No Nukes News: Nuclear Detour

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Nov 15 11:56:50 EST 2018

Nov. 15, 2018☢ The climate catastrophe and what you can do about it We need solutions now – not decades from now. Our strategy for making efficient use of zero emission renewable power from both Ontario and our neighbours in Quebec is sensible, doable, and critical to our future wellbeing. Please support our efforts to drive these win-win climate solutions forward by donating to our work for a nuclear-free Ontario.

☢ Watch our new 42 second video on why we need to close the Pickering nuclear station now!

The World

☢ Canada Risks 'Climate Change Detour' If New Nuclear Reactors Get Built "We don’t need nuclear energy to solve the climate crisis." And "We can't afford to take this detour right now to enhance the profits of a few multinational private sector nuclear businesses. Every dollar we spend now is important"

☢ Are Thousands of New Nuclear Generators in Canada’s Future? Ottawa is pushing a new generation of smaller, modular nuclear reactors (SMNRs) that do not make economic or environmental sense. Importantly, there is no market for the expensive electricity that SMNRs will generate. They will also impose the other well-known problems associated with nuclear energy — the risk of severe accidents, the production of radioactive waste, and the linkage with nuclear weapons.

☢ Federal nuclear regulator urges Liberals to exempt smaller nuclear reactors from full Environmental Assessment panel review Canada’s nuclear regulator has urged the federal gov't to allow smaller nuclear reactors to avoid lengthy impact assessments, a move that would create an easier and faster path for commercialization of the technology.

☢ Red Light for Canada’s Nuclear Road Map Nearly 2 dozen public interest groups oppose the Canadian government's plan to build, test and deploy a new fleet of nuclear reactors (so-called Small Modular Nuclear Reactors, SMRs or SMNRs) throughout Canada. Read their joint letter. View their Media Conference held in Ottawa, Nov 5, 2018. See the press kit here.

☢ Elizabeth May, Green Party of Canada Leader, Speaks Out Against New Nuclear Technology Investment “Nuclear technology is too slow to develop and investing in nuclear now would take money away from the real solutions that we know can work… We don’t need nuclear energy to solve the climate crisis.”

☢ Gordon Edwards: Nuclear Waste Mismanagement A conversation with Dr. Gordon Edwards: contemporary issues in the Canadian nuclear industry, and a look back at the achievements of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility (CCNR), Canada’s most effective anti-nuclear organization.

☢ One Less Nuclear Power Plant program The citizens of Seoul, Korea, population 10 million, eliminated the need for a large nuclear generating station, equivalent in size to the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, in two and a half years, with a combination of efficiency, conservation and renewables. Video on the One Less Nuclear Power Plant project.

☢ Massive Woolsey Fire (CA) Began On Contaminated Santa Susana Field Laboratory, Close to Site of Partial Nuclear Meltdown “The Woolsey Fire likely released and spread radiological and chemical contamination that was in SSFL’s soil and vegetation via smoke and ash.” - President of Physicians for Social Responsibility-Los Angeles. More here.

☢ Moorside’s atomic dream was an illusion. Renewables are the future The collapse of Toshiba’s nuclear power project in England underlines the fact that new nuclear is a more unreliable proposition than wind and solar. More here.Ontario

☢ Nuclear Waste in the Ottawa River Watershed by Ottawa Riverkeeper. CNL’s (Canadian Nuclear Laboratories) proposed plans will create a situation where we mix radioactive waste and water for thousands of years. This is not a plan Canadians can get behind.

☢ Province wants to hear your ideas for a made-in-Ontario Climate Plan The deadline for comments is Nov. 16. Submit yours now at this link. Read the Ontario Clean Air Alliance’s suggestions here.Renewables and Conservation

☼ Legault wants to make Quebec the ‘battery’ of North America QC Premier Legault wants to sit down in coming weeks with ON Premier Doug Ford, presenting an offer he hopes Ford cannot refuse: rather than investing $20 billion to refurbish Ontario’s nuclear reactors, a better deal for Ontario would be investing Quebec’s renewable power.

☼ Why we need to electrify everything It’s not just industry jargon—it’s a key concept worth understanding, as it's playing a key role in our transition to a society powered by clean, renewable energy.

☼ Alberta increasing solar rebates as the green energy industry grows 500% since 2015 “More and more people are coming into the industry and getting good jobs. The industry is becoming better developed, they’re becoming more efficient in how they install the systems and the price is coming down absolutely remarkably.”

☼ UK renewable energy capacity surpasses fossil fuels Renewable capacity has tripled in past five years while fossil fuels fell by a third.Take Action!

☢ The Federal government through the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission has released a draft licence application to develop small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs) Email your comments to cnsc.consultation.ccsn at canada.ca. For more info to help form your response, see here and here and here and here. Deadline Nov. 20.

☢ Calling Citizen Scientists for Radiation Collection Project We’re looking for citizen radiation monitors. A 1-day workshop to build bGeigie Nano radiation sensors will take place in January 2019, location T.B.A. (likely Oshawa or Toronto). We're looking both for keen workshop participants interested in contributing to citizen science, and for funders whose support can help make the workshop possible for those who can't afford it. For more info see here. If interested in the workshop (either as a participant or as a funder), please send a message to mcneill.janet at gmail.com

☢ Tell the Japanese government: don’t dump nuclear waste into the ocean Please sign the petition.

☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.Events

☢ Come learn about the problem of nuclear waste at Chalk River next to the Ottawa River as well as what we can do to protect our water. Sun. Nov 18, 1 p.m. Doors open at noon with networking, coffee and light lunch, and a photo show animated by Robert Del Tredici, Founder of the Atomic Photographers Guild. 25 Laurier st., Gatineau (Hull)

☢ International Uranium Film Festival – New Mexico, USA Nov. 29 – Dec. 7
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book