your tree.

Contact Katherine, the AAT Coordinator at: adoptatree at trinitybellwoods.ca

http://www.trinitybellwoods.ca/adopt-a-tree.html

_______________________

_______________________

200 sq ft studio for art or office space available within a larger 1,500 sq ft loft for 3 months, summer only. High ceilings, 4th floor walk up, utilities and wifi included, commercial bldg, no living. Limited kitchen use available, bathroom in unit. Sharing ok. Dupont/Ossington. First & last, references. $500/mth. Please  inquire: pei.czech at gmail.com

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto-Wide Organizing Meeting:  People in Toronto don't like Doug Ford's plan to stop the $15 minimum wage!

Tuesday, May 22, 5:30 - 8 pm

720 Spadina Avenue Suite 223

With the corporate lobby and their candidates already organizing to roll back our labour law victories, we must stay organized. Come to the next city-wide organizing meeting in Toronto to help plan next steps! We've got a full week of outreach planned to get the word out far and wide about why Doug Ford's plan is bad for workers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1647179188711436/

_______________________

_______________________

Racial Justice Forum: Lead the Change

Tuesday, May 22, 6 pm - Opening Plenary and Reception

Wednesday, May 23, 8 am - 5 pm

University of Toronto - Faculty of Law, 78 Queen’s Park Avenue

For the past ten years Colour of Poverty - Colour of Change has been engaged in a broad range of racial justice change-making education and advocacy efforts and activities around the province to bring about fair and equitable opportunities and life outcomes for First Peoples and peoples of colour. Join the circle for a strategy and priority-setting discussion for “reconciliation and racial justice change-making” across Ontario.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/racial-justice-forum-lead-the-change-tickets-45555092508

_______________________

_______________________

Reclaiming the Future: Decolonizing hearts and 'mines' in Guatemala

Tues. May 22, 7 p.m.

Amnesty International Toronto Office, 1992 Yonge St

Please join Amnesty in welcoming Sister Maudilia Lopez Cardona from Guatemala as she speaks about the legacy of Goldcorp’s Marlin mine in western Guatemala.  After more than a decade of gold mining the mine is now closed and affected communities are demanding that the Canadian company and the Guatemalan State be held accountable for future human rights and environmental harms. Maudilia will discuss ways in which Canadians and Amnesty members can help.

https://www.amnesty.ca/events/toronto-reclaiming-future-decolonizing-hearts-and-mines-guatemala

https://www.facebook.com/events/172726356778756/

_______________________

_______________________

Doctors In Denial

Tues. May 22, 7 - 8 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge, Beeton Hall.

Dr. Joel Lexchin reads from and discusses his book about the relationship between the Canadian medical profession and the pharmaceutical industry. Free.

_______________________

_______________________

Phone bank to Stop Doug!

Wed. May 23, 6 p.m.

College and Lansdowne

Our plan is to make thousands of phone calls in to highly-targeted regions, driving progressive turnout and making the difference in crucial contests - but we need your help. We've made it simple to plug in and make calls - can you join us?

https://act.leadnow.ca/StopDoug/toronto82/

_______________________

_______________________

Vote Transit Day of Action

Wed. May 23

A TTC stop near you.

Sign up to join TTCriders as we talk to thousands of riders across Toronto about public transit issues in the provincial election and the need for fair TTC funding.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdnAfFKlKPErL6sCR7nl_y_qukb2R3ZaSj7ufEP0eHN3NnQyQ/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Living Workshop #1: Indigenous Context - Residential Schools

Wed. May 23, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

On this experiential journey we will take a full day bus trip to the Largest First Nations Reserve in Canada - the Six Nations of the Grand River, and explore Aboriginal Context: Residential Schools, and Indigenous Land Claims in real time with all of your senses.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/csi-living-workshop-1-indigenous-context-residential-schools-tickets-45700218584?mc_eid=fda7eefeb0&mc_cid=fe347d633d

_______________________

_______________________

ImaginePeace Forum

Wed. May 23, 6:30 - 8 pm

Gardiner Museum, 111 Queen’s Park

Inspired by Yoko Ono’s peace activism, this two-event conversation series pairs artists with academics to discuss how governments and citizens are shaping their future in the digital space. $18

https://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/event/imaginepeace-forum-may-23/

_______________________

_______________________

Freedom for Toure! Tulips for Toure! End Immigration Detention!

Wed.  May 23, rally at 9 a.m. followed by court support 10am - 2pm

Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen W.

Join No One Is Illegal. Pack the courts! This is Ebrahim Toure’s fifth spring behind bars. He is currently Canada’s longest-serving immigration prisoner. Join us to demand Ebrahim’s freedom and an end to immigration detention.

http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/1024

www.facebook.com/events/1966761603636920/

_______________________

_______________________

Ghost Bike Memorial Ride for Douglas Crosbie

Wed. May 23, 6 - 8 p.m.

Matt Cohen Park, 725 Spadina Avenue

A Ghost Bike Memorial for Douglas Crosbie, a cyclist killed on Wednesday, 16 May 2018 on Dundas Street East at Jones Avenue in the Leslieville neighbourhood. Join us, rain or shine at 6:00 P.M. for a 6:30 P.M. departure at Spadina and Bloor. The eight-kilometre route will be mostly on bike infrastructure and quiet streets and we expect it to take about 40 minutes to reach the crash site on the north side of Dundas Street East at Jones Avenue.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1888629174731141/

_______________________

_______________________

We Are All Legal - 4 Short Films on Migration and Conflict

Wed. May 23, 7 - 9:30 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation - Annex, 720 Bathurst Street

We will screen four meaningful films on migration, conflict, and refugees. $7.50 - $15

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/film-screening-we-are-all-legal-4-shorts-on-migration-conflict-tickets-46110479686?mc_cid=b1b4591702&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

_______________________

_______________________

Directly Affected: Pipeline Under Pressure Screening

Wednesday, May 23

Innis Town Hall: 2 Sussex Avenue, U of T

5:30 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. Registration & Light Fare

6:15 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Film Screening

7:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Panel Discussion

8 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Networking Dessert Reception

Join us at Innis Town Hall for a screening of Director Zack Embree's compelling new documentary Directly Affected: Pipeline Under Pressure. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion with Director Zack Embree, Managing Editor of the National Observer Mike De Souza, Independent economist and expert intervenor of the National Energy Board Robyn Allan and Environmental Defence's Climate & Energy Manager Patrick DeRochie.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/24090/event/1?mc_cid=b1b4591702&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

_______________________

_______________________

Great New Protest Music

Wednesday, May 23, 7:30 pm

Tranzac Club - Southern Cross Lounge, 292 Brunswick Avenue (south of Bloor)

The SPECIAL INTEREST group plays conscious, politically progressive and labour-positive songs of protest and hope — music to inspire the struggle for CLIMATE, JOBS and JUSTICE, and to support the fight against Doug Ford and all reactionary forces.  And you can dance!  Catch them in a new, early-evening slot on the fourth Wednesday of every month at the Tranzac club.  Pay What You Can

http://www.thespecialinterestgroup.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Democracy In Action: An Intergenerational Dialogue

Wed. May 23, 7 - 9 p.m.

George Brown College Waterfront Campus, 51 Dockside

WWII veteran & activist Harry Leslie Smith and Ilona Dougherty, Managing Director of the Youth and Innovation Research Project at the University of Waterloo, discuss what it takes to spark action and respond to today's most pressing challenges. Free.

www.facinghistory.org/calendar/democracy-in-action

_______________________

_______________________

Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival

May 24 - Jun 3

TIFF Bell Lightbox 350 King W

The 27th edition of the festival that celebrates queer culture and history on film, features wide-ranging films that entertain, inspire and confront challenges in the LGBT community, plus panels, performances, parties and more. $14, stu/srs $10, galas/special screenings $15-$32, some free events. At TIFF & other venues. #InsideOut18

https://www.insideout.ca/torontofestival/

_______________________

_______________________

Emera: See The Faces, Hear The Voices At Risk From Muskrat Falls

Thur. May 24, 1 - 2 p.m.

Glenn Gould Studio, 250 Front W

Faces and words of those at risk from the lethal Muskrat Falls Megadam in Labrador, which threatens Indigenous people and settlers alike with methylmercury poisoning and mass drowning via catastrophic dam break, will be brought to some of the biggest dam profiteers: the shareholders of Emera, Inc. at their AGM. 250 Front Street West.

www.facebook.com/events/173746446672100

_______________________

_______________________

Raise Your Voice! Election Voting & Civic Engagement For Youth

Thur. May 24, 4 - 5 pm.

Parliament Street Library, 269 Gerrard E.

Join us to share ideas about civic engagement and how you can make a difference. Learn who's who in the upcoming election, how to vote and why voting is important. Snacks and drinks will be provided. For teens aged 18-24.

_______________________

_______________________

Soaring Eagle's Camp Closing Social

Fri. May 25, 6 - 8 p.m.

Old City Hall, Bay and Queen

Social to mark the 83rd day and the close of this form of Soaring Eagle's Camp Tkaronto. There will be conversation, drumming and food

https://www.facebook.com/events/176220849878089/

_______________________

_______________________

DAS8

Fri. May 25, 6 p.m.

Church of the Redeemer 162 Bloor W

Discussion on the government's handling of the 2009 death of Darcy Allan Sheppard and VRU laws in Ontario. Free. Across from the Church of the Reedemer, south sidewalk outside 151 Bloor West.

http://bikemonth.ca/events/1417?location=toronto

_______________________

_______________________

Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Toronto

Saturday, May 26, 1:30 - 3:30 pm

Parkdale Public Library, 1303 Queen St W.

Everyone is warmly invited to join Showing Up for Racial Justice Toronto (SURJ) on for an Open Meeting & Elections Training. This is an open meeting for new folks to find ways to plug-in to the ongoing organizing and action taking place across the GTA. This meeting will be facilitated by white people and aims at bringing white people into organizing for racial justice, but is open for anyone to attend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/166506070698215/

_______________________

_______________________

An Evening with Peter Joseph in Toronto, TZM Town Hall

Sun. May 27, 5 - 8 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation (Annex), 720 Bathurst

Peter Joseph is the creator of the Zeitgeist Film Trilogy, founder of the Global Zeitgeist Movement and author of 'The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression.' His work was a significant inspiration for the Toronto Tool Library team when we launched Toronto's first tool sharing service 5 years ago, since expanded to include Canada's first Library of Things, The Sharing Depot. Peter's searing analysis of the waste and inefficiency embedded in the very operation of the current monetary system - the need for infinite growth and consumption on a planet of finite resources - was a wake up call for us. $5. Pre-register.

https://www.universe.com/events/an-evening-with-peter-joseph-in-toronto-tickets-toronto-VF4K3Z

_______________________

_______________________

The 2018 Peace Iftar:  a Toronto tradition since 2003

Sunday, May 27 (12 Ramadan 1439), Doors Open - 7 pm; Program - 8 pm of ceremony, sacred music, breaking fast, communal prayer, and dinner

Community Centre, 519 Church Street

Join our annual community dinner and celebration that is the Toronto Peace Iftar: The Ramadan Community Dinner. All are welcome – whether or not you are Muslim; whether or not you are fasting. The Iftar is open to ALL regardless of religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, class, or disability* or other status. The Toronto Peace Iftar has been an annual event on the Toronto cultural map since 2003. It is a community and bridge building event that brings together Muslims and Non Muslims of all genders, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, classes, colours and dis/abilities to break bread and eat together so that we may know one another. Cost is 'pay what you can' with a recommended donation of $20 per person to help defray costs.

https://parliamentofreligions.org/basic-page/2018-toronto-peace-iftar

_______________________

_______________________

Silent protest against media censorship

Sun. May 27, 5 - 7 p.m.

CBC, 205 Wellington St. W.

Ontario's broadcasters are hosting a rigged Leaders Debate on May 27th. The Green Party has not been invited, even though they got 233K votes in the last election, they have seats in three provinces, a seat in Ottawa, and they hold the balance of power in BC! Out of 20 registered parties in Ontario, four get an annual public subsidy, due to their public support at the ballot box. That includes the Green Party of Ontario. If voters are already funding the Greens, don't they deserve to hear what they have to say? This kind of arbitrary exclusion represents a complete abandonment of the most basic principles of journalism and political bias. BigMedia® censorship must be challenged and opposed. Join us on May 27th, outside the #FakeNews debate. We'll bring the green tape!

https://www.facebook.com/events/358991004508299/

_______________________

_______________________

Pedestrian Sundays

Sun. May 27, noon - 7 p.m.

Kensington Market, Augusta south of College

The monthly celebration of community, culture and ecology offers car-free streets for people to enjoy and features music, street theatre, local vendors and more. Free. Last Sunday of the month, May to October.

http://kensingtonmarketbia.com/pedestrian-sundays-in-kensington-market.htm

_______________________

_______________________

Bike Month

May 28 - June 30

Hundreds of interesting and fun things to do, including rides, guided bike tours, festivals, art shows, film screenings, and so much more.

Calendar: http://bikemonth.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

National Bike Summit

May 28-29, Ottawa

Don’t miss this unique chance to meet, share and learn from others from across Canada passionate about how cycling can transform our communities and country.

http://www.canadabikes.org/activities/national-bike-summit-2018/

_______________________

_______________________

How to Save the World in a Hurry

Wed. May 30 and Thurs. May 31

Room 140, University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T

This two-day event will develop a list of public policy innovations to simultaneously reduce six global threats: war and weapons • global warming • famine • pandemics • mass radiation exposure • cyber attacks.

https://tosavetheworld.ca/tickets/

https://tosavetheworld.ca/the-forum-30-31-may-2018/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Majority

Live Eco Radio Show every Friday from 11 am - Noon CIUT 89.5 FM

http://www.greenmajority.ca

Democracy Now

Mon – Fri. 10 – 11 a.m. CIUT 89.5 FM

https://www.democracynow.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/