T.O. Greenspiration Events: Blessings of the season

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 17 00:43:36 EST 2018

“Our Leaders Are Behaving Like Children”: Teen Climate Activist Confronts World Leaders at U.N. Summit

Incredible speech at the UN Climate summit by Swedish teen climate activist Greta Thunberg.

https://www.democracynow.org/2018/12/11/our_leaders_are_behaving_like_children?fbclid=IwAR0ZeE2jBnqiTIHkgCE-pMB37IzuBWihjHI5BDJXDTTD1vV8-tJd9c3L1fA

Climate Scientist: World’s Richest Must Radically Change Lifestyles to Prevent Global Catastrophe

"Rather than necessarily always focusing on countries, we need to focus on the people who are actually emitting. So the idea that 10% of the global population are responsible for 50% of global emissions, or 20% of the global population are responsible for 70% of all global emissions, tells us that we need to be tailoring our policies towards that small group, rather than trying to squeeze the emissions out of the majority of the world’s population, who are hardly emitting anything at all.” https://www.democracynow.org/2018/12/11/scientist_kevin_anderson_worlds_biggest_emitters?fbclid=IwAR3ezRZPVTY3p06WFzj8TIMkPJx850PQQB8Um41iH4GlD6FHl7oQnG33cWo

_______________________

_______________________

Canada needs its own Green New Deal: it's time for Powershift

If you’re a young person, register now for PowerShift, a weekend long summit for young people across Canada. Powershift is going to supercharge the climate movement in 2019. Work with young organizers from across Canada to launch the next phase of the push for a made-in-Canada Green New Deal. Join us Feb. 14 - 18, 2019, a four day youth climate justice convergence being held in Ottawa, on the land of the Algonquin, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, and Anishinabek.

https://powershiftcan.nationbuilder.com/?recruiter_id=350org&utm_medium=email&utm_source=actionkit

The Game-Changing Promise of a Green New Deal

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/27/green-new-deal-congress-climate-change/

Activist urges WWII-level global effort to fight climate change

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-current/segment/15648744

_______________________

_______________________

Guide to Communicating Carbon Pricing

https://climateoutreach.org/resources/guide-to-communicating-carbon-pricing/

_______________________

_______________________

The planet is having a cow

We're headed for an 80 per cent increase in greenhouse gas emissions from animal agriculture if global dietary trends continue to go unchecked. Is it a coincidence that the most toxic industry on earth – one that inflicts violence and suffering on animals – is threatening to kill us all? But there is good news - vegetarians and vegans now make up almost 10 per cent of the Canadian population.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/agriculture-climate-change/

_______________________

_______________________

Up in the Air

Mon. Dec. 17, 6 p.m.

Online

For nearly two decades, a group of Prince Edward County residents have been supporting wind energy initiatives. The White Pines project near Milford looks to be the answer to that quest. But with four of the nine turbines up and ready to capture wind energy, the provincial government recently halted the project. The County Sustainability Group presents Up in the Air, a short film about the wind turbine project in Prince Edward County. Watch the film premiere here:

https://www.facebook.com/upintheairdoc/

_______________________

_______________________

TTC Board Welcome Party: Rally to stop fare hikes

Tues. Dec. 18, 12:15 pm

City Hall

The TTC is planning to increase fares in 2019 so we're holding a rally before the very first meeting of the TTC Board. Help us deliver a giant welcome card signed by transit riders to introduce TTCriders and our demands for a fairly funded TTC, lower fares for all, and more frequent and reliable transit service. Or download your own mini-card and we'll deliver it for you!   https://www.facebook.com/events/309841142949295/

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ttc-board-welcome-party-tickets-52322772822

_______________________

_______________________

Animals Beyond Borders 8

Wed. Dec. 19, 6 - 11 p.m.

Ralph Thornton Community Centre, 765 Queen Street East

Animals Beyond Borders is an annual fundraiser for Toronto Pig Save! Now in it's 8th year, this is an evening of captivating speakers, music, delicious vegan food, silent auction, networking, and more! Please join us in celebrating the hard and often heart-wrenching, work of dedicated activists throughout the 2018 year and support our grassroots activist movement here in Toronto.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/animals-beyond-borders-8-tickets-52008850873

_______________________

_______________________

Idle No More Toronto Round Dance for Indigenous Rights

Fri. Dec. 21, 1:15 - 1:45 p.m.

Yonge-Dundas Square

Join us as we gather to remind Canadian government that Indigenous Rights are recognized and affirmed. We do not accept the Government's current draft of its "Indigeous Right's Framework". Honour the Treaties and our Nation to Nation agreements, no top down approach from the government, and no partnership with Canadian government.

We must be consulted. We will exercise our self-determination and self-government. Pass Bill C-262 The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2196806890559308/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/