No Nukes News: Where do the parties stand?

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Jun 5 13:50:46 EDT 2018

June 5, 2018Ontario

☢ Ford and Wynne wrong on electricity costs NDP and Greens have the right idea about closing Pickering for cheaper opportunities, writes Angela Bischoff. Read the 4 party responses to our election questionnaire here.☢ Ontario Election 2018: The Green Party GPO Leader Mike Schreiner speaks on The Agenda about ON's high cost and high risk plans to rebuild 10 aging reactors AND extend the Pickering nuclear station way beyond its design life. He calls for no new money to go to our aging nukes, the closure and immediate decommissioning of the Pickering NS, and a move to a 100% renewable future including water power from QC. At 16:00 - 19:38. More here and here.☢ Ontario Election 2018: Positions on the environment, energy and climate change define divisions among ON’s political parties Only the NDP and Greens seem prepared to raise fundamental questions about direction of the province’s electricity strategy, particularly the Liberal government’s proposed “life-extension” of the end-of-life Pickering nuclear plant and the enormously expensive refurbishments of Darlington and Bruce nuclear facilities. The PCs appear to share the Liberal’s unflinching commitment to a high cost, high-risk path focused on rebuilding aging nuclear power plants.☢ Ontario’s hydro: some unwelcome truths The Liberals’ performance on hydro is underwhelming, and the other parties offer voters little better. To avoid past errors, a long-term strategy is needed. By Mark Winfield.☢ First Nation Weighs In On Bruce Licence Renewal "We should not need to fight for the right to be stewards of our land and waters or have a say in how a major development will take place within our territory." More here: “We know that [nuclear] has brought changes to our territory and poses real risks and harms, but these impacts are not acknowledged, we do not yet have sufficient protections in place,” says Anaquot. “Our perspective about these impacts, risks and harms are minimized.” ☢ Renewable is Do-able - Shut down Pickering 90 sec. original music video performance by Tom Smarda and Judy Keffer.The World☢ Trump Plans Coal, Nuclear Bailout in ‘Unprecedented’ Market Intervention The Trump White House is preparing to mandate U.S. grid operators to bail out economically uncompetitive coal and nuclear plants at ratepayers’ expense, in a bid to extend the operating lives of the facilities.☢ Energy groups join together to condemn Trump’s plan to subsidize nuclear, coal plants This will create a bloated power sector deploying outmoded technologies.☢ The 60-Year Downfall of Nuclear Power in the U.S. Has Left a Huge Mess The demand for atomic energy is in decline. But before the country can abandon its plants, there's six decades of waste to deal with. The hopes of a nuclear future with power “too cheap to meter” are now all but over. All that is left is the trillion-dollar cleanup. ☢ Fukushima radiation contamination worse than initially thought Scientists using a new method of detecting radioactive particles have warned that there was a significant release during the Fukushima nuclear accident that could pose a risk to humans.☢ Fukushima mothers tell their story at the UN Evacuees from the nuclear disaster urge the Japanese government to comply with UN Human Rights standards☢ Japan’s government weighs dumping radioactive Fukushima water into the Pacific As cleanup costs at Fukushima continue to spiral, with some Japanese think tanks speculating the final bill could be as much as $470 billion to $660 billion, releasing the water into the sea will surely be the cheapest option.☢ Ocean groups protest radioactive waste dumping “Using the world oceans as a dump” must stop.☢ The Nuclear Dump in the Mediterranean Sea In the beckoning blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea that surround the Italian Peninsula, and which laps at the coasts of 22 countries in Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, a hidden legacy of the Sea being used as a disposal site for radioactive and other toxic wastes for over 20 years is coming to light.☢ Continuing effects at Chernobyl and Fukushima 15 min. audio presentation by Dr. Timothy Mousseau. His research suggests that many species of plants and animals experience toxicity and mutations as a result of exposure to radionuclides stemming from the Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters, impacting development, reproduction and survival.☢ Germany stays on track with its nuclear phase out by 2022 Renewables, including hydro and biomass, should soon be supplying nearly 40% of its electricity.☢ Unanticipated Radioactive Repercussions What is radioactivity, and what makes it dangerous to living things, and potentially catastrophic? A simple primer by Gordon Edwards. Renewables and Conservation

☼ Ontario Greens challenge big parties to commit to 100 % renewable energy by 2050 “As we listen to the three main establishment parties in this election, climate change is barely mentioned."☼ A 100% Renewable Grid isn’t just Feasible, it’s Already Happening These countries are already at, or very near, 100% renewable power: Iceland (100 percent), Paraguay (100), Costa Rica (99), Norway (98.5), Austria (80), Brazil (75), and Denmark (69.4).☼ Scientists Hit Back: Another Paper Claims 100% Renewables is Possible and Affordable ☼ Solar and Wind Subsidies Are a Clear Success The coal, natural gas, oil and nuclear sectors enjoy substantial subsidies, while federal outlays for solar investments and wind are decreasing as their prices decline. Take Action!☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.☢ Can you spare a few hours to leaflet blitz your neighbourhood mailboxes? Help us make the closure of the Pickering nuclear station a public issue. Contact: angela at cleanairalliance.org☢ Support Saugeen Ojibway Nation's right to prior consent on the Bruce nuclear rebuild Petition opposing the Bruce nuclear rebuild.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Wynne and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean! Petition

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters hereto post in your office, school, or local cafe. Events☢ Pickering Nuclear Station Hearings with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission. June 25 - 29, Pickering Rec Complex. Watch in person or on live webcast.☢ No War 2018: designing a world beyond war, legalizing peace Toronto Sept. 21-22
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book