T.O. Greenspiration Events: Climate Strike

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Dec 2 23:03:05 EST 2018

Quebec’s youth sue the Government of Canada for its inaction on climate change!

Support the case by visiting https://enjeu.qc.ca/justice-eng

Follow the conversation #YouthvsCanada on social media and spread the word with our communication package. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1bS7slwuE0EeOdavj1TAWa6ICGhmC3kRX

_______________________

_______________________

Video discussion of Ontario's climate plan

Facebook panel with The Canadian Environmental Law Association, Environmental Defence, Green Economy Canada and Greenpeace to discuss what’s good and what’s not good about Ontario’s new climate change plan.

https://www.facebook.com/EnvironmentalDefenceCanada/videos/955480147984681/

_______________________

_______________________

Ford government needs to get into high gear on EVs

The auto industry has been the engine of Ontario’s economy for over 100 years. We cannot afford to lose our auto industry and its good jobs now. To grow and protect our economy, Premier Ford must develop a strategy to ensure that Ontario rapidly becomes a world leader in the production and use of EVs and other low-carbon technologies.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/evs/

Petition: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/green/

_______________________

_______________________

Convert Military to Green Production, or Perish – Daniel Ellsberg on RAI

https://therealnews.com/stories/convert-military-to-green-production-or-perish-daniel-ellsberg-on-rai-13-13

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's Saudi weapons sales a moral race to the bottom

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2018/11/canadas-saudi-weapons-sales-moral-race-bottom

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion: From the UK to Ghana and the US, Climate Activists Take Civil Disobedience World-Wide

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2018-11-21/extinction-rebellion-from-the-uk-to-ghana-and-the-us-climate-activists-take-civil-disobedience-world-wide/

_______________________

_______________________

Apathy is Boring - Become a RISE Ambassador

The RISE program will run for 20 weeks from February 4th, 2019 to June 17th, 2019. This is a great opportunity to gain new skills, build a network of change-makers, and make community impact by creating a project from the ground-up. The deadline is December 1.

https://www.apathyisboring.com/join_rise

_______________________

_______________________

The Anthropocene – special exhibit

On till Jan 6th, 2019

AGO – Art Gallery of Ontario, Dundas and McCaul

A major new contemporary art exhibition that tells the story of human impact on the Earth through film, photography, and new experiential technologies. From the collective of photographer Edward Burtynsky and filmmakers Jennifer Baichwal and Nicholas de Pencier.

https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/events/2018/9/28/anthropocene

_______________________

_______________________

Year-Long Training in Ecopsychology

Friday, April 19, 2019 to Sunday, January 26, 2020

In this training, we work intensively as a small group over the course of a year, going deep into what ecopsychology means. We meet 4 times, one weekend per season.

https://andyfisher.ca/event/third-annual-year-long-training-ecopsychology

_______________________

_______________________

War is Not Green: Climate and Environmental Impacts of Canadian Militarism

Mon. Dec. 3, 7 - 8 p.m.

University College, U of T, 15 King's College Circle, Room 140 (TBC)

Tamara Lorincz is a PhD student in Global Governance at the Balsillie School for International Affairs (Wilfrid Laurier University). Her research interests are the military’s impacts on the environment and climate change, the intersection of peace and security, gender and international relations, and military sexual violence. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/war-is-not-green-climate-and-environmental-impacts-of-canadian-militarism-tickets-52406664745?invite=&err=29&referrer=&discount=&affiliate=&eventpassword=

_______________________

_______________________

Art and Survival

Monday December 3, 8 pm

Koerner Hall (on Bloor near Avenue Rd)

As artists grapple with the implications of our current geological epoch, in which humans are the primary cause of permanent planetary change – we invite them to enter into conversation around humanity’s massive and destructive reengineering of the planet. Join us on December 3, 2018 for another edition of AGO Creative Minds as creative thinkers take the stage to discuss how best to demonstrate and bridge the gap between knowledge and action. From pipeline blockades to poetic meditations on melting icebergs, artists are consumed with a sense of urgency around climate and have a vast toolbox of tactics to incite social and political change. For many, passively waiting for the future to be better is not a strategy — and it is not an option. How can art be a catalyst for change? $24.50 - $79.50

http://agocreativeminds.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Smart Mobility Summit

Mon. Dec. 3

Double Tree by Hilton Hotel, Toronto

Learn about British, Swedish and American city regions that are managing and integrating roads, transit, car/bike/scooter sharing, goods movement, automated vehicles, mobility pricing, big data and general funding in their transportation plans. A panel of Canadian experts will then apply lessons from the international case studies to the Ontario context and discuss how the public and private sector can prepare for a customer-oriented, multi-modal future looking out to 2028.

http://www.transportfutures.ca/smart

_______________________

_______________________

Rally for Real Affordable Housing

Tues. Dec. 4, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West

Toronto is rapidly becoming a city for the rich and wealthy developers. Join ACORN members and housing allies to demand REAL affordable housing from John Tory and the new city council.

https://www.facebook.com/events/196627014607509/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Affordable Housing Town Hall

With NDP MPP Jessica Bell

Tues. Dec. 4, 6;:30 - 8 p.m.

Alliance Francaise, 24 Spadina Rd (1 block north of Bloor)

Toronto is in the midst of an affordable housing crisis. With the wait list for affordable housing nearing 200,000 people, the City's vacancy rate hovering around 1% and the new provincial government announcing the end to recently won rent control regulations, finding a place to live in Toronto is extremely difficult. Join NDP MPP Jessica Bell to discuss how we can advocate for change, learn about our rights and organize against things like illegal evictions and bad landlords. She will be joined by MPP Suze Morrison (NDP Critic for Housing), Councillor Mike Layton, Kensington-Bellwoods Community Legal Services, the Federation of Metro Tenants' Association and ACORN.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1868401376547255/

_______________________

_______________________

TEA's Greener City Celebration

Tues. Dec. 4, Doors at 6 pm. Show at 7:30.

Lula Lounge (1585 Dundas St West)

Join the Toronto Environmental Alliance for an evening of celebration, engaging speakers, good humour and local heroes.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/celebration?utm_campaign=gcc_launch_gen_nov1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

_______________________

_______________________

Bargaining for the Common Good

Tuesday, Dec. 4, 7 pm

55 Dundas Street West, TRS1-067, Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University

How are union activists building power in Trump’s America? Are there insights for Ontario labour and community activists today? Broadbent Institute features speaker Mary Cathryn Ricker of the American Federation of Teachers to share her pioneering work on centering community demands in union bargaining and building power for both unions and greater communities in times of crisis. This is followed by a one-on-one discussion with journalist Elamin Abdelmahmoud.

http://www.broadbentinstitute.ca/bargaining_for_the_common_good_with_mary_cathryn_ricker

_______________________

_______________________

Townhall: Ford's Attack on Social Assistance

Wed. Dec. 5, 6 - 8 pm

St. Luke's United Church, 353 Sherbourne Street

The Ford government announced its planned changes to social assistance on November 22. It is clear they intend to use social assistance as a weapon in their war on the poor. OCAP's analysis of the announcement can be read here: http://ocap.ca/social-assistance-reforms-response/  Join us at the townhall to help make sense of the changes, and to talk about how we're going to fight back. Dinner Provided.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1930109880436727/

_______________________

_______________________

Back to the Future: Turning Passion into Stories

Wed. Dec. 5, 6 - 7:30 p.m.

The Connections Gallery, 1840 Danforth Ave (between Coxwell & Woodbine TTC stations)

The ENDANGERED exhibit brings together two photographers who have recorded significant archaeological and natural sites at risk from development, climate change, and, simply, time. After years using film, both are now pushing digital’s outer boundaries to enhance their stories, bringing the past into the future. Monica and Phil will talk about how their story making has evolved: why they do what they do, how the landscapes they love are important, and what they intend their bodies of work to evoke.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/back-to-the-future-turning-passion-into-stories-tickets-53024833705

_______________________

_______________________

What Is to Be Done? Navigating the Political Moment

Thursday Dec. 6, 7 - 9 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Avenue  (north of St. George subway station)

Brent Patterson is a political activist and writer - you can read his excellent articles at http://rabble.ca/category/bios/brent-patterson Brent has worked in solidarity with revolutionary Nicaragua, advocated for the rights of prisoners in jails and federal prisons, taken part in civil disobedience actions in Toronto's financial district and at the Ontario Legislature, and participated in street protests at the Battle of Seattle and at UN climate summits. He supported cross-country activism at The Council of Canadians for almost 20 years.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1892797064138106/

_______________________

_______________________

December 6th Vigil - Women Won't Forget

Thur. Dec. 6, 6 - 7 p.m.

Philosopher's Walk, U of T

Join us as we remember the women murdered by men and as we work for change. There will be speakers, musicians and a ceremonial laying of roses on the boulder. This is an outdoor vigil and takes place regardless of weather. Please dress warmly. Everyone welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/events/278944886063526/

_______________________

_______________________

Tomorrow – Documentary Screening

Thur. Dec. 6, 7 - 10 p.m.

79 Hiawatha Rd. (south of Gerrard between Greenwood and Coxwell)

Numerous scientific reports showing a world faced with possible extinction before the end of the 21st century, prompted the filmmakers, Cyril Dion and Melanie Laurent, to visit ten countries figuring out what may lead to this disaster, and above all how to avoid it. Showing solutions, telling a feel-good story...this may be the best way to solve the ecological, economic and social crises that our nations are going through.

https://www.facebook.com/events/575244576260112/

_______________________

_______________________

FridaysforFuture School Climate Strike

Fri. Dec 7, noon - 2 p.m.

Queen's Park, University Ave and College St.

This event is for and with children and youth - and will be first of many events to be held on the first Friday of every month as we build a youth voice for climate action. In solidarity with Greta Thunberg in Sweden and climate activists and youth worldwide, we are calling on our elected representatives to take urgent and just action on climate change before it is too late. We encourage others in the GTA to either join us or create their own events in solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2264546966950540/

_______________________

_______________________

TTCrider’s Second Annual Trivia Night

Friday, December 7, 6:30 - 8:30 pm

452 College Street West

How many stops did John Tory’s original SmartTrack plan have? Which Canadian celebrity recorded TTC announcements to stop toenail clipping on the subway? We had such a great time at last year’s trivia fundraiser, we’re making it an annual event. We hope you can join us for a delicious dinner, celebration of TTCriders’ accomplishments, and a trivia tournament.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ttcriders-annual-trivia-night-fundraiser-tickets-51984896224

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Emergency! Time for bold climate action!

Sat. Dec. 8, 1 - 3 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.

What’s with our provincial climate action plan? If you are outraged about following the Australia model, and paying polluters to reduce, rather than charging them to pollute, be sure to attend! We’ll have butter tarts and hot chocolate and we’ll plan our response, how we can push for a stronger provincial climate action plan. We need to be VOCAL in our call for climate accountability and leadership in Ontario. You will learn:

- What was the input to the consultation?

- What is in the provincial plan?

- What can we do during the 60 day review period?

- Meetings - with MPPs -during consultation - how can we reach out to ridings around Ontario?

- Report from COP 24 in Poland - it is running from Dec 2 - 14th - we’ll have an update for you!

- And we’ll discuss other ways to push for climate action in Ontario and Canada

https://www.facebook.com/events/1911274648969837/

_______________________

_______________________

A Christmas Carol

Recreated by Jeff Cottam (a really fine British actor / director), with Bruce Ley (talented musician and composer)

Saturday Dec 8, 7:30 pm

Roncesvalles United Church, 214 Wright Ave.

Charles Dickens' classic story is about how Ebeneezer Scrooge, confronted with his mean-spirited ways, gets a second chance at life. Watch his transformation into the best uncle Tiny Tim could hope for. A fundraiser for Partera Peacebuilders International, which does great work with local people in conflict zones around the world, in support of peace-making efforts such as conflict transformation training with former child soldiers in Sudan, and, human rights training with emerging women leaders in a region of tribal conflict in NE India. Tickets are $20 for adults. Children 12 and under are free.  Tickets can be purchased at Another Story Bookshop on Roncy, or, at the door.

http://www.partera.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/DundasRoncesvallesPeaceGarden/photos/p.2190125707665226/2190125707665226/?type=3&theater

_______________________

_______________________

Celebrate! The City We Fight For

Sun. Dec. 9, 8 p.m.

Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick, Main Hall

The newly elected Toronto City Council holds its first meeting on December 4, 2018. Following a week of activism, come out to celebrate and support the struggle to build a city of social justice & solidarity. A Party and Fundraiser in support of RadTO’s Municipal Organizing

https://www.citywefightfor.org

https://www.facebook.com/events/289712144984321/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/events/listing

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/